TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

The Biggest Loser Season 15 Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

Any thoughts? Looks like it could be a pretty good season.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I wish Tivo could ignore a person, Jillian would be on ignore. I liked how she said she would not be using the save and then uses it the first episode. Way to stick to your guns!
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

The save just seems like a somewhat impossible decision. Not using it on somebody is a surefire way to say they're not worthy enough to keep fighting for and hinder any progress they may have at home, at least this early in the game. I think she was right to use it and get that stressor off her plate.

So far this batch of contestants seems pretty good. It will be interesting to see how it goes after a few weeks to see if any stand out as people I want to root for or against.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Im really surprised she used her save after last season. She was down to just Danni for about half the season and yes, Danni won but still.. you'd think it would be something you'd want in your back pocket for later on down the road.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I also think she realized she's got a big guy who didn't lose much on the first week so she'll try to make sure he has a big week 2 when everybody else starts to level off and they win.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I'm loving the 1 hour episodes, they've removed most of the BS and product placement!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I hate the entire concept of a "save" on reality shows- if someone is eliminated within the rules of the show they should stay eliminated. To save one can be viewed as insulting to those that were safe because of how well they did. Plus as time goes on the "will they/won't they" aspect can even begin to overwhelm the real competition we are there to watch.

That said, if the show runners insist on incorporating a save into the rules of the show then I would use the damn thing at the very first opportunity just to get it over and done with. In that respect well done Jillian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
The save just seems like a somewhat impossible decision. Not using it on somebody is a surefire way to say they're not worthy enough to keep fighting for and hinder any progress they may have at home, at least this early in the game. I think she was right to use it and get that stressor off her plate.
I am so much in agreement with you here- in a show like this where self esteem is such a big part of many of the contestants issues, not being saved could be devastating. TV drama be damned- these are people putting themselves out there to be judged by the world- something I could never do. To think that their feelings would be pushed aside for drama makes me feel ill.
And I know that goes for all reality shows, but IMO some of these people are in a very vulnerable place here and I do not want needless feelings of unworthiness cast upon them.

Shame on the producers for not thinking this through and coming to my conclusion
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I'm loving the 1 hour episodes, they've removed most of the BS and product placement!!
If you watch the early seasons (they're on Netflix and the like), they were originally an hour long. I like the one-hour format.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
If you watch the early seasons (they're on Netflix and the like), they were originally an hour long. I like the one-hour format.

Greg
Yes I did, I hated when they went to 2 hours.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
That said, if the show runners insist on incorporating a save into the rules of the show then I would use the damn thing at the very first opportunity just to get it over and done with. In that respect well done Jillian.
I don't think that's why she used it. If so she should have said it upfront instead of telling her team she would not use the save. The only thing she tried to save was face because her team lost again. No respect for that from me.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Yes I did, I hated when they went to 2 hours.
You know, when they first went to 2 hours it was ok, they had more workout footage. But then they built up fake drama & extended the weigh-ins, which made it EXTREMELY tedious. One hour is a good move.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
MLR930
Gamer Goddess

My Tivo cuts off right after they are eliminated, are they not showing updates on them right after anymore?

Herbalife Distributor and Wellness Coach
MLR930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR930 View Post
My Tivo cuts off right after they are eliminated, are they not showing updates on them right after anymore?
They simply said we'd see her next week.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
They simply said we'd see her next week.
Yep.. like in the first 5 minutes.

I say this every season but I really wish this version was similar to the AU version although the AU version cut back to 30 minutes and episode last season and it was much shorter. Normally there are 70+ episodes and I think last season it was only 40something. The trainers are better, the challenges are better, its just a cooler show. Even the host is better.. they have Hayley Mills who I guess is some big deal swimmer in Australia.

Glad the show is back tho.. hate NBC is gone from Dish.. I have to watch in on Hulu the next day. So far Im enjoying this season and they seem to have a good bunch of contestants.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

So Jillian has to resort to cheating. Nice!! Try to justify it all you want but you broke the rules.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

That was really surprising. And really sucks to be on the White team because they probably had no idea what was going on and just did what Jillian asked them to do because they'd get yelled at if they didn't. And then they get penalized for it.

It makes me wonder though if they all drink a lot of coffee or something that Jillian tried to get them off of it for calorie reasons and just to take the caffeine pills instead.

I was really wondering why at the start of the episode we didn't get to see how Ruban looked. I guess this answered it since he's returning. Talk about a season of second chances...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

A cup of black coffee is 2 calories. I would think if you drank tons of coffee you'd spend a lot of time peeing. Isn't caffeine an appetite suppressant, I think that's why she was giving the pills.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I think the whole kerfluffle was cooked up purely to get Reuben back.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
nyc13

Quote:
She pretty much confirms that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jillian.jpg (28.1 KB, 204 views)
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I tend not to believe people that just got caught cheating. She thinks she's a doctor but she's not. The bottom line is she should have had them cleared by the doctors.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
nyc13

I'm struggling to understand the "cheating" angle, though. If it's true that they're allowed coffee (or tea) whenever they want, then what possible unfair advantage is there to allowing other forms of caffeine?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc13 View Post
I'm struggling to understand the "cheating" angle, though. If it's true that they're allowed coffee (or tea) whenever they want, then what possible unfair advantage is there to allowing other forms of caffeine?
Caffeine can suppress your appetite and boost your metabolism, it also warns to consult your doctor if you have vulnerabilities which I imagine obese people under doctors care fall into that category.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...t-caffeine.htm
Old 11-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
nyc13

Quote:
Caffeine can suppress your appetite and boost your metabolism, it also warns to consult your doctor if you have vulnerabilities which I imagine obese people under doctors care fall into that category.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...t-caffeine.htm
That's an argument against caffeine without doctor approval, not about a specific delivery method of caffeine. And they've all had extensive physical evaluation already.

It can also help in endurance (both by lowering perceived exertion and by sparing glycogen) -- two very good positive reasons I suspect for its use on the show. I'm an endurance runner and use it routinely (in the form of coffee) before key workouts and races.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
She pretty much confirms that.
That was my thought on it, too, though I thought it was kind of raw to make a villain out of Jillian to do it.

When Ruben left last week, I thought "Well, there goes their ratings booster". As the controversy played out, I couldn't help but think it was just an orchestration to get him back on the show.

And if I'm not mistaken, the White team would have lost the weigh in without all of that taken into account anyway.

Made for some pretty impressive losses, though, jumping back to the previous week for their base weight!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #25
tcristy

Correct, White would have lost anyway. Since the contestants are actually weighed earlier in the day by the medical staff and not at the "weigh-in" we see, the producers knew going in they could "penalize" the white team without actually changing the results of the weigh-in.
tcristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #26
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
That's an argument against caffeine without doctor approval, not about a specific delivery method of caffeine. And they've all had extensive physical evaluation already.
But you can get a lot more caffeine in you faster and more conveniently by taking pills rather than having a cup of coffee with a meal. You can't have a trainer deciding what to put in there bodies and how. She broke the rule, therefore they had a rule on what they could give them?

Does anyone think Ruben is really a big draw? He's been pretty low profile since idol.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #27
laria
Librocubicularist

I wonder if they knew ahead of time something was going on.

There was a LOT of time between weigh ins... Bob mentioned when he was talking about the weigh in that it had been 2 weeks. Why such a long break?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #28
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Does anyone think Ruben is really a big draw? He's been pretty low profile since idol.
Don't know about 'big draw', but I'd be willing to bet there are more eyes on the show because he's on it than there would be if that spot was filled by just another non-descript contestant.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I wonder if they knew ahead of time something was going on.

There was a LOT of time between weigh ins... Bob mentioned when he was talking about the weigh in that it had been 2 weeks. Why such a long break?
They invalidated the previus week so their starting weight was whatever they were at two weeks ago.

I too imediately thought it was a ploy to get the famous contestant back.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #30
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They invalidated the previus week so their starting weight was whatever they were at two weeks ago.
Ohhhh... I guess that part of invalidating the weigh in wasn't clear to me. I thought Bob meant it was literally 2 weeks since Ruben left.