TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
dizziness

TivoHD rebooting. Recover recordings?

I have a THD that is stuck in rebooting loop. Replaced all the caps, which helped for a couple months. Replaced drive, restored with MFSLive, no change. Tried original drive, no change. If it tries to phone home or go to program guide, instant reboot. There must be something other than PS and HDD broken.

Rather than keep messing around with this, I'm planning to get into a Roamio. What options do I have to access the recordings? If I could transfer them to a eSATA drive, that might work. I think this is a function is in MFSLIVE?

Tips are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
dizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
HerronScott

I think your only options are to transfer the shows to a PC using TiVo Desktop, pyTivo, etc or to transfer from the old TiVo to the new TiVo directly.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
dizziness

Buggers. I've a S2 an Premiere that I could use if there was some way I could extract the programs.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post
I have a THD that is stuck in rebooting loop. Replaced all the caps, which helped for a couple months. Replaced drive, restored with MFSLive, no change. Tried original drive, no change. If it tries to phone home or go to program guide, instant reboot. There must be something other than PS and HDD broken.

Rather than keep messing around with this, I'm planning to get into a Roamio. What options do I have to access the recordings? If I could transfer them to a eSATA drive, that might work. I think this is a function is in MFSLIVE?

Tips are appreciated.

When you replaced the drive, did you copy the old one to the new one, restore from an image previously made from the old one, or restore an image you got from someone else that came from someone else's TiVo?

Is there an external drive already connected to the TiVo?

(If you were thinking of hooking an eSATA to the TiVo's port and copying shows to it from the TiVo to restore to a different TiVo later, that's the kind of thing that the content providers are constantly screaming at TiVo about and TiVo is taking measures to prevent)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
dizziness

TivoHD rebooting. Recover recordings?

Re: the drive replacement, I used MFSLive to clone the drive to an identical drive. I also had the original replacement drive (500gb) that I left untouched after the upgrade to 1TB. I don't have the original drive or a saved image of the original. I'm not about to spring for an Instacake image.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
dizziness

I tried restoring from the TBK I made last year before the 1TB upgrade. It is continually asking me to disconnect the external storage. I've never used the eSATA.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
dizziness

Thanks Unitron. I found your Dropbox links for 652. Downloading now.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
unitron

It's not absolutely impossible that the changeover from 11.0k to 11.0m is failing and causing it to keep rebooting as it keeps trying to do the changeover.

You need to pull the drive and check it with WinMFS's mfsinfo to see which version of the software it says it has, although first boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4 and see what

pdisk -l

and

mfsinfo /dev/"your drive here"

have to say.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
dizziness

The original drive was 11.0m. Your image is working in a spare 320GB drive I had sitting around but hasn't yet updated to 11.0m.

I punted on getting the original drive to work. It probably needed a wipe and re-imaging. I'm guessing the OS got corrupted when I was having power supply issues. I cheated and have been downloading torrents to replace the recordings. Thank God for the log of recordings on tivo.com!

I'll probably cut my losses and copy the backup onto a 500GB drive and resell the TivoHD wiped. I've given up trying to recover the programs without a working OS.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
ggieseke

Have you tried a kickstart 52?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote