TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Person of Interest - S3E5 - Razgovor (10/22/13)

I thought this episode deserves its own thread. It was the best episode of the season so far and not only featured Shaw but gave us a little background on the character.

It was a great episode.

Shah had a little character growth (and kicked a lot of ass)
Detective Carter got the drop on her partner.
Reese had a fight with the main HR bad guy.

And lastly Root makes a brief but impactful appearance at the end of the episode ("Did you miss me? We're going to have so much fun together.")

This episode was firing on all cylinders.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
pendragn

I think Sarah Shahi (Shaw) has done a great job of adopting Reese's cold demeanor for her character. She's been a much better fit than I thought she would.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
I think Sarah Shahi (Shaw) has done a great job of adopting Reese's cold demeanor for her character. She's been a much better fit than I thought she would.

tk
This last episode I said to myself she does Reese better than Reese, right after walking away from her save at the beginning of the show.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
pendragn

I may have mentioned this in another thread. If so, I apologize.

I've seen Jim Caviezel in a bunch of things. I know he has range. The actor that plays Finch is from Iowa so one of the local station's news did a special interest story on him. They showed some behind the scenes footage from the episode last season in the hotel. In one of those they were filming Reese walking down a hallway, they yelled "cut" and Caviezel broke into a huge smile and started laughing. It was incredibly jarring. He does Reese's cold, deadpan, demeanor so well that seeing him laugh and smile just really stood out. He does the role that well.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Fantastic episode and I love that Sarah Shahi is a regular.
"I'm only in it for the dog"
She's a great addition to the cast.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Agree with all the Sarah Shahi love. Been a big fan of hers since The L Word and Life. This show kicked it up a notch when she was added to the cast.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
caslu

Favorite episode to date, right next to the one where Shaw was introduced. I know the character probably wouldn't work as the main focus but Sarah Shahi is such a great addition to the cast, I want Shaw to get her own show... maybe "Person of Interest: Miami" :-)
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
Favorite episode to date, right next to the one where Shaw was introduced. I know the character probably wouldn't work as the main focus but Sarah Shahi is such a great addition to the cast, I want Shaw to get her own show... maybe "Person of Interest: Miami" :-)
shush, everyone knows show runners read here
Don't make any changes to POI.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I fell on the floor laughing when the girl Jen pokes her and said, "I thought you were a robot".

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
It is mighty convenient how all the numbers are in the Greater New York City area.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Sarah Shahi has the character down. I love the hug at the end of the episode. At first she's very uncomfortable doing it then Jen says she's hurting her. Just great.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Fahtrim

My only peeve with this awesome episide, and this is typical of hollyweird, is that Reese's "fight" with the HR cop was competitive.

Um, Reese is this total bad@$$ that nobody can touch and can take out all guards and all comers with ease, but this cop guy can suddenly hold his own with a special ops best in the world killer.........sure

other than that typical hollyweird stupidity, it was great episode and continues to be a great show
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
jkbird59

I got the impression that Reese was just toying with him to inflict more pain.
jkbird59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

The way that scene with Reese and the HR guy was shot was a little confusing at the end. When the cop cars showed up, was Reese still there? Did the HR guy get arrested?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
MPSAN

OK, dumb question.

Did they EVER say what HR stood for?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
philw1776

A play on Human Resources
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
The way that scene with Reese and the HR guy was shot was a little confusing at the end. When the cop cars showed up, was Reese still there? Did the HR guy get arrested?
Reese disappeared in the split second it took the HR guy to look towards the sirens. Ninja!!

They didn't arrest HR guy (as far as we know). There's no proof that he'd done anything wrong. He's a cop on the scene; probably said he was driving by during his off hours and saw something suspicious. Carter hasn't given anyone her proof yet.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
My only peeve with this awesome episide, and this is typical of hollyweird, is that Reese's "fight" with the HR cop was competitive.

Um, Reese is this total bad@$$ that nobody can touch and can take out all guards and all comers with ease, but this cop guy can suddenly hold his own with a special ops best in the world killer.........sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbird59 View Post
I got the impression that Reese was just toying with him to inflict more pain.
My thinking is that Reese was holding back in order to, a) assess Simmon's skills, and more importantly, b) keep him busy so he can't call in extra help (or go himself) to stop Shaw from getting the girl.

Quote:
Reese disappeared when the patrol car showed up and I don't think there's any reason they would have arrested Simmons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
It is also the same way that Reese got Fusco to work for him.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Person of Interest has been really good this season - allowing for TV suspension of reality. These last two episodes have been great.

I did figure out in the 2nd segment that the hubby was alive last week.
Maybe Carrie could have learned from "root" how to handle Thorazine.

Now we have a young ward to check back in with and add to the team as one more Harold's Angel.

What hit me at the beginning was that writers had no idea that it would turn out that the real activities of the NSA would be disclosed and make "The Machine" look 2nd rate.

Hey, if the machine can send 9 digit SSNs, how about it add a 1 or -1 at the end to say whether the number is for a victim or perp? No mystery. Show over.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
A play on Human Resources
That was all I could think of, but thought they wanted some other name.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #20
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Speaking of that... I'm so glad that she wasn't stupid enough to not realize what the deal was with him; I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single viewer who didn't make him right off the bat.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #21
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

We still haven't seen where Finch had his back injured. We only saw that he ran into Reese in the hospital.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Speaking of that... I'm so glad that she wasn't stupid enough to not realize what the deal was with him; I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single viewer who didn't make him right off the bat.
I gotta check. He looks so much like him I'd swear he was Al Sepienza's son.

[Edit: Nope. I guess not. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3146370/...f_=tt_ov_st_sm

How cool is it that Sarah Shahi plays Shaw and in real life is a decedent of an Iranian Shah.]
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #23
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
We still haven't seen where Fitch had his back injured. We only saw that he ran into Reese in the hospital.
We saw it in flashbacks near the end of last season.

Finch was disillusioned with the project and was going to blab to the press about it. The people who had bought the machine found out and set up a staged terrorist attack (van loaded with C4) at a ferry landing where Finch (and his partner on the project) was. The partner died in the blast, while Finch was injured. He snuck off and let his GF believe that he was dead (and his body unrecovered) because he saw goons looking for him at the makeshift triage center where he woke up.

He went back to the backdoor machine terminal that his partner was using and found out that the machine had predicted what would happen.

That was the event that led him to be on his current mission.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
jamesl

Quote:
We saw it in flashbacks near the end of last season.

Finch was disillusioned with the project and was going to blab to the press about it. The people who had bought the machine found out and set up a staged terrorist attack (van loaded with C4) at a ferry landing where Finch (and his partner on the project) was. The partner died in the blast, while Finch was injured. He snuck off and let his GF believe that he was dead (and his body unrecovered) because he saw goons looking for him at the makeshift triage center where he woke up.

He went back to the backdoor machine terminal that his partner was using and found out that the machine had predicted what would happen.

That was the event that led him to be on his current mission.
actually Finch's partner wanted to use the back door to the machine to get the "unimportant" numbers and help people

Finch was totally against that
I think he said that was too much power, it was playing God
Finch insisted on seeing the "bigger picture", using the the machine only to provide national security

Finch didn't want his partner using the back door to get any numbers

I believe Finch's partner thought the machine was too powerful for the government, so he was going to the press

so the explosion was meant to kill the partner

Finch was there because he was going to try and talk the partner out of meeting the press

after the explosion, Finch went back to the machine, used the backdoor and found out the "unimportant" number for that day was his partner's

then Finch knew he could have saved his partner from the government

that appears to be when he had his change of heart
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #25
busyba
The Funcooker

Yeah, that sounds correct.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

Agreed, great episode. It appears they are giving Carter more air time and Fusco less as each week goes by.

BTW, I can't remember, from previous episode, who the woman in the mental hospital is. Too easy to forget last season stuff at my age.
Tivo_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo_60 View Post
Agreed, great episode. It appears they are giving Carter more air time and Fusco less as each week goes by.

BTW, I can't remember, from previous episode, who the woman in the mental hospital is. Too easy to forget last season stuff at my age.
She's "root," the dangerous hacker equivalent of Harold who is more ruthless and willing to kill. She answered the call when the machine "rebooted" and called for Mama, along with Reese, so she has the key access to "her."
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
RickyL
valar morghulis

Plot wise I thought is we great but a couple of actions really bothered me.

Spoiler:
First, why the heck didn't shaw shoot the guy in front of her in the tunnel when the left the girls listening post instead of turning around.

Second, really harold? You can't figure out a way to ditigize the tapes at high speed ?Heck I had a dual tape deck 20 years ago that copied tapes at high speed.

"If You chose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush, Freewill
RickyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
She's "root," the dangerous hacker equivalent of Harold who is more ruthless and willing to kill. She answered the call when the machine "rebooted" and called for Mama, along with Reese, so she has the key access to "her."
I found that whole aspect of the season finale last season confusing at best. It got a little too complicated for it's own good.

But I love Amy Acker in that role so I am willing to overlook it.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

Quote:
Ahhh...thanks, that jolted my memory now. I agree with Maui though, the finale definitely was a little too complicated.
Tivo_60 is offline   Reply With Quote