TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #91
SlappyMcgee

On my Tivo HD I have always had these little ads on the pause menu, and at the bottom the list when I bring up the Tivo menu. It just looks like a menu selection on the pause screen.
SlappyMcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #92
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I already have to do this, to get rid of the pause bar. It's always in the way.

Pause + clear. That's the routine. Every time.
I do a pause and then right arrow to advance a frame. It annoys me every time I hit pause as I am usually pausing because I want to get a better look at what's on screen as opposed to pausing and walking away.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #93
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Ah, now THAT'S a good question.

I don't find them that annoying, but how many people have to find them annoying before it stops being worth it?

Companies have been asking this questions for a really long time.

i think Amazon's "with offers!" model, for example, gives the "opt out" just so you have it. I don't know anyone who has ever taken it. Just the fact that it EXISTS makes people go "ok, so, I don't HAVE to look at the ads... but I will, because money." But when you don't offer that, it makes people go "JUUUUUUSSSSSTICEEEEEEE! FREEEDOMOMMMMMMMM!!!! I AM SO MADDDDDDD!!!!!!"

We just want options to make suboptimal choices, even if we don't make them!
I wouldn't even consider a Kindle that has the ads. For me, it's worth the extra cash to get rid of them. Different strokes...
Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #94
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I wouldn't even consider a Kindle that has the ads. For me, it's worth the extra cash to get rid of them. Different strokes...
I bought one and don't even notice it. The ad only shows on the main screen and a single swipe of your finger gets rid of it. It does not intrude on the UI anywhere else. Plus the cool thing is you can buy the ad supported one and if you decide later that you don't like the ads you can simply pay $20 and they're gone forever.

I wish TiVo would offer an option like that. I'd pay an extra $20 to opt-out of the ads.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #95
zalusky

If they are going to do this they should offer a second tier no AD model.

Many people want the cheap and many people want the first class model.
You can do that for apps on your phone!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #96
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I bought one and don't even notice it. The ad only shows on the main screen and a single swipe of your finger gets rid of it. It does not intrude on the UI anywhere else. Plus the cool thing is you can buy the ad supported one and if you decide later that you don't like the ads you can simply pay $20 and they're gone forever.

I wish TiVo would offer an option like that. I'd pay an extra $20 to opt-out of the ads.
Sounds like the ads on the Kindle are much less intrusive. I have to admit that I would opt for the no ads version though

I would also pay TiVo a fee to kill the ads. Are you listening TiVo?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #97
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The ADs on the kindle Fire have saved me more money than it would have cost to pay to remove the ads.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #98
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
The Kindle ads are way, way better than the dead author screensavers.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #99
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The ADs on the kindle Fire have saved me more money than it would have cost to pay to remove the ads.
Mine has been in Air Plane mode since the day I got it and downloaded the book I was reading, so it hasn't actually downloaded an ad yet. Just has a little banner that says please connect to wifi to download the latest offers.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #100
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
As I have mentioned before, to each his own. In my case, it's worth the cost to get rid of them.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #101
jmpage2

Quote:

Right, but you 'opted in' to ads, you have no reason to complain if they change the advertising lineup and start introducing ads more frequently, like between book chapters.

In the case of the TiVo, I bought it knowing that it had ad types A B and C and now they've added type D and I'm not happy about that... especially considering the Cadillac pricing of TiVo.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #102
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Right, but you 'opted in' to ads, you have no reason to complain if they change the advertising lineup and start introducing ads more frequently, like between book chapters.

In the case of the TiVo, I bought it knowing that it had ad types A B and C and now they've added type D and I'm not happy about that... especially considering the Cadillac pricing of TiVo.
You seem to feel that TiVo broke some kind of implicit contract with you by running the pause ads. Could you state exactly what you felt that contract was (all of it) at the time you bought the TiVo?

I have no idea what your conception of the contract with TiVo was.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #103
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
You seem to feel that TiVo broke some kind of implicit contract with you by running the pause ads. Could you state exactly what you felt that contract was (all of it) at the time you bought the TiVo?

I have no idea what your conception of the contract with TiVo was.
Nope, it's not worth going into verbal contracts, terms of service and how courts have upheld consumers having reasonable expectations of service delivery for products they've bought and paid for.

Clearly there are more people who empathize with TiVo, like Carbonite ads, want TiVo to make more money because of the terror of a world without TiVo than people like me who are needled by all of these annoying changes.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #104
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Nope, it's not worth going into verbal contracts, terms of service and how courts have upheld consumers having reasonable expectations of service delivery for products they've bought and paid for.
That wasn't what I asked at all, and I suspect you know that. You've been arguing that TiVo broke a contract with you, but are unwilling to say what the contract was. People have been arguing with that, not that this wasn't objectionable behavior by TiVo. Lots of people are annoyed at TiVo, but you're the only one saying they broke a contract. Why?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #105
HarperVision

Quote:
. I'd pay an extra $20 to opt-out of the ads.
Quote:
.....I would also pay TiVo a fee to kill the ads. Are you listening TiVo?
I can't even believe I'm reading people saying they'd pay TiVo $$$ EVEN MORE MONEY $$$ to not have ads after already spending a high premium ($1k plus) on basically a fancy TV guide service!!!

Gullible says "what"....?

Last edited by HarperVision : 10-24-2013 at 07:56 PM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #106
jmpage2

Now there are ads for Bounty paper towels. Aaron make sure you get a deal on those.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #107
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Now there are ads for Bounty paper towels. Aaron make sure you get a deal on those.
I did that yesterday

My GF uses Bounty so I will give the coupon to her.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #108
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I can't even believe I'm reading people saying they'd pay TiVo $$$ EVEN MORE MONEY $$$ to not have ads after already spending a high premium ($1k plus) on basically a fancy TV guide service!!!

Gullible says "what"....?
I don't consider myself gullible, but hey... maybe that's my problem
Old 10-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #109
HarperVision

Quote:
I don't consider myself gullible, but hey... maybe that's my problem
I hope you didn't take that personally, it wasn't meant to be. I apologize.

I already feel like a PT Barnum victim just buying the lifetime service, let alone if they asked me to pay them even more for one of their "features" to rectify an issue THEY created. Please excuse my cynicism.

I feel like that giant fat guy from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life where the waiter asks him to eat just "one more wafer thin mint" after he just engorged himself for hours. He said he couldn't fit one more thing inside but he let himself be talked into it, so he ate the tiny mint and then EXPLODED all over the restaurant!

I'm at the "wafer thin mint" point with TiVo right about now.

Last edited by HarperVision : 10-25-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #110
swerver

Quote:
I already feel like a PT Barnum victim just buying the lifetime service
Why's that? If you keep it for 2 years, the service is easily offset by what you'd pay a cable co for a lesser dvr. Seems to me that paying the cable co every month for an inferior product is the sucker's bet.

I completely agree that tivo should offer an ad opt out. Whether I would pay would depend on how much they want. At this point, the ads don't bother me much so I wouldn't pay much.
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #111
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Why's that? If you keep it for 2 years, the service is easily offset by what you'd pay a cable co for a lesser dvr. Seems to me that paying the cable co every month for an inferior product is the sucker's bet.

I completely agree that tivo should offer an ad opt out. Whether I would pay would depend on how much they want. At this point, the ads don't bother me much so I wouldn't pay much.
That's not even close to an accurate representation.

A base level Roamio with Lifetime service is approximately $700 for the typical customer who does not know they can get a $100 off lifetime discount when making the purchase.

Most cable companies charge $15 or so per month for a DVR. They also provide the equivalent of a lifetime extended warranty including the ability to upgrade to a better model at zero cost to the consumer.

2 years of renting the cable company DVR is about $360, which is far shy of the $700 a TiVo runs. TiVo has great resale value today, but we don't really know what it will be in another 2-3-4 years, especially if they keep stuffing it with ads.

I like my TiVo a LOT better than the cable company DVR, but that's primarily because Comcast boxes are crap. The ones from Dish Network and DTV, which friends of mine have, while not up to TiVo quality are not "terrible" these days.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #112
HarperVision

Quote:

I'm mainly comparing it to the Windows Media Center, PC cablecard tuner, xbox360 whole home solution. The equipment costs are about the same and then there's no service fee to get guide data, etc.

