TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #151
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yes, but I am not a family. I am one person and one TiVo. That is why profiles would be of very little value to me.

Custom folders, however, could benefit both single people and family units. And even if I were a family unit (of 2 which is most common for non-single), I would be almost as annoyed.... big whoop, now instead of having a flat list of hundreds of things, I would have half a flat list of hundreds of things.
I'm one person too, but for me it seems like custom folders would mean more work for me. And I would still have a very, very long My Shows list. With profiles I could have better management and also not have to deal with extremely large lists. Since the My Shows list would be split up between multiple profiles.

With customs folders I would still have to navigate down many pages to find the folder I want. I typically want my list by the order it was recorded but with the list being super long I have to go back and forth between being sorted by name and being sorted by date. With a shorter list that profiles would give me I wouldn't need to switch back and forth. I could keep it sorted by date.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #152
steve614
what ru lookin at?

At this point, I don't know that there would be that much difference whether it's called profiles or custom folders, that is if there isn't a limit put on how many profiles you can create.

Either one could be made to accomplish the same thing and either one would probably require drilling down into the menus to get to a specific recording.

Does anyone think there is a difference between profiles and custom folders and what would they be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #153
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

[quote=aaronwt;9870769]I'm one person too, but for me it seems like custom folders would mean more work for me. [quote]

? No, you just create some folders in the way you want and set your season passes to put things where you want and you are mostly done.

Quote:
And I would still have a very, very long My Shows list.
??? No, you could direct new shows to folders, which is what profiles would do but with only one level and no control like custom folders would enable.

Quote:
With profiles I could have better management and also not have to deal with extremely large lists. Since the My Shows list would be split up between multiple profiles.
I don't think you understand my vision of custom folders.... See above.

Quote:
With customs folders I would still have to navigate down many pages to find the folder I want.
No, not if they were organized. That is the whole point of NESTED directories.

Quote:
I typically want my list by the order it was recorded
Well, then you would have an issue- you can't have it both ways- ordered/categorized and yet in order of recorded (except with each folder). Think of it like an Email client with multiple nested folders AND auto filters. I have my inbox split into many sections with filters directing new messages to appropriate places.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #154
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
At this point, I don't know that there would be that much difference whether it's called profiles or custom folders, that is if there isn't a limit put on how many profiles you can create.
There is a HUGE difference. Profiles would presumably just be ONE directory level, not multiple. And the mechanism to switch between profiles is unlikely to be as simple as just moving to another directory (although that COULD be implemented that way). And I am guessing there would be no mechanism for moving programs from one to the other (although who knows).

It is highly unlikely they will offer custom folders at all, much less nested. And just as unlikely the profiles would have nested options either. They do share similarities, depending on how they are implemented, though.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #155
aaronwt
HD Addict

[quote=crxssi;9871479]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Well, then you would have an issue- you can't have it both ways- ordered/categorized and yet in order of recorded (except with each folder). Think of it like an Email client with multiple nested folders AND auto filters. I have my inbox split into many sections with filters directing new messages to appropriate places.
I'm not a fan of a bunch of nested folders. I only would want titles in each folder, not more folders.

Of course it remains to be seen if TiVo will offer something. But they really need to offer something to help with the organization of the My SHows List. Because it is really becoming a pain for me with the amount of content I have on a 3TB drive. I couldn't imagine having the 8TB option from Weaknees.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #156
jrtroo
User

I would expect profiles to be able to include the same program in different profiles, so a show could be in the Mom profile and Family profile at the same time. i would also expect that switching profiles would be made simple, perhaps a good use of the color code buttons that have little functionality. We will just have to wait and see.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #157
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
There is a HUGE difference. Profiles would presumably just be ONE directory level, not multiple. And the mechanism to switch between profiles is unlikely to be as simple as just moving to another directory (although that COULD be implemented that way). And I am guessing there would be no mechanism for moving programs from one to the other (although who knows).

It is highly unlikely they will offer custom folders at all, much less nested. And just as unlikely the profiles would have nested options either. They do share similarities, depending on how they are implemented, though.

Fwiw Netflix profiles allows for extremely easy switching bt profiles as well as the ability to have to same things in multiple profiles.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #158
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
I just checked when I saw this and it seems I was getting a V112 error streaming from the Plus to the Pro. It worked from the Pro to the Plus however. By the time I could get back to the Pro it's working again. Seems intermittent and I cannot reproduce. When I had the issue on the Pro it worked fine streaming from the Elite.
That is the error I am getting (V112).