TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #31
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

I have mine in strictly RF mode, as far as I know--that's the default, right? I haven't had any problems except that the light on the remote itself isn't functioning.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #32
aasun

Ive swapped my Two remotes between the two roamios. Still having the problem with the same tivo (the problem did not follow the remote)

Use the remote 15-20 feet from a tivo that us behind a wall. When rf works, it's great. Frequently, the first few presses have a red light, indicating it's not sending an rf signal, just a it signal...which won't reach the tivo in this setting.

Hoping that software update mentioned comes soon, and indeed fixes the problem!
aasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #33
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasun View Post
Ive swapped my Two remotes between the two roamios. Still having the problem with the same tivo (the problem did not follow the remote)

Use the remote 15-20 feet from a tivo that us behind a wall. When rf works, it's great. Frequently, the first few presses have a red light, indicating it's not sending an rf signal, just a it signal...which won't reach the tivo in this setting.

I have two Roamios + and I get the same problems your getting with the remotes, each Roamio does the same thing with each remote.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
bbrown9

Did I miss something? I thought the remote only worked in RF mode and the TiVo could do either IR or RF. How did you find out how to set the remote into RF or IR mode? It defaults to RF, right?
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #35
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Did I miss something? I thought the remote only worked in RF mode and the TiVo could do either IR or RF. How did you find out how to set the remote into RF or IR mode? It defaults to RF, right?
The remote will do both. Watch the light on the end of the remote. If it's red = IR, yellow = RF. Tivo button and Red C button changes to IR, Tivo Button and Green D changes to RF.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
The remote will do both. Watch the light on the end of the remote. If it's red = IR, yellow = RF. Tivo button and Red C button changes to IR, Tivo Button and Green D changes to RF.
How did you find that out?
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
How did you find that out?
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719

It's in the FAQ section of Support

To switch modes
Switching to IR mode

To enter IR mode, press and hold the TiVo+Red C buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights. The remote remains in IR mode until you enter the key combination that puts the remote into RF mode.
Switching to RF mode

Entering RF mode causes a paired remote that is currently operating in IR mode to switch to RF mode. This procedure has no effect in New Pairing mode or when the remote is unpaired. To change the remote control from IR mode to RF mode, press and hold the TiVo+Green D buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights.
To use the remote finder feature (Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro only)

Are you always losing your remote? The TiVo Roamio remote uses a remote finder feature to help you locate your missing remote. Just touch the amber image of the remote control on the front of the DVR to activate a familiar TiVo jingle on the remote. When you find the remote, press any button to deactivate the sound, or just wait 15 seconds for it to turn off automatically.

IMPORTANT: Only Roamio Plus and Pro DVRs support the remote finder feature, the 4-tuner Roamio does not have a remote finder. In addition, the Roamio remote must be in RF mode.
To perform a global reset

The Global Reset function unpairs the Roamio remote from the paired DVR, then clears any other remote settings, such as IR codes for your television or other A/V device. Use this function to unpair a remote and return it to the out-of-box settings.

IMPORTANT: You will need both the paired Roamio remote and the DVR to perform a global reset. If your paired remote has been lost or damaged, you will need to use a new remote in IR mode to put the DVR in a pairing state, then pair the new remote to the DVR. For instructions, see To Pair a different remote to your DVR.
To perform a global reset:

Press and hold the TiVo + TV Power buttons until the activity indicator blinks red.
Press Thumbs Down three times, then press Enter.

The activity indicator will flash red three times if the global reset is successful.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #38
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

My Roamio remote would not switch to RF mode, if I held TiVo-D keys it never blinked amber, although it would acknowledge TiVo-C by blinking red.

I was thinking it must be a defective remote when I decided to try a simulated Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the remote. I removed the batteries, put them back, and it started working in RF mode without being commanded.

It seems to be working as expected in RF mode now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #39
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
My Roamio remote would not switch to RF mode, if I held TiVo-D keys it never blinked amber, although it would acknowledge TiVo-C by blinking red.

I was thinking it must be a defective remote when I decided to try a simulated Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the remote. I removed the batteries, put them back, and it started working in RF mode without being commanded.

It seems to be working as expected in RF mode now.
This is just a guess, but did you originally put batteries in the remote before your Roamio was powered up?

I suspect when batteries are inserted into the remote, it tries to pair up via RF and if it doesn't find one, it defaults to IR.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #40
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
This is just a guess, but did you originally put batteries in the remote before your Roamio was powered up?

I suspect when batteries are inserted into the remote, it tries to pair up via RF and if it doesn't find one, it defaults to IR.
I believe I did, and that theory sounds correct to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #41
wco81

Mine only has amber but it definitely requires line of sight to the box for the remote actions to register.

It was fine until I turned on network remote control, figuring that would enable mobile apps to control. But then I noticed it no longer controlled the volume on my AVR nor the power on my TV, that I had set up.

So I turned off network remote control but it still isn't working without line of sight, though the transmission light is amber.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #42
gatorbait

This became a real issue this weekend trying to watch football games that were not live.

I got to the point where I didn't dare FFWD towards the end of a game because I was afraid the remote would forget it was in RF mode and output several IR's in a row and I would fly through a critical part of the game before I could again communicate with the TiVo box.

Finally resorted to controlling the system with my iPhone.

Anyone with this issue get any kind of resolution yet from TiVo?
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #43
gatorbait

This continues to be a real problem for me. Took the remote down to the basement next to the Roamio to try IR from just two feet away. My remote never output IR. Even when it was in RF and would "stutter" to IR the TiVo box never recognized it nor did my IR repeater.

I am now convinced my remote is defective. Getting it replaced will be the problem.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #44
Dan203
Super Moderator

Call TiVo they should replace it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #45
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasun View Post

I wanted to fix or find out why the RF remote worked on one Roamio Plus and not on the other Roamio Plus, so I took out the hard drive on both TiVos and switched out the little remote RF board in front of the hard drive, it is just plug into the motherboard but you must move the front panel forward to unplug this small board. After the board switch the RF problem stayed with the board so now the TiVo with the problem was fixed and the other unit now had the RF remote problem, I am sure TiVo will not send me a new remoter RF board and I don't want to go through the hassle of sending the unit back even if I am under the 30 day time, so I will live with the RF not working on that TiVo. As a side note one of the T-10 screws holding the hard drive had not been threaded, I replaced it with a treaded one I had. I wonder if a non threaded T-10 screw has any value, maybe I will put it on E-Bay.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #46
Fsron

I am new to Tvio and did some quick checking with my remote. Mentioning that Iím new so this may be totally dumb and off the mark. I believe my remote is working OK.

Within 20 feet of the Tivo, line of site and no line of site, remote flashes yellow and the Tivo responds. I donít recall seeing red flashes.

35 feet in line of site the remote mainly flashes yellow and the Tivo pretty much responds.

30 feet behind walls, no IR possible. Remote mainly flashes red with an occasional yellow. Tivo only responds occasionally and I think that is with the occasional yellow.

I donít know of an instance where the remote is in RF mode, has flashed red, and and the Tivo responded. Although that scenario is certainly a possibility.

So how does the remote know how far away it is from the Tivo and to switch to IR mode even though it has no chance in IR? I donít notice mine flashing red when it is in range.

Are we sure the red flash in RF mode indicates it reverted to IR? Is it possible that the remote is more sophisticated and the yellow indicates that an RF transmission was sent AND that it was received. Two way communication.
Fsron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #47
jmpage2

The remote and the TiVo are using RF wireless to communicate and possibly have some kind of "ping" or acknowledgement to each other when buttons are being pushed so that they know they are in communication.

Without more understanding of the RF protocol being used its speculation.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #48
gatorbait

Called TiVo to replace the remote. I was told they don't have any. I either need to swap everything or except an older remote as replacement. That is disappointing.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #49
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We're looking into it

We are currently looking into issues that some customers are experiencing with the Roamio RF remote control, and investigating whether we could do a software update to alleviate some of the problems.

It is a good idea to make sure your Roamio isn't too close to other devices that use the same wireless spectrum, like a WiFi router or a cordless phone. Your Roamio should be 3 to 5 feet away from other WiFi transmitters -- even further if you have something high strength like the 2Wire U-Verse router. You may also want to try other channels on your WiFi router and see if that improves things.

If RF still is not working for you, you can set your Roamio remote to IR Mode, by pressing and holding TIVO and the red C button at the same time. (To return to RF Mode, press and hold TIVO and the green D button at the same time.)

I do not recommend exchanging your Roamio remote at this time. Please wait and see if we are able to update the software, and if that doesn't solve your issues, then an exchange might be in order.

I will update this thread again when there is a software update available.

Thanks for your patience.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #50
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If RF still is not working for you, you can set your Roamio remote to IR Mode, by pressing and holding TIVO and the red C button at the same time. (To return to RF Mode, press and hold TIVO and the green D button at the same time.)
I canít seem to get the TiVo-Pause combo to allow me to change the Raomio remote IR mode away from 0. Iíve put the unit in IR mode, and Iíve tried removing and reinserting the batteries out while the remote is out of RF range. TiVo-Pause still doesnít work.

Is there a new way to set the IR code on this remote?

I have 6 other TiVos all viewable and remote controllable throughout the house by IR repeater. A remote that can spontaneously go into IR mode 0 and start sending commands to all 7 TiVos is simply too dangerous to use.
joblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #51
gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post

I do not recommend exchanging your Roamio remote at this time. Please wait and see if we are able to update the software, and if that doesn't solve your issues, then an exchange might be in order.

I will update this thread again when there is a software update available.

Thanks for your patience.

--Margret

My issue is now resolved. Before I saw this message from Margaret I had already agreed to have a replacement TiVo overnighted to me. I received it today.

I spent the roughly 90 minutes to plug the box in, download the software, setup the cable card with Comcast, and such.

My remote paired flawlessly and things finally work like I would expect. I am so relieved.

With all due respect Margaret I don't know that it is fair to ask people to wait for a software update. I did nothing different and this time my experience is perfect. I have paid for a month of service and battled an inconsistent remote throughout. A DVR without a remote control is really not a real worthwhile toy.

Thanks so much to the TiVo folks that finally helped me out and got this thing resolved.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #52
jgerry
save vinyl

I have this issue as well. I changed the channels on my wifi router, both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. This seems to have resolved my issue. All yellow (RF) all the time now. Let's hope it lasts!
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #53
jgerry
save vinyl

Nope. Never mind. It's flaking out again.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Recommended WiFi channels

Our engineers suggest that choosing one of the following WiFi channels will minimize interference with the RF Remote:

(in order of preference): 1, 11, or 6
TiVo Inc. *

Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #55
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We are looking for a few people that have experienced issues with their RF remote to join our Beta program and see if the update helps. If you are interested, please:

1. Sign up at http://fieldtrials.tivo.com

2. Email me, and let me know you have signed up, with the subject: "Roamio RF Remote fix"

Thanks!
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #56
flyerwire

Thanks for monitoring Margret, i've sent the email and really hope this is a software fix and not a hardware issue. Look forward to trying it
flyerwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #57
RSCHOON

Any updates on this issue? There was a software update last week, wasn't there? Was this issue added in that? Thanks for any info.
RSCHOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #58
livefromny

I'd also appreciate an update. Just setup my new Roamio Pro and am having the same issue.
livefromny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #59
Devx

The latest update was supposed to address this for those having interference issues with the remote.

See changelog below:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510259
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #60
Time_Lord

Anybody every get a true fix to this?

I am still experiencing this issue, I set the remote to RF mode and then maybe 15 minutes or so later the remote goes back to IR mode. A little frustrating as the IR control can be flaky sometimes because of where the TiVo sits.

-TL
Time_Lord is online now   Reply With Quote