TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
drugrep

Comcast M-Card Fee now more than an HD box!!!!

Just got my latest bill from Comcast.

I have 3 HD boxes and 1 M-Card.

I'm getting charged for 2 of the boxes at $9.95 each and the M-Card fee is $11.10! Unbelievable!
Series 1 (Retired)
drugrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugrep View Post
Just got my latest bill from Comcast.

I have 3 HD boxes and 1 M-Card.

I'm getting charged for 2 of the boxes at $9.95 each and the M-Card fee is $11.10! Unbelievable!
What a rip off. That can't be. How can they charge more for the card than a box.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Check- did you have an offsetting credit? Comcast has billing system issues that make cablecard billing uneven and hard to follow at best.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
drugrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Check- did you have an offsetting credit? Comcast has billing system issues that make cablecard billing uneven and hard to follow at best.
I'm not sure, I just see the billing dates for the M-Card are the same as the service, 10/17 - 11/16.
Series 1 (Retired)
Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
kbmb

Wow, where are you located? And what plan are you in?

I'm Comcast New England (in NH). I have Triple Play which gives me their SUPER STELLAR DVR for FREE!

I then have a Cablecard for my Roamio Plus and they list it as this:

Quote:
Digital Additional 10/15 - 11/14 --- $7.45
Outlet Service Charge (with Cablecard)
Includes Customer-owned Video Equipment
Credit.
Not surprising though that Comcast would continue to rip people off.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
drugrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Wow, where are you located? And what plan are you in?

I'm Comcast New England (in NH). I have Triple Play which gives me their SUPER STELLAR DVR for FREE!

I then have a Cablecard for my Roamio Plus and they list it as this:

Not surprising though that Comcast would continue to rip people off.

-Kevin
I'm in Chicago suburbs.

TV is Digital preferred with 1 premium $100.90
Sports package - $9.95
2 additional boxes $19.90
Cable Card $11.10
Streampix $4.99
HD Technology Fee $9.95
Total TV is 156.79 then add:
Performance Internet Service Modem Owned $51.95
Series 1 (Retired)
Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
I'm in Chicago suburbs.

TV is Digital preferred with 1 premium $100.90
Sports package - $9.95
2 additional boxes $19.90
Cable Card $11.10
Streampix $4.99
HD Technology Fee $9.95
Total TV is 156.79 then add:
Performance Internet Service Modem Owned $51.95
I love the HD Technology Fee!!! Man I hate cable companies! They are like that guy in the Lorax that charges for air.

Have you ever looked at getting into a bundle to see what that price is? I know that's why I signed up for Triple Play even though I don't use the phone (don't even have a phone hooked up). It's still cheaper than putting everything together.

That still likely won't reduce the cablecard fee.....and that's crazy they charge that much!

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Here we get the stupid HD technology fee, with a piddly offsetting credit for user-owned equipment.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Ummmm ... isn't the first CableCARD free with Comcast? Or am I living in some past reality?

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Ummmm ... isn't the first CableCARD free with Comcast? Or am I living in some past reality?
It's only free when you don't have any other boxes on your account. My parents only have 2 Tivos.....each with an M-card. The first is free, the second is not. For me....they consider the Comcast box the first box and the cablecard the additional outlet.

They also like to label it Additional Outlet, like they somehow need to provide some extra services to get the cable signal to the outlet which is already wired.

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
jmpage2

I checked my account online the other day and saw that the HD Tech Fee was there again at $10... even though I had not seen it on my bill lately.

Honestly Comcast are complete and utter idiots with this billing mess they've created. I imagine at some point it will result in some kind of class action lawsuit due to them mis-leading customers (advertising package prices and then tacking on HD tech fee for example).
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
It's only free when you don't have any other boxes on your account. My parents only have 2 Tivos.....each with an M-card. The first is free, the second is not. For me....they consider the Comcast box the first box and the cablecard the additional outlet.

They also like to label it Additional Outlet, like they somehow need to provide some extra services to get the cable signal to the outlet which is already wired.

-Kevin
Hmmm - I'll need to look into that. Last summer I gave one of my TiVos to my Mom who already had a STB. Picked up a CableCARD from the local Comcast office - installed and activated - no problem. I'm pretty sure that there was no extra charge.

At the time she had a strictly SD channel lineup, so perhaps the lack of HD makes a difference? I'll ask her for a copy of the bill to confirm.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
kbmb

Quote:
Hmmm - I'll need to look into that. Last summer I gave one of my TiVos to my Mom who already had a STB. Picked up a CableCARD from the local Comcast office - installed and activated - no problem. I'm pretty sure that there was no extra charge.

At the time she had a strictly SD channel lineup, so perhaps the lack of HD makes a difference? I'll ask her for a copy of the bill to confirm.
Yeah, take a look. I was always told that if you have a DVR on the account then a cablecard is a second outlet (since technically the Comcast DVR has a cablecard....it's just built in).

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Yeah, take a look. I was always told that if you have a DVR on the account then a cablecard is a second outlet (since technically the Comcast DVR has a cablecard....it's just built in).

-Kevin
No - she has a dumb STB, not a DVR. Perhaps that's the difference.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
kbmb

Quote:
No - she has a dumb STB, not a DVR. Perhaps that's the difference.
That's probably it.

Would be worth checking anyway.....Comcast likes to add on charges little by little without telling you. I recently found out they were charging me for those "free" digital boxes (the tiny ones that allow you to get SD). I got a few back when they made the switch to digital. Well, they have been sitting in the closet for months, only recently did I realize they started charging me for them! And of course the charge started when my bill increased last time (the standard bi-annual cable increase), sneaky!

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
That's probably it.

Would be worth checking anyway.....Comcast likes to add on charges little by little without telling you. I recently found out they were charging me for those "free" digital boxes (the tiny ones that allow you to get SD). I got a few back when they made the switch to digital. Well, they have been sitting in the closet for months, only recently did I realize they started charging me for them! And of course the charge started when my bill increased last time (the standard bi-annual cable increase), sneaky!

-Kevin
<Dice> I hear ya! </Dice>

I'll check - trust me - my Mom cancels her service after Labor Day to save money (Shore house) so if there was something hinkey with the bill I'd hear about it

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
WhiskeyTango

Quote:

-Kevin
The Additional Outlet fee is different from the cable card fee. The AO fee applies to any box/card beyond the first. It doesn't matter what equipment you have (cable card, STB, or DVR). There are separate fees for the card and at least where I am, the first card is free. Additional cards are $1.50.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Every Comcast franchise is just a shade different in their billing practices. It sounds like the original poster should complain, because the cablecard price is including the additional outlet fee (which some franchises do), but he's also getting charged an additional outlet. FCC regulations prohibit charging that much for just the cablecard itself, or at least they used to.

My Comcast bill is very cablecard friendly, but that's not the norm. Still, the cable franchises can't discriminate against outside devices.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #19
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Every Comcast franchise is just a shade different in their billing practices.
Here in Maryland I was told the first cable card is free, additional cable cards are $7.50 each. Seems hard to understand, but I believe you're right that Comcast pricing can vary by region.

We're a bit less than a month in as TiVo and cable card users, so I haven't received an adjusted bill from Comcast yet.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
uw69

I'm impressed many folks can understand the Comcast bill, the only bill more confusing to me was my old AT&T cell phone bill!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Here in Maryland I was told the first cable card is free, additional cable cards are $7.50 each. Seems hard to understand, but I believe you're right that Comcast pricing can vary by region.

We're a bit less than a month in as TiVo and cable card users, so I haven't received an adjusted bill from Comcast yet.
Yes, I'm less than 20 miles away from you, but I've had cable cards for 7 years and have 5 of them now, and have never been charged anything for them.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I'm impressed many folks can understand the Comcast bill, the only bill more confusing to me was my old AT&T cell phone bill!
The current Comcast bills are actually pretty easy to read. At least the one we get in this region is.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Yes, I'm less than 20 miles away from you, but I've had cable cards for 7 years and have 5 of them now, and have never been charged anything for them.
Before returning my Comcast set top boxes I logged in to their web site and found a place where it lists the equipment you have. There were two or three items there I didn't have -- so I was expecting big problems. I suspect they were old model DVRs we had returned for new models.

The list must have been out of date. The last thing I had the customer service rep do was verify that my account didn't list any set top boxes or remotes. And that the only Comcast equipment I had was two CableCards. So I'm hopeful my next bill will be correct.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
brianric

Quote:
Here is my setup from Comcast Philly.

Limited Basic Only
09/23 10/22 $1.00
Digital Converter
($0.60 Less $0.10 BPU credit until 12/31/13)
2@ $0.50 each
-
TiVoCableCard
09/23 10/22 $0.00
2@ $0.00 each
-
Customer-Owned Equipment
09/23 10/22 -$5.00
2@ -$2.50 each
-$4.00

I have a Premiere XL and a Roamio Pro.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
isilv

Quote:
I'm in Chicago suburbs.
I'm also in Chicago suburbs and here is how Comcast charges me:
XFINITY Bundled Services
Preferred Xf Double Play$137.85
Service Discount($57.86)
Additional XFINITY TV Services
Cablecard$0.00
Additional XFINITY Internet Services
Blast$10.00
Service Discount($10.00)
Other Charges & Credits
Customer Owned Equipment - Adjustment($2.50)
Taxes, Surcharges & Fees
TV
Franchise Fee$1.57
FCC Fee $0.08
Total $79.14

I have the preferred package with blast(50Mbps) internet, with my own equipment.
isilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
HazelW

Generally, Comcast charges you about $9.95 for each outlet after the first one. They will give you a set top box OR a cable card for no charge to use on that outlet. If it is a cable card, you get a $2.50 rebate for using your own set top box. If the TiVo takes two cable cards, they charge about $1.15 for the second card.

So if you are getting the cable card for free and no charge for the outlet, consider yourself lucky and hope they don't audit your account.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
HarperVision

The answer to all this is just get one main server TiVo and then a bunch of minis, using only one cablecard.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
swerver

Quote:
That's probably it.

-Kevin
I had the same problem. Those boxes were given out free, then years later they start charging for them. It sounds made up and laughable that a company would actually do that, but here we are. I had only used them for a short while and that was years ago. I had them send me a box to ship them back in. I'm glad I could find them, otherwise they wanted $40 each to take the monthly $2 each off my bill. Then, after sending them back, and waiting several weeks, they were STILL ON MY BILL! It sounds ridiculous, but I actually had to call back and instruct them to stop charging me for equipment that was never supposed to have a charge in the first place, and that I didn't even have anymore!
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #29
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

My Comcast bill arrived. Seems to be correct, but I have two questions.

There's a whole page of "partial month" charges because I returned 2 DVRs and 2 DTAs. And picked up two CableCards. I guess this part is correct...it's pretty hard to follow.

Aside from the normal charges for channel packages and Internet, I see:

customer owned equipment, 2 @ 2.50 each; -$5.00 (this is a credit)
additional outlet service $9.95
HD technology fee $9.95
digital adapter service $1.99
CableCard 1st card in device $0.00

I've read about the credit for customer owned equipment but don't understand why they do that.

1) Is the additional outlet service charge because they know I have two TiVo's?

2) And what is the digital adapter service charge for?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #30
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Looks correct except for the bogus HD tech fee, which some areas get hit for cards and some don't (we don't have it for cards only in the ATL). I would ask them to take it off since you don't have any of their HD boxes, but don't be surprised if they refuse. The A/O fee is for your second card and you're getting credits for both of them so it looks correct.

The digital adapter service is for a DTA you still have left on the account - if you don't have one left, call them and tell them to take it off.

I have 2 cards and returned the last DTA earlier this year, so my bill shows $5 in credits and a $9.95 A/O fee for second card, but no HD tech fee.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote