TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
2004raptor

HIMYM - Knight Vision 10/21/13

OK, I'll start it.

Wow that was bad. Not a laugh whatsoever. And I'm one of the ones that doesn't care about the mother. Wouldn't have cared if she were introduced in the last 30 seconds of the last show. I've been in it for the laughs but this episode was done...Poorly.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher

The only part that got a chuckle out of me was when the Knight was frantically waving 'no!'.

It is obvious this is an add-on season, and they are just filling space. It is frustrating.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
smak
TV MA SLV

You know one thing that can help an add-on season for a show in it's 9th season.

A new character.

WTF?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Ment

The Ghost Knight was the only funny part of the EP. I'm going to appropriate the 'He chose poorly' for my own use. After the 5-6th time of the dubbed voice for Lily, 30 second fwded to the next scene.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
mattack

I still enjoy the show.

My first reaction to the priest or whatever he is -- who is that guy, he does the voiceover for EVERYTHING. Then, after looking at the guest stars for the episode while I was in the middle of the episode --- WOW, Edward Hermann got really old!!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
TonyD79

He is 70.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
alpacaboy

I love Anna Camp so I'm good with this episode.

And I thought she had a funny delivery when she was mounting Ted and sobbing.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

I keep coming back to see how bad it getting, and like a train wreck I can't stop watching.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
I keep coming back to see how bad it getting, and like a train wreck I can't stop watching.
Whenever I get annoyed with the show, I like to remember how terrible some of season 9/10 of Friends was, with over the top caricatures, stupid guest stars, 'expanded' episodes. It helps me put in perspective how hard it is to do a long running sitcom. And then I can watch and simply enjoy those parts that are funny just by themselves, without comparing it to past events.

Anna Camp was great in this. Hot AND funny. Barney and Robin got called out for being horrible people. The Lily voiceover was funny, at least for a little while.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Anna Camp was great in this. Hot AND funny. Barney and Robin got called out for being horrible people. The Lily voiceover was funny, at least for a little while.
I may be in the minority, but I thought Camp was terrible. She looked like she was struggling to act upset.

Barney and Robin did get called out, but not in a way they were aware of. I empathize with Edward Hermann's character.

I did like switching Lilly's voice for Daphne; that was a very HIMYM joke, and it was funny. And I liked the idea of Marshall and Lilly playing Barney and Robin and vice versa in the flashbacks. I would have enjoyed a little more of that.

Having the whole season take place on the wedding weekend at the inn is really messing with time. Barney has changed suits three times now, and only a few hours of the first day have gone by.

Everything is still purple, but a bit less than in previous weeks.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Wow. Harsh words. I thought it was one of the better episodes of the season. I enjoyed Marshall trying out his talk, and I enjoyed a couple of other moments.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I may be in the minority, but I thought Camp was terrible. She looked like she was struggling to act upset.

Barney and Robin did get called out, but not in a way they were aware of. I empathize with Edward Hermann's character.

I did like switching Lilly's voice for Daphne; that was a very HIMYM joke, and it was funny. And I liked the idea of Marshall and Lilly playing Barney and Robin and vice versa in the flashbacks. I would have enjoyed a little more of that.

Having the whole season take place on the wedding weekend at the inn is really messing with time. Barney has changed suits three times now, and only a few hours of the first day have gone by.

Everything is still purple, but a bit less than in previous weeks.
Well, I did lead with Hot.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Too bad young Marshall wasn't eating a sandwich. That would have been a nice callback.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

For a season that started off with such promise the last few episodes were pretty bad. I did like the ghost knight. That was the best part. I'm not quite sure where I know Anna Camp (I guess that's the actress who played the sobber) but I thought she was trying too hard to hysterically crying. I even remarked to my wife that that cry sounded so fake.

Was Robin this much of a self absorbed jerk early in the series? She's really turned into that and I'm not liking it. She did look REALLY good in that white dress though.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I also liked the Knight. I also liked that Robin and Barney owned up to their messy history. It's not like them to be ashamed of that. It was a total sitcom cliche that this ended up killing Edward Hermann's character, though. The rest of the episode, with Ted constantly getting stuck with the blonde, was pretty lame.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Anna Camp was in True Blood. Plus a lot of other guest appearances.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
smak
TV MA SLV

She had multi episode arcs on Mad Men and The Good Wife.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
aindik

The laugh track when the reverend died was a little much.

