TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
hybucket

Component video outputs?

I was checking the Roamio specs, and notice there appears not to be a component video output on the basic Roamio. Can that be correct? So the only way to hook up the video is with an HDMI? I have an older TV with only one HDMI connector, and it is being used by my blu-Ray DVD player. I'm currently using the component connection on my TiVO HD. Am I correct?
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
I was checking the Roamio specs, and notice there appears not to be a component video output on the basic Roamio. Can that be correct? So the only way to hook up the video is with an HDMI? I have an older TV with only one HDMI connector, and it is being used by my blu-Ray DVD player. I'm currently using the component connection on my TiVO HD. Am I correct?
Correct, no component on any of the Roamio's. -- I was wrong about this.

I would suggest a new TV

Or you could either manually unplug the HDMI to the TV input....or look into an HDMI switch.

EDIT: Sorry...I was wrong above. HDMI only on the basic. The Plus/Pro have HDMI, Component and Composite

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb : 10-16-2013 at 05:07 PM.
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Correct, no component on any of the Roamio's.
Actually, the Plus and Pro models have component video + stereo outputs, the Basic has an "A/V" output that can be used with a breakout cable for composite only. I'm using my Pro component output to feed my Slingbox 350.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Actually, the Plus and Pro models have component video + stereo outputs, the Basic has an "A/V" output that can be used with a breakout cable for composite only.
Here I am with a Roamio Plus and sure enough it has component. Only HDMI/composite on the basic.

Sorry for the misinformation.

http://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/welc...ere_poster.pdf

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb : 10-16-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
hybucket

Quote:
Here I am with a Roamio Plus and sure enough it has component. Only HDMI/composite on the basic.

Sorry for the misinformation.

-Kevin
Thanks for the info...I took a look at the back of the basic unit...it appears that the composite output is marked A/V. How would you hook up audio with that one connection? I have my current TiVO HD hooked up to an audio receiver to output cable music stations to other rooms. How would I do that with only one connection (silly questions abound...)?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
kbmb

Quote:
Thanks for the info...I took a look at the back of the basic unit...it appears that the composite output is marked A/V. How would you hook up audio with that one connection? I have my current TiVO HD hooked up to an audio receiver to output cable music stations to other rooms. How would I do that with only one connection (silly questions abound...)?
Do you not want to use the Digital Audio (Optical) out for audio? Or maybe you can't?

For using the A/V connection, Tivo does sell a breakout kit that will take that 1 connection to either composite with audio or just component video:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

-Kevin
Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
jmpage2

Quote:
Have you thought about buying a cheap HDMI switch? Then you don't have to worry about component video.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
hybucket

Quote:
Do you not want to use the Digital Audio (Optical) out for audio? Or maybe you can't?

For using the A/V connection, Tivo does sell a breakout kit that will take that 1 connection to either composite with audio or just component video:

-Kevin
\

I would (and do now) use the optical for TiVO audio, but I also use the composite audio output - my audio system will not output digital audio.
I checked out the "kit" - it's hard to tell, but, on the audio cord, isn't it simply splitting whatever is being output in two, and wouldn't a cheap-o Radio Shack splitter do the same thing (I would not need video cords)?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Have you thought about buying a cheap HDMI switch? Then you don't have to worry about component video.
Was not aware there was an HDMI "switch." Is it simply a splitter?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
\

I would (and do now) use the optical for TiVO audio, but I also use the composite audio output - my audio system will not output digital audio.
I checked out the "kit" - it's hard to tell, but, on the audio cord, isn't it simply splitting whatever is being output in two, and wouldn't a cheap-o Radio Shack splitter do the same thing (I would not need video cords)?
It splits it into three, not two. You get Audio Left, Audio Right, and composite video.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
HarperVision

Quote:

Was not aware there was an HDMI "switch." Is it simply a splitter?
No it's a switch enabling "switching" between two (or more depending on the switch) sources to one output.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
HarperVision

Quote:

-Kevin
The AV connection on the basic is composite video and left/right audio only. It does not output component video. Only the mini has 2 separate 1/8" breakout jacks, one for composite with audio (yellow) and the other for component (green).
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
The AV connection on the basic is composite video and left/right audio only. It does not output component video. Only the mini has 2 separate 1/8" breakout jacks, one for composite with audio (yellow) and the other for component (green).
After looking at the start sheet, it looks like the basic doesn't even have the A/V port....just a composite connection.

So unlike the Mini, the basic can't use the breakout kit. Looks like they assume people would use either HDMI or if needed the optical for audio.

-Kevin
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
HarperVision

Quote:

After looking at the start sheet, it looks like the basic doesn't even have the A/V port....just a composite connection.

So unlike the Mini, the basic can't use the breakout kit. Looks like they assume people would use either HDMI or if needed the optical for audio.

-Kevin
The composite output they're talking about IS the AV port!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
The composite output they're talking about IS the AV port!
Yeah what's confusing is the Tivo Start Guide I posted the link for above. That shows it labeled as a Composite port, not A/V, which I assumed was the typical yellow video connection.

But the images I see online from other sites that show the actual Tivo show it labeled as an A/V port and it's the 1/8" jack.

-Kevin