Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
They were my favs so far.
Ditto.

Major bummer.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
fmowry

The Oklahoma boys were pretty funny on the map challenge forgetting the world was round and then forgetting the zero but still doing it right. But at least they didn't think Magellan used the Panama Canal like the genius Afghanis who thought they'd breeze through the map challenge.

No mention of the taxi screwup causing Amy and her boyfriend first place.

Pinky is bitchy to everyone but she's pretty funny in the interviews. I think she's playing up the bitchiness for the camera.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #33
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
I thought what happened was (and I don't have the episode available at work to double-check ): 1) They ended up leaving Santiago on time or close to it but their flight in Buenos Aires was delayed such that they would have missed the connection in Madrid. 2) They then tried to book spots on the "arrives at noon" itinerary that three teams (at that point, until standby list drama ensued) had booked, but their flight from Buenos Aires to São Paolo to meet up with that itinerary suffered mechanical failure and prevented them reaching the connection in time. 3) They then found a flight from São Paolo via London, and then had the ignominy of their flight in Heathrow *also* being delayed. I could be totally wrong on this, but both my wife and I had the impression I just described, because we talked at the end of the episode that they'd have been better to take the delay in Buenos Aires and get to Madrid even if it put the original connection in jeopardy. We know two other teams ended up on a flight from Madrid that would have been minimally three hours later than their planned flight (given 7 AM vs 10 AM arrival time), and they were only talking that the delay put their connection in trouble rather than making it impossible. In any case, I'm sure flights from Madrid to Lisbon are far more common than even from London, and so they would have had more flexibility there. If you're right that they missed the flight from Buenos Aires to Madrid because of a delay in Santiago, then that obviously totally changes things and they were basically hosed from the get-go on the alternate itinerary. (To add to the travel agent's error, of course.) I'm not sure I can remember a leg in the past where a team should have been first (or at least very close to it, barring how things went down in Lisbon) and instead ended up eliminated through very little fault of their own. I can certainly remember teams that ended up eliminated by bad cabs/flights, but generally not if they would have been in prime position to win the leg. Ah, Amazing Race.... Where a strategy of finishing third-to-last in every leg nets you a million dollars.
I went back and checked and you're right. They had no issues leaving Santiago, but when they got to Buenos Aires, their flight to Madrid was delayed, so they tried to go to São Paulo to catch up with the other teams, but didn't get there in time.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #34
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
But at least they didn't think Magellan used the Panama Canal like the genius Afghanis who thought they'd breeze through the map challenge.
He sounded serious, but I suspect he was joking.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #35
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
The Oklahoma boys were pretty funny on the map challenge forgetting the world was round and then forgetting the zero but still doing it right. But at least they didn't think Magellan used the Panama Canal like the genius Afghanis who thought they'd breeze through the map challenge.
OMG, I was shocked how stupid some of the teams were (I know I shouldn't be).

How can you come up with ~1,600 miles (even if they are nautical) for a circumnavigation and not know that's way off??? Well, I guess geography and math aren't important to some folks.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
My question for anyone talking about manipulation of non-elim legs: Which brand of time machine do they use to go forward, see which teams are popular, then go back and rewrite the show based on who is popular? This isn't a "live" show like Big Brother, where they could do shenanigans like that. Only if a team is shown in a particularly holy or demonic light (or is consistently holy or demonic, like Colton ) do the producers know what the public will think.
Actually on a pre-recorded show like this, it would be easier to do. They could edit certain teams to be more likable than others, then make an educated guess as to which teams would be more popular and go from there. Again, I'm not saying they did that, or planned to do that, but cutting 24 or more hours into 42 minutes means that you can manipulate all you want to make teams more likable or despicable.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #37
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
He sounded serious, but I suspect he was joking.
Given the eventual outcome of their map endeavor I doubt it.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #38
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
How can you come up with ~1,600 miles (even if they are nautical) for a circumnavigation and not know that's way off??? Well, I guess geography and math aren't important to some folks.
Give the OK guys a break. They realized right away that they left a 0 out. So yes, they made a mistake, but I'll give them a pass (one of them did have a very brief brain fart during the challenge, but he caught himself.)

The Afghani guys and the ice girls on the other hand? I totally agree with you.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
debtoine
WTTWDC

Too bad for the NFL guys. It sucks to be eliminated this way.

But, I knew I'd seen them on TV before (and not playing football). A few years ago they appeared multiple times on the Ellen Degeneres show. I wonder if that helped get them on the race (it probably did).

deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #40
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Actually on a pre-recorded show like this, it would be easier to do. They could edit certain teams to be more likable than others, then make an educated guess as to which teams would be more popular and go from there. Again, I'm not saying they did that, or planned to do that, but cutting 24 or more hours into 42 minutes means that you can manipulate all you want to make teams more likable or despicable.
Except for the fact that there's a million dollars at stake and ANY kind of manipulation, real or perceived, would bring the powers that be crashing down on them like a ton of hot bricks!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Except for the fact that there's a million dollars at stake and ANY kind of manipulation, real or perceived, would bring the powers that be crashing down on them like a ton of hot bricks!
If they can prove it. Obviously, it's only speculation but the viewers that there's any manipulation going on. Unless someone on the "inside" spills the beans, how do you prove it? You can just assume it's clean and move on. And it probably is. I'm just saying it's not all the difficult to do if they wanted to on a taped show.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
NYHeel

The football guys made the biggest mistake in TAR besides not reading the clue. You have to remember to play the game differently in the beginning than the end. In the beginning when there are 8+ teams or so left you just want to stay with the pack as much as possible, especially when you're an athletic team. Worst case scenario you have to beat out a few weak teams in some challenges.

You never take travel risks in the early rounds of TAR. Later when there's less than 6 teams or so you can take the risks because then it's a fight just to avoid being eliminated. In the early rounds it's just don't screw up.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #43
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
If they can prove it. Obviously, it's only speculation but the viewers that there's any manipulation going on. Unless someone on the "inside" spills the beans, how do you prove it? You can just assume it's clean and move on. And it probably is. I'm just saying it's not all the difficult to do if they wanted to on a taped show.
The company I work for has a whole department of people who audit our business practices constantly to make sure we aren't violating laws or regulations and we are a LOT smaller than a national television network. I would be willing to bet CBS has a risk/governance department that would have a conniption fit if anyone even jokingly suggested rigging the contest in any substantial way.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #44
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

While I was in London, I went to the taping of a celebrity edition of a quiz show (The Chase) where all the winnings went to charity. There were several occasions where they had to re-record segments of the show and some that resulted in different amounts being won.

They went to great lengths to explain the differences and why they occurred. They also told us that the show was constantly audited and ANY impropriety would cause major problems.

This all stems back to the '21' fixing back in the 60's and makes sure that nothing is done to affect the outcome.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
The company I work for has a whole department of people who audit our business practices constantly to make sure we aren't violating laws or regulations and we are a LOT smaller than a national television network. I would be willing to bet CBS has a risk/governance department that would have a conniption fit if anyone even jokingly suggested rigging the contest in any substantial way.
I'm sure you're right. I was only responding to the comment that says that this incident was "proof" they the show isn't manipulated. I'm just saying that it proves nothing really. I've never once said that it is rigged or that I believe it's rigged.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #46
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
While I was in London, I went to the taping of a celebrity edition of a quiz show (The Chase) where all the winnings went to charity. There were several occasions where they had to re-record segments of the show and some that resulted in different amounts being won.

They went to great lengths to explain the differences and why they occurred. They also told us that the show was constantly audited and ANY impropriety would cause major problems.

This all stems back to the '21' fixing back in the 60's and makes sure that nothing is done to affect the outcome.
So, if someone goes in the DR on Big Brother and are asked questions a certain away to illicit certain feelings is that not a form of manipulation? If Jeff Probst asks certain questions which could influence a vote at Tribal Council (and we know he's done that), could that be considered manipulation? I'm not saying there's an easy way to do those sort of things on TAR, but to say there's no influence by the producers on these types of shows is wrong. This is not like giving them the answers to a question. Even if they make a leg a non-elimination round on the fly, that doesn't guarantee anything. The scandal on "21" they out and out gave them the answers to the questions so they would win.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #47
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
So, if someone goes in the DR on Big Brother and are asked questions a certain away to illicit certain feelings is that not a form of manipulation? If Jeff Probst asks certain questions which could influence a vote at Tribal Council (and we know he's done that), could that be considered manipulation? I'm not saying there's an easy way to do those sort of things on TAR, but to say there's no influence by the producers on these types of shows is wrong. This is not like giving them the answers to a question. Even if they make a leg a non-elimination round on the fly, that doesn't guarantee anything. The scandal on "21" they out and out gave them the answers to the questions so they would win.
I think these reality competition shows don't have the same strict guidelines that a quiz-type show would have. Every player understands that there is an imperfect, human component to these games and that winning them will be a mixture of skill, luck, and good timing. So I don't think anyone would be able to claim that they won or lost a reality competition show due to producer manipulation, because that type of producer oversight is understood to be a part of the game from the beginning.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #48
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I have no idea exactly how it works, so I'm not going to get into speculation. All I know for sure is that there are things they can and can't do, and calling a non-elim on the fly would be 'seen' as manipulation and not allowed.

I don't lower myself to watch BB or Survivor, so I can't comment on that.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #49
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
It's called "Standards and Practices," and the last time I was paying attention, they actually have people from other networks doing the job.

However, if you want to get technical, the Federal laws against game show tampering apply only to "contests of intellectual skill". You can't really have laws like that about talent shows, as there has to be some judgment involved. Otherwise, how do you have a show like Hell's Kitchen, where the host makes all of the decisions, including who wins?

"Host involvement" has been a point of contention on Wheel of Fortune pretty much ever since it started. When Chuck Woolery hosted, whenever they had the "final spin of the day," he would aim for the largest money amount, despite the fact that it heavily influences the game in favor of whoever solves the last puzzle; Pat Sajak, on the other hand, has said that he goes for a more "random" spin because he doesn't want to influence the game in this way. (Why they don't just have whoever's turn it is make the final spin, I don't know.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #50
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Is it just me, or did it bother anyone else that so many teams pronounced "Lisbon" as "lizz-BONN"-I mean, Lisbon is a prominent world capitol, and seems like people would know how to pronounce it?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #51
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Is it just me, or did it bother anyone else that so many teams pronounced "Lisbon" as "lizz-BONN"-I mean, Lisbon is a prominent world capitol, and seems like people would know how to pronounce it?
It wasn't just you, though I'm used to teams mangling pronunciation

Still, Lisbon isn't all that hard.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #52
BluesFools

Quote:
Sounded to me like they were saying "Lisboa", which is the Portuguese name.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #53
getbak

I thought any notion that the producers can randomly choose which legs are non-eliminations during the course of the Race would have been dispelled when they the Rockers were saved by a non-elimination after one of them lost his passport in Russia.

If they could choose the non-elimination leg during the leg, they certainly wouldn't have chosen that one because it was a mess, and removed any suspense from the following episode.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #54
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Nah. They're always mispronouncing place names. I guess I'm just used to it.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #55
Bob Coxner

I'm too lazy to research it but my memory says they almost never have non-elim legs this early and certainly not when there's long distance travel involved. If nothing else, the fewer teams they have, the less money it costs to produce. Remember that a "team" is not just the 2 players but also includes a cameraman and soundman for each team. That's a lot of money when teams are buying international travel tickets at walk-up prices. The more teams you can eliminate early the more money you save.

This argument doesn't apply as much if the next leg is entirely in the same country, but that rarely happens early in the race.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #56
Jayjoans

We chuckled that it seemed like Portugal was every racer's dream destination. I don't think it would matter what the clue said when they opened it, the racers are predisposed to be over the moon about the location. I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever met anybody that feels their dream vacation is in Portugal.

I'm sure it's very nice there and filled with cool and historic things, my point is that it's WAY down the list for most people, and I'm confident none of these racers gave Portugal a second thought prior to the race.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #57
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Prominent world capital, yes, but if you had first asked the teams "Lisbon is the capital of what country?" I bet you'd have gotten a lot of wrong answers.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #58
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
We chuckled that it seemed like Portugal was every racer's dream destination. I don't think it would matter what the clue said when they opened it, the racers are predisposed to be over the moon about the location. I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever met anybody that feels their dream vacation is in Portugal.

I'm sure it's very nice there and filled with cool and historic things, my point is that it's WAY down the list for most people, and I'm confident none of these racers gave Portugal a second thought prior to the race.
Yeah, I didn't think much of it when the first team got excited about Portugal, but after that I was like, "Is there something really exciting about Portugal I don't know about?"
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #59
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
Yeah, I didn't think much of it when the first team got excited about Portugal, but after that I was like, "Is there something really exciting about Portugal I don't know about?"
If you're in the Navy paying a visit to Lisbon.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #60
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
It's called "Standards and Practices," and the last time I was paying attention, they actually have people from other networks doing the job.
Most game shows these days have outside companies acting as their watchdog, rather than representatives from a TV network -- the big one is called Sullivan Compliance.