TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Gasturbine

TiVo with Time Warner cable?

Hi Guys.

Its been a long time since Ive been here...I moved to the country about 4 years ago, and got a DirecTV HD Tivo. I am now moving back to the city and Time Warner is my cable provider. They want to charge $15 per month for their HD DVR. I saw series 4 "lifetime" TiVo HD DVRs that claim they are cable compatible.

I have read many stickys and used the search function, but Im still not clear on how this works, and what actual equipment do I need. I just confused.

Can someone explain what I need to get to have a functioning HD DVR on cable?

Thanks!
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Need to know what TWC region you are in, mainly to determine whether you will need a Tuning Adapter to receive SDV channels. Many TWC systems put a lot of their HD channels on SDV. Also, knowing the location will allow others on the forum who use TWC in that location to give you specific advice.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Gasturbine

Im in Columbus, Ohio. 43212
Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

We are almost neighbors but in different TWC systems. I also run a Tivo HD. There are several forum members in your region. You will need a CableCARD assuming you have a Tivo HD (Model 652160 or 658xxxx). If you actually have an S3 (model 648250) you will need two CableCARD's. My TWC charges $2.50/mo. for CC's. You will also need another kind of set-top-box called a Tuning Adapter since I'm sure your system uses SDV. TWC will furnish the TA free but don't count on them knowing you need it or the CableCARD(s). You should be able to pick both up at a local TWC store, although you can test your luck by asking them to send them out with the installer. You can self-install these items. The TWC national CableCARD self-install phone number is:
866-606-5889 and you have to read a couple of numbers from your Tivo's menu system to them. The installer may or may not install the CC. Frankly if I had the choice I would opt for self-install since many installers don't have a clue. And they may charge you for it too. If your structure has already had a TWC cable installation you could actually do the complete installation yourself, although they may need to "install" a cable modem assuming you get TWC internet too. And they probably won't allow starting cable service without a service call -- although it really isn't necessary.

I hope your system operates more reliably with a TA than mine does. I have frequent tuning failures and have to power-cycle TA and restart TiVo every 2 or 3 weeks when it loses some or all of the SDV channels.

Brace yourself for dealing with TWC...... Good luck. Actually I have days at a time when my system works well.

and
Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Gasturbine

Thanks for the in depth response!

So let me ask you this, should I simply keep my DirecTV TiVo? My only complaints on it, is bad decoding for surround sound...I get pops and chirps on most 5.1 supported programming, and of course, rain fade.

Those are really my main reasons for switching...sounds like I might just be replacing my problems with other problems, yes?

Oh, and the dealing with TWC have already started...the absolute worst in customer service.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Thanks for the in depth response!

So let me ask you this, should I simply keep my DirecTV TiVo? My only complaints on it, is bad decoding for surround sound...I get pops and chirps on most 5.1 supported programming, and of course, rain fade.

Those are really my main reasons for switching...sounds like I might just be replacing my problems with other problems, yes?

Oh, and the dealing with TWC have already started...the absolute worst in customer service.
Unfortunately, dlfl's response, although informative, isn't really in-depth under the circumstances.

An in-depth response would run to much more than one page.

The TiVos which are digital cable compatible are the three different Series 3 models (the original, often called the S3 OLED, which is the TCD648250, the S3 HD, the TCD652160, and the HD XL, the TCD658000, which looks just like an HD), the various Series 4 models, most of which are named the Premiere something or the other, and the very recently released Series 5 models, the Roamio variations.

And then there are a couple of auxilliary units, the mini and the stream.

(Rather unhelpfully, TiVo put the letters HD on the box of the original S3, and then brought out two more Series 3 platform models and called one the HD and the other the HD XL, so often people talking about them don't realize that each other doesn't know which one the other one is talking about, even though they think that they do.)

The S3s can also do analog cable if there's any of that left on your TWC system, and can do digital broadcast stations as well.

I think one or more of the S4 or S5 models don't do Over The Air, or don't do analog cable, or both, but I haven't memorized which is which.

My experience, and at this point my interest, pretty much stops with S3s.

If you want to get TW's Switched Digital Video channels, you'll need a Tuning Adapter no matter which S3, 4, or 5 you're using, in addition to at least one cable card.

If your DirecTiVo is from the Series 2 era, it (specifically the power supply) may be suffering from "capacitor plague", which has affected S2 and S3 TiVos (and lots of other consumer electronics over the last 10 to 15 years), and if so, it could cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

You should plan to do a lot of reading of old posts here at TCF and make use of the site's search function. And ask questions too.

This wasn't an indepth response either. If it were, I'd still be typing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I just realized GasTurbine seemed to be considering Series 4 (Premiere) models rather than the Series 3 models I discussed. However, what I said about CableCARD and TA requirements also applies to the Premiere models. There is no TiVo model that doesn't require CableCARD to tune digital TV and a TA to get SDV. Only cable co equipment has those functions integrated in.

Any of the Series 3 or 4 models can be used for cable digital TV and/or for (digital) OTA channels if desired. I use my Tivo HD for both cable and OTA. The TiVo Program Guide service nicely integrates the info for both types.

Sorry I can't help you on deciding whether it's better to stay with your DTV Tivo.

and
Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

If he gets a Premier, he'll need an M card. That's all it takes. Won't take two regular cable cards.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote