TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablopsd View Post
Should there be some kind of screen on or display on the S3 during a clear and delete? I think its doing something, but i don't know?
I don't remember the exact sequence of what happens on a C&DE, but if it results in a reboot, keep in mind, some operations only output on the analog svideo/composite video lines until the system is further along in the boot sequence, at which point HDMI becomes active.

I know this and I still sometimes get tricked into thinking something is messed up because I forget I'm looking at the HDMI output.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #32
pablopsd

Just getting back to dealing with things, and found the list of caps someone had put together. Placed my order, and will see how it goes when i get the parts. Thanks everyone for your help.
pablopsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #33
pablopsd

Well, changed all the caps, and it fired up, but it's worse now than it was before. All of the lights on the front of the unit came on, then they went off after a minute or so. No display on the TV either, no welcome screen or anything. I uesd a list of capacitors found on the forum, and ordered from Mouser. At least before i knew the HD was an issue, and pretty sure the PS was as well, when researching the bad capacitors. Hate to buy a new power supply without confirming that's the issue. I have not found an S3 for sale locally on Craigslist either. Only reason I'm trying so hard is this has lifetime subscription, and I'm determined.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #34
pablopsd

for kicks, i left it plugged in, as the fan was working and no smoke was coming out of it, as i was wondering if maybe it was trying to do the clear and delete that we had gotten too before i replaced the caps. Front now says ready set Tivo, so I'm going to wait and see what happens, unless you guys have other recommendations
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #35
unitron

Quote:
for kicks, i left it plugged in, as the fan was working and no smoke was coming out of it, as i was wondering if maybe it was trying to do the clear and delete that we had gotten too before i replaced the caps. Front now says ready set Tivo, so I'm going to wait and see what happens, unless you guys have other recommendations
How do you have this connected to the TV?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
sfhub

Yeah, what he said.

Depending on how/when you connect the HDMI port, you might not see any output until it is done booting.

On svideo/composite you'll always see the boot screens so if you are diagnosing issues, use those connections.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
pablopsd

Threw a regular video connection on it, and am stuck at almost there just a few minutes more for quite some time now. About 6 hours.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #38
sfhub

Quote:
Threw a regular video connection on it, and am stuck at almost there just a few minutes more for quite some time now. About 6 hours.
Is it stuck there or is it in a loop where it resets and continuously gets hung on that screen before resetting again?

Can you use your current drive or a spare drive and put a new image on?

Last edited by sfhub : 10-23-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
pablopsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Is it stuck there or is it in a loop where it resets and continuously gets hung on that screen before resetting again?

Do you have a spare data drive you can throw a fresh image on?
I think its stuck, but can't confirm, as i didn't sit and watch it for 6 hours straight. Reason being as that i never saw a change as best i could tell. I did have another HD which i just popped in. Seems to be stuck on Welcome screen with that one.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #40
sfhub

Quote:
I think its stuck, but can't confirm, as i didn't sit and watch it for 6 hours straight. Reason being as that i never saw a change as best i could tell. I did have another HD which i just popped in. Seems to be stuck on Welcome screen with that one.
Almost there just a few minutes is pretty far along in the boot cycle. Surprising the drive you just through in couldn't get as far.

It is probably stuck, but instead of sitting there watching it, I sometimes just turn on a handycam and record a few hours then fast forward.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #41
unitron

About 60 seconds after the first screen, which is on the motherboard, shows up, the light change on the front that's your cue to do whatever you're supposed to do with the remote for that particular model to enter a Kickstart code happens, and the next "just a few more minutes" screen, which is on the hard drive should come up within 30 to 60 seconds after that.

If it's still sitting on that second screen after 5 minutes, chances are it's not going to move on, although I'm not sure exactly what causes it to freeze at that point, but at least that second screen means the motherboard can communicate with the drive.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #42
unitron

Quote:
As I just mentioned, the welcome screen is built into the motherboard (as in it's on one of the chips on the board), and it'll come up even if there's no hard drive connected to the TiVo at all.

If that other drive was blank, and didn't have the right TiVo software on it, then you wouldn't see anything but the first screen because it wouldn't be able to move beyond that.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #43
unitron

You should check the power supply's DC outputs with a voltmeter to make sure the cap change brought it up to snuff.

The 648 supply has an adjustment potentiometer you can turn very slowly and carefully if all of the output voltages are low.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #44
pablopsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You should check the power supply's DC outputs with a voltmeter to make sure the cap change brought it up to snuff.

The 648 supply has an adjustment potentiometer you can turn very slowly and carefully if all of the output voltages are low.
What should it read, and where would i check it? Getting scary now!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #45
unitron

Quote:
What should it read, and where would i check it? Getting scary now!
Read this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...61#post9866861

and mentally add in that the 648 also has a gray or white or maybe brown wire (anyway it ain't yellow, red, or orange) which should read 7.5 Volts. It's the power for the front panel display and almost certain to be fine.

The black wires are all at ground potential and should read 0 Volts relative to ground, because they are ground.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #46
pablopsd

So i pulled a 250GB Seagate drive from my Mac Pro, and formatted with the 250 GB image using WinMFS, and grew that in. Very quickly into a guided setup. Seems to be very responsive. Will get through that and do a clear and delete so it recognizes my subscription, and see what happens. Steering away from those WD drives. If this works, maybe i will buy an upgraded HD. How do you think this Seagate will hold up in the tiro? P/N 9BD133-045 Barracuda 7200 RPM 250GB drive.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #47
pablopsd

yellow 12.2
red 5.03
orange 3.27
all under load, HD is hooked up. those seem pretty good from what i read from the link above.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #48
sfhub

Quote:
If this works, maybe i will buy an upgraded HD. How do you think this Seagate will hold up in the tiro? P/N 9BD133-045 Barracuda 7200 RPM 250GB drive.
I don't remember which WD drive you got, but the WD20EURS works well with S3. It is probably around $90-$95.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #49
pablopsd

i have a WD5000AACS and a WD5000AZRX both sitting here. The Seagate seems to be working fine. Got through a whole setup process, did a clear and delete, now going through setup again. Seems to be working.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
unitron

Quote:
i have a WD5000AACS and a WD5000AZRX both sitting here. The Seagate seems to be working fine. Got through a whole setup process, did a clear and delete, now going through setup again. Seems to be working.
The WD5000AACS (which I thought I recognized as a Caviar Blue but apparently I'm wrong) should work fine with any TiVo that didn't come with a stock drive bigger than 500GB. although for an S1 you'll need a Marvell chipset based SATA/IDE adapter and for an S2 a Marvell or JMicron chipset based one.

(However, S1s are notoriously finicky about drives, so I could be wrong about this particular model working in one)

And you must run wdidle3.exe to disable Intellipark.

The WD5000AZRX I'm much less sure about.

I seem to recall reading about WDs with Z and X added to the model name/number having problems with TiVos, especially older ones.

And I don't know if it does Intellipark or not.

Of course both of those suffer from being about 1.5TB too small.

Of course just because a particular model works doesn't guarantee that a particular drive doesn't have problems for whatever reason even if it is one of the models that's supposed to work.

Drives do not improve with age or use, and even brand new an occasional one destined for an early grave slips past QC.

If the Seagate is working, leave it in there for now and check the couch cushions for spare change and start looking for a good deal on a WD20EURS.

Can you run XP or later on that Mac somehow and run WinMFS on that?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
pablopsd

Seagate is fine. Believe it or not, we were content with the 250GB drive! We don't keep a ton, we record, watch and or transfer, then delete. I can run XP with WinMFS, and I did run wdidle on the WD drives, but neither wants to work. I was able to format the Seagate drive on the Mac with XP and WinMFS. I did a backup of my drive too after it was all set up and running after clear and delete.
The AZRX is brand new drive, Jan 2013 manufacture. the AACS is a Caviar Green drive, manufactured 2008. Thanks for all your help. I will see what i can come up with for a drive.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #52
unitron

If that Mac will let you connect those WDs straight to a SATA port, and if it'll boot from the UBCD, run the WD long test on them and see if they've got problems or not, 'cause I don't see why that AACS shouldn't have worked in the TiVo.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #53
pablopsd

Honestly, I can't recall if I ran WDidle on both drives or not. Pretty sure I did on the newer one, can't recall on the other. Will check that again first.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #54
pablopsd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If that Mac will let you connect those WDs straight to a SATA port, and if it'll boot from the UBCD, run the WD long test on them and see if they've got problems or not, 'cause I don't see why that AACS shouldn't have worked in the TiVo.
Took a look at things today. The older AACS i did run WDIdle3 on, and its disabled, so I'm not going to bother trying these drives again. Unit is still working with the Seagate, so someday ill grab a new HD, and swap it out. Now just need to put a bootable drive back in the computer, since i stole it's drive for the Tivo!. Not a big deal, as these 500GB WD drives do run in there fine. Thanks again for all the help.

Paul