TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I'm antenna only, and oddly enough the video podcasts I download (from places like CNet & Revision 3) on my TiVo can't be copied from one TiVo box to another. Always found that to be bizarre.

I'm gonna assume these won't be doable either if I can't copy it from one TiVo to another in my own house.
I think you could just watch those podcasts directly from the cnet or revision3 websites with an Ipad.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
yeah, any podcast app will work with them, or you could download/stream/sync them yourself... they are not "TiVo exclusives" by any means...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #33
bcrider
TiVo Rebel

Thumbs up TiVo Stream vs Slingbox

Glad I came across this thread. I was just looking at getting a Slingbox, but a TiVo Stream that allows for streaming outside the home will be great! Hope they update this soon.
Series 4 - Premiere XL4 (lifetime)
bcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, I too am looking forward to it... very happy to have learned it'll work with my existing TiVo Stream and TiVo Premiere. (Not entirely interested in upgrading to a Roamio at this time.) I hope it handles adaptive bitrate streaming well, so it works adequately in remote locations with not-so-fast internet speeds. Hopefully the Stream's hardware can handle that transcoding (?) The Slingbox already does this well.

What the Stream has over the Slingbox is tighter UI integration with native controls. The Slingbox uses IR blasters to control your settop box, and adds on a "virtual" remote widget on your handheld/laptop screen to control it all... the end result is a bit laggy and sometimes feels like a kludge. TiVo's implementation, while it's taken far too many years to get here, strikes me as more elegant, integrated and reliable. Let's hope this comes to pass, in reality, and is as usable as I'm hoping it will be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Although this part I hadn't heard yet, kinda sucks:

Quote:
However, the new DVRs don’t provide TV Everywhere in all cases: The streaming feature is restricted based on flags set by programmers. According to TiVo, not all content can be streamed out of home and some programming may only be streamed while a mobile device is on the same local Wi-Fi network as the subscriber’s DVR.
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news...io-1200582143/

I mean, I knew that downloading wouldn't work for all content (damn CCI flag) but I thought streaming was a "solution" for that. At least it has been that way within then home when sharing content between two TiVos (and streaming to an iPad.) I did not expect that streaming would be further restricted and that some content wouldn't be allowed to be streamed outside the home. I guess I should never make assumptions when it comes to TiVo, they always seems to come up with new and novel ways to disappoint me. Yes, I understand they're under legal pressure to keep this secure and appease the broadcasters. Doesn't make me any less disappointed, though.

So in this regard, Slingbox is better. It lets you stream anything, anywhere. No downloading though. Sounds like Dish's Hopper product can also do both (and why they're always being legally challenged by the broadcasters.) I am not sure how DirecTV's Genie product handles this.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
So in this regard, Slingbox is better. It lets you stream anything, anywhere. No downloading though.
For Slingbox Pro or later models there is actually a way to capture real time H.264 output of the Sling. Not as good as downloads but better than nothing.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #37
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
For Slingbox Pro or later models there is actually a way to capture real time H.264 output of the Sling. Not as good as downloads but better than nothing.
Really? Interesting. Got a link?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #38
moyekj

Quote:
Really? Interesting. Got a link?
See Capturing Slingbox 350/500 video thread.
Note that I incorporated the capability into recent versions of kmttg.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #39
mattack

Quote:
So in this regard, Slingbox is better. It lets you stream anything, anywhere. No downloading though. Sounds like Dish's Hopper product can also do both (and why they're always being legally challenged by the broadcasters.) I am not sure how DirecTV's Genie product handles this.
Though, to be honest, Slingbox is affected by copy protection just the same. I was watching a CNET video on Slingbox (from early this year, that I still had on my iPad), and they mentioned that while you can hook up HDMI to the slingbox, even sling recommends you ALSO connect component, BECAUSE OF COPY PROTECTION ISSUES.

So this is very very close to being the same thing.. You're essentially just hitting the analog hole with component.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #40
moyekj

Slingbox 500 with HDMI is worthless IMO. What makes Sling great is ability to exploit the analog hole using component. I was very glad to see Roamios released with analog outputs still. A day will come when analog outputs on these boxes will be gone, though at that point probably HDMI/component adapters could be used to work around the HDCP nonsense.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #41
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I'm still looking for clarification on what (if any) restrictions will be placed on out-of-home streaming when it is finally enabled.

If a show can be streamed from one TiVo to another in my home, why wouldn't it be able to be streamed to my iPad out-of-home?

HBO shows have the most restrictive CCI byte, but I can stream these shows to another TiVo in my home. Will I be able to stream this same HBO show to my iPad when I am outside my home?

If TiVo restricts streaming out-of-home similar to the prohibitions put in place for copying from one TiVo to another (CCI flag), the OOH streaming function would be better served with a Slingbox, IMO.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #42
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
At least in the case of HBO, I'd say those shows are better served via the HBO GO app. It's the other premium channels I am worried about...

Old 10-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
At least in the case of HBO, I'd say those shows are better served via the HBO GO app. It's the other premium channels I am worried about...
HBO GO app does not work outside of the USA. Slingbox does.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #44
Dan203
Super Moderator

We don't know yet. The only indication we have that there will be restrictions at all is the early reviews of the Roamio that had mentions of the out of home streaming. Unless TiVo releases more info (unlikely) we'll have to wait until it's released and see how it goes.

The big difference here between TiVo Stream and Slingbox is that TiVo has to play nice with CableLabs because they are doing a pure digital transfer. Slingbox is exploiting the "analog hole" so they aren't restricted.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #45
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

CCI byte restrictions on OOH streaming? Yes or No?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #46
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
We don't know yet. We haven't learned anything new in the 9 days since you asked last.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #47
Dan203
Super Moderator

We'll find out Thursday morning...

https://www.facebook.com/TiVo/app_256483144499267
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #48
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We'll find out Thursday morning...

https://www.facebook.com/TiVo/app_256483144499267
at 7:00AM EST (according to the OOH countdown clock)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #49
SullyND
L: 28-31

Looks like it's just Roamio Pro and Plus per Tivos Facebook page
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #50
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Looks like it's just Roamio Pro and Plus per Tivos Facebook page
The generic Roamio does not have streaming built in, but can receive channels via a HD antenna. It is compatible with a separate Stream unit.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #51
SullyND
L: 28-31

Right. So can the premiere. The FB post makes no mention of the stream.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #52
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

It's all going to be moot if there will be restrictions similar to those in place for the CCI byte / transfer.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #53
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
It's all going to be moot if there will be restrictions similar to those in place for the CCI byte / transfer.
Depends on your cable provider. Mine only protects Premium channels so it'll still work fine for me. But if you have one that protects everything like Time Warner then it would be pretty useless.

Although if it is limited by CCI it's not really much better then downloading, so I wonder what the point would be?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #54
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah the whole point of streaming was to appease the CCI byte.

I want this to work with my Stream (and my Premiere) just as it works with the Stream+Roamio. And we've been told that it would.

And I want it to let me stream any and all recorded content, outside the home. Otherwise it's completely useless to me.

Let's see how TiVo manages to disappoint us, yet again.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #55
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Depends on your cable provider. Mine only protects Premium channels so it'll still work fine for me. But if you have one that protects everything like Time Warner then it would be pretty useless.

Although if it is limited by CCI it's not really much better then downloading, so I wonder what the point would be?
I have TWC and they restrict everything with the CCI byte except the locals.

That's why I thought STREAMING outside the home was the answer, similar to how I can STREAM from the Premiere in my Family Room to the Premiere in my bedroom.

I have a Slingbox so I can stream whatever channel I want. I was hoping to be able to get rid of the Slingbox and 2 Premieres and replace it with a Roamio+ and Mini.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

We'll know in a few hours.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #57
bradleys
It'll be fine....

We had one reviewer that mentioned protected channels - that is where the concern comes from. I also agree that honoring the CCI byte for external streaming doesn't make any sense - but until 7am tomorrow we just won't know.

Plenty of time to get pissed off when we have the whole story!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #58
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

The updated TiVo app with streaming capabilities is available on the Apple App Store.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #59
MScottC

Very cool... 2 notes... as someone else noted only wi-fi is supported. Apparently LTE to come later. Premium channels will not stream out of house.
Now, as the only iDevices my wife and I own are phones and pods, no pads, I'm waiting for a PC browser function.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #60
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Right. So can the premiere. The FB post makes no mention of the stream.
The updated iOS app details do mention that it is coming to Stream "soon".

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote