TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
It's been a while, but rather than start a new thread, I"ll see if this is still active.
Is there any particular reason the basic Roamio doesn't have component video output? I'm not too tech savvy, but I ask because I have an older HDTV and there is only one HDMI input, which now is being used by a blu-Ray player, leaving no room for HDMI output from the Roamio. I could move the player to component, I suppose, if HDMI is the only output to get HD.
Check out item 8202 at monoprice.com. Add HDMI ports to your setup.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
It's been a while, but rather than start a new thread, I"ll see if this is still active.
Is there any particular reason the basic Roamio doesn't have component video output? I'm not too tech savvy, but I ask because I have an older HDTV and there is only one HDMI input, which now is being used by a blu-Ray player, leaving no room for HDMI output from the Roamio. I could move the player to component, I suppose, if HDMI is the only output to get HD.
Get an HDMI switch from Monoprice. That is a much better solution than using analog connections.

EDIT: Whoops! i guess DeltaOne already posted about an HDMi switch.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-17-2013 at 12:26 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post

Is this true? I found 2 of these Red/White/Yellow breakout cables in my 'box of cables' and they worked fine on the mini. They were old cables. I'm not sure where they came from.

There is no breakout cable included with the mini.
Yes it's true there's no cables other than hdmi included with the mini. Also FYI, the red/white/yellow cables aren't component, those are composite and you will NOT get HD from that connection.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yes it's true there's no cables other than hdmi included with the mini. Also FYI, the red/white/yellow cables aren't component, those are composite and you will NOT get HD from that connection.
I meant, is it true that a special cable is required, because that was not my experience.

And the colors don't really mean anything. You can definitely transmit a component HD signal with a Red/Yellow/White cable.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #35
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post

I meant, is it true that a special cable is required, because that was not my experience.

And the colors don't really mean anything. You can definitely transmit a component HD signal with a Red/Yellow/White cable.
But the connection signal itself from the basic Roamio doesn't support component video, only composite and L/R audio.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #36
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Maybe I am confused, but I do not see how the Roamio Basic has Component.

If you look at the Mini it has both A/V (Composite) and Component ports. If you do not have HDMI on your TV, you could use the Component out for HD video and the A/V out for audio. No problem...

On the Roamio Basic, it only appears to have A/V (Composite) which would include: White - Left Channel, Red - Right Channel, yellow - Composite Video

You could do this for either the Mini or the Roamio Basic and it would work just fine @ $5 from Amazon:

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Maybe I am confused, but I do not see how the Roamio Basic has Component.
It doesn't have component, only composite through the breakout cables. The Plus and Pro models have component though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

You could do this for either the Mini or the Roamio Basic and it would work just fine @ $5 from Amazon:
You'd only be able to do that with that breakout cable if the source device (mini, Roamio, etc) has the capability to output an analog component video signal from its hdmi port, similar to a DVI-I connection.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
aghusker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You'd only be able to do that with that breakout cable if the source device (mini, Roamio, etc) has the capability to output an analog component video signal from its hdmi port, similar to a DVI-I connection.
Can anyone with a Mini share if this type of basic HDMI to component/stereo cable (not a conversion box, just a cable) works with Mini?
I'm 90% sure the answer is No, it won't work.

You have to use the breakout cables with mini to get component and sound, I believe.
aghusker is offline   Reply With Quote