TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #31
DarcyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post

Still no word on when remote streaming is going to be activated?
Pretty sure it's the streaming. Probably just need the switch flipped. Maybe even a configuration option from your device prefs screen on the website to allow outside the home streaming.
DarcyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #32
DarcyM

Mini still prompts if your there at 90 mins, and at 95 mins it times out. Seems the 4 hour time out didn't make the release or I am missing something.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #33
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
This update does have some additional hidden goodness for Roamio, but I'm not ready to talk about that yet.
You tease!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #34
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
We will be releasing an update later today for TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini.

Here is a list of some of the changes:
- TiVo Mini now waits 4 hours (instead of 90 minutes) of no remote control activity before prompting the user and then timing out of live TV and showing a screen saver
Um, why not just let the user config what he/she wants instead of deciding what's good for everyone?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #35
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Um, why not just let the user config what he/she wants instead of deciding what's good for everyone?
Seems like a no brainer to me - many shows (like morning news), movies, and sporting events exceed 90 minutes. It's been an annoyance. Frankly, I'd prefer to see no screensaver and never exit to the TiVo home screen. When I turn on the TV, I expect to see TV. But, yeah, my perspective isn't everyone's or yours. So options would be nice, but probably not worth the dev effort for a small behavior that annoys only a few of us (in one direction or the other).
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #36
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Seems like a no brainer to me - many shows (like morning news), movies, and sporting events exceed 90 minutes. It's been an annoyance. Frankly, I'd prefer to see no screensaver and never exit to the TiVo home screen. When I turn on the TV, I expect to see TV. But, yeah, my perspective isn't everyone's or yours. So options would be nice, but probably not worth the dev effort for a small behavior that annoys only a few of us (in one direction or the other).
It would be great if the Mini could detect the TV being turned off and release the tuner. Given the number of HDMI issues TiVo has been correcting I suspect that is a risky approach and we will need to settle for the current longer timeout. I'm guessing that somewhere on the TiVo roadmap is the configurable timeouts. If one of TiVo's MSO partners starts to scream it could get elevated but I'm guessing its a don't cafe for the majority of 6-tuner T6/Plus/Pro users.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #37
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Hi Margret,

We very much appreciate the detailed change log!

~Sam
Couldn't agree more, these are great . Thanks Margret.
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #38
socrplyr

Quote:
I actually think it should go the other way. When you sit down at the main box, it should work exactly like the Mini (releasing the tuner, etc.). I have already had issues where it is recording 5 things (mostly suggestions) and I can't get a tuner with the Mini, because the main DVR is "using" the 6th. I then have to go in and pick a recording to cancel, which frees up a tuner so I can watch live TV. In the same line of thinking, just like the main box, when a Mini requests a tuner, a suggestion should automatically be cancelled. In a household with more than a couple of Minis your suggestion just flat out doesn't work, as there are not enough tuners to permanently give them to each Mini.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
sac84371
Lost In Space

I have the update applied and still it times out at 90min. Just an FYI on the Mini hosted by a Roamio Plus....
sac84371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #40
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
When will the UI's look similar on the Minis and the Roamio (instead of the Minis having the old look)?
It'd be nice if the mini was smart enough to know it was working with a Roamio and use the Roamio's UI theme.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #41
anthonymoody

Yummy! Thanks for keeping us informed Margret.

Now, please launch the App Store!
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #42
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
It would be great if the Mini could detect the TV being turned off and release the tuner. Given the number of HDMI issues TiVo has been correcting I suspect that is a risky approach and we will need to settle for the current longer timeout.
And/or this supports Ben Drawbaugh's desire for HDMI-CEC. Guess that'd be the Mini 2.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
It'd be nice if the mini was smart enough to know it was working with a Roamio and use the Roamio's UI theme.
They are supposed to update the Mini UI to look like the Roamio UI. No idea when that will happen though.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #44
sanyewest

got new Update 20.3.7.1 everything working great, but still no new fimewave upgrade. i do have 5 working tuner n rec on all 5. love my roamio plus great work moargret
sanyewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #45
swerver

Quote:
So options would be nice, but probably not worth the dev effort for a small behavior that annoys only a few of us (in one direction or the other).
Except they already felt it was important enough to spend dev effort - they just didn't really improve anything, just picked a side.
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #46
tcorning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
This is the interesting one. Was the intention to use a single tuner when back-to-back recordings on the same channel overlap but it wasn't working properly and is now fixed? Or was it just a bug and two tuners will be used as usual?
If this is what I'm thinking, here's an example. Have a SP for a show that is on twice in a row on a channel, for example Modern Family in syndication these days. Pad the SP to record a minute over, since the final scene often gets cut off. What I would see was that on the second recording there would be a video/audio glitch at the one minute mark when the first recording would have been ending. So it was using two tuners due to the padding, and something was causing a glitch. It sounds like the glitching is fixed.
tcorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #47
mchief
Morey

Got the update and my signal strength went back to peaked at 100%. Spent hours yesterday with Tivo CSR and Comcast Cable Card folks trying to figure our why 3 tuners died (not authorized message). Tivo says signal too hot. Brought the signal down with splitters to 87-95 on all 6 tuners and within 10 minutes all tuners were working again. Apparently signal strength is a problem. Now back to where I was yesterday. Why would a software update peak the tuners again? More splitters and then attenuators.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #48
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorning View Post
If this is what I'm thinking, here's an example. Have a SP for a show that is on twice in a row on a channel, for example Modern Family in syndication these days. Pad the SP to record a minute over, since the final scene often gets cut off. What I would see was that on the second recording there would be a video/audio glitch at the one minute mark when the first recording would have been ending. So it was using two tuners due to the padding, and something was causing a glitch. It sounds like the glitching is fixed.
If you looked at the tuners prior to the update, Tivo was NOT using a second tuner for the second recording. What is sounds like they were trying to do (and it wasn't working well) was use one tuner and then have the software split the file. This was causing the glitches and the missed recordings.

You can test now.....just set 2 back to back recordings on a single channel with the first overlapping the second. If you watch at the point when the next show starts....if the Tivo uses 2 tuners now, then they changed the behavior.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #49
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
Got the update and my signal strength went back to peaked at 100%. Spent hours yesterday with Tivo CSR and Comcast Cable Card folks trying to figure our why 3 tuners died (not authorized message). Tivo says signal too hot. Brought the signal down with splitters to 87-95 on all 6 tuners and within 10 minutes all tuners were working again. Apparently signal strength is a problem. Now back to where I was yesterday. Why would a software update peak the tuners again? More splitters and then attenuators.
I've seen some weird things with the Tivo reporting signal levels. I'm guessing they are back because of the reboot and the way the tuners read the signal. I have no idea though. I have my experiences in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509154

I saw the other day where I had a few channels show a lower signal level....by just unplugging and plugging in the cable in the basement, magically the signal levels for those channels went back up.

I also don't understand why some people have issues with tuners and 100% signal levels and others don't.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #50
vurbano

hidden goodness? out of network streaming turned on for beta users or by a code?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #51
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Except they already felt it was important enough to spend dev effort - they just didn't really improve anything, just picked a side.
Switching 90 to 240 is not effort.

Adding a new menu and a configurable value is.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #52
jmpage2

Thanks again Margret for keeping us in the know on what the updates contain. Hope you guys (in conjunction with other companies) have some "app goodness" for us before year's end given the under-the-hood horsepower of the new platform.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #53
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
Out of network streaming turned on for beta users or by a code?
Tried it just for kicks, but probably need a new iOS app too.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #54
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
Mini still prompts if your there at 90 mins, and at 95 mins it times out. Seems the 4 hour time out didn't make the release or I am missing something.
Sorry, there is a Service change we forgot to make. It is in process. I will let you know when it is working.
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #55
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Perhaps TiVo could exclude you from this update.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #56
wco81

OK, circumstantial but it looks like my Roamio Plus is no longer downloading a couple of video podcasts that I had as wish lists.

One is The Vergecast and I recovered the one from last week that I had deleted after watching. When I go into it in My Shows, it say I can no longer make this a wish list item.

So the new firmware doesn't support "subscribing" to get these downloaded automatically?

I tried searching (which is how I originally found that they were available through Tivo) and they don't even show up in the search results.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #57
Eradik

Quote:
This update does have some additional hidden goodness for Roamio, but I'm not ready to talk about that yet.
While I doubt it, I'm hoping it's the framework for an Android Stream update....

Thank you for the detailed log. I appreciate it!
Eradik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #58
akaussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
If you looked at the tuners prior to the update, Tivo was NOT using a second tuner for the second recording. What is sounds like they were trying to do (and it wasn't working well) was use one tuner and then have the software split the file. This was causing the glitches and the missed recordings.

You can test now.....just set 2 back to back recordings on a single channel with the first overlapping the second. If you watch at the point when the next show starts....if the Tivo uses 2 tuners now, then they changed the behavior.

-Kevin
As I described in an earlier post Tivo appears to have changed the behavior so now two tuners are used on back to back records on the same channel.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post9860022
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #59
DarcyM

Quote:
Sorry, there is a Service change we forgot to make. It is in process. I will let you know when it is working.
Thanks very much for letting us know when it does go into effect!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #60
moyekj

Quote:
Since it can be set in the back end ideally at some point there should be a setting as part of our account where we can change this through web site to our liking.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote