TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
jjeff

Tivo HD going back to live TV during watching program using guide

OK this has happened 3 times in the last couple days so I assume it's a bug with a recent revision?
While watching a program from my NOW PLAYING list and also displaying the guide, my Tivo HD has kicked me out of what I was playing and returned me to live TV(with the guide screen still up). When I dismiss the guide and go back into my NOW PLAYING list and bring up the program I was watching it starts from the beginning(no option to RESUME play). All I can think of is Tivo had some kind of version download and it has a bug....kind of a bummer as I frequently bring up the guide while playing a program and now I have to go back into it and scan to get to the point I was before getting kicked out.
Anyone else have this problem?
Platform:Series3
Software Version:11.0k-01-2-652
jjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
OK this has happened 3 times in the last couple days so I assume it's a bug with a recent revision?
While watching a program from my NOW PLAYING list and also displaying the guide, my Tivo HD has kicked me out of what I was playing and returned me to live TV(with the guide screen still up). When I dismiss the guide and go back into my NOW PLAYING list and bring up the program I was watching it starts from the beginning(no option to RESUME play). All I can think of is Tivo had some kind of version download and it has a bug....kind of a bummer as I frequently bring up the guide while playing a program and now I have to go back into it and scan to get to the point I was before getting kicked out.

You're unit should have updated to 11.0m by now, although that's probably unrelated.

I seem to remember seeing something at some point about the original single tuner TiVos, since they didn't have a second tuner to which to toggle, having a different code when you hit the Live TV button on the remote, and using one of those remotes on a dual tuner unit changing some response of its, and I seem to remember TCF'er dianebrat being the one who knew about that.

Maybe your problem, if it started recently, is somehow connected to that.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
sfhub

Quote:
I tried to duplicate the behavior you described but couldn't.

Started playing a show, skipped to 5 min mark, brought up channel guide, let it sit there for 8 min with show still playing back, never went to livetv.

Selected a channel from the guide, then went back to now showing, show had resume option showing and playback continued where it left off.

This is on 11.0m unlike your unit which is on 11.0k
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
unitron

But he should have been on 11.0k a year or 3 before this started, so if it were going to be the cause it seems like the problem should have popped up long before now.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
sfhub

I think you are reading too much into it.

I'll restate so it is clearer. I tried to duplicate on my unit which happens to be running 11.0m but couldn't do so.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

But the point is, 11.0k was released what 2 years ago (?), and if it were a software bug, the OP would have been affected long ago.

So it's not a problem because of 11.0k.

BTW, 11.0m was released a while back. The question the OP should be asking, is why his Tivo hasn't downloaded it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
unitron

Am I the only one who remembers something about a possible bug caused by the difference in S1 remotes and dual tuner remotes or something like that related to what the live TV button does on which machines?

Old 10-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

anytime I see weird behavior on a tivo, I reboot. Let us know if that does the trick.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
But the point is, 11.0k was released what 2 years ago (?), and if it were a software bug, the OP would have been affected long ago.

BTW, 11.0m was released a while back. The question the OP should be asking, is why his Tivo hasn't downloaded it yet.
Have you considered that sometimes people get confused and type k instead of m and he actually received m recently?

I merely pointed out that it doesn't happen on my m unit but you are changing that to mean I am focused on this being a software issue when all I am doing is providing a data point for him to narrow down possibilities.

So your theory is he changed remotes recently but didn't realize it? Or what are you suggesting caused the change in reaction to his unchanged remote?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Have you considered that sometimes people get confused and type k instead of m and he actually received m recently?

I merely pointed out that it doesn't happen on my m unit but you are changing that to mean I am focused on this being a software issue when all I am doing is providing a data point for him to narrow down possibilities.

So your theory is he changed remotes recently but didn't realize it? Or what are you suggesting caused the change in reaction to his unchanged remote?
I think you have me confused with unitron on the remote thing.

As for the intent of your mentioning the software version, point taken.
I guess the way you worded things just confused me. I was inferring a meaning you apparently didn't intend.

As for the OP problem, jrtroo probably has the answer. A hard reboot (pulling the plug) it the first thing one should do when a quirk like this rears its ugly head.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I think you have me confused with unitron on the remote thing.

As for the intent of your mentioning the software version, point taken.
I guess the way you worded things just confused me. I was inferring a meaning you apparently didn't intend.

As for the OP problem, jrtroo probably has the answer. A hard reboot (pulling the plug) it the first thing one should do when a quirk like this rears its ugly head.
But if one is going to do a hard reboot, allow me to suggest that one do a soft reboot ("Restart the TiVo DVR") and after the 3 thumbs down and hitting enter pull the plug as soon as the screen blanks, so that the software on the drive is prepared for being shut down.

Can't hurt.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
jjeff

Quote:

Sorry guys, couldn't get back to TC and finally found out it was because of a corrupted or bad cookie Anyway, yes I still have 11.0k, not sure why or if there is a way to force a update to what sounds like the current 11.m.....
Oh and even though I've been doing everything the same I haven't had the problem happen again since I posted about it I had never had it happen before and it's something I do very frequently so I was very surprised when it happened not once but 3 times within a few days.
Thanks for those who tried to help and if it happens again I'll try what was suggested, to pull the plug for a minute(after first doing a soft shutdown) and see if that fixes it, sounds like it's not a very common problem and is all but impossible to duplicate.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Sorry guys, couldn't get back to TC and finally found out it was because of a corrupted or bad cookie...
How did you find that out?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
jjeff

I had a very PC literate relative look at it this past weekend, I believe he cleared all my cookies for this site, then I had to find the PW again.....
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I had a very PC literate relative look at it this past weekend, I believe he cleared all my cookies for this site, then I had to find the PW again.....
Oh, okay, just wanted to make sure it had nothing to do with the "expired cookie" TiVo problem from last February (which was not a PC web browser problem or PC problem at all, unless you were trying to use the TiVo Desktop program on the PC, and even then the problem was apparently really in the software on the TiVos themselves, which is why S2s recently got updated from "b" to "c" and S3s from "k" to "m").

Old 12-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
jjeff

Quote:
Well it's happened twice since I originally posted it, most notably yesterday, still same SWV.....
So it sounds like no new software update explain why I never had this happen before but now on rare occasion I do...oh well it's really a very small annoyance on a otherwise 100% reliable box. Oh when it happened yesterday I tried to repeat it, even going to the same part in the recording and bringing up the guide and dismissing it like before but I couldn't repeat it, weird
Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Well it's happened twice since I originally posted it, most notably yesterday, still same SWV.....
So it sounds like no new software update explain why I never had this happen before but now on rare occasion I do...oh well it's really a very small annoyance on a otherwise 100% reliable box. Oh when it happened yesterday I tried to repeat it, even going to the same part in the recording and bringing up the guide and dismissing it like before but I couldn't repeat it, weird
Do you still have the original 160GB hard drive in there?

Have you eyeballed the power supply capacitors lately?

That failure to update to 11.0m is making me uneasy.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
jjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you still have the original 160GB hard drive in there?

Have you eyeballed the power supply capacitors lately?

That failure to update to 11.0m is making me uneasy.
No I updated to a 1TB almost day one, my Tivo is in a rack, unfortunately on the bottom of 7 things, it would be very hard to take it out
Is there a way to force a update? Oh, not sure if it matters but I use my Tivo with a dial-up phone line, not a high speed connection.
Also if I could ask one more thing, not really related to my guide problem: Quite often when displaying CCs(using my Tivo and HDMI connection to HDTV) the end of the captions will be truncated, cut off in a abrupt manner missing the end of the line or multiple lines if there are multiple lines. Is this a Tivo problem or ??? The truncation is a little inside the 4:3 safe area and I have a 16:9 TV and almost always watch 16:9 programs.