TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
socrplyr

Return and Rebuy Roamio Pro

So I have had my Roamio Pro for 27 days. That means I have three days left to decide if I want to cancel my service and return the box to Best Buy. Then I would rebuy directly from TiVo for $100 off (current promotion on the Pro) and then reset everything up. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to do this?
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

What is your time worth?

Does BB not pricematch post sale anymore? I can never keep up with changes in policy.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What is your time worth?

Does BB not pricematch post sale anymore? I can never keep up with changes in policy.
Yeah, I agree it is what my time is "worth." I was just curious what other thought. That plus, I wanted to remind people of the deal...

That is a good idea, but TiVo's deal is phone only. I don't think BB will price match that, but I will try. It never hurts.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a couple hundred recordings on mine, just the time required to transfer them off and then transfer them back is not worth it.

Although in my case I bought from Weaknees so I got $45 off and no tax. TiVo would charge me about $38 in tax, so for me the difference is only $17
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
So I have had my Roamio Pro for 27 days. That means I have three days left to decide if I want to cancel my service and return the box to Best Buy. Then I would rebuy directly from TiVo for $100 off (current promotion on the Pro) and then reset everything up. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to do this?
That would not be an ethical move, imo. You would be stiffing Best Buy for no reason other than your own greed.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
That would not be an ethical move, imo. You would be stiffing Best Buy for no reason other than your own greed.
There is nothing unethical about doing that. Best Buy has a return policy and that is their terms. The fact that I chose to take advantage of it isn't unethical. What would have been unethical is if I purchased it and never intended to keep it. That was not my intent. However, I do agree that this would negatively impact Best Buy, so I will keep that in mind. I do intend to give them the option of price matching, but I doubt they will. (Which still doesn't mean I will return it.)
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't think $100 is going to break Best Buy's bank.

I agree it all depends on the OPs tolerance for the time and hassle involved.
I myself wouldn't do it, not for $100. Make it +$200 and I might start thinking about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

Are you sure you have 30 days to return. I know BB changed their return dates to reflect the level of customer you are in their rewards program. 15/30/60. I don't know how much you have to spend to attain the longer levels.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
supasta

Is this stealing?

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
MScottC

It may be legal, but it IS unethical... The Thirty Day (or whatever) return policy is to assure potential buyers that if the product doesn't suit their needs, they won't be out the purchase price. Their policy may not state that, it doesn't have to, but anyone with any common sense of morality would get that. You on the other hand, are using it to save a few bucks. That's not the intent of the plan. Now a Price Match policy that says, "If you find a better deal in 30 days (or whatever), we'll match it," is intended to assure the customer they are getting the best possible price. If you were to take the potential good deal from TiVo and bring that to your original vendor, that would be ethical.

IMHO
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
It may be legal, but it IS unethical... The Thirty Day (or whatever) return policy is to assure potential buyers that if the product doesn't suit their needs, they won't be out the purchase price. Their policy may not state that, it doesn't have to, but anyone with any common sense of morality would get that. You on the other hand, are using it to save a few bucks. That's not the intent of the plan. Now a Price Match policy that says, "If you find a better deal in 30 days (or whatever), we'll match it," is intended to assure the customer they are getting the best possible price. If you were to take the potential good deal from TiVo and bring that to your original vendor, that would be ethical.

IMHO
Best Buy never made any stipulation or suggestion that you couldn't return something due to price. The real purpose of their policy is to get you to leave the store with something, full well knowing that you aren't likely to return it. Even if a purchased product is only marginally useful, consumers tend not to return them. Also, once a product is sold most don't continue to monitor its price, so they wind up not paying a good price. That is why the return policy exists. Just to get you to walk out the door with the box.
There isn't an ethical issue here, especially if I give Best Buy the option to match TiVo's price first. Basically, they offer the return policy, so it can be used. Anytime someone uses it, Best Buy could be considered to lose a little money. That can't be used as justification that it was unethical. It is a cost of the policy. Now there are things that could be unethical. Things like purchasing a TV to watch the Superbowl and then returning after the game. Also, returning something that your actions caused to break (unless of course it was over cheaply made for its designed purpose...).

Your mention of their price matching policy is interesting. Their price match policy is actually intended to reduce the return rate (not give you a better deal). It is a stop gap with limitations. They limit where and how you can price match. So with all their stipulations if they choose not to match someone's that is on them, opening up the return option.

I have a question about "suit your needs" (which doesn't appear in BB's policy). What if I decide after purchasing an item that I cannot afford it, due to breaking my arm and having a giant ER bill. Is it OK to return then? What if it was $200 cheaper and I could afford it then? At what point do you draw the line?

Note all of this discussion is hypothetical. (I am not making any of these claims about myself.)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Are you sure you have 30 days to return. I know BB changed their return dates to reflect the level of customer you are in their rewards program. 15/30/60. I don't know how much you have to spend to attain the longer levels.
I happen to be in the reward program and have 45 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have a couple hundred recordings on mine, just the time required to transfer them off and then transfer them back is not worth it.

Although in my case I bought from Weaknees so I got $45 off and no tax. TiVo would charge me about $38 in tax, so for me the difference is only $17
This made me think about the "discounts" that I got. I got 5% extra cash back for a click-through link with my credit card, plus the BB reward points. That works out to be $45 total. So we are talking about $55 here now. That plus the hassle, I won't return it. I will keep an eye open for advertised price drops as my credit card offers price protection for 90 days. (I am not sure if it only applies to the purchase place or not, but I will watch.)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
prisk

Quote:
Where on Tivo's site are you seeing $100 off?
prisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
This made me think about the "discounts" that I got. I got 5% extra cash back for a click-through link with my credit card, plus the BB reward points. That works out to be $45 total. So we are talking about $55 here now. That plus the hassle, I won't return it. I will keep an eye open for advertised price drops as my credit card offers price protection for 90 days. (I am not sure if it only applies to the purchase place or not, but I will watch.)
They still might price match.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisk View Post
Where on Tivo's site are you seeing $100 off?
Nowhere. You have to call and ask for it to get that deal (might be for existing customers only).
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I work at BBY at night

1) Return policy is now 15 days. It has been since 3/5/2013 unless you are a rewards silver member
2) We only pricematch now at time of purchase unless it is a BestBuy price change, then you have 15 days.
3) You return too many things and the BBY computer will stop allowing returns for 90 days.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I work at BBY at night

1) Return policy is now 15 days. It has been since 3/5/2013 unless you are a rewards silver member
2) We only pricematch now at time of purchase unless it is a BestBuy price change, then you have 15 days.
3) You return too many things and the BBY computer will stop allowing returns for 90 days.
At least around here they have made some nice improvements. Seems to be much more customer focused. I've had some really good experiences in their the last couple of months.

It's too bad they actually they reduced the normal customer return time which was and will continue to be my number 1 complaint about Best Buy and will out weigh any other changes they make. And I don't know about now, but they also used to be totally inflexible. I had a couple of really bad experiences. I refused to even step foot in the stores for a long time.

The worst non-return experience was when Pearl Jam released their first batch on concert CDs. It was approximately 30 cds. I purchased one of each or so I thought. It was about 32 days after my purchase when I realized I had accidentally purchased two of the same show and missed another. I went into the store with my receipt and the unopened CD and the manager and corporate refused to allow me to exchange this for the one I wanted. Tell me that isn't not seeing the forest for the trees. Yeesh.

So personally I don't care what you do at Best Buy. Return for any reason you want. Take advantage of them. I don't think they state you can't return it if you find it for a lower price.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Just suck it up and keep the box. Your fraudulent returns just raise the prices and reduce the return abilities for everyone else.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Just suck it up and keep the box. Your fraudulent returns just raise the prices and reduce the return abilities for everyone else.
First of all he did say he was going to keep it.
Secondly how in the world would it be fraudulent to return it?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
At least around here they have made some nice improvements. Seems to be much more customer focused. I've had some really good experiences in their the last couple of months.

It's too bad they actually they reduced the normal customer return time which was and will continue to be my number 1 complaint about Best Buy and will out weigh any other changes they make. And I don't know about now, but they also used to be totally inflexible. I had a couple of really bad experiences. I refused to even step foot in the stores for a long time.

The worst non-return experience was when Pearl Jam released their first batch on concert CDs. It was approximately 30 cds. I purchased one of each or so I thought. It was about 32 days after my purchase when I realized I had accidentally purchased two of the same show and missed another. I went into the store with my receipt and the unopened CD and the manager and corporate refused to allow me to exchange this for the one I wanted. Tell me that isn't not seeing the forest for the trees. Yeesh.

So personally I don't care what you do at Best Buy. Return for any reason you want. Take advantage of them. I don't think they state you can't return it if you find it for a lower price.
I would have so told them "You see on this receipt where I bought 30 cds from you guys? Take a real good look, 'cause you'll never see another sale to me ever again."

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I would have so told them "You see on this receipt where I bought 30 cds from you guys? Take a real good look, 'cause you'll never see another sale to me ever again."
I did. They didn't care.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
vurbano

Quote:
perfectly ethical.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
atmuscarella

Quote:
Capitalism can be very unethical and it certainly can be driven by greed. The only way for capitalism to be ethical is for ethical people to demand Governments set ethical rules that force unethical people/companies to make ethical decisions because the ethical decision becomes the one that serves their self interests. Even then the results can still be pretty unethical just look at some of the decisions companies have made in the past - like Ford back in the 70's deciding it was cheaper to let some people die in Pinto fires instead of spending the money to make the car safer. Frankly the whole mess we ended up in 2007/2008 is because of people making unethical decisions because those decisions served their self interests, it is the way our whole system works.

The bottom line is people should always put their own self interest first when working with large companies because that is exactly what those large companies do.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 10-24-2013 at 11:24 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote