TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
lreinstein

Many channels no longer showing in HD? Please help.

Hi.

I just installed a new TIVO Roamio Pro and it is all setup fine. I am receiving all my usual TWC channels with the new lineup

HOWEVER, more than half are not showing in HD that normally would be. Not at any channel location. Oddly, many still are HD, but around half are not.

Thoughts??

Larry
lreinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
lreinstein

Has anyone seen this?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Did you call your cable company??
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

In the channel lineup for your TWC, if you select a channel number that is listed as HD, and you tune the Tivo to that channel number, you're saying that channel is SD? Are you determining that by a resolution number (e.g., 480 for SD or 720 or 1080i for HD) given in the Tivo info?

Your lineup is on the web. Browse to:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...el-lineup.html
and enter your zip code etc.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
SNJpage1

The channel numbers just tell the tuner where to find the signal in the bandwith that the cable company is sending. That is why you might find a certain program on different channels. For example I get ABC out of Philly on channel 806 in HD and channel 206 in HD and channel 006 in SD. It sounds like the channel number isn't pointing to the correct frequency where the HD program is located.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
lreinstein

Thanks for all of your replies. I have some additional information and have tried some suggestions.

1. As to channel numbers, I understand what you are saying. I am indeed looking at networks that are broadcasting in HD (usually on 2 different channel numbers) and they appear on my TV (60 inch Plasma) as appearing only SD.

2. I checked on the second TV in my house connected on the same cable using the TWC supplied cable box, and the network is indeed coming in on that TV as HD (1080i).

3. I looked at how TIVO information page was identifying the signal for these stations. The ones that appeared to me as SD were indeed identified as SD, and 480i.

4. Recall that some of the stations I am receiving on this setup are coming in HD so I know the new Roamio system is capable of it with this setup. And these are identified as 1080i though some are 720p.

5. This new Roamio is replacing my older Series 3 HD with exact same cable input, HDMI connection, etc. I just removed the old box and replaced it with the Roamio Pro. (I did have to use the new power cord). THe old box had been receiving the HD channels appropriately.

6. I called Time Warner and they had never heard of this problem. All my services looked good from their end.

7. My next call is again to TIVO tech support to try to get some ideas. As I mentioned in the other post, the only thing they found "suspicious" in the diagnostics so far, is that I was seeing signal strengths of 99% and 100% with SNR's of 38 to 40.

8. Final data point: I installed the TIVO App on my iPad Retina for streaming from the Roamio and it appears consistent in image quality with what I report above.

ANY IDEAS WHAT CAN BE GOING ON AND WHAT ELSE I CAN DO?

Thanks again. I am at a loss here.

Larry
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I don't see in your last post where you have done specifically what I suggested in post #4 here. You talk about "networks" rather than channel numbers. A network can appear on several channel numbers, some of which will be SD and others HD.

Can you provide examples of specific channel numbers that come in as HD on your other set and SD on the Roamio?

and
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Did you call your cable company??
The reason I asked this is that sometimes, on my system, when I put in a new cablecard, I get HD channel errors for quite a while, until I get someone there to look at it and reauthorize and reset the card
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
lreinstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I don't see in your last post where you have done specifically what I suggested in post #4 here. You talk about "networks" rather than channel numbers. A network can appear on several channel numbers, some of which will be SD and others HD.

Can you provide examples of specific channel numbers that come in as HD on your other set and SD on the Roamio?

I thought by #1 answered it. I use the Cable (TWC) lineup which for example, tells me that the Comedy Central is 36 AND 113. This is normally HD broadcast but the TIVO Roamio shows it in SD (480i). Another example was the Golf Channel (broadcast on 51 AND 405) which also could only be seen in SD (480i).

Note that on my other TV with a standard cable box BOTH of these are seen in HD (1080i).

On the other hand, many other channels as I stated were showing in HD. I am not at my TV now, but I believe one example was TBS on channels 5 and 104.

Thanks

Larry
Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
lreinstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
The reason I asked this is that sometimes, on my system, when I put in a new cablecard, I get HD channel errors for quite a while, until I get someone there to look at it and reauthorize and reset the card

Hi,

Yes. I have literally spent hours on the phone speaking to different cable company Techs as well as Tivo Techs.

I finally did get the Cable-Card/Tivo office of TWC and someone who actually knew what he was doing. Before speaking to him I was only seeing 20 channels. But he properly paired my card and I did a guided setup afterwards. This finally gave me the correct lineup with proper number of channels.

HOWEVER, with the residual problem I am describing where MANY of them are showing in SD.

Larry
Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
shamilian

Does your system use a TA (Tuning Adapter) ?
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
lreinstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Does your system use a TA (Tuning Adapter) ?
Yes,

I have used the tuning adapter for years. why?
Old 10-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreinstein View Post
Yes,

I have used the tuning adapter for years. why?
TAs are the main problem that Tivos have with cable system. They allow the cable provider to re-arrange the channels dynamically so when you try to tune in a channel they tell the Tivo what frequency to tune into.

I guess I might check if your TA is up to date and working properly.

Have you tried to tune into one of the problem channels then check to see the DVR diag screen and compare the SDV results to other who have a properly working system.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
lreinstein

Solved!

OK,

So it turns out it was the Tuning Adapter!

After hours of being on hold, I finally got a knowledgeable Time Warner tech who was able to help. I do not understand what she did, but the TA needed rebooting and she had to adjust some levels of something and miraculously the HD was back on all channels!

She then talked me through diagnostics pages and said that now my numbers were good.

She was particularly interested in the FDC and RDC which she said was critical and needed to be in a range of I think -7 to +7.

Whatever. I am sure this makes sense to someone.

THanks

Larry
Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
dlfl
Cranky old novice

FDC (forward data channel) and RDC (reverse data channel) are the OOB (out of band) signal frequencies used for the TA and CableCARD to communicate control data, including channel maps and tuning requests, with the cable plant.

-7 to +7 dBm is a good range for FDC. RDC should be between 40 dBm and 50 dBm.

Yet another TWC/Tivo war story. Glad it ended well (this time). Unfortunately some of us (on TWC with TA) have continuing problems such as occasional tuning failures and having to power-cycle the TA and restart the Tivo every now and then when channels go missing. However, even TWC-provided DVR's have similar problems. Some happy day we will no longer need CableCARD or TA for digital cable.

and
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
lreinstein

Yes,... that will INDEED be a happy day.

On my former TIVO HD I had to reboot the TA approx every 5 weeks or so. what a pain.