TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #31
TiVoMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
It could be, because they are both very popular shows, and since you need a tuning adapter to tune, that AMC is of course an SDV channel. That being said, my theory on what's happening is there are too many people tuning in for the show in your area and the head end can only support so many concurrent connections being streamed onto their network at the same time, and you lose out. That's the whole point of SDV. It's so they don't have to have that channel, and all their SDV channels, broadcasting full time in order to save bandwidth. They're banking on not everyone tuning in at the same time.

It wouldn't surprise me if their STBs take precedence over cable cards when tuning into these channels as well. Just another reason to piss off the customer trying to use their own cable device enough to return it and go back to the crappy cable co's equipment and make them more $$$.

.....just a thought.
That's not how SDV works at all. SDV is a bandwidth saving tool so that they can add more channels to each viewing area by not streaming channels no one is watching. If someone in your viewing area is already watching Breaking Bad, they have already allocated the bandwidth for it. A million people in your viewing area could watch Breaking Bad because it's already on an assigned QAM channel. Just like a regular non-SDV channel.

The only way the screen would be going black because of SDV doing that would be because Breaking Bad is NOT popular enough and everyone in your viewing area tuned away from AMC right when it started and your didn't tune it in time.

If at least one person is tuned to it and got the stream to start, it will be there until the last person tunes away from the channel and on one else tunes to it within 3 minutes.

SDV may be breaking the TiVo tuning in a different way, but it's not because a show is too popular. That is the whole idea behind SDV, to serve the most popular channels and clear out the bandwidth of the channels no one is watching. Only the fringe channels that barely anyone watches will ever get pruned and possibly have no QAM channel to be assigned to.
TiVoMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #32
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMonkey View Post

That's not how SDV works at all. SDV is a bandwidth saving tool so that they can add more channels to each viewing area by not streaming channels no one is watching. If someone in your viewing area is already watching Breaking Bad, they have already allocated the bandwidth for it. A million people in your viewing area could watch Breaking Bad because it's already on an assigned QAM channel. Just like a regular non-SDV channel.

The only way the screen would be going black because of SDV doing that would be because Breaking Bad is NOT popular enough and everyone in your viewing area tuned away from AMC right when it started and your didn't tune it in time.

If at least one person is tuned to it and got the stream to start, it will be there until the last person tunes away from the channel and on one else tunes to it within 3 minutes.

SDV may be breaking the TiVo tuning in a different way, but it's not because a show is too popular. That is the whole idea behind SDV, to serve the most popular channels and clear out the bandwidth of the channels no one is watching. Only the fringe channels that barely anyone watches will ever get pruned and possibly have no QAM channel to be assigned to.
OK thanks for the explanation. I don't have time to research now but I will to get a better handle on it. Do you have any links to validate? That'll make it a little easier for me.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #33
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
OK thanks for the explanation. I don't have time to research now but I will to get a better handle on it. Do you have any links to validate? That'll make it a little easier for me.
All the posts by lrhorer in the following thread are some of the best SDV info.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=479999

The WIKI page is not bad either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
BrianMundt

Quote:

I'm not too familiar with the workings of SDV, but I can communicate what I was told by the CC hotline, whether or not there's any truth to it.

In short, they told me that their network was having difficulty handling the large amount of requests for the channel (in this case, AMC), and that the only thing I could do was to rent a TWC DVR.
BrianMundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #35
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post
I'm not too familiar with the workings of SDV, but I can communicate what I was told by the CC hotline, whether or not there's any truth to it.

In short, they told me that their network was having difficulty handling the large amount of requests for the channel (in this case, AMC), and that the only thing I could do was to rent a TWC DVR.
If that's the case, you should file a complaint with the FCC. Treating CableCard+Tuning Adapter different from a Two-way receiver would be akin a prioritizing TCP/IP packets to punish you for using another service provider for VOD (E.g. Netflix). Think net neutrality regulation (although its probably not legally the same). If true, its complete B.S.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #36
HarperVision

Quote:

Now that's more the way I understood it to work and the gist of what I was getting at earlier. Oh well, time for more research.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #37
jwbelcher

Quote:
Now that's more the way I understood it to work and the gist of what I was getting at earlier. Oh well, time for more research.
The problem with the theory is that your TWC box must request the SDV channel the same way as the tuning adapter. SDV channels are switched no matter the platform. If was a throughput issue, the TWC box should have the same results unless they prioritize their box over yours. However, once the channel is being pumped into your neighborhood, any STB can access it once it knows the frequency its being broadcasted. The only difference between their box and Tivo is that their box has 2-way built-in. Their box even has a built in Cablecard (which the FCC required to ensure interoperability). Apparently, the FCC got it right, if you dont make Cable Cos eat their own dog food, as in the case of the tuning adapter, the consumer gets screwed by an unfair playing field.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
BrianMundt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
The problem with the theory is that your TWC box must request the SDV channel the same way as the tuning adapter. SDV channels are switched no matter the platform. If was a throughput issue, the TWC box should have the same results unless they prioritize their box over yours. However, once the channel is being pumped into your neighborhood, any STB can access it once it knows the frequency its being broadcasted. The only difference between their box and Tivo is that their box has 2-way built-in. Their box even has a built in Cablecard (which the FCC required to ensure interoperability). Apparently, the FCC got it right, if you dont make Cable Cos eat their own dog food, as in the case of the tuning adapter, the consumer gets screwed by an unfair playing field.
I called for clarification. They stated that they needed to "prioritize access for their paying DVR customers." Guess my $150/month doesn't cut it.

Again, I don't want to say definitively that this is the case. This is just what I'm being told.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #39
TiVoMonkey

Quote:

Once the SDV channel is assigned a QAM, there should be no tuning issues. A tuning issue would only come into play if people were trying to watch other channels than the ones already assigned QAMs. And there was a capacity issue at the server that is taking tune requests and finding QAMs for the channels.

Using a TWC cable box would not help with that. The customer service person you talked with has no more of an idea how SDV works than you do. Especially since they suggested that.

My TiVo Premiere has this same issue too, always has had it. I don't see how it would be an SDV capacity issue, as I have the blank recording problem at all different times, and unauthorized channel problems all the time. If I tune away and tune back, it is usually fixed.
TiVoMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
BrianMundt

Quote:
Once the SDV channel is assigned a QAM, there should be no tuning issues. A tuning issue would only come into play if people were trying to watch other channels than the ones already assigned QAMs. And there was a capacity issue at the server that is taking tune requests and finding QAMs for the channels.

Using a TWC cable box would not help with that. The customer service person you talked with has no more of an idea how SDV works than you do. Especially since they suggested that.

My TiVo Premiere has this same issue too, always has had it. I don't see how it would be an SDV capacity issue, as I have the blank recording problem at all different times, and unauthorized channel problems all the time. If I tune away and tune back, it is usually fixed.
Well, there's something going on. Both of my TiVos go out at roughly the same time (between 5-10 minutes before the start of Breaking Bad). TWC-supplied DVRs work perfectly.

My friend, who lives about 20 miles from me, has a new Roamio as well as TWC DVR. Guess what? He has the issue with his Tivo but not with the TWC DVR. His TiVo demonstrates the exact behavior as mine.

I've struggled with the blank screens, channel not authorized errors, V52/V53 errors, etc. However, I've never had an issue that's so predictable. It's like clockwork, every single week. And it's not just an isolated issue. That's the only thing that leads me to believe it's a capacity issue, as the CC tech suggested.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #41
jwbelcher

Quote:
What firmware do they have you on?

Mine is
Cablecard : PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601
Tuning Adapter: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #42
HarperVision

Quote:

Well, there's something going on. Both of my TiVos go out at roughly the same time (between 5-10 minutes before the start of Breaking Bad). TWC-supplied DVRs work perfectly.

My friend, who lives about 20 miles from me, has a new Roamio as well as TWC DVR. Guess what? He has the issue with his Tivo but not with the TWC DVR. His TiVo demonstrates the exact behavior as mine.

I've struggled with the blank screens, channel not authorized errors, V52/V53 errors, etc. However, I've never had an issue that's so predictable. It's like clockwork, every single week. And it's not just an isolated issue. That's the only thing that leads me to believe it's a capacity issue, as the CC tech suggested.
"Things that make you go.........Hmmmmmmmm????"
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #43
BrianMundt

Quote:
"Things that make you go.........Hmmmmmmmm????"
No kidding.

The first tech that came to my house (he was an idiot, so I'm taking everything he said with a grain of salt) told me that he has never seen a "stable" tuning adapter/CableCard setup, and that he typically went on service calls, checked levels, and left knowing it the issues would crop up again. He told me there were serious issues with the technology and implementation. The second tech said as much as well. Doesn't inspire too much confidence!

Then, the CC hotline admitting that it was capacity issues (jury's still out on that) and not having any fix... TWC is the first company I've ever encountered that admit's to a serious issue and, in the same sentence, tells me the only solution is to spend more money with them.

That's like a food company poisoning their product and then selling the antidote and a marked-up cost.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #44
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I called for clarification. They stated that they needed to "prioritize access for their paying DVR customers." Guess my $150/month doesn't cut it.

Again, I don't want to say definitively that this is the case. This is just what I'm being told.
Record that conversation, and ask for that explanation in writing, and see what they say.

