TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-12-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Seriously? 10 duplicate posts and a new thread?

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumrules.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Seriously? 10 duplicate posts and a new thread?

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumrules.html
I was thinking the same thing. He must be on a mission.

Robb

Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
m.s

And, oddly enough, his posts/replies don't benefit the community, yet he doesn't use PM.
m.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's probably quite good for the community to keep the image in circulation among people who will be willing to share it with others; it'd be a shame to let it just disappear.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

My aploogies for all the duplicity

My aploogies for all the duplicity. But, please, at least take into consideration that I just registered with TCF a few days ago & that there are MINIMUM post requirements here when you are new. The forums wouldn't let me do squat without 5 posts, then another 5 to gain more functionality, and I think another 5 more to become a fully functional member.

My duplicity was born more from getting those initial posts out of the way than anything else. If it weren't for that, I'd have posted in a maximum of three of most appropriate existing threads I could find.

How could I use PM, when the instructions from the OP (author of the hybrid image) were to put out a public request, and wait for somebody to PM back? Full send/receive PMing requires 10 posts when you are newly registered here.

I promise that once somebody PMs me the image, or how to get it, that I will go back and delete every single duplicious post (once I verify it is the real deal). If say, a week or two at most goes by with no luck, I'll delete them as well. Then, my minimum posts are done and over with, and I will use much better discretion. I promise everybody that will be the case.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
It's probably quite good for the community to keep the image in circulation among people who will be willing to share it with others; it'd be a shame to let it just disappear.
It did not disappear.

Geeze, it is a shame when 157 hours from 1TB is just not enough!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
ciper

Can someone please post the MD5 of the Broflovski TivoHD image so I know the file is correct? Thanks
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
Can someone please post the MD5 of the Broflovski TivoHD image so I know the file is correct? Thanks
You do know you don't need it anymore, right?
An 11.0.k or higher OS Tivo can now be upgraded to 2TB via WinMFS
Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
ciper's not exactly brand new here, so I'm thinking he must be going through a masochistic phase or something to want to mess with it.

Unless getting a 2TB TiVo working isn't the end goal, or he's hoping to rescue recordings by repairing a drive already running that image with a hex editor or something.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I became recently aware of that step forward.

The partition size limit may have been removed but not the partition number limit. In other words you are still limited to a single expansion of the internal drive.
(at least without hex editing the partition table)

Using the hybrid image lets you start from a 1tb internal drive, then expand to a 2tb internal drive later on.

Lastly, call me old fashioned but I don't trust Tivo to implement this change properly so on the slim chance there is some weird bug that could pop up, I prefer to stay within the old boundaries.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
I became recently aware of that step forward.

The partition size limit may have been removed but not the partition number limit. In other words you are still limited to a single expansion of the internal drive.

Using the hybrid image lets you start from a 1tb internal drive, then expand to a 2tb internal drive later on.

Lastly, call me old fashioned but I don't trust Tivo to implement this change properly so on the slim chance there is some weird bug that could pop up, I prefer to stay within the old boundaries.
It turns out that WinMFS can, for example, take a 648 image or 652 image and "up" it to a 1TB drive by adding partitions 14 and 15, and then take that 1TB drive and copy it to a 2TB drive, and then, *as a separate step*, expand partition 15 into the other 1TB.

First you click on mfscopy, and when it finishes and offers to expand, tell it no, then you should probably click on mfsinfo to make sure everything's okay, then you can click on mfsadd as a separate step to expand partition 15.

I think if you do mfscopy and then accept the offer to expand, it acts like it did, but actually didn't.

Note that this requires the TiVo to be running, I think, 11.0k or later--I'm not familiar with any versions earlier than k.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
sfhub

Quote:

The partition number limit is not removed, but there is no requirement that MFS zones (which is really what TiVo cares about) maps 1-to-1 to partitions. You can basically add another MFS zone at the end of a drive and have partition 15 (from the previously expanded drive) expanded to include the new zone. So the MFS media zone partition 15 encompasses both the original and newly create MFS zones. 1 entry in the apple partition map, but multiple media zones added to TiVo.

To accomplish this do what unitron suggested.
  • as a pre-check, make sure the drive or image you are using is 11.0k or 11.0m, if not, upgrade first
  • run winmfs
  • mfscopy 1TB drive to 2TB drive, choose 1024mb for swap, do not expand to fill space
  • mfsadd (run as separate step), choose to ignore the 1TB limitation
  • mfs super size

This will result in a partition 15 that encompasses both the original and new MFS zones and your 2TB will be fully utilized. I just performed this a month ago on a dying previously expanded 750GB drive and expanded the second time onto a 2TB drive.

Last edited by sfhub : 10-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
unitron

If you're a member of some strange religious cult that requires you to go from 1TB to 2TB by adding partitions instead of embiggening partition 15, the most recent version of jmfs, which I think is 1.04, can take that 1TB and copy it to the 2TB drive and add a single partition (thus using up the allowed number of 16) in the extra space, provided you don't have a little extra on the end of the 1TB that's been marked as an Apple Free partition.

That's on the HD, not the original S3.

I did one 652 that way over a year ago and it still works fine.

(I did a 2TB on a 648 with WinMFS and a really big partition 15, and it's working fine as well)

jmfs was designed to work with Premiere drives, but TiVo changed something in the HD from the previous drives that lets jmfs work with HD (and I guess HD XL) drives as well.

If you went from the 160GB to the 1TB with WinMFS, you shouldn't have an Apple Free partition, but if you used MFS Live, you might, in which case jmfs will work but the partition it adds will be #17, and the HD will see that as a screwed up external drive and want to remove it, and you'll be back to the 1TB image on the 2TB drive and the extra space will be unavailable.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #15
ciper

unitron and sfhub: Very useful information. I knew there was no requirement for the partitions to be added in pairs, but I did not know Winmfs was able to do it. I'm surprised it works since Winmfs has not been updated since 2008 and Spike specifically said he would not enable the functionality of adding single partitions!

Edit: Please read a few posts in this link http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewto...=257&start=106

Sfhub is the large swap partition required for this expansion or just best practice to enable green screens to finish on the large drivespace?

I am planning to run a 2tb hybrid ssd. I am waiting for it to ship and in the meantime I will be running with a single 1tb drive. With this new information... I may be able to recover my huge season pass list from the paired 1tb drives that were being removed! Thanks to both of you for giving me a few more things to consider
Old 10-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #16
sfhub

Quote:
unitron and sfhub: Very useful information. I knew there was no requirement for the partitions to be added in pairs, but I did not know Winmfs was able to do it. I'm surprised it works since Winmfs has not been updated since 2008 and Spike specifically said he would not enable the functionality of adding single partitions!
Well technically he hasn't added adding single partitions. He has coalesced multiple zones into a single existing partition, but the existing partition is still part of its original app/media partition pair. There is no dangling unpaired 4th mfs media region partition.

Also, so there is no confusion, this behavior only happens if you run a separate mfsadd step. It won't occur if you choose the expand option during the mfscopy.

W/r/t swap space some people were complaining they have trouble doiwnloading large guide data with smaller swap and also with larger disks you tend to have more season passes to process, so I figured it just wasn't worth the effort to investigate whether those claims were true.

It was trivial to expand swap during the copy which I needed to do anyway and sacrificing 1sd hour of recording out of 2776 was a no-brainer

Last edited by sfhub : 10-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Well technically he hasn't added adding single partitions. He has coalesced multiple zones into a single existing partition, but the existing partition is still part of its original app/media partition pair. There is no dangling 4th mfs media region.
That makes more sense. I wonder then, could we now keep the original 160gb A drive and expand an "external" 2gb drive thus getting ~360 hours and an unmodified looking unit?
Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
sfhub

Quote:
That makes more sense. I wonder then, could we now keep the original 160gb A drive and expand an "external" 2gb drive thus getting ~360 hours and an unmodified looking unit?
Dunno, might be possible on s3 HD with mfs64, but I have no idea on if there are drive model restrictions for the expansion drive as I have never tried an external expansion.

I know 2tb expansion won't work on OLED s3 because it is still stuck with mfs32 which limits TiVo's total MFS regions to 2tb, and 2tb external + 250mb internal would violate that limitation.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
ciper

Quote:
I know 2tb expansion won't work on OLED s3 because it is still stuck with mfs32 which limits TiVo's total MFS regions to 2tb, and 2tb external + 250mb internal would violate that limitation.
I thought it was 2TiB or 2.308TB which should still work for the OLED S3
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
sfhub

Quote:
I thought it was 2TiB or 2.308TB which should still work for the OLED S3
I was playing loose with the binary/decimal so maybe you are right and it is just on the edge of fitting 2TB and 250MB into the 2TiB MFS32 limit.

Try it out and let us know.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
The S3 which uses a 160GB internal, the TCD652160, or HD, has a list of a very few WD bare drive numbers, and the drive inside the external eSATA enclosure has to be on that list, and only 500GB and 1TB drives are on that list.

When the original S3, the 648, came out, the option to add an external hadn't been added yet, even though there was an eSATA port on the motherboard.

Somebody figured out how to enable it, and so TiVo found themselves faced with lots of 648s out there with all sorts of different brand and size drives attached externally. So they couldn't include conformance to the list on that model when they updated the software because it would have "broken" so many units.

(Maybe some of the "hackers" over there at the other "site which may not be named here" figured out a way around the list for HDs and HD XLs, but for your average home gamer the 652 and 658 have to use one of the WD externals with the TiVo logo on the retail box.)

So much simpler to just slap a WD20EURS in them.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The S3 which uses a 160GB internal, the TCD652160, or HD, has a list of a very few WD bare drive numbers, and the drive inside the external eSATA enclosure has to be on that list, and only 500GB and 1TB drives are on that list.
I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to try to use it as an "extender" drive but rather to do the normal marrying process so you can skip the whitelist all together.

I'm sure all the Tivo HD are out of warranty by now so there shouldn't be anything stopping the person from opening the case to do they marrying procedure right?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to try to use it as an "extender" drive but rather to do the normal marrying process so you can skip the whitelist all together.

I'm sure all the Tivo HD are out of warranty by now so there shouldn't be anything stopping the person from opening the case to do they marrying procedure right?
Are you talking about the same process used to turn single drive Series 1 and Series 2 TiVos into dual drive units?

Will a Series 3 automatically turn what previously was recognizing master and slave IDE drives on the same ribbon cable into recognizing a drive on the internal sata port and another on the eSATA port into an A-B pair?

Old 10-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #24
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you talking about the same process used to turn single drive Series 1 and Series 2 TiVos into dual drive units?

Will a Series 3 automatically turn what previously was recognizing master and slave IDE drives on the same ribbon cable into recognizing a drive on the internal sata port and another on the eSATA port into an A-B pair?
It has been sooooooo long since I've done that mod I can't say whether it is the same outcome or not but it may be.

What I was referring to was using MFSadd or MFSlive to enable the second drive rather than doing the normal ESata auto detect method.

I do have a random question for you. On the full MFSlive guide it lists one command line for the OLED S3 and a slightly different command line for the THD
OLED mfsadd -ex -r 4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
THD mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

I can't seem to figure out what the small "e" does.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
sfhub

I think it is to use the B drive as the eSATA drive (ie 2 drive config)

I don't think you need to do "r 4" anymore. It was to workaround some bug which has since been fixed.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #26
ciper

Quote:
I think it is to use the B drive as the eSATA drive (ie 2 drive config)

I don't think you need to do "r 4" anymore. It was to workaround some bug which has since been fixed.
That would make sense. So without the "e" it's doing some type of drive marrying?

Yeah you don't need the R4 anymore. The guide is very outdated.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #27
unitron

Quote:
It has been sooooooo long since I've done that mod I can't say whether it is the same outcome or not but it may be.

What I was referring to was using MFSadd or MFSlive to enable the second drive rather than doing the normal ESata auto detect method.

I do have a random question for you. On the full MFSlive guide it lists one command line for the OLED S3 and a slightly different command line for the THD
OLED mfsadd -ex -r 4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
THD mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

I can't seem to figure out what the small "e" does.
Are those two commands actually written down in the full guide, or the product of the command generator (ICG)?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
sfhub

Quote:
That would make sense. So without the "e" it's doing some type of drive marrying?

Yeah you don't need the R4 anymore. The guide is very outdated.
I've never used -e but I believe WITH the option present you are creating the 2 drive data/esata setup for oled S3s.

I don't know what it does for the non -e add with THD. Whether it does marrying, or whether it checks drive compatibility for esata, etc. It might just do nothing and be a product of the ICG command creation algorithm creating old s2 commands for an s3 that don't work.