TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Castle S06E05 "Time Will Tell" EOD 10/21/2013

OK, I spent the whole show excited that they got Joe Morton to play Dr. Wickfield, thinking what a great casting coup... but it wasn't him!! It was Tim Russ. How embarrassing. Still it made me happy for a while.

This was a fun episode to be sure, although I was sorry we had to lose Esposito and Ryan (mostly) to make room for the rest of the plot. And my daughter is a senior in high school this year so Castle's interactions with Alexis are definitely hitting home for me.

I wish they hadn't bailed on the FBI plotline so soon; I felt like there was more there and it would have been fun to explore it. But I'm glad they haven't fallen into the trap of Castle and Beckett having relationship problems.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Ereth

When the Time Traveller got lost and they were wondering where to find him, I had to ask "Did you check the Buy More?".

Nice Terminator riff here. Enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I knew they were going to leave it ambiguous.

Senator Beckett would be interesting, though.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Nice Terminator riff here. Enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I knew they were going to leave it ambiguous.
They threw out the ambiguity with the perfectly matched coffee stain between the letter and the photo of the letter.

Which was slightly disappointing to me.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
They threw out the ambiguity with the perfectly matched coffee stain between the letter and the photo of the letter.

They like to do these X-Files episodes where Castle believes and Kate doubts, but I generally don't like those episodes because they do not do a good job, for reasons like you point out here.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
They like to do these X-Files episodes where Castle believes and Kate doubts, but I generally don't like those episodes because they do not do a good job, for reasons like you point out here.
Yeah, basically they (inadvertently) portray Castle as a gullible idiot, which is pretty out of character for him...and then prove he was right after all. I don't know why I was more able to accept that formula on the X-Files...maybe because they just broke me down by using it week after week. But here, it just pisses me off.

Still pretty funny, though!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
MikeCC
TiVotee

I think what I found very well done was the nuanced shift in Kate's role in Castle's life. In the past, she and Castle would talk about his Alexis issues, perhaps as they walk to a crime scene. Fairly comfortable and collegial. Rick would express his frustration about how he and Alexis had a difference, and Kate would be able to offer him Alexis' perspective.

Back then, the advice was always more matter of fact; Kate then was more of a sounding board than a participant.

But in Time Will Tell, a title that now seems as if it could also refer to consequences of Alexis' choices, Kate treads much more carefully. I saw Beckett try to be nonchalant and unobtrusive, as she paid attention to what Castle was saying to Alexis when he was on the phone with her. And for the first time, Kate quietly and slowly offered her counsel to Rick, before he even asked.

She did that cautiously, because she did not want to intrude on Rick relationship with his daughter. But it was the first time she initiated some advice to Rick about his daughter. And she held his hand while quietly reminding him that Alexis is trying to discover her own future, just as they are discovering theirs.

To my eyes, it was a terrific way to show an evolving dynamic. It seemed very real to me. Rick is watching his daughter begin to leave the nest, and he is upset. And Kate is there for him, and for Alexis, too, because she isn't just a girlfriend now. Kate will be a stepmother.

On a lighter note, anyone notice how this is the second episode in a row that mentions the idea of Castle-Beckett babies? Sure, both times were just a fairly quick passing reference, but I'm figuring EP Andrew Marlowe is using these mentions to whip the Caskett fans into a bit of a lather. (Gotta say, I'm one of 'em...)

Last edited by MikeCC : 10-23-2013 at 10:22 AM.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, basically they (inadvertently) portray Castle as a gullible idiot, which is pretty out of character for him...and then prove he was right after all.
So I guess those stock tips will fund the Senate campaign.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post

--Carlos V.
and see, i liked that, because all the other cases where Castle was almost convinced it was something supernatural/crazy (zombie killer, ghost in the haunted house, alien abduction to name a few), there were all explained away legitimately.

this one though, was never explained away, and in fact, showed - it seems - that it was indeed the "loony" explanation. that was fun!
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
and see, i liked that, because all the other cases where Castle was almost convinced it was something supernatural/crazy (zombie killer, ghost in the haunted house, alien abduction to name a few), there were all explained away legitimately.

this one though, was never explained away, and in fact, showed - it seems - that it was indeed the "loony" explanation. that was fun!
That's why I didn't like it that they just left us hanging. Not that I need every little detail explained, but <DrEvil>Help me out here, throw me a bone</DrEvil>

Also I find it hard to believe that the precinct's holding cells don't have full time video surveillance cameras. Even if they looked at the tape and the camera failed at the time the prisoner disappeared (although it is possible that scene was shot and cut for time).
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I enjoyed the episode and the twists to it. Seeing Josh Gomez was fun. I miss Chuck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Linnemir

Do things seem a mite rushed this season? I was happy to see the FBI story line end, but thought they could milk Beckett being unemployed for at least one more episode.

The thing that really bothers me is the whole Alexis/Pi arc. Every other time Alexis has had a boyfriend, there has been a romantic spark, an affectionate look to her. I don't see it with Pi. It's not as if she's moving in with a guy she really cares about; it's more as if she's just moving out to be on her own rather than to live with him. I'm not sure I'm saying this clearly, but I just don't feel the love.

I do, however, agree that Beckett is taking a more active role in discussing Alexis with Rick. Kinda nice ...
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir View Post
Do things seem a mite rushed this season? I was happy to see the FBI story line end, but thought they could milk Beckett being unemployed for at least one more episode.

The thing that really bothers me is the whole Alexis/Pi arc. Every other time Alexis has had a boyfriend, there has been a romantic spark, an affectionate look to her. I don't see it with Pi. It's not as if she's moving in with a guy she really cares about; it's more as if she's just moving out to be on her own rather than to live with him. I'm not sure I'm saying this clearly, but I just don't feel the love.

I do, however, agree that Beckett is taking a more active role in discussing Alexis with Rick. Kinda nice ...
You may be right on the money with your assessment of the Pi/Alexi new apartment situation. May be she feels the kidnapping of last season was a critical turning point in how she views life: it hasn't been discussed openly, she may be like her father in that regard, but perhaps Alexis is going to live more in the moment, and try to capture life experiences. Thus her Costa Rican trip, her abrupt departure to head back to NYC, her latching on to a guy she's known all of fifteen minutes...

I suspect Alexis is finally starting to chafe at the restraints of expectations, although most of those expectations had been self imposed!

As for Kate, when I rewatched the ep, I still found myself smiling as she gently tried her hand at helping Rick be a parent. This is a tricky area for her. The emotional stakes are higher. But I think she handled it well, and to his credit, Rick seems very happy to have her counsel.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Vendikarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
As for Kate, when I rewatched the ep, I still found myself smiling as she gently tried her hand at helping Rick be a parent. This is a tricky area for her. The emotional stakes are higher. But I think she handled it well, and to his credit, Rick seems very happy to have her counsel.
Her weighing in on Alexis is a very sensitive subject. We learned previously that Castle's relationship with his second wife ended (the first time) primarily because he couldn't share Alexis. Kate needs to tread carefully.

Alexis' relationship with Pi makes all kinds of sense to me. All of her other boyfriends have been serious, academic types like herself. Pi on the other hand, is a bit of a free spirit with a sort of innocent look on the world. Alexis has found a man who embodies aspects of her father's personality. It's probably subconscious, but it's strong.

Both of my daughters are grown, and while they are different, in talking to them they have different aspects of my personality about them. The adage of a woman finding a man like her father does seem to be based in reality.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I thought it was one of the best episodes of the season so far. I told some people about Castle that had not watched it and they are big fans now thanks to TNT.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
SNJpage1

WE have a season pass for the reruns. I actually like the old ones more than the new ones.