TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Tanquen

Popping, static noise when playback resumes. Premiere only.

I have two TiVo HD units and one Premiere. The Premiere now has a little pop and some static after playback resumes from fast forward, rewind or pause. Anyone else have this? The two HD units do not do this and are connected through the receiver the same way as the Premiere. I use the Premiere very little as I just got it to look at the on demand stuff and it sooooooo sloooooow, the on demand and the menus.

It seems this popping is new. I don't think it was there when I first got it.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
kumaaz99

That's interesting, I've been getting a loud crack occasionally on my series III. It seemed to start when I put in a new Pioneer receiver so I thought it was the sound system. Yesterday I moved the III to another room to put in a new roamio. Now I do hear some static and low popping from the III. I'll have to pay attention to it to see when it happens. I never thought it could be the tivo, but now it seems possible.
kumaaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
unitron

So are you guys using HDMI?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
aeternal

I only have some random popping during playback with optical audio. I'd be curious if you guys are experiencing it thru HDMI as the above poster inquired
aeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Tanquen

Yes, Iím using HDMI for everything. Itís seems like it has always been there but I did not notice it. I got a new receiver and now the two TiVo HDs do it too. The new receiver doesnít like the way the TiVos start and stop the HDMI audio streams. Even when I donít fast forward there can be pops when the show Iím watching and the commercials switch in and out of Dolby Digital. I mostly blame the new receiver (Onkyo 5010) but it seems like it was there on the other receivers too just not as bad.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Try setting the audio output on the TiVo to PCM instead of Dolby, then check to see if the noise is gone. Let me know if this works for all of you. If it does, then the only answer is to leave it that way, or put it back, and deal with the pops etc. - I am in the same boat...
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Tanquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Try setting the audio output on the TiVo to PCM instead of Dolby, then check to see if the noise is gone. Let me know if this works for all of you. If it does, then the only answer is to leave it that way, or put it back, and deal with the pops etc. - I am in the same boat...
I did try that and now forget the outcome but donít you lose surround sound with PCM?

It's odd, with the new receiver it seems to have switched as the HDs do it but not the Premiere. I can see on the front of the receiver that the Premiere maintains the HDMI audio stream. When I watch a show and switch to TiVo Central on the Premiere all the HDMI info stays the same but with the TiVo HDs the info goes away and comes back and you get the little pops or crackles.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
I did try that and now forget the outcome but donít you lose surround sound with PCM?

It's odd, with the new receiver it seems to have switched as the HDs do it but not the Premiere. I can see on the front of the receiver that the Premiere maintains the HDMI audio stream. When I watch a show and switch to TiVo Central on the Premiere all the HDMI info stays the same but with the TiVo HDs the info goes away and comes back and you get the little pops or crackles.
If I remember correctly, I think PCM on the TiVo is only two channel.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote