TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #9691
unitron

You know, Clear Program Information and To Do List is a suggested S03 cure (or at least it was 'til the guy's website went offline), I wonder if your provider reset might be a quicker way to fix it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #9692
sfhub

Not sure what the S03 problem entails, never seen it on my S3 OLED, is it a TiVoHD thing? If it is a guide issue, then I think there is a good chance reselecting the provider will address it.

When I did the provider reselection, it was sitting in "Preparing for download" for a long time, maybe 45minutes. I could hear the disk seeking a lot so I imagine it was probably removing a lot of old guide structures, and likely has the ability to repair/blow away guide data issues.

I also now realize what likely started the random reboots on my drive.

It was actually working fine for a few days after the recapping of the power supply.

I ended up watching some pretty old recordings. One of those shows rebooted consistently at the same spot so I deleted it. I believe that was the show that had the 64kb of bad sectors.

Now when I deleted the show, that disk location probably was scheduled to be freed up and available, but it didn't happen immediately. It got stuck in the recently deleted list.

Coincidentally 2 days later, I ran out of disk space on the unit as it recorded a marathon of shows I wasn't expecting. At that point I believe the space occupied by the show got freed up and started being used to buffer livetv.

My theory is whenever livetv hit those bad sectors the unit would reboot. The reboot could happen while you were doing anything, program guide, setup, diagnostics, season pass, etc. because it was livetv operating in the background. This correlates well with the 30-60 minute random reboot.

I believe *if* I had just left that bad show and never deleted it, I would still be happily chugging along oblivious to the hard drive issue (as long as I wasn't stupid enough to initiate a kickstart 57 like I did)

So the moral of the story is if you encounter a show that keeps rebooting in the same spot, it is probably best to just leave it alone (and put a big postit on the front saying do NOT run kickstart 57). It can probably last a long time even with the disk errors as long as that corrupt show is essentially "locking out" the bad sectors from further use. Of course, when you have time it is best to start initiating data migration to a new drive using dd_rescue, but best to do that on your own terms, rather than being forced to by random reboots or GSOD boot loop.

Last edited by sfhub : 09-12-2013 at 11:39 AM.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #9693
innocentfreak

Could someone please remind me...I have a TiVo HD that died. I thought it was the power supply, but it turned out to be the drive. I have a drive from another TiVo HD tht has never been used. I know I would lose recordings and need to run C&E if the drive had been used.

Since the drive hasn't been used do I still need to run C&E? I swapped it and it booted fin. System info correctly shows lifetime, but the TSN is all zeros. It is also running some old version 8 software so I am forcing calls to update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #9694
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Could someone please remind me...I have a TiVo HD that died. I thought it was the power supply, but it turned out to be the drive. I have a drive from another TiVo HD tht has never been used. I know I would lose recordings and need to run C&E if the drive had been used.

Since the drive hasn't been used do I still need to run C&E? I swapped it and it booted fin. System info correctly shows lifetime, but the TSN is all zeros. It is also running some old version 8 software so I am forcing calls to update.
Yes, you need to do C&DE to set the TSN as well.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #9695
innocentfreak

Thanks. It has been forever since I upgraded and opulent bother but my sister wants to use it.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #9696
ElPuerco

Just adding a data point since I don't see the drive model listed when I search the forums.

I upgraded my TiVo HD with a Western Digital Blue 1TB drive (WD10EZEX) about 3 weeks ago when my original drive started acting up. Everything went smoothly with the upgrade, and the TiVo has been working just fine ever since.

I think I read elsewhere that "desktop" drives aren't recommended in TiVo's, so I may have problems on down the road. I found a good deal on the drive so I thought I would go for it. Plus, I had alot of urgency because my original drive was quickly dying.

Just wanted to share in case someone else is looking at that same drive.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #9697
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPuerco View Post
I think I read elsewhere that "desktop" drives aren't recommended in TiVo's
That's totally a myth. In fact, using anything BUT desktop drives is a waste of money. Get the BIGGEST (as per the limits of the hacking tools currently), SLOWEST drive possible to save money.. Tivos can't use all the speed the drives already have..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #9698
TEDALLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Yeah, it's been confirmed that you can use a 2TB in any S3, the 648, the 652, the 658, and WinMFS will do the job (but you have to do the expand as a separate step instead of accepting the offer at the end of the copy/restore, for some reason), no need for jmfs, provided you're installing an image that's updated at least to 11.0k (which has been around for a few years now, so it's rare not to have it), or provided you do not expand until letting it phone home and update to k (or maybe straight to m).

jmfs still needed for S4s, though, if you want to copy and expand.
Unitron, I need to ask a S3 & S2 upgrade question and can you PM me if possible.
TEDALLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #9699
donnaj12

Hi
Is there any way to connect two Western My Book AVs together to use with one TiVo premier?
Thanks
donnaj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #9700
mattack

No. You can use only one.. Even though it's not supported, upgrading the internal drive is really the safest, generally, since you're not depending on TWO drives completely working.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #9701
bigd2008
Warranty Void :)

Hey guys - I have 1TB My DVR Expander for my TivoHD that I have never used. I found that expanding the internal drive was enough recording room for me. Recently, I've been in need of an external NTFS storage drive and have avoided formatting the DVR Expander. My question is if I format it to NTFS and ever decide to use it as an External Tivo drive, am I able to do so? Will my TivoHD take care of formatting, etc? Or is it toast after formatted NTFS?
bigd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #9702
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd2008 View Post
Hey guys - I have 1TB My DVR Expander for my TivoHD that I have never used. I found that expanding the internal drive was enough recording room for me. Recently, I've been in need of an external NTFS storage drive and have avoided formatting the DVR Expander. My question is if I format it to NTFS and ever decide to use it as an External Tivo drive, am I able to do so? Will my TivoHD take care of formatting, etc? Or is it toast after formatted NTFS?
Tivo does not use NTFS, that is a windows environment mostly.

~~~~~

Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #9703
unitron

Quote:
If it's the actual "made to be used with a TiVo" WD eSATA external (where the drive inside is on the short list of bare drive model numbers other than which everything newer than the original S3 won't accept), then I seem to recall reading that it comes unformatted and the TiVo slaps its version of the Apple Partition Map on it, so it would probably just overwrite the MBR used in the IBM/MS world without ever seeing it.

Of course you could hook it to a PC and boot with something like the MFS Live cd v1.4 or the UBCD and use

dd

or

dd_rescue

to copy from

/dev/zero

to the first few thousand bytes of the drive and it'll look blank to TiVos and Macs and PCs and everything else that's not a specific data recovery program.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #9704
bigd2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Tivo does not use NTFS, that is a windows environment mostly.
A windows environment is where I want to repurpose this drive, but my question was more about if can I revert back should I ever decide to.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #9705
bigd2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it's the actual "made to be used with a TiVo" WD eSATA external (where the drive inside is on the short list of bare drive model numbers other than which everything newer than the original S3 won't accept), then I seem to recall reading that it comes unformatted and the TiVo slaps its version of the Apple Partition Map on it, so it would probably just overwrite the MBR used in the IBM/MS world without ever seeing it.
Thanks for the info. It is a TiVo certified drive made for specifically for the TiVoHD and Series3. I've had this thing since I got the DVR, but never opened the box until about two months ago. I seem to remember connecting it to a Linux machine and fdisk -l showed several partitions. Other than doing that, I haven't used the drive.

I would probably never revert back, but I'd at least like to know I could if I wanted to. I wonder if anyone has actually done this?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #9706
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the info. It is a TiVo certified drive made for specifically for the TiVoHD and Series3. I've had this thing since I got the DVR, but never opened the box until about two months ago. I seem to remember connecting it to a Linux machine and fdisk -l showed several partitions. Other than doing that, I haven't used the drive.

I would probably never revert back, but I'd at least like to know I could if I wanted to. I wonder if anyone has actually done this?
If it had FAT32 or NT partitions, those would show up with

fdisk -l

as well as the partitions on the PC's actual drive, which may be what you saw.

pdisk -l

if that command were available to you, would show Apple Partition Map partitions such as are found on TiVo drives.

The MFS Live cd v1.4, the .iso for which that you can use to burn your own copy is available for free at mfslive.org, has the

pdisk

command and some other useful stuff, like the aforementioned

dd

and

dd_rescue

As long as your PC has an eSATA port I don't see why you can't use it as an NT drive now, and zero out the MBR and hook it to a Tivo later.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #9707
keysman

Hello Community!

Is the information in the first post of this thread still accurate?

I have a Series 3, OLED, thermometer or whatever you wish to call it model TiVo. It's a TCD648250B. The hard drive has died, it won't spin up so I can't create a backup of the system. I want to replace the internal drive with a new one. I'm also thinking about buying a new Roamio after the holidays.

Can I purchase a 2Tb drive now, install it in my S3 and then move it to the Roamio later? I have no plans to retain anything that's on the S3 drive when moving it to the Roamio. In other words, I know I'll loose all the data and recordings on the drive when I move it to the Roamio.

The first post in this thread states that the max size for 1 internal drive in an S3 is 1.35TB. Is that still accurate. I haven't upgraded a TiVo drive since my old Phillips HDR112. I'm thinking about buying a 2TB drive with the idea of moving it to the Roamio Plus. I really don't mind loosing the additional space after formatting the drive for the S3. The S3 is only temporary at this point. Are there newer tools to configure a larger capacity drive for the S3? Would a 1TB drive purchase make the process of getting the S3 back up and running easier?

Finally, is there a recommended drive model that will work in both the S3 and Romaio or again would it just be easier for me if I purcahsed a 1TB drive for the S3 and deal with a Roamio upgrade later.

Thanks.
keysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #9708
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysman View Post
Hello Community!

I have a Series 3, OLED, thermometer or whatever you wish to call it model TiVo. It's a TCD648250B. The hard drive has died, it won't spin up so I can't create a backup of the system. I want to replace the internal drive with a new one. I'm also thinking about buying a new Roamio after the holidays.

Can I purchase a 2Tb drive now, install it in my S3 and then move it to the Roamio later? I have no plans to retain anything that's on the S3 drive when moving it to the Roamio. In other words, I know I'll loose all the data and recordings on the drive when I move it to the Roamio.

The first post in this thread states that the max size for 1 internal drive in an S3 is 1.35TB. Is that still accurate. I haven't upgraded a TiVo drive since my old Phillips HDR112. I'm thinking about buying a 2TB drive with the idea of moving it to the Roamio Plus. I really don't mind loosing the additional space after formatting the drive for the S3. The S3 is only temporary at this point. Are there newer tools to configure a larger capacity drive for the S3? Would a 1TB drive purchase make the process of getting the S3 back up and running easier?

Finally, is there a recommended drive model that will work in both the S3 and Romaio or again would it just be easier for me if I purcahsed a 1TB drive for the S3 and deal with a Roamio upgrade later.

Thanks.
You can use a max. 2TB drive in your original S3 by using WINMFS. I just did that myself and it is working fine. When you move it to the Roamio everything is erased and starts from scratch. I believe that you can get an image for your S3 by doing a search in this or the hard drive forum for S3s.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #9709
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Hello Community!

Thanks.
You might consider the 1TB drive and a 3TB later for your Roamio, especially if your S3 has lifetime--it'll have better resale value with a working drive.

And if the S3 does not have lifetime, you can get a 3TB drive now and <i>I THINK</i> it will work, it just will not use all the space. Then later you get 460 hours HD in your Roamio vs. the 350 or whatever. Also, for the Roamio, you definitely want lifetime. It more than pays for itself especially when you consider the resale value down the road.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #9710
unitron

Quote:
Hello Community!

Thanks.
First pull the drive you have now and hook it to a PC and see if it shows up in BIOS, and then run the manufacturer's long test on it.

If it's the original 250 GB WD, it probably is bad to a greater or lesser extent, but let's be sure that the drive and only the drive is the problem.

And, as I indicated in the image thread, check the power supply caps while you've got it open.

As for a new drive, find an under $100 dollar deal on a WD20EURS somewhere and use WinMFS to expand into all of it, but do the expansion as a separate step from any copying or restoring after turning down the post-copy or post-restore offer to expand.

When the time comes you should be able to slip it into a Series 5 and have it write its own image right to it (unlike the previous S4s, S3s, S2s, and S1s), overwriting everything on it, but by that time you'll probably want to leave the 2TB in the S3 and get a 3 or maybe 4 TB drive for the S5, since they can use bigger than 2TB drives, and 3TBs will probably be as cheap down the road as 2TB drives are now (and 2TB drives will probably be harder to find then also)

Also, if that S3 is lifetimed, you'll need a drive in it to sell it, and apparently that ain't gonna be the original 250.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #9711
keysman

Thanks again Unitron for your very detailed response. Thanks to everyone else for your responses as well.

I pulled the drive from the TiVo already, connected it to my PC with the WD DOS diagnostic CD. BIOS doesn't see the drive, so of course the CD doesn't see it either. Before it went down for the count I heard the drive making the dreaded clicking sound.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #9712
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
You might consider the 1TB drive and a 3TB later for your Roamio, especially if your S3 has lifetime--it'll have better resale value with a working drive.

And if the S3 does not have lifetime, you can get a 3TB drive now and <i>I THINK</i> it will work, it just will not use all the space. Then later you get 460 hours HD in your Roamio vs. the 350 or whatever. Also, for the Roamio, you definitely want lifetime. It more than pays for itself especially when you consider the resale value down the road.
I'm not sure the S3 can use a 3TB drive at all, even if you limit the formatted portion to 2.2TB.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #9713
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm not sure the S3 can use a 3TB drive at all, even if you limit the formatted portion to 2.2TB.
Someone around here who knows enough to know what they're talking about mentioned the other day that even if you limit the partitioned space to 2TB or under an S3 will just refuse to boot if the drive's bigger than 2TB--he had tried a 2.5

If I had a PC that could use anything bigger than a 2 I'd get a 3 and use

hdparm

and switches I won't mention publicly to set it to report an LBA number = or < what a 2 reports and see if they could be fooled that way.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #9714
keysman

I have a new Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 drive sitting on my shelf. I know it's not an ideal drive and I know there were firmware issues with that drive but could I use it in the TiVo? It's a ST310500341AS. It has the CC1H firmware on it so I think it's good on that front. I know it will run hotter and louder but it's just sitting on a shelf looking for a home.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #9715
unitron

Quote:
I have a new Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 drive sitting on my shelf. I know it's not an ideal drive and I know there were firmware issues with that drive but could I use it in the TiVo? It's a ST310500341AS. It has the CC1H firmware on it so I think it's good on that front. I know it will run hotter and louder but it's just sitting on a shelf looking for a home.
Google turns up almost no hits for that model number, it seems to be an Asian and Australian market only model.

But you could probably use it in an S3, just be sure you've got plenty of airflow into the TiVo chassis, maybe put some taller rubber feet on the bottom to create more airspace underneath.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #9716
ggieseke

The "AS" drives are pretty rare. They were specifically rated for RAID systems and right on the edge of enterprise class drives. They also cost about 30% more.

I have three of the 2TB version in my PC and I love them. They're quiet and don't seem to run any hotter than the WD Green drives next to them.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #9717
keysman

I fat fingered that, it's an ST31500341AS.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #9718
keysman

I was able to get my original TiVo drive running long enough to make a truncated backup with WinMFS. Yeah!

If I'm able to get the drive spinning again and keep it spinning long enough to back up the whole thing, can I do that with the MFS Live CD, backup the drive and expand it all in one step using this command?

backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdb

or whatever my drive assignments are.

Will I get to a full 1.5TB using that method.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #9719
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

WinMFS will work to backup, restore and expand. No excess typing needed either.

~~~~~

Old 11-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #9720
unitron

Quote:
I was able to get my original TiVo drive running long enough to make a truncated backup with WinMFS. Yeah!

If I'm able to get the drive spinning again and keep it spinning long enough to back up the whole thing, can I do that with the MFS Live CD, backup the drive and expand it all in one step using this command?

backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdb

or whatever my drive assignments are.

Will I get to a full 1.5TB using that method.
Apparently the original 250GB WD drives in 648s are dropping like flies right about now.

I would suggest

backup -Tao - /dev/sda | restore -s xxx -pi - /dev/sdb

where xxx is the swap size you want to use.

I think if you don't include the

-s

switch (or option*), then it'll just go ahead and make it 128(MB) like the source drive, but using it and specifying 128 won't hurt anything--just don't go lower.

[*a

-

(a hyphen) in these circumstances, following a command (like

backup

which is a command to run the backup program), and which is followed immediately by another character, usually a letter, denotes that the next thing to follow is an option that you've decided to invoke.]

You notice I left the

-q

out of the first part and the

-xz

out of the second.

Instead of the

-v

for verbose that lots of Linux/Unix command line utilities seem to use,

verbose is the default, and

-q

is used to override that and achieve "quiet" mode.

Me, I want to see what's going on as I sit there nervously fearing disaster.

The

Ta

part is the

-T

and the

-a

switches invoked together and since they don't need to be followed by a value, like swap size, they can share that hyphen.

(I forget exactly what T and a stand for, but the combination make sure everything gets copied, including all recordings and settings)

Also sharing that hyphen is the

o

which stands for "output" and the thing that follows it is supposed to be where the output of the backup command is supposed to go.

In this case the hyphen that follows the "o" indicates that it's supposed to go to something called "stdout" or something like that, which is short for standard output, I think, and is sort of a holding place in memory.

One the other side of the thing

|

that's going to "pipe" backup's output out of sdtout to the restore command by way of STDIN you'll see I left off

-xz

or zx or whatever.

-x

is the "expand after you finish copying option for restore, and I've seen it fail too many times.

Do the copy, check the target with

pdisk -l /dev/sdb

and see if you don't have an Apple Partition Map with a big Apple Free partition at the end (that's what the APM labels an unpartitioned space--it turns it into a partition that can't be used for anything until it gets turned into some other kind of partition)

Then

mfsinfo /dev/sdb

to make sure it reports everything's okey-dokey with the target drive.

Then mfsadd /dev/sdb will do the actual expansion.

-z

"zeroes out" the alternate boot partitions, but I don't see what that accomplishes and if you don't include it, it can't screw anything up.

-p

causes restore to use the "optimized" partition layout that they introduced on the S2s.

Always use it with an S2 or S3, do not use it with an S1, and doing it wrong won't come back to bite you months later, because it'll be the way it's supposed to be.

and

-i

followed by a space and a hyphen tells restore to use STDIN as its input--if it had been -i space some file name or something else, it would use that instead.

-r

is no longer considered necessary, and if you don't fully understand why it came into being in the first place you'll probably have as much chance of choosing the wrong value to follow as the right one.

The reason the original, which I assume you copied from somewhere, didn't go

-srxzpi

is that

-s

needs a value to follow it before anything else comes along so that it's known that that value is intended to be used with -s, and the same thing for

-r

but x, z, and p are just "use this option", as opposed to "don't use it because you haven't been specifically told to use it", and

-i

is at the end of that string so a space and a hyphen following tell the command what to do with

-i

which you should have figured out by now means "input", just like "o", on the other side of the pipe, meant output.

All that said, it would be easier to use WinMFS to do it, provided you turn down its offer to expand and then do the expansion as a separate step using WinMFS's mfsadd command.

So why all the detail for a method I'm recommending you not bother with?

So that some future searcher will learn the easy way what I learned the hard way.

Last edited by unitron : 11-09-2013 at 04:29 AM.