TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #31
hankinsohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
Can someone suggest an easy way for him to read the logs?
Thanks Ciper. I looked a bit on the Internet for this - couldn't find anything. Also complicating maters is that the data may have been striped to the drive expander drive which was previously connected - i.e., all of the data currently on my TiVO drive might be totally unreadable at the moment.
hankinsohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #32
mr.unnatural

At this point you might want to consider getting a replacement Tivo. Since yours has lifetime on it I'd call Tivo and see if you can transfer the lifetime to another unit. If they will do that for you then I'd head to ebay and pick up a used non-lifetime Tivo. You'll probably pay less for the Tivo on ebay than whatever parts you intend to replace in your unit.

With the exception of the motherboard, you could get a used Tivo HD and cannibalize it for parts if Tivo won't allow you to transfer the lifetime service.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm still voting power supply, just because it meters ok doesn't mean it is ok, if you'd used an oscilloscope that would show you how good the power really is.
I'd consider having Weaknees repair it, or putting an original HD in it and calling Tivo to see if they'll give you a deal on a new unit.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #34
sfhub

Is there a reason mfslive wouldn't fit the bill? Partition 9 is an ext2 formatted partition, right?
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
hankinsohl

The Damage Seems to be Irreparable

I contacted weakNees to see whether or not he thought my TiVO can be fixed. His opinion is that it cannot be repaired. It seems that the rapidly pulsing green light on the front of the unit indicates some sort of motherboard issue that cannot be fixed.

I contacted TiVO and they refuse to transfer my lifetime subscription unless I purchase a replacement unit from them for about $350.00 or so. Since you can get a used TiVO HD with lifetime subscription off EBay for about $230.00, TiVO's replacement offer isn't appealing.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I think I'm simply going to dispose of my TiVO.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankinsohl View Post
I contacted weakNees to see whether or not he thought my TiVO can be fixed. His opinion is that it cannot be repaired. It seems that the rapidly pulsing green light on the front of the unit indicates some sort of motherboard issue that cannot be fixed.

I contacted TiVO and they refuse to transfer my lifetime subscription unless I purchase a replacement unit from them for about $350.00 or so. Since you can get a used TiVO HD with lifetime subscription off EBay for about $230.00, TiVO's replacement offer isn't appealing.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I think I'm simply going to dispose of my TiVO.
Did weaKnees use any particular technical terms that might give us a clue what the problem is?

If you're going to pitch it into a landfill, how about I pay shipping and you send it to me to take a shot at?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #37
hankinsohl

Sold!

@Unitron
I was going to drop off my TiVO at Staples for recycling but if you'd like to take a shot at fixing it that would be great. I sent you a private message to work out shipping details.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #38
unitron

For the benefit of future searchers, by co-incidence I found out about a guy in Australia who does TiVo repair and on his FAQ page

http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs#!faq/c1yws

there was this

Quote:
MY TIVO HAS A FLASHING GREEN LIGHT BUT NO PICTURE

This is a motherboard failure and the CPU is detecting a fault. It requires further bench investigation with special test gear. If you want my help with repairs then please contact me for further information.
So, no joy for the OP, but at least we now know more than we did.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #39
unitron

Well, instead of the landfill the machine went to me.

It turns out the power supply is apparently okay because swapping in a known good one made no difference.

The green light on the front doesn't blink like it was doing to him--I have no idea if that's related by some bizarre reason to its cross-country trip or not.

I hooked the composite (yellow jack) output to a composite input on a little battery operated black and white portable of the type that was nice to have during hurricanes before the OTA switch from analog to digital, and by fiddling with the vertical hold was able to see that it's actually outputting the initial welcome screen, but I'll need a different set with externally accessible horizontal controls as well to get closer to a stable picture, so apparently there's something wrong with whatever establishes the vertical and especially horizontal sync pulses.

Unfortunately, without a schematic or service manual I'm not sure I can make any further progress.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #40
squint

If I get an IR rework station in the future, I could try re-balling the CPU or moving it to a donor motherboard.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #41
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
If I get an IR rework station in the future, I could try re-balling the CPU or moving it to a donor motherboard.
If you live anywhere near Philly, maybe you and omikron could go in halfsies on one.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #42
hankinsohl

Green Light

>> The green light on the front doesn't blink like it was doing to him--I have no idea if that's related by some bizarre reason to its cross-country trip or not.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if what I was seeing was the "blinking" that indicates a motherboard failure or just normal operation.

Just before I shipped the unit out, the green light was pulsing very rapidly - 5 or 6 times per second. It's pretty subtle - you need to look at the green light closely to see it. From across the room, the rapid pulsing isn't noticeable.

However, I also found that the TiVO did not respond to the remote - no yellow lights lit up as the remote was pressed - nor did the "format" button on the front of the unit do anything.

If the TiVO still doesn't respond to the remote, there's probably additional issues with the unit above and beyond the video output.

Anyhow, good luck fixing it! It would be nice to see the TiVO come back to life.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #43
unitron

Quote:
>> The green light on the front doesn't blink like it was doing to him--I have no idea if that's related by some bizarre reason to its cross-country trip or not.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if what I was seeing was the "blinking" that indicates a motherboard failure or just normal operation.

Just before I shipped the unit out, the green light was pulsing very rapidly - 5 or 6 times per second. It's pretty subtle - you need to look at the green light closely to see it. From across the room, the rapid pulsing isn't noticeable.

However, I also found that the TiVO did not respond to the remote - no yellow lights lit up as the remote was pressed - nor did the "format" button on the front of the unit do anything.

If the TiVO still doesn't respond to the remote, there's probably additional issues with the unit above and beyond the video output.

Anyhow, good luck fixing it! It would be nice to see the TiVO come back to life.
Don't know yet about response or refusal to respond to a remote.

I fear that without a schematic or at least a block diagram with part numbers of the video output section I'm unlikely to resurrect it, although if I can find a way to use it without having to be able to see the video output I might be able to use it to record stuff and copy it off to PC.

Provided I could get it through Guided Setup over a PC or smart phone or something, but I don't think there's an ap for that.

Anyway, you never told me how, or if, you went about divorcing the internal drive from the previously connected external.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #44
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you live anywhere near Philly, maybe you and omikron could go in halfsies on one.
I don't live anywhere near there but if I do end up getting a decent IR rework station, I wouldn't mind attempting to socket a Roamio processor or whatever it is that needs to be done.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #45
unitron

Quote:
I don't live anywhere near there but if I do end up getting a decent IR rework station, I wouldn't mind attempting to socket a Roamio processor or whatever it is that needs to be done.
This thing is two generations behind the Roamio, but I don't have another 658 motherboard to which to move the CPU, which is apparently BGA mounted.

And starting with the two later S3s, the 652 and 658, the TiVo Service Number, to which the lifetime sub is tied, is in the CPU itself, rather than on the relatively more easily accessed and moved Atmel crypto chip, which was only a 40 or fewer pin flat square Surface Mount Device, and which was used in the S1s, the S2s, and the first S3, the 648.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #46
weaknees

I'm happy to report that we're now able to fix this problem. We've got more info on our blog post:

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2013/11/t...s-now-fixable/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #47
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaknees View Post
I'm happy to report that we're now able to fix this problem. We've got more info on our blog post:

Bad (SMD) caps on the motherboard, right?

Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #48
ADent

Quote:

Cool. My recently purchased used TiVoHD blinked green the other night and I searched and saw a blinking green like could be terminal. Arrrgg. Luckily it was just a software update gone wonky that a reboot fixed.

The service is pricey ($179.98 at the moment), but a guys gotta make a living.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #49
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Bad (SMD) caps on the motherboard, right?
I was wondering what the cause is. I doubt weaknees will say -- that would reveal the solution, and undercut their business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #50
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I was wondering what the cause is. I doubt weaknees will say -- that would reveal the solution, and undercut their business.
If it involves replacing the SMD caps on the motherboard, they aren't going to be getting much DIY competition, 'cause we're talking about a much greater level of difficulty than replacing the simple hole-through power supply caps, and even if you've got someone local that can handle it, they're not going to have any idea which caps need replacing to solve which problem, or if the problem can be solved by a cap replacement, unless they're already in the TiVo repair business, in which case they'd already have the answer to my question.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #51
hankinsohl

Quote:

Weaknees - how fast does the green light blink when a motherboard failure is detected?

I'm not sure if I ever had a blinking green light or not. In my case the so-called blinking I saw was extremely rapid - 5 times a second or so - and very subtle - unless you held your eyes fairly close to the light, the blinking wasn't obvious at all; from across the room, the green light appeared to be solidly lit.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #52
unitron

Quote:
Weaknees - how fast does the green light blink when a motherboard failure is detected?

I'm not sure if I ever had a blinking green light or not. In my case the so-called blinking I saw was extremely rapid - 5 times a second or so - and very subtle - unless you held your eyes fairly close to the light, the blinking wasn't obvious at all; from across the room, the green light appeared to be solidly lit.
I had an email chat with the guy in Australia, and he says video processing is mostly handled by the CPU in the S3 HD-class units, so the totally screwy sync on your 658 likely means the CPU itself is screwed up, regardless of whether there was any actual LED blinking or not.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #53
squint

Maybe take it to one of those XBox/Playstation reballer places and have them reball the CPU?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #54
unitron

Quote:
Maybe take it to one of those XBox/Playstation reballer places and have them reball the CPU?
That's an interesting idea, provided the CPU is not the problem and you want to move it to another motherboard, taking the TiVo Service Number, and therefore the lifetime sub, along with it.

I don't think the HD and HD XL CPUs have had a problem with coming undetatched the way some BGA chips in laptops have, although you've given me some food for thought.