TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
mishafp

Cool feature I just discovered with the IPAD app. You may already know this, but in..

While I realized that the IPAD app could stream from my TIVO Roamio, I had assumed it worked like a slingbox: I would stream whatever was viewing on my TIVO. However, tonight I discovered that what I am streaming on my IPAD is not the same show as what is on my TIVO. Basically, this means that my fiance and I can watch two shows off of the TIVO (or live!) at once. Or I can watch two live NFL games at once on Sunday (one on the TIVO and one my IPAD). Maybe others already knew about this feature, but that's pretty sweet!
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yep. And if you get a Mini for a second room that can stream another show. In fact I think the limit is 8 simultaneous streams coming from a single Roamio.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
vurbano

last time I tried to stream with the ipad the video froze
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishafp View Post
Basically, this means that my fiance and I can watch two shows off of the TIVO (or live!) at once.
Yes, my wife is very pleased with this feature! She can watch her Hallmark movies while I watch Baseball/Football/Basketball.

We are all happy
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
mishafp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yep. And if you get a Mini for a second room that can stream another show. In fact I think the limit is 8 simultaneous streams coming from a single Roamio.
That is interesting. Currently, I have my TIVO HDMI signal simply split between my two TVs. Is the only reason to get a mini (assuming the HDMI cord runs along the wall and is no big deal) to be able to watch two different programs on the two TVs at the same time? Any other benefits? Downsides (other than price)?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
marinrain

Split Tivo to 2 tv's

can you watch 2 simultaneously or only separately? (I have a Premiere xl4)
thanks
marinrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
mishafp

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinrain View Post
can you watch 2 simultaneously or only separately? (I have a Premiere xl4)
thanks
You can watch two different shows simultaneously.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
That is interesting. Currently, I have my TIVO HDMI signal simply split between my two TVs. Is the only reason to get a mini (assuming the HDMI cord runs along the wall and is no big deal) to be able to watch two different programs on the two TVs at the same time? Any other benefits? Downsides (other than price)?
The Mini can also access a separate tuner for live TV and has all the apps, like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc... so they can be watched in the other room as well.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
anthonymoody

Quote:
You can watch two different shows simultaneously.
Wait. Am I understanding you correctly? You go hdmi out of a single TiVo, into a 1->2 splitter, into 2 different televisions, and can watch two different shows simultaneously? Live as well as recorded?
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Wait. Am I understanding you correctly? You go hdmi out of a single TiVo, into a 1->2 splitter, into 2 different televisions, and can watch two different shows simultaneously? Live as well as recorded?
Nope, that's impossible. I think that he means he can watch two different shows simultaneously by watching one on the TV and another on his iPad via the Stream. I think he had assumed that the iPad would just mirror the TV. But the Stream and the Mini can both watch their own shows from the TiVo even if it's being used by someone else. In fact the Roamio Pro/Plus supports up to 8 simultaneous streams at once.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
dslunceford

Haven't tried, but does the TiVo app allow HDMI out? Eg: can I hook my iPad up to a TV in a hotel room and stream to that device (something I do all the time with movies on the iPad via an HDMI connector). I know the HBOGo app doesn't allow HDMI out....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

No. It doesn't allow AirPlay either.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
anthonymoody

Quote:
Nope, that's impossible. I think that he means he can watch two different shows simultaneously by watching one on the TV and another on his iPad via the Stream. I think he had assumed that the iPad would just mirror the TV. But the Stream and the Mini can both watch their own shows from the TiVo even if it's being used by someone else. In fact the Roamio Pro/Plus supports up to 8 simultaneous streams at once.
Yeah I definitely misunderstood him. The reason for my post was bc I thought it was impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
Haven't tried, but does the TiVo app allow HDMI out? Eg: can I hook my iPad up to a TV in a hotel room and stream to that device (something I do all the time with movies on the iPad via an HDMI connector). I know the HBOGo app doesn't allow HDMI out....
Quote:
No. It doesn't allow AirPlay either.
Actually in iOS 7 now you can do airplay on any app.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
...Actually in iOS 7 now you can do airplay on any app.
Airplay can be turned on but the app has to support it for Airplay to work.

If a jailbreak for iOS 7 is released, then presumably, it would support Airplay for any app.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
mishafp

Quote:

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Airplay can be turned on but the app has to support it for Airplay to work.

If a jailbreak for iOS 7 is released, then presumably, it would support Airplay for any app.
I sit corrected! Sprry for the disinformation I'd yet to discover an app that didn't allow mirroring (didn't even realize it was possible) but sure enough the tivo app when I try to mirror to my ATV I get a mirroring not allowed message on the TV.

Like you say presumably a JB would allow it.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #17
grelca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
HBO Go lets you do HDMI out. I've used it a ton of times! They added AirPlay (and, by extension, HDMI) support almost a year ago.
grelca is offline   Reply With Quote