TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Known issue: Grace period (workaround)

Hi all,

We're aware of an issue with the Roamio with the grace period functionality.

Normally, a unit that hasn't been activated yet has a grace period of service. However, we're seeing a bug for Roamio units.

If you set up a Roamio unit and complete Guided Setup, if you're seeing the box in a deactivated state, please wait one hour, then force a connection to the TiVo service. (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/395)

At that point, grace period functionality will work normally.

We are investigating the bug and working to correct it. But in the meantime, the workaround listed here will need to be employed (or you can just activate service by visiting http://tivo.com/activate/

We apologize for the problem.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had wondered why I had to get service on my Roamio Pro before I could use it since that had not been the case in the past.

I thought the policy had changed. It's good to know that it hasn't.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I had wondered why I had to get service on my Roamio Pro before I could use it since that had not been the case in the past.

I thought the policy had changed. It's good to know that it hasn't.
I thought the same thing, I thought there was no longer a "trial" period.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

We are still working on fixing this issue; apologies for the inconvenience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
wyssaj01

So does this mean then that I have some "grace time" that I can transfer recordings from my old premiere to my new roamio?
wyssaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyssaj01 View Post
So does this mean then that I have some "grace time" that I can transfer recordings from my old premiere to my new roamio?
You have to have both DVRs with active service and on your account to transfer recordings. I am not sure if you can put the new DVR on your account during the grace period. If you are monthly on one or both units just overlap the service. Of course if you have lifetime on both there is no issue.

I also found when I setup my Roamio that there was no grace period and that I had to buy service from the start.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
wyssaj01

I am month to month on my Premiere ($9.99/month best buy employee plan). So I guess I could just call and add the Roamio as a second DVR for a day or 2 and then cancel it after a day or so.
wyssaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyssaj01 View Post
I am month to month on my Premiere ($9.99/month best buy employee plan). So I guess I could just call and add the Roamio as a second DVR for a day or 2 and then cancel it after a day or so.
Hey, that's the same as the OTA ONLY rate I have. TiVo should really offer the OTA only rate of $9.99 for the Roamio. It would attract some cord cutters who still want a DVR for OTA.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
DocNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post

Hey, that's the same as the OTA ONLY rate I have. TiVo should really offer the OTA only rate of $9.99 for the Roamio. It would attract some cord cutters who still want a DVR for OTA.
Did they add OTA back? The only thing I didn't like on my premiere was they dropped OTA....
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
Off Topic:

I was told, when I called to cancel my OTA Premiere, that this plan no longer exists. I was also told by the rep in the cancelation area that the $9.99 price would remain even if we popped in a cable card. I verified this several times as she convinced me to try to pass along my TiVo to a family member so they can keep this low price.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
bsimages

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Hi all,

Normally, a unit that hasn't been activated yet has a grace period of service. However, we're seeing a bug for Roamio units.

If you set up a Roamio unit and complete Guided Setup, if you're seeing the box in a deactivated state, please wait one hour, then force a connection to the TiVo service. (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/395)

We are investigating the bug and working to correct it. But in the meantime, the workaround listed here will need to be employed (or you can just activate service by visiting http://tivo.com/activate/

Best regards,
Stephen
Stephen,
How long is the Grace Period?
I will be receiving my first Tivo (The Roamio basic model) on Monday from Amazon and it would be nice to try it before I enter in my credit card info...
PS: I decided to cut the cord to Directv since I get 78 OTA HD channels and since I am addicted to the DVR features the Roamio should be just the answer, I hope. With Hulu Plus and Netflix added to the mix I think I am making a good choice.
bsimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimages View Post
Stephen,
How long is the Grace Period?
I will be receiving my first Tivo (The Roamio basic model) on Monday from Amazon and it would be nice to try it before I enter in my credit card info...
PS: I decided to cut the cord to Directv since I get 78 OTA HD channels and since I am addicted to the DVR features the Roamio should be just the answer, I hope. With Hulu Plus and Netflix added to the mix I think I am making a good choice.
The grace period is 7 days.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
bsimages

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The grace period is 7 days.
Thank you Steve!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
bsimages

Grace...

My first experience with Tivo was not a very good one!
After trying to get my Tivo to connect for the 7 day "Grace" period (several attempts following the directions I here).
I called and was informed that they knew of this issue and the only thing that I could was to pay for activation and not have a trial period and that I had make the purchase in the next ten minutes because they were going home in ten minutes...
I am disappointed and frustrated with Tivo and the "service" department.
I can only hope that this is not typical for Tivo because if it is I am sending it back!
Thank you I really needed to vent.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimages View Post
My first experience with Tivo was not a very good one!
After trying to get my Tivo to connect for the 7 day "Grace" period (several attempts following the directions I here).
I called and was informed that they knew of this issue and the only thing that I could was to pay for activation and not have a trial period and that I had make the purchase in the next ten minutes because they were going home in ten minutes...
I am disappointed and frustrated with Tivo and the "service" department.
I can only hope that this is not typical for Tivo because if it is I am sending it back!
Thank you I really needed to vent.
You may need to force a connection several times and restart the box. I ran into this issue as well and my grace period eventually became active. I'm not sure if it was the repeated connection attempts or restart that resolved the issue.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
bsimages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
You may need to force a connection several times and restart the box. I ran into this issue as well and my grace period eventually became active. I'm not sure if it was the repeated connection attempts or restart that resolved the issue.
Thank you for responding. I restarted and attempted to force the connection repeatedly. I finally gave up and paid.
I can not understand why Tivo has failed to respond to my inquiry.
Is the service at Tivo really this bad all of the time?
I am disappointed.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #17
mtsmylie

I'm talking to a TiVo rep in their chat right now, and she said the grace period no longer exists. Is that correct?
mtsmylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
Photo_Joe

"Grace Period" Started on a new Roamio Plus on 6/17/14

Using TiVoStephen's instructions above I was able to start a "Grace Period" or Trial Period with a new Roamio Plus.

I did have to do a hard restart twice by unplugging the TiVo and plugging it back in twice because it would come on and just display one TV channel and not respond to the remote. I then was able to "force" a connection to the TiVo service and it is now using all 6 tuners and recording. I do get a screen advising that I need to activate the TiVo, but I can choose to do this later.

There seemed to be some question about whether you could still do this.
This way I can test out the basic recording and playback functions on the new TiVo before adding a "Lifetime" service subscription.

I had a self inflicted complication because I had a Roamio basic attached to the TV in the same room and I had to change the pairing code for the remote on the Roamio Basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Hi all,

Best regards,
Stephen

Photo_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote