TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
mishafp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 138
Cool feature I just discovered with the IPAD app. You may already know this, but in..

While I realized that the IPAD app could stream from my TIVO Roamio, I had assumed it worked like a slingbox: I would stream whatever was viewing on my TIVO. However, tonight I discovered that what I am streaming on my IPAD is not the same show as what is on my TIVO. Basically, this means that my fiance and I can watch two shows off of the TIVO (or live!) at once. Or I can watch two live NFL games at once on Sunday (one on the TIVO and one my IPAD). Maybe others already knew about this feature, but that's pretty sweet!
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,994
Yep. And if you get a Mini for a second room that can stream another show. In fact I think the limit is 8 simultaneous streams coming from a single Roamio.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
vurbano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 435
last time I tried to stream with the ipad the video froze
__________________
1 - Roamio Plus with 3TB upgrade
2 - Tivo mini
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi
 
markp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 9,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishafp View Post
Basically, this means that my fiance and I can watch two shows off of the TIVO (or live!) at once.
Yes, my wife is very pleased with this feature! She can watch her Hallmark movies while I watch Baseball/Football/Basketball.

We are all happy
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
mishafp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yep. And if you get a Mini for a second room that can stream another show. In fact I think the limit is 8 simultaneous streams coming from a single Roamio.
That is interesting. Currently, I have my TIVO HDMI signal simply split between my two TVs. Is the only reason to get a mini (assuming the HDMI cord runs along the wall and is no big deal) to be able to watch two different programs on the two TVs at the same time? Any other benefits? Downsides (other than price)?
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
marinrain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Corte Madera, CA, USA
Posts: 10
Split Tivo to 2 tv's

can you watch 2 simultaneously or only separately? (I have a Premiere xl4)
thanks
marinrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
mishafp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinrain View Post
can you watch 2 simultaneously or only separately? (I have a Premiere xl4)
thanks
You can watch two different shows simultaneously.
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishafp View Post
That is interesting. Currently, I have my TIVO HDMI signal simply split between my two TVs. Is the only reason to get a mini (assuming the HDMI cord runs along the wall and is no big deal) to be able to watch two different programs on the two TVs at the same time? Any other benefits? Downsides (other than price)?
The Mini can also access a separate tuner for live TV and has all the apps, like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc... so they can be watched in the other room as well.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
anthonymoody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishafp View Post
You can watch two different shows simultaneously.
Wait. Am I understanding you correctly? You go hdmi out of a single TiVo, into a 1->2 splitter, into 2 different televisions, and can watch two different shows simultaneously? Live as well as recorded?
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Wait. Am I understanding you correctly? You go hdmi out of a single TiVo, into a 1->2 splitter, into 2 different televisions, and can watch two different shows simultaneously? Live as well as recorded?
Nope, that's impossible. I think that he means he can watch two different shows simultaneously by watching one on the TV and another on his iPad via the Stream. I think he had assumed that the iPad would just mirror the TV. But the Stream and the Mini can both watch their own shows from the TiVo even if it's being used by someone else. In fact the Roamio Pro/Plus supports up to 8 simultaneous streams at once.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
dslunceford
Registered User
 
dslunceford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: No. VA/D.C.
Posts: 5,038
Haven't tried, but does the TiVo app allow HDMI out? Eg: can I hook my iPad up to a TV in a hotel room and stream to that device (something I do all the time with movies on the iPad via an HDMI connector). I know the HBOGo app doesn't allow HDMI out....
__________________
--Steve



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,994
No. It doesn't allow AirPlay either.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
anthonymoody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Nope, that's impossible. I think that he means he can watch two different shows simultaneously by watching one on the TV and another on his iPad via the Stream. I think he had assumed that the iPad would just mirror the TV. But the Stream and the Mini can both watch their own shows from the TiVo even if it's being used by someone else. In fact the Roamio Pro/Plus supports up to 8 simultaneous streams at once.
Yeah I definitely misunderstood him. The reason for my post was bc I thought it was impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
Haven't tried, but does the TiVo app allow HDMI out? Eg: can I hook my iPad up to a TV in a hotel room and stream to that device (something I do all the time with movies on the iPad via an HDMI connector). I know the HBOGo app doesn't allow HDMI out....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No. It doesn't allow AirPlay either.
Actually in iOS 7 now you can do airplay on any app.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
Devx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
...Actually in iOS 7 now you can do airplay on any app.
Airplay can be turned on but the app has to support it for Airplay to work.

If a jailbreak for iOS 7 is released, then presumably, it would support Airplay for any app.
__________________
Roamio Pro
Roamio Plus (3TB)
Premiere Elite/XL4
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
mishafp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Nope, that's impossible. I think that he means he can watch two different shows simultaneously by watching one on the TV and another on his iPad via the Stream. I think he had assumed that the iPad would just mirror the TV. But the Stream and the Mini can both watch their own shows from the TiVo even if it's being used by someone else. In fact the Roamio Pro/Plus supports up to 8 simultaneous streams at once.


mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
anthonymoody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Airplay can be turned on but the app has to support it for Airplay to work.

If a jailbreak for iOS 7 is released, then presumably, it would support Airplay for any app.
I sit corrected! Sprry for the disinformation I'd yet to discover an app that didn't allow mirroring (didn't even realize it was possible) but sure enough the tivo app when I try to mirror to my ATV I get a mirroring not allowed message on the TV.

Like you say presumably a JB would allow it.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #17
grelca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
Haven't tried, but does the TiVo app allow HDMI out? Eg: can I hook my iPad up to a TV in a hotel room and stream to that device (something I do all the time with movies on the iPad via an HDMI connector). I know the HBOGo app doesn't allow HDMI out....
HBO Go lets you do HDMI out. I've used it a ton of times! They added AirPlay (and, by extension, HDMI) support almost a year ago.
grelca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |