TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Jthrock

Trying to ditch Comcast DVR

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and honestly a bit overwhelmed by all the options on the Tivo front.

I'm starting to move around ebay because I have identified that I want a lifetime subscription and at least 2 tuners + HD.... for less than $350 if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I crazy for trying to accomplish this?

Also, what line should I be targeting?
Jthrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Check out the for sale area here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=72

As for which line to target...

For your price the best you're going to do is a 2 tuner Premiere. If you could go a little higher then I'd recommend a 4 tuner Premiere instead. They support the Mini so you'll be able to expand to other rooms in the future. If you can go even higher then I'd recommend a new Roamio. The cheapest unit is ~$600 with lifetime, but they're much faster then the Premiere units and will be the most future proof.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Jthrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Check out the for sale area here...
(hahah I cant even post urls until I hit 5!)
I'd love to but I have to have at least 15 posts first before I can talk to anyone there . So I figured it would be best to start figuring out what I want by chatting with people before jumping to that (so far up to 2 now )

Quote:
If you could go a little higher then I'd recommend a 4 tuner Premiere instead. They support the Mini so you'll be able to expand to other rooms in the future.
What would you say the used market for the 4 tuner Premiere & lifetime cost me?

Quote:
If you can go even higher then I'd recommend a new Roamio. The cheapest unit is ~$600 with lifetime, but they're much faster then the Premiere units and will be the most future proof.
I'm really struggling to understand why people are jumping for the Roamio, what does it do that is so much better than the Premiere?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthrock View Post
I'm really struggling to understand why people are jumping for the Roamio, what does it do that is so much better than the Premiere?
The biggest thing is the difference in processor. The Roamio will run circles around the Premiere in terms of responsiveness. I have a 2-tuner Premiere and I think it is reasonably responsive. Most people would say the 4-tuner Premiere becomes painful to use due to sluggishness of the processor. There were even a few users who bought a Mini to use as the front-end for their old 4-tuner Premiere because the Mini also has a fast processor.

Those who have jumped to the Roamio often report what they once thought was okay with their 2-tuner Premier is now incredibly annoying because of how fast the Roamio is.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'd love to but I have to have at least 15 posts first before I can talk to anyone there . So I figured it would be best to start figuring out what I want by chatting with people before jumping to that (so far up to 2 now )
Ahhh... Didn't realize the admins had added such a limit. If you really want to build up posts fast check out the Happy Hour area. That's where people talk about random stuff so it's easy to build up posts quickly.

Quote:
What would you say the used market for the 4 tuner Premiere & lifetime cost me?
Based on what I've seen they're going for $400-$600 on eBay. Depending on whether they are the base 4 tuner with 75 hours or the XL4 with 300 hours.

Quote:
The Premiere units are under powered. So the UI can be a bit slow. If you're patient or a slow button clicker then it probably wont matter, but if you're the type to use muscle memory to blaze through menus then it can be a bit irritating. Also the 3rd party apps, like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc... are excruciatingly slow on the Premiere units. Although if you don't plan to use those then you wont ever even notice. The other reason is that historically TiVo tends to abandon old platforms shortly after releasing a new one. So it's likely in the next 6 months or so TiVo will stop all development on the Premiere platform and all new features will be exclusive to the Roamio line. Although if you're happy with what the Premiere does now then that may not matter to you.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
6 tuners
built in wi-fi
streams to mobile ios devices
faster processor
the easiest by far to upgrade with a larger hd
the OTA version has 4 tuners vs the 2 tuner Premiere
Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Jthrock

Looks like I need to find a place to test one of these out. I have Amazon Prime and netflix so getting them on the Tivo would be very nice but if its so slow I regret it then it would be a downer.

I do not have an issue spending the $$$ but I think my wife would be against the big chunk of money put down for the latest and greatest.

Thank you for everyone's help. I think I'll visit the happy hour and get my posts up so I can talk in the marketplace on here.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
tatergator1

Quote:
Looks like I need to find a place to test one of these out. I have Amazon Prime and netflix so getting them on the Tivo would be very nice but if its so slow I regret it then it would be a downer.
Keep in mind, the Amazon app on both the Premiere and the Roamio is Amazon Instant Video, which is the "download and start watching instantly" service. Amazon Prime Streaming is not currently available with no info on whether it will ever be offered. Since the Roamio does HTML5, we have a good chance of it eventually getting to the Roamio, but the Premiere is unlikely to ever get Amazon Prime.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Jthrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Amazon Prime Streaming is not currently available with no info on whether it will ever be offered.
Oh wow, thank you thank you for letting me know that. I was planning on that being a big part of what I would be doing.

Right now I use an Acer Aspire Revo Duo (HTPC) for my link to hulu regular, netflix, youtube, and some pen drive content. I find that I can not run HD over netflix, hulu, or youtube because the processor can not handle it very well.

Does the premiere handle the HD streaming well for netflix and youtube.

Also, I assume hulu standard will not work with tivo, correct?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Yep, only hulu plus.

Netflix works great for me, high quality streams. A bit slow loading.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and honestly a bit overwhelmed by all the options on the Tivo front.

I'm starting to move around ebay because I have identified that I want a lifetime subscription and at least 2 tuners + HD.... for less than $350 if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I crazy for trying to accomplish this?

Also, what line should I be targeting?
Once you familiarize yourself more with the various Series 3, 4, and 5 TiVo models, you should keep an eye on your area's Craigslist as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
rmwebb1

Hi, we have both at my house. 1 Comcast DVR (my husband's) and I am on my 3rd Tivo. Actually, just 2 weeks ago I bought a Tivo Premiere on Ebay and just sold my Tivo HD on Ebay yesterday.

The reason I switched is because in my area (33317) I can now access Xfinity on Demand with a Tivo Premiere or Roamio and I really wanted that option.

I have been buying Tivo(s) on ebay for years. I have bought for me and my mom at least 6 Tivo(s). I have NEVER gotten one that has had a problem.

Good luck !!!!
rmwebb1 is offline   Reply With Quote