Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
The actual finale on Friday night was called Gold Rush Live and was not picked up by SP's. It contained the final episode "The Motherlode" which aired on Saturday along with a bunch of live mostly useless crap with Christo talking to the crews.
Shows on deep cable are foolish for tamperlng with the show title in the age of the DVR.

I have missed several shows for this reason.

I missed a whole season of Dirty Jobs for this reason.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #32
GDG76
Packet Herder

Todd has also claimed he has ADD, so I'm sure he was some kind of speed. Combine that with sinus issues and I can see where people got "coked up".

Jack Hoffman uses morphine just to stay upright and working, so drugs are nothing new to these guys. Honestly, I'd be shocked if drugs weren't prevalent on most of these job sites.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #33
DeDondeEs

Yeah, i've seen some interviews with Todd where he'll be talking then suddenly his eyes will open up really wide and get this crazy eyes look for a second. I think it is just a twitch.

Why on earth wouldn't Parker go to college. If he really wants to get into mining he should go to the Colorado School of Mines and get a degree. Then he actually might know how to read/interpret a geologic map and find gold. They film during the summer, you'd think that would work perfectly with college. When most of your work is outdoors, i'd imagine there is all sorts of trouble you could get into just hanging out there in the winter in Alaska.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
GDG76
Packet Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Yeah, i've seen some interviews with Todd where he'll be talking then suddenly his eyes will open up really wide and get this crazy eyes look for a second. I think it is just a twitch.

Why on earth wouldn't Parker go to college. If he really wants to get into mining he should go to the Colorado School of Mines and get a degree. Then he actually might know how to read/interpret a geologic map and find gold. They film during the summer, you'd think that would work perfectly with college. When most of your work is outdoors, i'd imagine there is all sorts of trouble you could get into just hanging out there in the winter in Alaska.
The elephant in the room during the show was that Parker and family probably get paid so much by Discovery that it makes no sense for him to do anything that would take away from Gold Rush. It's the same debate as college athletes going pro. If there is a 6 figure income on the table now, take it, save that for college and go when the craze of the show has died down if you really want to.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #35
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
The elephant in the room during the show was that Parker and family probably get paid so much by Discovery that it makes no sense for him to do anything that would take away from Gold Rush. It's the same debate as college athletes going pro. If there is a 6 figure income on the table now, take it, save that for college and go when the craze of the show has died down if you really want to.
Agreed. I guess the only difference is that if Parker went to school for mining, that education could be immediately applied to his profession.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
GDG76
Packet Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Agreed. I guess the only difference is that if Parker went to school for mining, that education could be immediately applied to his profession.
But then the show wouldn't be as interesting when he doesn't bungle every decision.

I think a well run gold plant would make for very boring TV. Tony Beets seems to be a cool dude, but the day to day running of his plant is probably boring as all hell....
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
But then the show wouldn't be as interesting when he doesn't bungle every decision.

I think a well run gold plant would make for very boring TV. Tony Beets seems to be a cool dude, but the day to day running of his plant is probably boring as all hell....
a well run anything makes for boring tv! lol
Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #38
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

When the hell is the new season starting? My DVR is catching all these BS gold rush "Specials" about the hoffmans being in south america and Parker working with that other guy, but it's never coming on!

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #39
vertigo235

the 25th i think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #40
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
I hope Parker never forgets that Fred would not loan him the electrical panel.
I too harbor bitterness.
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #41
Numb And Number2

I think it's a great show. Todd is overbearing, no doubt, but it works.

My beef is with the compilations, behind the scenes, out takes, previews, recaps, etc, I'm never sure when a new ep has aired. Has the new season started? I'm seriously, I don't know.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #42
vertigo235

They had a few shows with new content during the summer, then last week's show was a compilation of that.

I think new footage airs on the 25th. But yes I certainly agree it's annoying when I try to catch a new episode and it's a bunch of old footage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #43
Bob Coxner

Gold prices are down almost 25% in the past year. http://www.monex.com/prods/gold_chart.html I wonder what that will do for shows like this and Bering Sea Gold. Expenses are so high for the Bering Sea prospectors that it has to be really hard on them. It definitely hurts the hype when gold prices are going down steadily as opposed to shooting up.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
...Expenses are so high for the Bering Sea prospectors that it has to be really hard on them...
It's funny you say that because I think the opposite. The Bearing Sea guys have it easy. They don't need dozers and dump trucks and million dollar wash plants. I've always thought they had it really easy (financially and physically) compared to land miners.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #45
Bob Coxner

Quote:
It's funny you say that because I think the opposite. The Bearing Sea guys have it easy. They don't need dozers and dump trucks and million dollar wash plants. I've always thought they had it really easy (financially and physically) compared to land miners.
It's the extreme cost of living and doing business in Nome plus the cost of the leases. If I remember correctly, a large operator like The Christine Rose said they had to bring in $1 million just to break even. Boats in general are money pits in any situation. Add in the extra equipment needing for dredging in salt water (and the corrosion that brings) and the insane costs of fuel and parts (since almost everything in Nome has to come in by sea during only a few months).

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic....n-nome-alaska/

A single bell pepper cost $2.99, milk was $6 a gallon, and a honeydew melon was $14. We heard tell of $29 watermelon in Kotzebue, a town not far north of Nome.

We’ve become semi-regulars at one particular restaurant due to its proximity to our house and free WiFi. While the food is excellent, it is expensive. The cheapest items on the lunch/dinner menu are $13 hamburgers. Appetizers like cheesy breadsticks go for $16. A pizza that feeds three people can cost up to $32.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ing/53890140/1

There are plentiful, painful reminders all over this Bering Sea coastal community. At the grocery store, it's $39.25 for a 12-roll package of paper towels. Toilet paper costs $37.85 for a 36-roll package.
Want a 2-liter of Diet Pepsi? It's on sale this week for $4.49. At a restaurant, breakfast for one will run about $16, and, no, the price isn't tied to a four-star critics' rating.

And the price for a gallon of gas is well above the national average, at $5.96 a gallon.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #46
pmyers

Fair enough...but those are similar problems that the other Alaskan land miners would face as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #47
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Fair enough...but those are similar problems that the other Alaskan land miners would face as well.
The land miners generally have access to towns with roads that eventually connect to Anchorage, Fairbanks or Canada. Costs in those towns are high but nothing like Nome, which is only accessible by sea or air. And the sea access is only for a few months a year.

Running heavy equipment on the ocean has to do a lot more damage to it (salt water corrosion) compared to running it on land. The cost of repairs, parts and replacements are as insanely high in Nome as the groceries.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #48
vertigo235

yeah, judging by the living conditions of those on the show, nobody is getting very rich. And that includes the folks on the Christine Rose with their high yield (relatively) operation.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #49
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
yeah, judging by the living conditions of those on the show, nobody is getting very rich. And that includes the folks on the Christine Rose with their high yield (relatively) operation.
I think mainly because everybody on that show are idiots

I remember the guys that came up for winter who actually had their crap together and made a killing.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #50
MarkofT

Everybody on the show are idiots. No need to even consider that they have more then one braincell to share between them.

Season 4 premiere spoiler:
Spoiler:
Thurber and the kids went off to find water. They took a fairly well outfitted off road pickup and got it stuck in the mud. Thurber's best idea was to push it out of the mud.

Meanwhile, mounted on the front bumper bar is a high lift jack that can be used as a winch if needed. And mounted on the sides of the bed rack were traction ladders whose sole purpose in life is to be stuffed under the wheels of a stuck vehicle to provide traction so that it can pull itself out.

MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #51
Jayjoans

Not sure if spoiler tags are required in this thread, but just in case..

Spoiler:
I'm sure it's hard, scary, uncomfortable and shocking that there are bugs in the jungle, but NO WAY would I squeal like a little baby about being scared and frightened with cameras in front of me. If Todd Hoffman and his elderly father can handle it, I'd be damn sure not to be the one to leave first.

Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #52
pmyers

Not to mention that the truck was in 2 wheel drive. You can tell because only the back 2 tires were spinning.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #53
vertigo235

It's just the normal Manufactured drama that is common place on this show. I've learned to filter that stuff out and I only watch to see the different gold equipment, locations, and what not.

Like Parker drilling for gold, I'm certain they drilled in 3 spots they knew there was no gold just to amp up the drama for the show.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #54
WhiskeyTango

Yea, so this is a season 3 thread. Can we start a season 4 thread and stop posting spoilers?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #55
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
It's just the normal Manufactured drama that is common place on this show. I've learned to filter that stuff out and I only watch to see the different gold equipment, locations, and what not.

Like Parker drilling for gold, I'm certain they drilled in 3 spots they knew there was no gold just to amp up the drama for the show.
I would think that about other shows, but with these guys? Who knows. I don't think any of them are really the best and brightest. They all just want to try and find a quick and easy buck. No one wants to grind it out like Tony Beats.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #56
vertigo235

heh, well yeah, but Tony Beats has an established system that works. He also seems to have q good large claim, which none of these other people have.

Also, Tony Beats is a gold miner, not a reality TV star. Lets be honest, the only reason these guys are still mining for Gold is because they are on TV.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #57
Numb And Number2

Quote:
the only reason these guys are still mining for Gold is because they are on TV
Maybe. It's called hustling. To be admired. (Or envied and disparaged, lol!)