TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #451
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post

While I initially loved my MCE box with the Ceton Tuner...I ditched it when I moved from Melbourne, FL to Miami, FL in favor of the Roamio and I'm not looking back.

With the MCE box there were too many issues that cropped up due to the latest Ceton Firmware and/or MCE Updates that caused too many missed/failed recordings.
Yeah I've had mce on and off for a long time as well, using Ceton, silicon dust and many other tuners. I'll tell you though, the Ceton InfiniTV 6pcie was extremely stable once they gave me the new FW that fixed this very tuning issue that's being discussed here with tivos.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #452
profet

Cablevision with NDS card here.

Seems that this issue has gotten worse since the roamio update. I used to get five tuners now I'm down to four.
profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #453
HDRyder9

Am I the only user that's down a tuner after the mid October update?
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #454
andyf

I don't think the update has any effect on this issue, hence I haven't tried going back to 6 tuners.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #455
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I don't think the update has any effect on this issue, hence I haven't tried going back to 6 tuners.
Why aren't more people screaming about this? I'm pretty perturbed that I bought a 6 tuner Tivo that doesn't have 6 tuners.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #456
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
Why aren't more people screaming about this? I'm pretty perturbed that I bought a 6 tuner Tivo that doesn't have 6 tuners.
It's not TiVo's fault. It's the cable card firmware bug's fault and the cable company not updating cable cards to a bugfixed firmware version.

TiVo is trying to work around someone else's bugs, but if the card isn't following the standard, anything TiVo does above and beyond the standard is extraordinary effort.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #457
AdamNJ

hope for the Cablevision NDS people

On Oct 21 Wilt Hildenbrand responded to a user asking about progress on the NDS firmware, "We're close." So they apparently are working on it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/c...s/topics/76754

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #458
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
It's not TiVo's fault. It's the cable card firmware bug's fault and the cable company not updating cable cards to a bugfixed firmware version. TiVo is trying to work around someone else's bugs, but if the card isn't following the standard, anything TiVo does above and beyond the standard is extraordinary effort. --Carlos V.
While that's all true, Ceton had the same issue with their Cablecard tuners and TA tuning and they decided to write a workaround into their firmware to force the tune. While probably not the best solution, it worked for me 100% until Cisco finally wakes up and updates their FW.

Why can't TiVo do the same as Ceton???
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #459
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
While that's all true, Ceton had the same issue with their Cablecard tuners and TA tuning and they decided to write a workaround into their firmware to force the tune. While probably not the best solution, it worked for me 100% until Cisco finally wakes up and updates their FW.

Why can't TiVo do the same as Ceton???
<speculation>Probably because with Ceton it's easier for them to target certain customers with certain firmware updates, but with TiVo once they roll out an update it affects everyone and might actually break things for customers that originally had no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #460
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
On Oct 21 Wilt Hildenbrand responded to a user asking about progress on the NDS firmware, "We're close." So they apparently are working on it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/c...s/topics/76754
Interesting because I hadn't heard from Cablevision for weeks with regard to my FTC complaint and now today I received a call. The lady has been very nice and she told me that they are working on it but couldn't tell me where they are with progress. She did however echo the same thing as Wilt said with the "We're close" comment. That said, she didn't have a date but said she would be in touch again soon.

I thanked her but still expressed my displeasure with this ongoing issue. I said while I'm patient I do not believe I will be as patient if this is still an issue a month from now. She seemed very confident when she said "I don't think it will be."

So, we'll see.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #461
BobCamp1

Quote:
It's not TiVo's fault. It's the cable card firmware bug's fault and the cable company not updating cable cards to a bugfixed firmware version.

TiVo is trying to work around someone else's bugs, but if the card isn't following the standard, anything TiVo does above and beyond the standard is extraordinary effort.

--Carlos V.
Sure it's partially Tivo's fault. They either didn't test older firmware versions, or falsely assumed that every single cable company was running the latest. Or they knew about the issues but launched it anyway. This sounds very familiar....
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #462
uw69

Quote:

--Carlos V.
I agree. It is unreasonable for TiVo to "plan" for shortcomings in other vendors hardware/software. The frustrations of our fellow TiVo users is difficult, but let's put the blame where it should be....cable companies saving a buck or two by not updating their firmware.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #463
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I agree. It is unreasonable for TiVo to "plan" for shortcomings in other vendors hardware/software. The frustrations of our fellow TiVo users is difficult, but let's put the blame where it should be....cable companies saving a buck or two by not updating their firmware.
Actually, that's not true. It is perfectly reasonable to plan for reality if you want customers to be happy with a product. The fact that some standard document somewhere says "it works this way" doesn't really matter. The way the actual hardware works is what matters. And if it is possible to make the product work with actual hardware, then doing that is a hell of a lot more constructive than pointing at a standards document and whining that it isn't your fault.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #464
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Actually, that's not true. It is perfectly reasonable to plan for reality if you want customers to be happy with a product. The fact that some standard document somewhere says "it works this way" doesn't really matter. The way the actual hardware works is what matters. And if it is possible to make the product work with actual hardware, then doing that is a hell of a lot more constructive than pointing at a standards document and whining that it isn't your fault.
The problem is, when you deviate from those standards you run the risk of breaking other things or breaking things down the line when the other bender gets their act together and conforms to the spec.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #465
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I guess I would ask what the point is of having standards if they are not followed? The blame is squarely on the cable co., not TiVo. I think in some respects cable companies try to make using a TiVo on their system as difficult as possible. They would rather we all use their equipment.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #466
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
Interesting because I hadn't heard from Cablevision for weeks with regard to my FTC complaint and now today I received a call. The lady has been very nice and she told me that they are working on it but couldn't tell me where they are with progress. She did however echo the same thing as Wilt said with the "We're close" comment. That said, she didn't have a date but said she would be in touch again soon.

I thanked her but still expressed my displeasure with this ongoing issue. I said while I'm patient I do not believe I will be as patient if this is still an issue a month from now. She seemed very confident when she said "I don't think it will be."

So, we'll see.
On the whole "I hate Cablevision" but given their overall responsiveness on this issue (I have a Cisco card that was updated), low price for cablecards, and iPad app, I have to say that among cable companies they're not bad. That's not saying much I know!

Now if they'd only port their app to ps3...
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #467
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
The problem is, when you deviate from those standards you run the risk of breaking other things or breaking things down the line when the other bender gets their act together and conforms to the spec.
Not really. The code looks like:

Is it this stupid firmware version?
Yes, then apply this stupid fix.
else is it this other stupid firmware version?
Yes, apply this other stupid fix.
else...
else
Hey, we didn't find an exception, let's pretend it follows the standard...

You can't believe how much code like that I have in the debugger I work on, both for different wacky versions of gcc that have their own unique interpretation of the dwarf debug info standard and for different linux kernel versions that have their own unique ways of interacting with the poor old debugger.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #468
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I guess I would ask what the point is of having standards if they are not followed? The blame is squarely on the cable co., not TiVo. I think in some respects cable companies try to make using a TiVo on their system as difficult as possible. They would rather we all use their equipment.
Sometimes standards have gray areas that require interoperability testing and an informal agreement between the companies as to how to resolve them. Bluetooth is notorious for this.

It's possible that Tivo isn't following the standards quite right or differently than everyone else, but the newer versions of Cablecard firmware takes that into account. The Roamio is a new product, it's entitled to have bugs too. Most likely though there are bugs on both sides.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #469
tds4182

Smile Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
Sure it's partially Tivo's fault. They either didn't test older firmware versions, or falsely assumed that every single cable company was running the latest. Or they knew about the issues but launched it anyway. This sounds very familiar....
On Tivo's web site they suggest the following to activate either 4 or 6 tuners respectively:

From Tivo Central go to Settings and Messages, then Settings, then Channels, then Channel List:

For 4 tuners use your keypad to enter the #s 88634

For 6 tuners use your keypad to enter the #s 88636

This fix is for the Roamios.

Hope this helps somebody!
tds4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #470
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds4182 View Post
On Tivo's web site they suggest the following to activate either 4 or 6 tuners respectively:
I don't think you're quite understanding what that does. It doesn't activate tuners, it disables tuners. It's not a fix, it's a temporary workaround to reduce the number of tuners so that recordings aren't missed. See post #40 of this thread.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #471
tds4182

Question Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I don't think you're quite understanding what that does. It doesn't activate tuners, it disables tuners. It's not a fix, it's a temporary workaround to reduce the number of tuners so that recordings aren't missed. See post #40 of this thread.
If I read Margaret's post correctly, if you had 4 tuners active and entered the code to activate 6 tuners (and heard the corresponding # of bongs from your Tivo) would that not activate the additional 2 tuners for a total of 6?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #472
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds4182 View Post
If I read Margaret's post correctly, if you had 4 tuners active and entered the code to activate 6 tuners (and heard the corresponding # of bongs from your Tivo) would that not activate the additional 2 tuners for a total of 6?
If you previously entered the code to limit your TiVo to 4 tuners, then yes it would change it back to 6 tuners. However, if your cable card firmware doesn't support 6 tuners, this doesn't change that. Those codes are just a way to artificially limit the number of tuners the TiVo uses so that it doesn't miss recordings when it tries to record on more tuners than the cable card firmware supports.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #473
bcronin

Quote:

So, we'll see.
Hope its true. I am on CV and am specifically holding off on upgrading Premiere to Roamio due to this issue.
--
bc
bcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #474
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
If you previously entered the code to limit your TiVo to 4 tuners, then yes it would change it back to 6 tuners. However, if your cable card firmware doesn't support 6 tuners, this doesn't change that. Those codes are just a way to artificially limit the number of tuners the TiVo uses so that it doesn't miss recordings when it tries to record on more tuners than the cable card firmware supports.
You are correct. Some people bought the Pro or the Plus mainly for the six tuners and ended up have to disable two of them. If they knew they weren't going to get six tuners to work, they could have saved $200 by getting the plain Roamio.

Hopefully this limitation will be temporary. It sounds like both sides are working on it. But it breaks an unwritten rule of buying something based on what it does today, not on what it is promised to do in the future. Which is why some people are nervous and/or impatient.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #475
tds4182

Smile Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized

Quote:

So, we'll see.
I'm a Suddenlink customer just outside Houston and it took 2 very long service calls and 3 MCards before one finally worked and gave me all the stations my packages call for.

I'm not sure but I suspect I finally got an MCard with the right firmware to talk to the Roamio Plus and all 6 tuners.

The techs who came out know very little about the Roamio Plus and seemed amazed that Tivo was even making/distributing such a unit.

They rent Tivos but they are pretty basic 2 or 4 tuner models with their version of VOD built in.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #476
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcronin View Post
Hope its true. I am on CV and am specifically holding off on upgrading Premiere to Roamio due to this issue.
--
bc
I am feeling good about this. I believe they will have this updated within the next couple of weeks. Maybe you'll get a good deal on a Roamio Plus or Pro, especially in around Black Friday.

Even though there hasn't been a true software/firmware update I have been running 5 tuners now for a couple of weeks without issue. For the first month I had the Roamio I was only able to run on 4 tuners so I think we'll see progress and an end to this in a couple of weeks. I know it's optimism but while at first it seemed Cablevision could care less, now it seems they have moved this up.

Cross your fingers Cablevision NDS fans. Will let you know of progress.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #477
johnner1999

Quote:
I am feeling good about this. I believe they will have this updated within the next couple of weeks. Maybe you'll get a good deal on a Roamio Plus or Pro, especially in around Black Friday.

Even though there hasn't been a true software/firmware update I have been running 5 tuners now for a couple of weeks without issue. For the first month I had the Roamio I was only able to run on 4 tuners so I think we'll see progress and an end to this in a couple of weeks. I know it's optimism but while at first it seemed Cablevision could care less, now it seems they have moved this up.

Cross your fingers Cablevision NDS fans. Will let you know of progress.
CV areas with cisco mcards are good with 6 tunners?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
johnner1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #478
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post
CV areas with cisco mcards are good with 6 tunners?
Yes, Cablevision areas that use SA/Cisco cards are good. Your card will need to update to firmware 1.5.3.1101, which should happen automatically. I was one of the 'early testers' but it seems this has been generally rolled out of all customers from reading multiple reports on this forum.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #479
HDRyder9

I have begun to escalate this issue with Comcast. The CSRs didn't know what the word "firmware" meant. I have gotten past them to an engineer. We'll see how this goes.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #480
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
I have begun to escalate this issue with Comcast. The CSRs didn't know what the word "firmware" meant. I have gotten past them to an engineer. We'll see how this goes.
I sent an EMail to their Corporate Customer Service about a month ago at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com . I didn't receive a reply. Probably need a bunch of Emails regarding this issue for them to take this seriously.