......Oh Yeah, and NO ADS!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #113
swerver

Quote:

A base level Roamio with Lifetime service is approximately $700 for the typical customer who does not know they can get a $100 off lifetime discount when making the purchase.

Most cable companies charge $15 or so per month for a DVR. They also provide the equivalent of a lifetime extended warranty including the ability to upgrade to a better model at zero cost to the consumer.

2 years of renting the cable company DVR is about $360, which is far shy of the $700 a TiVo runs. TiVo has great resale value today, but we don't really know what it will be in another 2-3-4 years, especially if they keep stuffing it with ads.

I like my TiVo a LOT better than the cable company DVR, but that's primarily because Comcast boxes are crap. The ones from Dish Network and DTV, which friends of mine have, while not up to TiVo quality are not "terrible" these days.
I was talking about the service only, so it's actually a quite valid comparison thanks. $15 is a little low, they are inching up every year, most are more like $18 or $20 these days. At $18 x 24 months, you are up to $432 already.

The price of the device is offset when you sell it. You won't get all your money back, but you will get a good percentage of it.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #114
jmpage2

Quote:
I was talking about the service only, so it's actually a quite valid comparison thanks. $15 is a little low, they are inching up every year, most are more like $18 or $20 these days. At $18 x 24 months, you are up to $432 already.

The price of the device is offset when you sell it. You won't get all your money back, but you will get a good percentage of it.
Your comparison is still flawed. A TiVo without lifetime has very little resale value after 2-3 years... at least that has held true for the last couple of generations.

So someone can spend roughly the same amount for TiVo service or a cable rental that includes a warranty and the equivalent of free upgrades 'for life'.... and that doesn't include the initial outlay for the TiVo hardware or any additional cable-card charges they might incur if it's not the only device on their network.

The point I'm trying to make is that loading up the TiVo with additional adds dilutes it's value, at least that's my opinion.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #115
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

Quote:
I'm mainly comparing it to the Windows Media Center, PC cablecard tuner, xbox360 whole home solution. The equipment costs are about the same and then there's no service fee to get guide data, etc.

......Oh Yeah, and NO ADS!!!
Right, no ads and free guide data (for how long?)... but no more bug fixes and no new features, ever. Plus, WMC is not without its share of annoyances.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #116
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
The Kindle ads are way, way better than the dead author screensavers.
No they aren't. Culture trumps crap.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #117
Davelnlr_

Quote:

The pause ad is huge and covers the whole screen. If I pause to see something I have to press another button to get rid of it.
Wonder if a two key press macro on a programmable remote would work?
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #118
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post

Right, no ads and free guide data (for how long?)... but no more bug fixes and no new features, ever. Plus, WMC is not without its share of annoyances.
Worked pretty damned well for me and any bugs I had were indeed cleared within a couple weeks by the tuner manufacturers. Much more than I can say for my TiVo equipment. It just "worked"! There are "features" provided by third party developers btw. I do like TiVo believe it or not. Been a customer since the first 14 hr Philips model. It's just they push the limits and get pretty greedy sometimes and I don't think do the best things for their customers very often. They could've been HUGE by now if they did some things differently in the past. This is all my humble opinion anyway.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #119
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

You have to compare apple's to apple's. So the number of tuners need to be the same. With my Roamio Pro at $600, msd lifetime and two TiVo Minis with lifetime. The breakeven point is around 33 months when compared to what FiOS and Comcast offers in my area.. And that is before the resale value is added in since you own the TiVos.

With current pricing and getting a plus and adding your own drive, the breakeven point is even lower.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #120
swerver

Quote:
Your comparison is still flawed. A TiVo without lifetime has very little resale value after 2-3 years... at least that has held true for the last couple of generations.

So someone can spend roughly the same amount for TiVo service or a cable rental that includes a warranty and the equivalent of free upgrades 'for life'.... and that doesn't include the initial outlay for the TiVo hardware or any additional cable-card charges they might incur if it's not the only device on their network.

The point I'm trying to make is that loading up the TiVo with additional adds dilutes it's value, at least that's my opinion.
And I agree with that point. Sorry I wasn't clear - I was comparing lifetime service, to renting from cable Co., in which case the lifetime service bill is offset by renting a dvr for around 2 years. The $400 lifetime, not $500, since that's what I've paid for both my tivos.