What they told you is prohibited by the FCC, and is a cause for fines.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-11-1373A1.pdf
What are cable operators required to do? Beginning August 8, 2011, cable operators must:

· Provide accurate information about the capability of retail CableCARD-compatible devices. Cable operators must not
mislead their customers regarding the ability of retail CableCARD-compatible devices to tune switched digital
channels. See 47 C.F.R. § 76.1205(c).

· Ensure access to all linear channels. Consumers have identified problems accessing switched digital channels on their
retail CableCARD-compatible devices.10 Cable operators must ensure that subscribers can use their retail devices
to access all of the linear channels that comprise the cable package to which they subscribe.11 Operators also
must ensure that retail devices can tune at least four simultaneous channels, or as many switched digital channels
as that operator’s most sophisticated operator-supplied set-top box, whichever is greater. See 47 C.F.R. §
76.1205(b)(4).

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #45
jstevenson

had the same issue in LA TWC last Sunday for Breaking Bad. Just didn't tune in at all. Blank / 0 length recording. Showed that it was recording but then there was nothing there.

Haven't really had time to play with it or see if any of the tuners were failing. Though I'm pretty sure I had checked to ensure I could pull six SDV channels prior, so it seems like something else.
jstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #46
mvnuenen
~0.0~

So after a period of no problems, all of the sudden I have difficulties again tuning certain channels (Discovery, IDHD, APLHD and others). I tried to set the Roamio to 4 tuners only (Settings>Channels>Channel List and then entering the code 88634). However, after doing this I do not hear those thumbs up dings. Am I missing something?
mvnuenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
DigitalDawn

Go to live TV and hit info. Go down to the tuner icon and see how many tuners are available. You should see only 4.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #48
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I have TWC and a TA, however I do not have a Roamio. I do have a Premiere XL4 and a 2tuner Premiere. I have also experienced similar frustration with TWC service, be it on the phone or techs in my home.

My XL4 will produce the black screen on occasion, the 2 tuner one has never had this issue.

I know this is not a solution, but it is a "work-around" that works for me. When I get the "black screen" after attempting to tune a channel, I push the INFO button and then go down to see what channels my 4 tuners are currently on. I have found that by changing the 3 tuners I don't intend to use to tune non-SDV channels, the remaining tuner will tune a SDV channel.

For example, I want to watch HGTV (SDV) and select that channel with my TiVo. I receive a black screen. Go to the INFO screen and see that the other 3 tuners are on SDV channels. I select each of these tuners individually, one at a time, and tune them to the local NBC, ABC, and FOX affiliates (non-SDV channels). The remaining tuner, when switched to the HGTV channel (an SDV channel), will display correctly.

There must be some kind of issue with the CC/TA attempting to access multiple SDV channels simultaneously.

I have contemplated ditching the Premieres and moving to a Roamio with Mini, but after reading that the Roamio experiences similar black screen problems as my XL4, I'll wait until I hear TiVo has issued a fix. I'm also waiting to hear if the Roamio out-of-house streaming will be hindered by the same CCI byte issue that prevents me from downloading shows on non-OTA broadcast channels to my mobile devices, as TWC has unnecessarily set the CCI byte. But, that issue is for another thread.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #49
peekb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
I have TWC and a TA, however I do not have a Roamio. I do have a Premiere XL4 and a 2tuner Premiere. I have also experienced similar frustration with TWC service, be it on the phone or techs in my home.

My XL4 will produce the black screen on occasion, the 2 tuner one has never had this issue.

I know this is not a solution, but it is a "work-around" that works for me. When I get the "black screen" after attempting to tune a channel, I push the INFO button and then go down to see what channels my 4 tuners are currently on. I have found that by changing the 3 tuners I don't intend to use to tune non-SDV channels, the remaining tuner will tune a SDV channel.

For example, I want to watch HGTV (SDV) and select that channel with my TiVo. I receive a black screen. Go to the INFO screen and see that the other 3 tuners are on SDV channels. I select each of these tuners individually, one at a time, and tune them to the local NBC, ABC, and FOX affiliates (non-SDV channels). The remaining tuner, when switched to the HGTV channel (an SDV channel), will display correctly.

There must be some kind of issue with the CC/TA attempting to access multiple SDV channels simultaneously.
+1 to everything here, though skaggs and I are both on Time Warner in Albany. I'm in Glenville to be specific. I have had the same issues on my XL4, used the same "workaround" with success. My 6 tuner Roamio exhibits the same behavior, but the "fix" isn't as foolproof with this machine. I do notice that it's literally every other channel tune after about midnight. Not sure what the significance is of the timing. Earlier in the evening, things work a lot better.
peekb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #50
mvnuenen
~0.0~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Go to live TV and hit info. Go down to the tuner icon and see how many tuners are available. You should see only 4.
Thanks!! A bit of a duh moment for me but much appreciated! I had the special effects turned off so that's probably why I didn't hear the dings in the first place...
mvnuenen is offline   Reply With Quote