TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #31
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
you do not know for sure if they're wealthy or not.
I know what they pay NFL players, I know Brad sued the NFL for money, and I know he presently works as an ambulance chaser. I mean personal injury attorney. And I know Monica does not work.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
BTW, how is the money paid? I hadn't realized that AGT paid the $1M over a 40 year period... Hadn't really caught that until I watched the credits at the and and I saw that little footnote on the payout.... $25,000 a year is not a huge payout... I assume most will take the current value of the prize which is probably closer to a third of the money (maybe even less after taxes)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Yeah...I can't believe that AGT BS! Imagine having to split that 1/3 between a big group? I guess it's not about the prize but what you can parlay the fame into once the show ends.

I do believe that Survivor is a 1 time payment.
It's misleading and dishonest in my mind...

During the auditions, the judges always ask "what would you do with a million dollars?"... And most (especially the kids) clearly are not aware that the payment will be made over 40 years...

"This money would be life changing..."

"I would buy my mom a mansion..."

And while I admit that for some, $25,000 a year will change their lives because they may have very little... The perception is that the life change would be going from a normal or struggling life to a life of opulence (at least that's the perception I get when I hear some of the contestants try and imagine what it would be like to get that kind of money).
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
It's misleading and dishonest in my mind...

During the auditions, the judges always ask "what would you do with a million dollars?"... And most (especially the kids) clearly are not aware that the payment will be made over 40 years...

"This money would be life changing..."

"I would buy my mom a mansion..."

And while I admit that for some, $25,000 a year will change their lives because they may have very little... The perception is that the life change would be going from a normal or struggling life to a life of opulence (at least that's the perception I get when I hear some of the contestants try and imagine what it would be like to get that kind of money).
I believe that debate already exists in the AGT thread ;
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
hairyblue
A good Man

I agree that shows like TAR and Survivor should have players on who really need the money. This is a chance for these people to change their life. I wouldn't want to see someone rich get a million and yawn and say throw this on the pile with the other millions.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
stellie93

So no millionaires. What about upper middle class--a couple who both have good jobs? Or should they only have unemployed models on?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #36
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I couldn't care less how much money contestants have or don't have. I want them to cast interesting and capable players who will make an ensemble that can entertain me.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #37
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I couldn't care less how much money contestants have or don't have. I want them to cast interesting and capable players who will make an ensemble that can entertain me.
this, screw the rest. I just want to be entertained.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #38
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I know what they pay NFL players, I know Brad sued the NFL for money, and I know he presently works as an ambulance chaser. I mean personal injury attorney. And I know Monica does not work.
Who knows how accurate this website is but they say Culpepper's net worth is $3 million.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...per-net-worth/
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #39
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I think it's a moot question in Brad's case because he was never going to win this season. I don't think the stunt casting players (Brad Culpepper, Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Kent, etc) will ever have a chance unless they play under an alias like Gary Hogeboom did or manage to remain largely unrecognized like Lisa Welchel a couple years ago.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
pmyers

I can't believe that fans of this show would actually care about a player's financial status....crazy! Just keep me entertained...that's all I care about.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I can't believe that fans of this show would actually care about a player's financial status....crazy! Just keep me entertained...that's all I care about.
It depends on how you watch the show I suppose. If you don't want to root for someone and just watch it to be "entertained" than sure. But if that's the case, why not just put actors in and let them act out the show? They can act as whatever character they want to be. I feel, if I am into a show and I have a rooting interest, I want it to be as "real" as possible. I don't want actors or celebrities playing. I want to have the feeling the game is being played "honestly" (by that I don't want it to be manipulated by the production crew and I don't want actors in there playing a part). I'd like to think the player(s) I'm rooting for have some motivation for wanting to win the money (which is why I'd prefer to have "average" people playing the game, not wealthy or celebrities). For me anyway, if I wanted to JUST be entertained, there's lots of other types of shows.

But I get that different players might have different motivations for wanting to win. And wealth in the end shouldn't be a reason why someone should win the game. I just prefer that they are "real" people.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #42
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It depends on how you watch the show I suppose. If you don't want to root for someone and just watch it to be "entertained" than sure. But if that's the case, why not just put actors in and let them act out the show? They can act as whatever character they want to be. I feel, if I am into a show and I have a rooting interest, I want it to be as "real" as possible. I don't want actors or celebrities playing. I want to have the feeling the game is being played "honestly" (by that I don't want it to be manipulated by the production crew and I don't want actors in there playing a part). I'd like to think the player(s) I'm rooting for have some motivation for wanting to win the money (which is why I'd prefer to have "average" people playing the game, not wealthy or celebrities). For me anyway, if I wanted to JUST be entertained, there's lots of other types of shows.

But I get that different players might have different motivations for wanting to win. And wealth in the end shouldn't be a reason why someone should win the game. I just prefer that they are "real" people.
You are mixing issues: You can still have "rich" players that aren't actors or athletes. Would you have a problem with a self-made millionare who "earned" their money? Why?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #43
stellie93

It's ok if Aras's brother the druggie wins because he's wasted a lot of his life, so he has nothing. A guy who goes to school and becomes a doctor, or opens a business and is successful shouldn't be allowed to compete? I want it to be totally based on outwit, outplay, outlast.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #44
hairyblue
A good Man

Maybe we should have Survivor Millionaire. If they win they get the title and a nice sash, and the money can go to a nice charity. <grin>

I'm just saying there are plenty of interesting and entertaining people out there. And winning the money would really change their life. Those are the people I want to see compete and I'd love to root for them.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
Maybe we should have Survivor Millionaire. If they win they get the title and a nice sash, and the money can go to a nice charity. <grin>

I'm just saying there are plenty of interesting and entertaining people out there. And winning the money would really change their life. Those are the people I want to see compete and I'd love to root for them.
putting people on there that are rich and used to being pampered and cottoned to would be fun. As long as they were not able to quit with a huge financial penalty.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #46
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
putting people on there that are rich and used to being pampered and cottoned to would be fun.
We've already had that. I believe the player's name is Colton.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #47
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
We've already had that. I believe the player's name is Colton.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #48
LaurenLMHC

I just think it's ******** that a "regular person" has less than zero percent chance to be on a reality shot. You can't audition without an agent. It would be SO much more interesting and entertaining if the players on the show were (metaphorically) dying to play! Anyone remember season 1 of BB? Now, those were "real people!"
LaurenLMHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #49
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLMHC View Post
I just think it's ******** that a "regular person" has less than zero percent chance to be on a reality shot. You can't audition without an agent. It would be SO much more interesting and entertaining if the players on the show were (metaphorically) dying to play! Anyone remember season 1 of BB? Now, those were "real people!"
I wonder if they really were? Wasn't Rudy recruited? I thought I read that somewhere (maybe another thread here). That said, I agree. One I'd rather REAL people get a shot at the money, instead of wanna be actors, and two, I think the game would be far more unpredictable.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #50
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLMHC View Post
Who says you need an agent? Every year they ask regular viewers to send in audition tapes, and they have a website set up specifically for people to be able to apply:

http://www.cbssurvivorcasting.com/survivor-how-to-apply

The casting people go through thousands of audition tapes for every season, and they apparently feel like they get the best possible mix of people.