TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
nmiller855

removing plastic pegs

I'm trying to swap out a power supply on a Hughes unit. The power supply board is held down by 2 screws & 4 plastic pegs. The pegs push up from the bottom of the unit & have spreaders to keep the board in place. How do I remove the plastic pegs?
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
socrplyr

I am not familiar with the specific plastic pegs in your unit, but often times you can use a pair of needlenose pliers to squeeze them in and then just lift the board past them. Be sure not the flex the board too much or scratch it if you intent to keep/reuse it.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
I'm trying to swap out a power supply on a Hughes unit. The power supply board is held down by 2 screws & 4 plastic pegs. The pegs push up from the bottom of the unit & have spreaders to keep the board in place. How do I remove the plastic pegs?
A piece of metal or heavy stiff plastic tubing just the right diameter to push down from the top and squeeze the two halves together would be ideal, and one day I'll get around to getting one, but in the meantime I do it with pliers.

Take the screws out first, then do the two nearest the front of the TiVo, lifting up the board gently with your other hand, then do the two in the back.

It takes a few tries to get the hang of it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
SNJpage1

I love the idea about the plastic tubing. I think you might also be able to use a socket driver of the correct size.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I love the idea about the plastic tubing. I think you might also be able to use a socket driver of the correct size.
You might be better able to find brass tubing the right size than plastic heavy duty enough to do the job.

But once you get the hang of using pliers (or maybe hemostats?), the idea of bothering with anything else may become much less appealing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You might be better able to find brass tubing the right size than plastic heavy duty enough to do the job.

But once you get the hang of using pliers (or maybe hemostats?), the idea of bothering with anything else may become much less appealing.
Nothing beats the plastic tubes the right dimension to remove standoffs, I use to have them supplied by a vendor in a previous job and they were a joy to use.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
SNJpage1

I have a pair of needle nose pliers that have an angle to them. Makes it easier to get to the pegs then the regular straight ones.