TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #31
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Looks correct except for the bogus HD tech fee, which some areas get hit for cards and some don't (we don't have it for cards only in the ATL). I would ask them to take it off since you don't have any of their HD boxes, but don't be surprised if they refuse. The A/O fee is for your second card and you're getting credits for both of them so it looks correct.

The digital adapter service is for a DTA you still have left on the account - if you don't have one left, call them and tell them to take it off.

I have 2 cards and returned the last DTA earlier this year, so my bill shows $5 in credits and a $9.95 A/O fee for second card, but no HD tech fee.
Yeah, the "HD technology fee" is frustrating.

As for the DTA charge -- I now remember I did keep one of their small DTA boxes as a backup. I'll have to decide if it's worth $1.99 month -- if not I'll just return it.

Thanks for the info.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #32
jrtroo
User

Why would you need a DTA as a backup? Backup for what?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #33
KevinG

Is there some secret phrase that you have to tell comcast to get them to treat a series 3 tivo as a SINGLE additional outlet that requires 2 cable cards?

I've got two series 3 tivos, so I'm paying $40 in additional outlet fees (though that includes the cable cards). I'm also credited back $2.50 for each card. So it ends up being $30 (or $15 per series 3 tivo).
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #34
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Why would you need a DTA as a backup? Backup for what?
I guess I was thinking that if my Roamio or one of my two Minis failed I could use the DTA until I replaced the failed unit. I'm a new TiVo owner -- maybe I'll feel differently once I have more experience and feel the hardware is long-term trustworthy.

I guess I should see how many channels I get by just connecting the coax cable right to my TV -- even if it's just the basic channels that would be good enough.

It seems to me, as an IT guy, that TiVo is much like Apple -- they make products that people want to buy -- and will pay a premium for. Comcast is much like Microsoft...products you use because you have to -- your boss puts a Windows box on your desktop.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
jrtroo
User

You will probably get zero channels at the tv without a box. Comcast normally provided the DTA for 24-36 months free after going 100% digital, then started to charge.

Tivos are reliable and rarely have issues (now that hard drives are easily replaced, things are better than ever), so I'm not sure why you would look to pay a $2/month insurance policy. If you were to ever need one, then just get pick it up then and save a few bucks. But, that is clearly your prerogative.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #36
L David Matheny

Quote:
Looks correct except for the bogus HD tech fee, which some areas get hit for cards and some don't (we don't have it for cards only in the ATL). I would ask them to take it off since you don't have any of their HD boxes, but don't be surprised if they refuse.
Cable companies have a creative way of looking at charges. The HD technology fee is their way of charging you extra for delivering whole TV channels. It would be like when you order a pizza and complain that there are a couple of slices missing, the pizza delivery guy could say, "Sorry, but you didn't pay our Complete Pizza fee".
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #37
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You will probably get zero channels at the tv without a box. Comcast normally provided the DTA for 24-36 months free after going 100% digital, then started to charge.

Tivos are reliable and rarely have issues (now that hard drives are easily replaced, things are better than ever), so I'm not sure why you would look to pay a $2/month insurance policy. If you were to ever need one, then just get pick it up then and save a few bucks. But, that is clearly your prerogative.
I suspected all the channels were encrypted.

Yeah, you're right. I'm sure I'll return the DTA.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #38
Big Boy Laroux

Yep, I recently went through the HD Technology Fee discussion with comcast. Their response was that even though I don't use one of their boxes, I still receive their HD channels via CableCard, so have to pay the HD Technology fee.

Stupid charge.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #39
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

I was wondering about the credit for customer owned equipment and found this on Comcast's web site:

Comcast provides a credit to customers who have an activated CableCARD installed in a customer-owned device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD-equipped television) or customers that own a qualifying converter (See Customer Owned Equipment Policy) if the customer subscribes to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service. Customers who qualify will receive a monthly credit of $2.50 for each qualifying activated CableCard device or converter.

I'm curious about the "includes equipment" phrase. Right now I still have one DTA and am being charged $1.99/month. All my other equipment is TiVo. If I return the DTA, to save $1.99/month, will I lose my $5.00/month credit (for two CableCards) since I don't have any Comcast equipment?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
jrtroo
User

No, the cablecard is a credit due to the outlet charge covering that fee. It will continue.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #41
Beryl

The only think consistent about Comcast billing is its inconsistency.

They often try to add the HD technology fee. Sometimes you can get them to take it off and sometimes you can't. The M-Card charges are all over the board.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
isilv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
I'm curious about the "includes equipment" phrase. Right now I still have one DTA and am being charged $1.99/month. All my other equipment is TiVo. If I return the DTA, to save $1.99/month, will I lose my $5.00/month credit (for two CableCards) since I don't have any Comcast equipment?
Correct me if I'm wrong but it says "if you subscribe to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as part of a service" than they have to pay you for having your own equipment. It may be worded like that so basic cable subscribers don't get a credit.
isilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #43
isilv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Yep, I recently went through the HD Technology Fee discussion with comcast. Their response was that even though I don't use one of their boxes, I still receive their HD channels via CableCard, so have to pay the HD Technology fee.

Stupid charge.
Comcast doesn't charge me an HD tech fee, even when I had two TiVo's in my account. I would be pissed if they started charging me as well.
isilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #44
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by isilv View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it says "if you subscribe to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as part of a service" than they have to pay you for having your own equipment. It may be worded like that so basic cable subscribers don't get a credit.
We have evidence some regions charge the HD technology fee and some don't, so I don't know what'll happen when I return my last piece of Comcast equipment (a DTA).

I reread the paragraph about customer owned equipment, perhaps this is pertinent: Comcast provides a credit to customers who have an activated CableCARD installed in a customer-owned device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD-equipped television) or...

Perhaps the "or" is important. Customers that have an activated CableCard device OR own a qualifying converter get the credit for customer owned equipment.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #45
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Returning the DTA will have nothing to do with the HD tech fee, because your DTA is not an HD box. It's something you have to fight with them as a separate issue unfortunately, and I would escalate to corporate if they refuse to take it off. But again, don't be surprised if they refuse. Your credits also won't change with DTA return.

Comcast card billing is a joke and always has been, but multiple FCC complaints have been filed with little change other than to (mostly) enforce the BS additional outlet fee for extra cards instead of a simple rental charge as every other cableCo does.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #46
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Returning the DTA will have nothing to do with the HD tech fee, because your DTA is not an HD box. It's something you have to fight with them as a separate issue unfortunately, and I would escalate to corporate if they refuse to take it off. But again, don't be surprised if they refuse. Your credits also won't change with DTA return.

Comcast card billing is a joke and always has been, but multiple FCC complaints have been filed with little change other than to (mostly) enforce the BS additional outlet fee for extra cards instead of a simple rental charge as every other cableCo does.
I wasn't clear -- I wasn't saying that returning the DTA would affect the HD tech fee. I had been thinking that returning the DTA would stop the customer owned equipment credit -- but poster's here say that credit will continue -- and finding the "or" in the Comcast blurb also makes me think the credit will continue.

I hear ya on Comcast billing. I'll have to give them a bit of credit though -- other than the incomprehensible section on partial charges and credits (due to returning their equipment and getting two cable cards) the main section on charges was correct and easy to read. Even though the HD tech fee is maddening. ;-)
Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #47
HarperVision

I remember when I had comcast in PA and picked up cablecards, I just told them I didn't want HD service and that I didn't care (played apathetic) and when I would plug in the cablecards and they'd activate my programming, I always just got the HD equivalents of the channels I was paying for, and even some that I wasn't! It didn't appear to me that they even had a way of turning off the HD channel equivalents even if they wanted to. It sounds like a bogus charge to take more money from you, if you ask me!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #48
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Is there some secret phrase that you have to tell comcast to get them to treat a series 3 tivo as a SINGLE additional outlet that requires 2 cable cards?
Look at the price list included in some billing statements:
CableCARD (second card in same device): $1.50

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ng-a-cablecard
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #49
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I remember when I had comcast in PA and picked up cablecards, I just told them I didn't want HD service and that I didn't care (played apathetic) and when I would plug in the cablecards and they'd activate my programming, I always just got the HD equivalents of the channels I was paying for, and even some that I wasn't! It didn't appear to me that they even had a way of turning off the HD channel equivalents even if they wanted to. It sounds like a bogus charge to take more money from you, if you ask me!
That is correct for most card-only Comcast customers, and is the reason why folks should vigorously pursue removal of the BS tech fee if they don't have their boxes. I have seen a few folks in some areas (I think Chicago is one) post that HD channels would not work with cards without the fee however.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #50
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Look at the price list included in some billing statements:
CableCARD (second card in same device): $1.50

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ng-a-cablecard
Yes, but that doesn't really say anything about the additional outlet fee ($9.95).

What I want to know is should my series 3 tivo account for 2 additional outlet fees? In my case, I'm not being charges at all (they are not itemized) for my 4 cable cards (in 2 series 3s). But I am being charged for 4 additional outlets. Should I be able to get that down to two additional outlets (one per series 3), which an extra $1.50 for each one as a "second card in same device?"
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #51
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Should I be able to get that down to two additional outlets (one per series 3), which an extra $1.50 for each one as a "second card in same device?"
That's how it's supposed to work. If each CableCard is treated as a separate outlet no matter what, then there is no need for this "second card in same device" fee.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #52
jmpage2

Ugh. Don't do what I did. Due to this thread I audited my bill and discovered that Comcast was charging me $1.50 for a second cable card I returned months ago. 5 minutes on chat with Comcast to remove that charge. 8 hours and counting trying to fix them messing up my cablecard. Finally it's mostly working again but I lost On Demand. Comcast sucks.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #53
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Ugh. Don't do what I did. Due to this thread I audited my bill and discovered that Comcast was charging me $1.50 for a second cable card I returned months ago. 5 minutes on chat with Comcast to remove that charge. 8 hours and counting trying to fix them messing up my cablecard. Finally it's mostly working again but I lost On Demand. Comcast sucks.
I think a similar thing happened to me. Had received two CableCards to activate a 2nd Roamio Plus (because I was worried one or both of the CableCards would be defective). Sure enough, the first CableCard I inserted did not work. Second one worked.

So I returned the defective card. A few hours later one of our two TiVo's stopped working and I had to call and have its card re-activated. Was it a coincidence? Probably not...

It didn't take 8 hours though -- maybe you called the regular Comcast number and not the CableCard number?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #54
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
That's how it's supposed to work. If each CableCard is treated as a separate outlet no matter what, then there is no need for this "second card in same device" fee.
Agreed. So what do I say to comcast to get them to change this?

I think, on average, I spend 2 hours per month on the phone with comcast. Seriously.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #55
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
I think a similar thing happened to me. Had received two CableCards to activate a 2nd Roamio Plus (because I was worried one or both of the CableCards would be defective). Sure enough, the first CableCard I inserted did not work. Second one worked.

So I returned the defective card. A few hours later one of our two TiVo's stopped working and I had to call and have its card re-activated. Was it a coincidence? Probably not...

It didn't take 8 hours though -- maybe you called the regular Comcast number and not the CableCard number?
I talked to both regular tech support and the cable-card special line. The cable-card folks re-verified all the device serial numbers and said they re-sent the pairing signal, which seemed to clean up the signal error (V53 error) I was seeing on some channels, but it did not clear up the On Demand being broken.

I called them back and asked them if the TiVo Premiere option was still selected on my account and they confirmed yes it is.

Their latest suggestion is if it is still not working for me to have a truck rolled or go to a Comcast location and swap the m-card out. The m-card that was working completely fine before they screwed with it.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #56
kbmb

Quote:
Their latest suggestion is if it is still not working for me to have a truck rolled or go to a Comcast location and swap the m-card out. The m-card that was working completely fine before they screwed with it.
Oh yeah a truck roll....that'll help. Instead of having a clueless person on the phone, now you'll have one in your living room, costing you $30 bucks for the visit. Maybe you can have him over for dinner and make a night of it!

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #57
prisk

In my area (Chicago) the first device is free (you get a box or CC free). Then they charge for each additional device. Where they got confused is that my first device was a TiVo S3, which has 2 cards. The first was free, the second $1.15. What they did instead was give the first box for free, then charge $9.95 for both CC's in the Tivo S3. It was a net of about $8, but on principle it sucked. They rearranged the fee structure to maximize profit. When I called them on this they said, basically, that the 1st Cc free, 2nd at a discount, doesn't apply if you have other devices. Kind of like saying, "Buy a big mac, second free. Unless you get fries, then the fries are free and the Big Mac is full price." They made it up as they went along. Or it was an internal policy, but conflicted with their printed policy on their web site. Here is the link: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ut-cablecards/ and the actual text:

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD-equipped televisions) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (e.g., TiVo Series 3 boxes), there is a nominal fee for the additional card. Check your local market pricing for this information. Again, this only applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.

Interestingly, they charged an HD Technology fee ($16.95) only if you had an HD box. I had 2 SD boxes and 2 HD TiVos with cablecards, but they didn't charge a HD fee, since the CC's aren't by definition "HD equipment." Once I go to a Roamio plus 3 Mini's the "Additional Outlet Fees" all disappear, since all they will see is a single TiVo with one CC. A single outlet, as far as they are concerned, and the first one is free.
prisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #58
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Oh yeah a truck roll....that'll help. Instead of having a clueless person on the phone, now you'll have one in your living room, costing you $30 bucks for the visit. Maybe you can have him over for dinner and make a night of it!

-Kevin
Well I just checked it this AM and magically it is now working again. Probably something on their end took a really long time to propagate down to the card.

God what a head-ache. Thankfully I didn't have to replace the card or deal with a technician who bitches incessantly about customers with TiVo boxes, since that's usually how my truck rolls go.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #59
kbmb

Quote:
Well I just checked it this AM and magically it is now working again. Probably something on their end took a really long time to propagate down to the card.

God what a head-ache. Thankfully I didn't have to replace the card or deal with a technician who bitches incessantly about customers with TiVo boxes, since that's usually how my truck rolls go.
8 years ago when they required a truck roll to get a Cablecard, my installer took one look at my TivoHD and said "here, you put it in"!

Needless to say I was glad to, and made sure to call afterwards to get the service fee removed from my account.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #60
rhettf
R3T1CAL

In the Bay area its actually quite reasonable:

No HD Fee
First cable Card Free
Additional cards 1.50 a month
Customer owned Equipment -$2.50 credit

My Bill:

Tenant Premier Package 73.00
Standard Cable 70.49
COE Adjustment -2.50
TV: 140.99
Taxes: 22.51

Total: 163.50

Its still ridiculous but when I used a motorola box I was paying 190 a month.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote