TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
crashtkd

Roamio with Cox in PHX?

Does anyone know if the Roamio streaming features work with HD channels with Cox in Phoenix?

My Series 3 just died and I'm considering a Roamio to replace it, but /i believe Cox broadcast flags pretty much all HD in Phoenix, breaking every feature beyond basic recording.

But perhaps something changed, so doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks
crashtkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Are you referring to the Roamio Plus/Pro internal TiVo Stream and streaming to an iOS device?
In Home or Out of Home?

Or Streaming from a Roamio (and all S4 Premieres) to another Premiere and/or Mini?

All Copy Protected (CCI Byte=0x02) content can be streamed to another S4 Premiere, Mini and Roamio. Multi-Room Streaming (MRS) was implemented in the Premiere line in January 2012.

Transfers and Downloads are still prohibited on copy protected content, and Cox Phoenix is all Copy Once except the Locals and a few others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
crashtkd

Thanks, I was referring to both sets of features, I was worried that multi room viewing wouldn't work, I assumed downloads and transfers wouldn't work.

Very frustrating that Cox doesn't support this in Phoenix, yet allows it in other markets. (Not sure if you are with Cox, based on the name, so nothing meant personally).

Really appreciate the help, exactly what I needed to know.
crashtkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Kobewan

Fellow Cox Cable Tivo user in Phoenix with a Roamio and I can confirm that for the majority of the channels, you can stream (MRS) from Room to Room to another Tivo (Series 4 or later or Mini) and to an iOS device (currently inside the home only). You still cannot transfer (MRV or downloaded to iOS) anything other than the broadcast channels as that is locked down by the CCI Byte.

One other caveat, none of the "Plus" channels can be streamed either (either to other Tivo Boxes or iOS) due to the MPEG4 not being supported. This isn't a lot of channels, but does include some good ones, including most of the extra premium channels. I asked Tivo about that and didn't get any feedback on whether MPEG4 support will be coming or not.

As far as outside the home streaming that has been promised, nobody knows yet what kind of restrictions may or may not be placed on that content.
Kobewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobewan View Post
One other caveat, none of the "Plus" channels can be streamed either (either to other Tivo Boxes or iOS) due to the MPEG4 not being supported.
Hmm, I could swear I was able to MRS an H.264 channel recording from a series 4 -> series 4 TiVo. Haven't tried it in a while but I'm pretty sure that used to work. The Stream can't handle them, that I know is still the case.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The Stream can't handle them, that I know is still the case.
Which is odd since the Stream converts to H.264 doesn't it? You would think it could handle a h.264 input. It certainly isn't a technical barrier but a software one I would presume.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobewan View Post
One other caveat, none of the "Plus" channels can be streamed either (either to other Tivo Boxes or iOS) due to the MPEG4 not being supported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Hmm, I could swear I was able to MRS an H.264 channel recording from a series 4 -> series 4 TiVo. Haven't tried it in a while but I'm pretty sure that used to work. The Stream can't handle them, that I know is still the case.
FYI, I just confirmed what I thought - MRS works for recordings from H.264 channels. I was able to MRS with Roamio Pro as host and Mini and/or series 4 units as clients even while the recording was ongoing. (Also here in Orange County I can also MRV and TTG the H.264 recording since it is not CCI protected).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I also confirm that the MPEG4/H.264 - Contour HD Channels (formerly Plus Package HD channels), all CCI Byte 0x02 in Arizona, are able to be Streamed (MRS) between S4 Premieres, Minis and the Roamio DVRs.

I do not own an iOS device, but, It is my understanding that the TiVo Stream, and integrated Roamio Stream, is currently unable to stream these channels to an iOS device.

Cox Phoenix - Contour HD Channels (formerly Plus Package) MPEG4/H.264
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizo...-lineup.cox#16

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Kobewan

Sorry, my mistake. I tried it and your right. I was getting MRS streaming and iOS streaming confused. You can stream any channel from Tivo to Tivo. I find it odd that it can't stream a MPEG4 channels too. It could be that there just hasn't been enough demand for them to program it, kind of like when Cox lit up the MPEG4 channels in 2012 and we discovered that the Tivo Premiere didn't work with them. They had to do a software update to fix them. It would be nice to see the same with the iOS app. Of course, it would also be nice to see any kind of streaming to the Android app!
Kobewan is offline   Reply With Quote