I enjoyed Lilly's dubbed voice.

Did it seem to anyone else like the reverend's office was on the grounds of the Farhampton inn?

Anna Camp seemed to have trouble with comedic crying.

In addition to the other shows mentioned, she was on the first season of The Mindy Project. Yes, I watch that show. Say what you want, but this season it's been funnier than HIMYM this season.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm not quite sure where I know Anna Camp
In addition to Reverend Newlin's (ex)wife in True Blood and the other appearances mentioned here, she was Pam's maid of honor on The Office.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Anna Camp is one of those actresses where I immediately recognize her, but then have no idea where I know her from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
In addition to the other shows mentioned, she was on the first season of The Mindy Project. Yes, I watch that show. Say what you want, but this season it's been funnier than HIMYM this season.
The Mindy Project is one of the best comedies on TV right now.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
In addition to Reverend Newlin's (ex)wife in True Blood and the other appearances mentioned here, she was Pam's maid of honor on The Office.
She was also in a few episodes of Vegas last year.

I'm getting the feeling that the final scene in this show will be Saget saying "....and that's how I met your Mother".
And then the camera pans to the mother, who is standing in the hallway with a couple of suitcases, says, "and that's why I'm leaving. Because your father is such a ******".

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Didn't watch True Blood or The Office. I'll have to check back to see who she played on The Good Wife and Mad Men.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post

I'm getting the feeling that the final scene in this show will be Saget saying "....and that's how I met your Mother".
And then the camera pans to the mother, who is standing in the hallway with a couple of suitcases, says, "and that's why I'm leaving. Because your father is such a ******".
I pegged the ending as Sagat saying the same thing, but the kids give him a disgusted look and say, Dad, can we go NOW?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I pegged the ending as Sagat saying the same thing, but the kids give him a disgusted look and say, Dad, can we go NOW?
And/or they just close with that Comic Con video of the kids from this summer.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
MarkofT

Quote:

Except in the season premiere, as Lily explained all the irritating things Ted was doing on the road trip, the mother agreed with her but in the voice over, they revealed that she was just as bad ,if not worse, as Ted.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
TonyD79

Quote:
She was also in a few episodes of Vegas last year. I'm getting the feeling that the final scene in this show will be Saget saying "....and that's how I met your Mother". And then the camera pans to the mother, who is standing in the hallway with a couple of suitcases, says, "and that's why I'm leaving. Because your father is such a ******".
Nope. She's gonna come on camera asking if he is boring the kids again.

Then she starts her story. Spinoff. HIMYF
Old 10-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #27
Azlen

I'm growing weary of the whole wedding weekend thing. It already seems to be way too drawn out and it's still early in the season.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I'm growing weary of the whole wedding weekend thing. It already seems to be way too drawn out and it's still early in the season.
Same here, when I heard the season was going to be weeding weekend I groaned, and so far it's been as poor an idea as I had anticipated.

The lack of mother has been a huge failure after seeing her at the beginning of the season, she was great, and not using her is a sin.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Same here, when I heard the season was going to be weeding weekend I groaned, and so far it's been as poor an idea as I had anticipated. The lack of mother has been a huge failure after seeing her at the beginning of the season, she was great, and not using her is a sin.
Hmm.

Not much of the story is restricted because of the setting. Almost all of the story telling could have happened away from the wedding weekend, so don't put any blame on the wedding weekend theme. (Although as you were predisposed to not like it, it may make you more critical; we humans work that way.)

Some of the story telling has not been great. Some has been decent. Some has been very good.

This last episode was probably the weakest of the whole series but it is not because of the wedding weekend. It just wasn't up to standards. That happens with a long running series.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Except in the season premiere, as Lily explained all the irritating things Ted was doing on the road trip, the mother agreed with her but in the voice over, they revealed that she was just as bad ,if not worse, as Ted.
And that was Ted's side of the story, which may not exactly be the truth.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote