TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #91
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
There was a mention on DavidZatz website http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-10/...update-cometh/ about the Roamio UI being rolled out to MSO (RCN in particular) Premieres via a twitter post https://twitter.com/jnealis/status/380175886223671296 but makes no specific mention (only speculation) and there has been no confirmation (or even vague mention) from Margret that it will be rolled out to retail Premieres as well. If TiVo does allow the Roamio UI on Premieres, that would surprise and please me, since according to the Roamio FAQ it's never gonna happen.
Q: A new UI look and feel has been introduced on TiVo Roamio. Will a TiVo Premiere have access to this new look? Can I download it to a previous TiVo box?

A: No, the new look and feel is only available on the TiVo Roamio platform and will not be downloadable to any previous TiVo DVRs. The UI looks slightly different but the functionality and menus are exactly the same.
I was referring to the new UI on the Mini, not the Premiere.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #92
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Are you sure you are someone else in your house didn't create a manual recording by time and channel? That is what it looks like based on the recording name. Of course it could be some type of bug but I have never seen such a bug.
Yes, I'm sure. My husband actually changed it for me this time and I was watching. He went into the recording either through the guide or todo list, I can't remember how he got there, but I saw him set the stop recording time to 1 hour longer.

We never record anything by time and channel. I couldn't even tell you how to get to the menu screen for that.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #93
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I was referring to the new UI on the Mini, not the Premiere.
Oh. I think it still is affected though.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #94
uw69

Out of home streaming would sure be nice, I could use it right now!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #95
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
It's got nothing to do with being a fanboy. Swerver, and you, got your panties in a twist because TiVo decided to make it better but didn't implement what you wanted the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
This isn't what swerver did. He was rude.
Someone has to offset the juvenile whining.
/end
Here's what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Aww I liked the mini timeout functioning as an auto sleep function since I use it on my bedroom tv. So now tivo has responded to the squeaky wheels on that issue, but it's introduced a new problem for others... why not just make it configurable?

That said I do appreciate the info about the update.
Where's the rude part? All I did was express my dissatisfaction, in much the same way that a chorus of users did about the timeout being too short (actually there were many comments much harsher than mine in that thread), and now the feature has been changed because of them doing that. What's the problem again? I love tivo but they are not above criticism. But thanks for your insightful comments.
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #96
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I was watching a Netflix TV series and I was into year 5 E3, when I signed in I was back to year 1 E1, it was easy to get back to year 5 E3 but it was extra steps. Does every update force you to sign back into Netflix ??
It seemed to remember my places when I signed back in. That said, I didn't dive deep bc I prefer the UI on the PS3 and use it for most of my streaming services.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #97
mrbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Football sometimes runs late so I have gotten into the habit of padding The Good Wife out for an extra hour just in case.

Tonight, I got two recordings. One with the title "The Good Wife" that started on time and ran for the original 1 hour that the show would normally be on. The second recording had the title "REC: 504 WBZDT 9:30pm" and ran for two hours. Usually when we pad a recording, there is only one recording and it is for the amount of tie you would expect.

This extra recording with an odd name is new behavior. I suspect it's a new bug introduced by the fix for the back-to-back recording issue.
The exact same thing happened to me. It must be a new bug.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #98
BigJimOutlaw

One thing we still haven't seen is the "3-column filter" for My Shows they talked about at Roamio's launch. Guess that's been pushed back.

If it's anything like What to Watch Now, then I'm not gonna be impressed. I'd greatly prefer Profiles.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #99
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
It seemed to remember my places when I signed back in. That said, I didn't dive deep bc I prefer the UI on the PS3 and use it for most of my streaming services.
Netflix has always remembered my place until this last Roamio update, when I had to sign back into Netflix, it had my correct view list but did not know what I had watched last so it was starting from the beginning Y1 E1, I was at year 5 E4, it is working OK now.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #100
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
One thing we still haven't seen is the "3-column filter" for My Shows they talked about at Roamio's launch. Guess that's been pushed back.

If it's anything like What to Watch Now, then I'm not gonna be impressed. I'd greatly prefer Profiles.
Great point. That might be the "goodie" Margret is referring too.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #101
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkevinli View Post
This section of the forums is for the Roamio not the Premiere.
You noticed that too huh?
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #102
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
This update does have some additional hidden goodness for Roamio, but I'm not ready to talk about that yet.
Oooohhhh, This makes so much more sense now!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #103
jcthorne

Speaking of goodies from Tivo, anyone heard anything about a consolidated now playing list recently? They said it was in the works, would sure be a nice upgrade.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #104
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Speaking of goodies from Tivo, anyone heard anything about a consolidated now playing list recently? They said it was in the works, would sure be a nice upgrade.
The My Shows list is already unwieldy with a 3TB drive. I wouldn't want it consolidated with another TiVo.

I will be glad if/when they implement profiles. It would make the management of the My Shows list so much easier.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #105
jrtroo
User

Quote:
I don't remember this and the new Roamio seems to make that irrelevant. Do you have a reference?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #106
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you mean consolidating Now Playing from multiple TiVos? If so I've never heard anyone say that was in the works and I seriously doubt it's ever going to happen.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #107
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Anyone else having MRV issues since the update? I can see the other Roamio and delete shows, but not stream
Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #108
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The My Shows list is already unwieldy with a 3TB drive. I wouldn't want it consolidated with another TiVo.
Tell me about it. What we need are *CUSTOM FOLDERS*
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #109
Philmatic

Quote:
The concept of a single Roamio "hub" with multiple Mini's make this much less appealing to the 95% of people who will only have one TiVo with a tuner in their household. If I was TiVo, I wouldn't waste precious development hours on that, aaronwt is not their target audience.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #110
DarcyM

I would love to see co-operative recording where one unit is a "master" and then you have one or two as "slaves". The core tech is already there in the network remote control function, just the needed code to schedule each unit and I honest don't think it would be hard for them to code that up. Can you imagine having 12 or 18 tuners avail and making it easy to manage from one interface.
DarcyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #111
Dan203
Super Moderator

We've talked about that before. There is a lot more to it then meets the eye. For example what happens if the network goes down? The master has no way to know if the slave TiVos are completely offline or if they simply lost their network connection but are still available to record. Or what if someone cancels a recording directly on one of the slave units, does it cease to record or does it get pushed off to another unit based on priority? There are a bunch of other small complications like this that could arise. Cooperative scheduling is something that seems simple in theory, but is much more complicated when you start to account for all the real world scenarios that could arise.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #112
DarcyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We've talked about that before. There is a lot more to it then meets the eye. For example what happens if the network goes down? The master has no way to know if the slave TiVos are completely offline or if they simply lost their network connection but are still available to record. Or what if someone cancels a recording directly on one of the slave units, does it cease to record or does it get pushed off to another unit based on priority? There are a bunch of other small complications like this that could arise. Cooperative scheduling is something that seems simple in theory, but is much more complicated when you start to account for all the real world scenarios that could arise.
Your making it harder then it needs to be. The slaves could have a to-do list scheduled ahead of time, if the network goes down it shouldn't stop it from recording what it had in it's schedule. If someone cancels a recording it can prompt to ether cancel completely or try to reschedule it on another slave or master unit. If a slave is unreachable for a certain amount of time, the master could drop it off from being active and reschedule programs based on priority in the master to-do list. If the slave becomes active and checks in it can then respond to what the slave has recorded or not, or whats still scheduled on it to record. I guess since I have had experience in doing some multi-node computer programming in my younger days it just seems easier in my mind to do then it would for most.
DarcyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #113
rainwater

With TiVo focusing on the Roamio and Mini setup, cooperative scheduling is not going to be on their radar. It would not make any sense for it to be. It's a waste of time to discuss especially in this thread.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #114
moyekj

Co-op scheduling is DOA now with 6 tuner units available with tunerless clients (Minis).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #115
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
Your making it harder then it needs to be. The slaves could have a to-do list scheduled ahead of time, if the network goes down it shouldn't stop it from recording what it had in it's schedule. If someone cancels a recording it can prompt to ether cancel completely or try to reschedule it on another slave or master unit. If a slave is unreachable for a certain amount of time, the master could drop it off from being active and reschedule programs based on priority in the master to-do list. If the slave becomes active and checks in it can then respond to what the slave has recorded or not, or whats still scheduled on it to record. I guess since I have had experience in doing some multi-node computer programming in my younger days it just seems easier in my mind to do then it would for most.
But if they did it that way and the slave actually went down, as in could not record, then you may miss a higher priority recording. For example say you have three 2 tuner TiVos. Now say the master schedules recordings for shows priority 1 & 2, then the slaves get recordings 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 respectively. Now say a few hours before the recordings the TiVo with 3 & 4 drops off the network. What does the master do? Does it assume it's off line and move those recordings to the other slave, canceling 5 & 6? Or does it leave it as is and potentially miss 3 & 4 completely?

The schedule is dynamic, based both on priority and potential changes to data, having to rely on networked tuners for recordings presents all sorts of potential challenges. If you have a wired network and UPSes for all your TiVos it would probably work fine, but they have to consider all possible scenarios.

And with TiVos now coming with 6 tuners they really have no incentive to deal with those challenges.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #116
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Anyone else having MRV issues since the update? I can see the other Roamio and delete shows, but not stream
I just checked when I saw this and it seems I was getting a V112 error streaming from the Plus to the Pro. It worked from the Pro to the Plus however. By the time I could get back to the Pro it's working again. Seems intermittent and I cannot reproduce. When I had the issue on the Pro it worked fine streaming from the Elite.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #117
Devx

Did anyone else notice with this update that the System info screen is now reporting battery level of the standard RF remote?
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #118
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Did anyone else notice with this update that the System info screen is now reporting battery level of the standard RF remote?
Yep.
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #119
c3
TiVoholic

Had my first freeze in less than 5 days of operation. No video, no response to remote and front panel buttons. Had to power cycle it. Recordings on all 6 tuners stopped at the same time when nobody was home.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #120
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Tell me about it. What we need are CUSTOM FOLDERS
I completely disagree and feel it would just cause TiVo to screw things up They are barely keeping things together, lets not add any unnecessary features into the mix that could turn the Roamio into another Premiere fiasco both performance wise and updatability wise. Let's not forget we're still waiting for them to complete the HD menus, and from what I've gathered they're trying to make both the Premiere and Roamio have the same UI, so that would mean the Premiere would have to get the same folder feature.

Last edited by JWhites : 10-24-2013 at 07:29 AM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote