TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #121
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Did anyone else notice with this update that the System info screen is now reporting battery level of the standard RF remote?
Awesome!
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #122
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
The concept of a single Roamio "hub" with multiple Mini's make this much less appealing to the 95% of people who will only have one TiVo with a tuner in their household. If I was TiVo, I wouldn't waste precious development hours on that, aaronwt is not their target audience.
I think you would be surprised at the number of multi-TiVo vs TiVo/mini households. None the less, multi TiVo configurations are supported and indeed offer functionality a mini does not. Many have also found it cheaper to keep an old Premiere than sell it and replace with a mini for additional screens in the home.

TivoMargret did say the integrated NPL was coming, I need to go find the post, I remember it referred to a facebook or twitter posting which I do not use.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #123
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The My Shows list is already unwieldy with a 3TB drive. I wouldn't want it consolidated with another TiVo.

I will be glad if/when they implement profiles. It would make the management of the My Shows list so much easier.
With judicious use of folders, I do not find it unwieldy at all. I admit custom folders could be far easier to implement and placing items in folders that exist as well. But it does work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #124
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Tell me about it. What we need are *CUSTOM FOLDERS*
You can create custom folders now via pytivo. Would be nice if it was much easier to use and movement of files among folders was easier.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #125
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I think you would be surprised at the number of multi-TiVo vs TiVo/mini households.
TiVo doesn't care about multi-TiVo households. They are in the business of selling Roamio's and Minis as a whole home solution to cable MSOs. The stand-alone market is just a test bed. Again, cooperative scheduling is off the table and makes zero sense for them to put resources into it.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #126
jmpage2

Quote:
I think you would be surprised at the number of multi-TiVo vs TiVo/mini households.
I think you'd be surprised that TiVo probably knows exactly how many multi-TiVo households are out there... and it's probably a very small number, maybe 5% or less of their subscriber base... not to mention that the % of them that have all TiVos on the latest platform (which would likely be required for a software update like this) even smaller.

Clearly with the large capacity of the Roamio and the room extension capabilities of the Mini, that's what TiVo is focused on.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #127
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
TiVo doesn't care about multi-TiVo households. They are in the business of selling Roamio's and Minis as a whole home solution to cable MSOs. The stand-alone market is just a test bed. Again, cooperative scheduling is off the table and makes zero sense for them to put resources into it.
I agree cooperative scheduling will never come from TiVo. It already exists via kmttg now anyway.

I was referring to an integrated My Shows list which is far easier to implement. This applies to households with mini's as well as some have multi tivos as well as minis. Its a supported configuration. Its not one or the other.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #128
rainwater

Quote:
I was referring to an integrated My Shows list which is far easier to implement. This applies to households with mini's as well as some have multi tivos as well as minis. Its a supported configuration. Its not one or the other.
I think you might see profiles one day but a whole house My Shows lists doesn't make sense for TiVo at this point. Of all things they need to do (and finish), integrated My Shows would probably be last on the list.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #129
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Co-op scheduling is DOA now with 6 tuner units available with tunerless clients (Minis).
I agree TiVo is looking forward not back and TiVo's forward plan is 1 DVR with Minis, that is where their resources will be spent. So I can see having user accounts/profiles as that makes lots of senses when you have several people using 1 DVR on several TVs, but I do not see consolidated to do lists or cooperative scheduling acrossed multiple DVRs.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #130
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
With judicious use of folders, I do not find it unwieldy at all. I admit custom folders could be far easier to implement and placing items in folders that exist as well. But it does work.
I do use folders, but even with folders I have many dozens and dozens of them. And that is on top of the many dozens and dozens of recordings that aren't in a folder.

If I had a profile option I could, for instance, create a profile for my GF that would only have a bunch of lifetime recordings which would make them very easy to find. Which is very difficult right now. i would create another profile for cable news programs, another profile for local news, etc. All of this would make the management of the My Shows list so much easier.

I'm spending alot of time finding stuff which didn't used to be the case when my recordings were split up between two Elites and I used a two tuner Premiere for my GFs recordings. I knew I would have some issues when I dropped down to one cable card, but I didn't realize it would become this bad.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #131
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I completely disagree and feel it would just cause TiVo to screw things up They are barely keeping things together, lets not add any unnecessary features into the mix that could turn the Roamio into another Premiere fiasco both performance wise and updatability wise. Let's not forget we're still waiting for them to complete the HD menus, and from what I've gathered they're trying to make both the Premiere and Roamio have the same UI, so that would mean the Premiere would have to get the same folder feature.
So they should just never make ANY other positive addition because they will screw it up? I would MUCH rather have custom folders than HD settings and misc menus.

I seriously doubt having custom folders would hurt performance.

It is crazy that a device that can record 6 things at once and store hundreds or thousands of shows has zero effective options for organizing them. I was amazed TiVo released the Roamio without custom folders and profiles (and BOTH are needed- one for multi-user and one for few/single user).
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #132
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
So they should just never make ANY other positive addition because they will screw it up? I would MUCH rather have custom folders than HD settings and misc menus.

I seriously doubt having custom folders would hurt performance.
I think TiVo has really upped their game and done a good job delivering value. I think saying they are "barely holding it together" is both unfair and inaccurate.

They definitely had a malaise period during all the litigation, but they seem to have really gotten back into the game.

Co-op scheduling isn't going to happen - the new model is spoke and hub.

If we are voting, I would rather have profiles then custom folders.

Since TiVo has never focused on a lot of "customization" features, I also suspect profiles would fit better into their design model. But that is just my personal opinion.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #133
aaronwt
HD Addict

Even thought it's just me, I can make more use of profiles than Custom folders. I figure profiles would do more to clean up everything. With custom folders I would still have many dozens of folders to go through in one list. With the profiles it will do much more to reduce the amount of content in the My Shows list for me. SInce there will be a separate list for each profile I create.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #134
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Even thought it's just me, I can make more use of profiles than Custom folders. I figure profiles would do more to clean up everything.
Not me. I would find profiles to be almost useless; especially if switching between them is not one simple function.

Quote:
With custom folders I would still have many dozens of folders to go through in one list.
Not if they were nested like any other rational directory structure. Of course, there might be a limit in this case as to how many levels. Two might be enough, three seems very reasonable.

Quote:
With the profiles it will do much more to reduce the amount of content in the My Shows list for me. Since there will be a separate list for each profile I create.
How "convenient"- sign out and sign in every time you want to see another single flat directory/folder...... blech

Done properly, custom nested folders is not only easy to use and manage, but replaces most of the need for profiles, because you can simply create a folder for each person. Recordings can be directed to a folder in the season passes or on demand and programs can be moved manually at any time. And if there were an option to list season passes by folder level, that would be like a profile too.

Don
------Comedy
------Movies
-----------------Action
-----------------Favorites
-----------------Mystery
-----------------Unseen
------Series
-----------------SUV
-----------------History
Sally
------Cats
------Cooking
-----------------Series
-----------------Specials
------Househunt
------Drama
-----------------Keep
-----------------Later
-----------------New

Everyone
------News
------Technology
----------------- Cars
-----------------Computers
------SciFi
------SaveForXmas

Last edited by crxssi : 10-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #135
jhnversion1

Anyone having any issues with recordings with the new update? I find some recordings getting cut or starting really late. Can anyone provide any insight...
jhnversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #136
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
Can you imagine having 12 or 18 tuners avail and making it easy to manage from one interface.
Yes, it's called Windows Media Center with multiple Cablecard tuners.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #137
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
How "convenient"- sign out and sign in every time you want to see another single flat directory/folder...... blech

I was thinking there would be no sign in/out process. Just a matter of selecting the profile you want. If you had to actually sign in every time then Profiles would be worthless for me.

I guess they could have a sign in option, but I would think most people living together like a family would have no need to have a password for everyone to sign in. If they can't trust each other to only use their own profile then they have some other issues they need to worry about.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #138
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Agreed, and if profiles could some how support suggestions, then even better.

I am so tired of all the children's programming in the suggestions list. My kids are getting older, but set a season pass for "The last Air Bender: the Legend of Kora" and my entire season pass directory is filled with children's programming.

That's why I had it turned off on the Premiere and it is getting pretty close on the Roamio as well,

Create Season Pass -> Choose a Profile -> specific user / global

Easy - one extra step and default would be global so it isn't intrusive for individuals who don't need it!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #139
flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I am so tired of all the children's programming in the suggestions list. My kids are getting older, but set a season pass for "The last Air Bender: the Legend of Kora" and my entire season pass directory is filled with children's programming.
The Last Airbender is children's programming? What?

(Seriously, the original series is one of my favorite all time pieces of entertainment - alongside Firefly and West Wing. I knew sequels were coming but I hadn't kept track...and don't judge the series by the truly awful live action movie that was put out a couple of years ago...)
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #140
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The Last Airbender is children's programming? What?

(Seriously, the original series is one of my favorite all time pieces of entertainment - alongside Firefly and West Wing. I knew sequels were coming but I hadn't kept track...and don't judge the series by the truly awful live action movie that was put out a couple of years ago...)
Oh, I loved the origional, it was fantastic!!! Kora is okay, but not nearly is good as Ang.

As for the movie, that dang M. Night Shyamalan can screw up a wet dream...

I was watching After Earth the other day and thought, "Wow, that really should have been a better movie. I wonder what happend" Then the credits: Directed by M. Night Shyamalan. That explains it!!!!!

Why does this guy still get work?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #141
jcthorne

Quote:
I do use folders, but even with folders I have many dozens and dozens of them. And that is on top of the many dozens and dozens of recordings that aren't in a folder.

If I had a profile option I could, for instance, create a profile for my GF that would only have a bunch of lifetime recordings which would make them very easy to find. Which is very difficult right now. i would create another profile for cable news programs, another profile for local news, etc. All of this would make the management of the My Shows list so much easier.

I'm spending alot of time finding stuff which didn't used to be the case when my recordings were split up between two Elites and I used a two tuner Premiere for my GFs recordings. I knew I would have some issues when I dropped down to one cable card, but I didn't realize it would become this bad.
I totally agree profiles or nested folders are needed for better organization. Actually, for me, it would mostly remove the need for integrating the NPL as I would just move everything to the main TiVo and the others would simply be clients.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #142
NYHeel

Smile

Quote:
Not me. I would find profiles to be almost useless; especially if switching between them is not one simple function.

It's just me but I find that profiles would work much better for a typical family. Plus it could be consistent on the season pass level as well. So you set a season pass in one profile and all recordings automatically go to that profile. It could be really easy and you can view the My Shows list and Season Pass Manager by profile.

They can use the color buttons to switch between profiles. So you can have 4 profiles or maybe one button just toggles through them if you have more profiles allowed. Either way I think that a much better solution than custom folders which would take a long time to set up and manage. Of course both would be best.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #143
anthonymoody

Profiles can be done well. Check out the way Netflix handles profiles. Not only is it a robust solution but a simple one to set up, use, and switch among.

In fact, having profiles on TiVo that you could link to profiles on Netflix would be really cool.

Personally I think profiles are the way of the future for family households with a single paying account but multiple users and even more devices.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #144
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Personally I think profiles are the way of the future for family households with a single paying account but multiple users and even more devices.
Especially if the profiles sync with the Mini. That way you could put one in a bedroom and it could show specific recordings for that person. And they could view the same profile from the main Roamio.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #145
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Especially if the profiles sync with the Mini. That way you could put one in a bedroom and it could show specific recordings for that person. And they could view the same profile from the main Roamio.
That would actually be very cool - a default profile for a client Mini.

Folders vs. Profiles - TiVo would never do folders, it would take way too much minipulation on the consumers part to setup and use and it would take way too many new admin screens that TiVo would have to "get right" in order to make it usable.

Profiles on the otherhand, is mechanism being leveraged by Netflix and others because it is easier to implement and understand at the consumer level. And can be implemented with modest changes to the current UI flow.

So debate it all you want, one is probable in time the other isn't even remotely viable.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #146
Devx

+1 for profiles. Really though, any solution would be better than what we have. I could work with folders too if there was nesting support. Otherwise its just a more advanced replacement for the current show groupings we already have.

An advantage of profiles that I haven't seen mentioned might also be the ability to put a password or pin on certain profiles. Sure, users should trust one another if they have access to the same box but parents may not want kids to see certain recordings or programming (even the titles) and that could be restricted behind a specific profile with a pin. No pin should be the default however. If all profiles required a pin it would become very cumbersome to manage.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #147
jmpage2

I think with the introduction of the Mini, profiles is a pretty logical thing that they will do. The question is when.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #148
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
It's just me but I find that profiles would work much better for a typical family.
Yes, but I am not a family. I am one person and one TiVo. That is why profiles would be of very little value to me.

Custom folders, however, could benefit both single people and family units. And even if I were a family unit (of 2 which is most common for non-single), I would be almost as annoyed.... big whoop, now instead of having a flat list of hundreds of things, I would have half a flat list of hundreds of things.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #149
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Yes, but I am not a family. I am one person and one TiVo. That is why profiles would be of very little value to me.

Custom folders, however, could benefit both single people and family units. And even if I were a family unit (of 2 which is most common for non-single), I would be almost as annoyed.... big whoop, now instead of having a flat list of hundreds of things, I would have half a flat list of hundreds of things.
Totally agree. That's one of the main features that tivo could add that would have value for me.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #150
BigJimOutlaw

They said at Roamio's launch they were working on a "3 column" My Shows feature, which hasn't shown up so evidently it's been pushed back.

If it's a hybrid of WTWN, that in a way is folder-ish, but I sure hope it's optional.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote