TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
dhoward

Premiere Lifetime for $99

When I bought my Premiere Tivo allowed me to pay $99 to convert my HD to lifetime. Has anyone had this offer to a Premiere if they purchase a Roamio? Probably wishful thinking but it would be enough for me to make the purchase.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I have a Premiere Elite that meets its' one year commitment tomorrow 9/19......and I'm holding out on ordering a Roamio to add to my collection for 2 reasons - 1) I'm waiting for any kind of promotion to score some kind of a discount on something to do with a PLS on either a new Roamio or an existing Premiere, and 2) TiVo is not getting a PENNY out of me until the Roamio is 100% (read: out of home streaming actually works & NOT "coming soon" and Android and/or Browser support).

Probably wishful thinking, but we shall see as the holidays roll around, since today is only 97 shopping days until Christmas.......
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
JasonD

No but they upgraded my Premiere to lifetime for $200, I'm happy.
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
dhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
No but they upgraded my Premiere to lifetime for $200, I'm happy.
Did you have to buy a Roamio for that?
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
TxDan

I bought a Premiere XL from a girl on Craigslist in July. She was going to Uverse so Tivo offered the $200 lifetime to her to get her to stay. Tivo let me have the $200 deal.
TxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
JasonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
Did you have to buy a Roamio for that?
No I had already purchased a Roamio from an online vendor, didn't seem to matter to them.
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
mrizzo80

I recently bought a Roamio and a few weeks later called up to cancel my 2 tuner Premiere that I've had for over 3 years. As I was dialing I thought there was an outside chance they would offer me a heavily discounted Lifetime package to stay, but I didn't really care either way.

When I told him I wanted to cancel, he asked me "what are you going to do with the box?" I said something like "I don't know...maybe sell it, maybe put it in the closet." He then encouraged me to sell it due to the high resale value (yeah right!). Anyway...point being, if you call TiVo to cancel service I'm guessing the correct answer to tell them is "it's going in the trash can." I think they may ask what you are going to do with the box to help determine whether they should offer you a discounted Lifetime deal or not. If you sell it to someone else, they'll make more money on the new customer than what you would pay to keep it (assuming the offer is $99 Lifetime). If you say you are going to throw it in the trash, TiVo will never see another dime from that box.

He put my on hold for a few minutes, came back and finalized the cancellation. I think he may have been conferring with a supervisor whether to offer me a deal or not.

All of this is speculation on my part.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Balzer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I recently bought a Roamio and a few weeks later called up to cancel my 2 tuner Premiere that I've had for over 3 years. As I was dialing I thought there was an outside chance they would offer me a heavily discounted Lifetime package to stay, but I didn't really care either way.

When I told him I wanted to cancel, he asked me "what are you going to do with the box?" I said something like "I don't know...maybe sell it, maybe put it in the closet." He then encouraged me to sell it due to the high resale value (yeah right!). Anyway...point being, if you call TiVo to cancel service I'm guessing the correct answer to tell them is "it's going in the trash can." I think they may ask what you are going to do with the box to help determine whether they should offer you a discounted Lifetime deal or not. If you sell it to someone else, they'll make more money on the new customer than what you would pay to keep it (assuming the offer is $99 Lifetime). If you say you are going to throw it in the trash, TiVo will never see another dime from that box.

He put my on hold for a few minutes, came back and finalized the cancellation. I think he may have been conferring with a supervisor whether to offer me a deal or not.

Hmm... thanks for the heads up... I guess when I call to cancel one of my Premieres in a couple weeks, I'll say that it's going to the "electronics recycling" or something.

Roamio/Stream (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Oct '13)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
Hmm... thanks for the heads up... I guess when I call to cancel one of my Premieres in a couple weeks, I'll say that it's going to the "electronics recycling" or something.
I would just tell them the truth: An old TiVo without lifetime would probably end up in a stack with all of my other old electronics. With lifetime, it could be a gift and a new user for TiVo.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post

Should have told them the only way it'll have any resale value worth you bothering to even put it on Craigslist is if they give you a deal on a lifetime sub for it like Premiere buyers are getting on their S3s.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
kherr

How long was it till they gave lifetime deals on the P3?? The Romios have only been available for a short time and someone said that they are still selling P4s.
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Balzer

Note

Before purchasing my Roamio, I had 2 active Premieres, the first has a grandfathered $6.95 monthly service that I transferred from my original S1 to a TivoHD, then to the Premiere. The other Premiere is a $12.95 monthly.

So tonight I called to cancel the $12.95 monthly Premiere, because I only need 2 at this time. I was hoping the rep would offer the $99 lifetime to keep it active, I was prepared to say I'll only accept it if I can get the same $99 offer for the other Premiere too. If not, no big deal.

Well, unfortunately, there was no offer of anything for the Premiere I was cancelling. She initially asked if I knew someone who would want to take over the service and continue it. I said no, and that I was going to stick it in a closet for backup or if I ever need a 3rd TV. But she just said ok, I've cancelled the Tivo, effective 11/2 (this month already paid for). No if's and's, but's or other offers.

Oh well, I have my Roamio that I purchased the reduced $399 lifetime, and the Premiere that should continue to be $6.95 monthly, so that's not bad.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
Before purchasing my Roamio, I had 2 active Premieres, the first has a grandfathered $6.95 monthly service that I transferred from my original S1 to a TivoHD, then to the Premiere. The other Premiere is a $12.95 monthly.

So tonight I called to cancel the $12.95 monthly Premiere, because I only need 2 at this time. I was hoping the rep would offer the $99 lifetime to keep it active, I was prepared to say I'll only accept it if I can get the same $99 offer for the other Premiere too. If not, no big deal.

Well, unfortunately, there was no offer of anything for the Premiere I was cancelling. She initially asked if I knew someone who would want to take over the service and continue it. I said no, and that I was going to stick it in a closet for backup or if I ever need a 3rd TV. But she just said ok, I've cancelled the Tivo, effective 11/2 (this month already paid for). No if's and's, but's or other offers.

Oh well, I have my Roamio that I purchased the reduced $399 lifetime, and the Premiere that should continue to be $6.95 monthly, so that's not bad.
So you never came right out and told them you wanted the lifetime deal?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Balzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

No. I figured if they wanted me to keep the box active, they would have offered it. In retrospect, it wouldn't have hurt to ask.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
overFEDEXed

I did and got this offer.

Quote:

I was in a similar situation and called. The best that they would do was put my $6.95 a month two-tuner Premiere, on Lifetime for $199.99.

I asked if I could then put that $6.95 plan on another Premiere and she said " No, it has to stay with the box???

The Tivo csr from another call, told me that she could transfer that $6.95 plan to ANY OTHER Premiere.

CSR roulette once again.

Anyway, I think that I will just keep the $6.95 plan, unless they sell me the Lifetime for $99. I like my Roamio Plus so much, compared to the slow, sluggish Premiere, that it probably won't be around much longer.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
akaussie

I recently purchased a Roamio (from Amazon) and added Lifetime service. I have a Premiere which I've had for just over 3 years on month to month. I called to cancel service/inquire about lifetime on the Premiere. Was offered Lifetime on it for $99!
The CSR stated that because I had the Premiere for over 3 years they could offer lifetime for $99, otherwise it would be $199.00.
Very happy with how it played out!
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
RonRamsey

I just called about my Premiere XL that was 3 years old in June. I also have a Roamio Pro with lifetime. She checked with her supervisor and was told that there was no $99 lifetime for my 3 year old premiere.
RonRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
tvmaster2

I hope that Tivo woman reads this stuff, 'cause they really are a pretty messed-up company to deal with from a consistency standpoint.
roulette indeed
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #19
overFEDEXed

Confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRamsey View Post
I just called about my Premiere XL that was 3 years old in June. I also have a Roamio Pro with lifetime. She checked with her supervisor and was told that there was no $99 lifetime for my 3 year old premiere.
When I called, I now remember the rep saying something about my box not being on its plan for three years, so she couldn't do the $99 Lifetime, but could do $199.

I just looked at my account and it has an activation date of 2007! (I think that was a plan transfer from an HD unit) I will tell you that it has been on this grandfathered $6.95 plan, for less than three years.
Maybe with me, that is the catch.

I will call back and try to get the $99 LT or at least get some clarification.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I hope that Tivo woman reads this stuff, 'cause they really are a pretty messed-up company to deal with from a consistency standpoint.
roulette indeed
Who, you mean TiVoMargret? She's the VP of design so I doubt she has any influence over customer service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #21

I hate how complicated this stuff is.

Why do they make it so hard? It's just frustrating as a consumer.

I shouldn't have to come up with complicated plans on how I want to upgrade this stuff.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I just cancelled service on a premier that I replaced with a Roamio a few months back. I would have kept it in a heartbeat if I'd been offered $99 lifetime. The guy on the phone was nearly silent the entire call and had me on hold for ages. Didn't offer a thing... just cancelled my box.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
I hate how complicated this stuff is.

Why do they make it so hard? It's just frustrating as a consumer.

I shouldn't have to come up with complicated plans on how I want to upgrade this stuff.
It is only complicated when we want deals, like being offered $99 lifetime as a retention offer. The problem with retention offers is they change and are not advertised. Without these forums most of use wouldn't know about them unless we were offered one. The same thing happens with many services like cable TV or telephone. I would look at them as a fire sale, if you catch one your lucky if you don't, don't worry about it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
shamilian

It is actually not that unfair....

If you pay for at least 3 years of services with a previous generation of Tivo then they offer a $99 deal... This has you pay more than the lifetime rate would have paid. If you have gotten some lower rate they will not typically offer the program. They may offer it at a higher amount like $199.

They just want the total to be more than the lifetime rate...
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
gigaguy

Yay, for us newbies wanting Premiere deals. New Roamio purchasers can now lifetime their Premieres for $99 or $199 to sell them off.
...now to find a lifetimed 4 tuner...

Last edited by gigaguy : 10-19-2013 at 02:58 AM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #26
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Who, you mean TiVoMargret? She's the VP of design so I doubt she has any influence over customer service.
If TiVo had any sense, they'd have someone high up in CS monitoring this site even more closely than she does.

Just look at the "expired cookie" fiasco from last February--people here had it figured out and a workaround invented while TiVo was still trying to wake up and realize that there was a problem.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #27
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Just look at the "expired cookie" fiasco from last February--people here had it figured out and a workaround invented while TiVo was still trying to wake up and realize that there was a problem.
And then word for word, implement the update as posted to the community...
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
If TiVo had any sense, they'd have someone high up in CS monitoring this site even more closely than she does.

What was the "expired cookie" fiasco?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
SNJpage1

DCIFTHS, because of a date in the programing of Tivo Desktop, it caused a problem where you couldn't transfer programs from your Tivo to the computer. Every one had to go in and edit a file in the software.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #30
Dr_Zoidberg

When I purchased Lifetime for my XL4, they allowed me to get Lifetime for my HD for $99.
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote