Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 10/22/2013 (S01E05) "The Girl in the Flower Dress"

So we move along on what Skye's motivation is. Interesting.

And we get to see Extremis and experimentation with same again.

Hopefully this series is hitting it's stride. Hopefully.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

I liked this episode and last weeks. I hope they can keep it up.

The actors are starting to mesh better and the stories are getting better. First seasons can be tough even for good shows....case in point Star Trek The Next Generation, I can not watch most of the first season anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
NJChris
Moogs!

Definitely has gotten better. Poor Scorch....

I wonder if her BF will be an issue later on. he has a beard so he could be evil.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is that the whole deal with Skye? if so, is the Coulson thing the only outstanding mystery?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
MikeCC
TiVotee

I thought the repeated references to the floral dresses worn by Evil Manipulating Woman were anvils to the viewer... though what that means, I ain't sure...

Floral dresses are a sign of a soulless bitch? The Floral patterns emit some sexual lure that renders men helpless and malleable? (Hell, most guys are extremely malleable and compliant when an attractive woman pays attention to them..)
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
NoThru22
Smelly Pirate Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Is that the whole deal with Skye? if so, is the Coulson thing the only outstanding mystery?
Did you miss the part where her parents identities are so top secret that they were redacted by Shield?

Also, Melinda May's backstory needs to be told.

I'm calling it now: Skye's parents, Coulson and May.

NoThru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Loach

As a parent, the post-sex scene with Skye and her boyfriend was very disappointing to me. It was completely gratuitous, not to mention the acting during that scene was horrendous. I was hoping this series would be safe to watch with young teens/tweens. Guess maybe not. Not sure how this episode rated TV-PG. I guess nearly naked women are just the norm these days.

That aside, I think this was the weakest episode so far. Not sure why but it just didn't keep my attention like the other episodes did. Maybe it was the acting as a whole - didn't think the Scorch guy was very good and the villains were not very interesting.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

I was angry at the scene of Skye in her underwear, because the local affiliate covered it up with a lower-thirds promo for their third-place 11 o'clock news.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
As a parent, the post-sex scene with Skye and her boyfriend was very disappointing to me. It was completely gratuitous, not to mention the acting during that scene was horrendous. I was hoping this series would be safe to watch with young teens/tweens. Guess maybe not. Not sure how this episode rated TV-PG. I guess nearly naked women are just the norm these days.
I guess it's a good thing for your kids that there's no beach in Omaha.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Or TV commercials, or billboards, or magazine covers...
Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Loach

It's not just the scant clothing. It's the sexual context in a 7:00 show targeted at family viewers. So why wasn't the program rated TV14? Why does the TV14 rating even exist?

And by the way, Skye is not really even hot enough to pull off that clothing.

Last edited by Loach : 10-23-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I spent far too much time (okay, a few seconds) trying to figure out the WWII/Normandy Invasion reference before I thought to check where Loach is from.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
trainman
Nice to see you

Personally, I'd be more worried about kids watching the scene of the doctor being engulfed in flames than anything else in this episode, although this probably isn't a good place for that debate.

Did I see correctly that the boyfriend uploaded a file with an .mp4 extension into the Austin traffic light system?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I spent far too much time (okay, a few seconds) trying to figure out the WWII/Normandy Invasion reference before I thought to check where Loach is from.
Ok, now I feel better--that was my first thought too.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Ereth

I really thought they were about to give us Sunfire, that would have been an interesting dip into the Marvel well, and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go that way.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I really thought they were about to give us Sunfire, that would have been an interesting dip into the Marvel well, and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go that way.
They probably can't...he's an X-Men character, and thus outside Marvel's control for movies/TV.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Did I see correctly that the boyfriend uploaded a file with an .mp4 extension into the Austin traffic light system?
Yup, I noticed that, too. And just now I noticed that it is "Playable" as well. Also notice that it has nice context checking to see if the power grid is up before it executes, and if the power grid is down, it cleverly powers up the grid first.

BTW, Coulson should have jumped out of his car and chased the guy on foot. If there was really gridlock, it should not be that hard.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They probably can't...he's an X-Men character, and thus outside Marvel's control for movies/TV.
He's only ancillarily an X-men character, isn't he? Sure he was with the team briefly, but he was in Sub-Mariner and Iron Man, too.

How broadly is the license to Sony written? Anybody who was ever an X-man is licensed away?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
He's only ancillarily an X-men character, isn't he? Sure he was with the team briefly, but he was in Sub-Mariner and Iron Man, too.
He's a mutant, he was created in the X-Men comic, he was a member of the team, and he has been associated with them for over 40 years despite the occasional guest appearances elsewhere. So I'd guess he wouldn't even be considered a borderline case.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
Ereth

If I'm not mistaken, EVERYBODY in the Marvel Universe is a mutant now. Bruce Banner became the Hulk because the gamma radiation reacted with his mutation. Spider-Man became Spider-man because the radioactive spider reacted with his mutation.

I get your bigger point, though. I guess I just never really associated him with X-men that strongly, but I do know that Roy Thomas created him in the X-Men. Wolverine was created in the Hulk, though.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, EVERYBODY in the Marvel Universe is a mutant now. Bruce Banner became the Hulk because the gamma radiation reacted with his mutation. Spider-Man became Spider-man because the radioactive spider reacted with his mutation.
Uh, no, I don't think so. At least, I've never heard that. And if they ever said it (it would have to have been in the 90s, when comics were insane and I wasn't reading), they don't say it any more.
Quote:
I get your bigger point, though. I guess I just never really associated him with X-men that strongly, but I do know that Roy Thomas created him in the X-Men. Wolverine was created in the Hulk, though.
Yes, but he immediately went into the X-Men, where he's been for 40 years, and where they quickly turned him into a mutant.

Hell, Fox has even been able to claim Quicksilver, who was created in the X-Men and was a villain there for about 15 minutes before he joined the Avengers and has been there for the past 50 years. Interestingly, though, he will also be in the next Avengers movie. Apparently, his 15 minutes as an X-Men villain in 1964 was enough that Marvel can't stop Fox from using him, but his 50 years as an X-Man are enough that Fox can't stop Marvel from using him.

Marvel isn't even allowed to use the word "mutant" in their movies and TV shows, although I'm not sure if that's a contractual stipulation or an editorial edict.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Uh, no, I don't think so. At least, I've never heard that. And if they ever said it (it would have to have been in the 90s, when comics were insane and I wasn't reading), they don't say it any more.
I only ran into it in World War Hulk, I think. I vaguely remember someone (Doc Sampson?) explaining that Banner only survived the gamma bomb because of his mutation, and that they (SHIELD?) had been trying to duplicate the result (with a more controllable subject) but nobody had the same mutation. It was kind of an explanation for why all the people had different results from their exposure to gamma radiation (which used to be explained by it reflecting their personality, which is why Peter David (?) came up with the idea that Bruce had Multiple Personality Disorder). I confess I pretty much gave up on Marvel comics a long time ago, so I'm out of date, but I thought they had retrofit the mutant thing into everybody by now. Or maybe I simply read too much into an off-hand comment somewhere. I always thought the idea was stupid, but honestly thought it was canon now.

This is one I'd be glad to be wrong on.

Quote:
Yes, but he immediately went into the X-Men, where he's been for 40 years, and where they quickly turned him into a mutant.
Yeah, I know. I was being silly.

Quote:
Hell, Fox has even been able to claim Quicksilver, who was created in the X-Men and was a villain there for about 15 minutes before he joined the Avengers and has been there for the past 50 years. Interestingly, though, he will also be in the next Avengers movie. Apparently, his 15 minutes as an X-Men villain in 1964 was enough that Marvel can't stop Fox from using him, but his 50 years as an X-Man are enough that Fox can't stop Marvel from using him.
Didn't we learn sometime back that Pietro and Wanda were actually Magnetos children? Or is that another thing I remember wrong? (And thanks for correcting me that it was Fox that had that license).

Quote:
Marvel isn't even allowed to use the word "mutant" in their movies and TV shows, although I'm not sure if that's a contractual stipulation or an editorial edict.
I hadn't realized that. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Didn't we learn sometime back that Pietro and Wanda were actually Magnetos children? Or is that another thing I remember wrong?
Yep. Along with Lorna Dane/Polaris.

I think from time to time all three have been ret-conned out of the family (certainly Lorna has), but it's never stuck.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #24
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

How broadly is the license to Sony written? Anybody who was ever an X-man is licensed away?
I believe that Sunfire is currently appearing in Uncanny Avengers.

Like you, I was hoping that this would be Sunfire and was a tad disappointed when it wasn't.
And it's not like they could have used Johnny Storm (due to rights).

I do wonder if Jim Hammond would available for this show.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I believe that Sunfire is currently appearing in Uncanny Avengers.
Which, for the uninitiated, is an Avengers/X-Men team-up book (Uncanny X-Men & Mighty Avengers), and he's one of the X-Men on the team.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #26
NoThru22
Smelly Pirate Hooker

In the comics, a mutation does not make you a member of the race of mutants. Even getting mutant powers grafted "onto" you like Deadpool does not make you a mutant.

Quicksilver was also a member of X-Factor for years.

It is contractual that non-Fox movies cannot use the term mutant. http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?i...20130924095818 I'd be interested to see how/if they explain Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch's powers in Avengers 2.

NoThru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
dtle

Quote:
So you have no problems with them showing a human being charred to death right in front of your eyes? Typical American parents....
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
So you have no problems with them showing a human being charred to death right in front of your eyes? Typical American parents....
Cartoonish. Not realistic at all.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
IDSmoker

Quote:
Is that comment in reference to the violence or the sex?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
smbaker

Quote:
'cartoonish' isn't how I would describe the scene. It may not have been graphic or gruesome, but it was clearly meant to depict a human being killed by incineration.

I can't see what the issue is with the post-sex scene. It didn't depict them having sex. It depicted a woman in her underwear. It was no more graphic than what one would see at the beach. It revealed that adults wear underwear in the bedroom.

As far as this episode, I enjoyed it, but I am getting tired of 'extremis' related plots, mainly because I've been bored with it ever since the last ironman movie. Can someone familiar with Marvel comics tell me, is extremis central to the marvel world? Should we expect it to keep coming up? I was hoping that Scorch would turn into a super-villain for the series. For me, superheroes are defined by their villains, and this series has no decent villains yet.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote