TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #421
DigitalDawn

Mr. Mike,

Do you have any premium channels such as HBO or Showtime?
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #422
MrMikeinflorida

no hbo or showtime, but I have encore channels which didn't show up till they properly paired the card.
MrMikeinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #423
Ryan Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
I meant to follow up on this last week, but after 3 calls to Charter and a tech coming out, and two calls to TiVo, I found it was the Tuning Adapter. The Charter tech swore up and down that their cards only do two tuners...I asked him to leave since I knew he had no clue what he was talking about.

Resetting the Tuning Adapter gave me all 6 tuners working without any problems.
I'm on Charter in Alabama and can only get 4 tuners to work on a Roamio Pro. I read this thread and returned my very old cable card with firmware 1.5.2_F.p.1601 to Charter for a swapout. I've tried several cable cards and still have the issue. My current cable card is a Cisco PKM803 with a firmware of PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401. They've tried doing firmware updates over the coax with no luck multiple times with multiple cards. I had 2 charter techs and a supervisor at my house looking at it today for several hours. They are going to try to upgrade a card at their office to 1.5.2_2801 or higher, but not 1.5.3_0601, and then physically bring it to my house for a swapout. They can't figure out why the firwmare upgrade won't happen over the network - signal is great, and they can refresh etc.
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #424
gamo62

Had CinBell come out and swap out my OLD PKM-800 with a new PKM-803. (You can probably tell I have had the card for about 4 years) As soon as it was inserted, and before the tech could get any of the information off of the diag screen, it started to download an update. The version is 3001, and after the update, ALL 6 tuners are now working.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #425
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikeinflorida View Post
no hbo or showtime, but I have encore channels which didn't show up till they properly paired the card.
I just re-read your post, and realized why you have 6 tuners. You're using the Motorola cards, and us folks further south have an Adelphia head-end using the old SA/Cisco cards. Can't wait for the firmware update.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #426
speedy2
TivoAddict

So has TiVo been working to get the tuner problem with the Cisco/SA cards issue resolved? I have the 3001 firmware. Is there any progress?
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #427
Jobeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Nelson View Post
but not 1.5.3_0601
i'm on cablevision CT with the 1.5.3 1101 firmware and it resolved all problems... many times recording on all 6 tuners without issue for several weeks..

so I would say that is the firmware you should try and get

Last edited by Jobeo : 10-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Jobeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #428
RSCHOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeo View Post
i'm on cablevision CT with the 1.5.3 1101 firmware and it resolved all problems... many times recording on all 6 tuners without issue for several weeks..

so I would say that is the firmware you should try and get
I second this. I got the updated firmware last week and it seems to be working with all 6 tuners now. Thanks for the help.
RSCHOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #429
NJguy

So here we are almost 2 months in with Cablevision and NDS card with OS Ver: VGUARD 3.0.7_F.p.0501 and STILL no fix. I am thrilled for all of you that have all 6 tuners. It seems most have their problems fixed since posts on this thread have diminished tremendously in the past few weeks.

It seems TiVo and Cablevision could care less about these NDS cards.

Tried to get it working with both TiVo and Cablevision....FAIL.
They told me over a month ago they are working on a fix....to date, FAIL.
I send complaint to FCC about Cablevision needing to fix this since they offer box where you can record up to 10 shows at once so they at least have to offer max of 6 for cable card...FAIL. Cablevision called and said, "We're working on it." REALLY, I already knew that!

Just frustrated I guess since I purchased a Roamio Plus with two minis and now the fall season has started I've had issues recording when the minis are in use (since they each take a tuner). The key to 6 tuners for me is being able to record and watch minis.

If it didn't cost so much for lifetime service I'd think about getting two Roamio basics and a mini. The math just doesn't work though with that 2 Roamios $400 + 2 Lifetime service $800 + Stream $100 + Mini with lifetime service $250 = 1550. What I have now with lifetime (I haven't purchased yet since the all may go back without a darn fix) Roamio Plus $400 + Lifetime $400 + 2 minis with lifetime $500 = 1300. Why spend $250 more when I shouldn't have to. This should be fixed by now like everyone else.

I even tried to go get a Cisco card and they told me only NDS cards work in my area UGH!
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #430
andyf

I think there's a lot of Comcast/Cisco customers suffering through this also and they don't even have word of an update coming.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #431
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I think there's a lot of Comcast/Cisco customers suffering through this also and they don't even have word of an update coming.
Actually we have lots of words. The first word was "summer", then the word changed to "october", now the word is "someday" :-).

What I'd really like to know is if the cablecard firmware is really not backward compatible with old headend software. Is it actually true that they can't provide newer firmware till they rollout all their updated infrastructure? Or is it just that they don't want to because only whiny TiVo users care?
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #432
andyf

Maybe for Florida folks. Not a peep for Houston. Interesting that the X1 is advertised as having 5 tuners. Record 4 shows and watch another live...........
Old 10-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #433
NJguy

Sorry to say this but, I guess, it's good to hear others are still having the issue. Cablevision was able to do the upgrade to Cisco Cards but not NDS cards. That's interesting to me.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #434
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
So here we are almost 2 months in with Cablevision and NDS card with OS Ver: VGUARD 3.0.7_F.p.0501 and STILL no fix. I am thrilled for all of you that have all 6 tuners. It seems most have their problems fixed since posts on this thread have diminished tremendously in the past few weeks.

It seems TiVo and Cablevision could care less about these NDS cards.

Tried to get it working with both TiVo and Cablevision....FAIL.
They told me over a month ago they are working on a fix....to date, FAIL.
I send complaint to FCC about Cablevision needing to fix this since they offer box where you can record up to 10 shows at once so they at least have to offer max of 6 for cable card...FAIL. Cablevision called and said, "We're working on it." REALLY, I already knew that!

Just frustrated I guess since I purchased a Roamio Plus with two minis and now the fall season has started I've had issues recording when the minis are in use (since they each take a tuner). The key to 6 tuners for me is being able to record and watch minis.

If it didn't cost so much for lifetime service I'd think about getting two Roamio basics and a mini. The math just doesn't work though with that 2 Roamios $400 + 2 Lifetime service $800 + Stream $100 + Mini with lifetime service $250 = 1550. What I have now with lifetime (I haven't purchased yet since the all may go back without a darn fix) Roamio Plus $400 + Lifetime $400 + 2 minis with lifetime $500 = 1300. Why spend $250 more when I shouldn't have to. This should be fixed by now like everyone else.

I even tried to go get a Cisco card and they told me only NDS cards work in my area UGH!
Believe me, I feel your pain NJguy!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #435
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Believe me, I feel your pain NJguy!
Wow. Seemed this was a dying thread. Either people just learned to live with it (though unacceptable) and stopped posting or they are getting worn down and stopped. Please don't stop. Margaret from Tivo and others from the cable companies (not that they care) need to know this is STILL a big issue for many.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #436
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Yes, you are correct. Comcast and no idea when we may get an update. I just got worn down and just pray my 4 channels record.
dkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #437
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft View Post
Yes, you are correct. Comcast and no idea when we may get an update. I just got worn down and just pray my 4 channels record.
I'm sure (or at a minimum hoping) they are working to come up with the fix for this but I do not think we should get worn down. It should be something that works and we shouldn't just accept that a fix will come....eventually. There is value in having 2 extra tuners and TiVo is charging for a that has those two extra tuners. It seems that initially they cared and Margaret was responsive and now it's priority has fallen because they want to improve their current software and roll out streaming before the holiday shopping season comes. Well this will hurt the more lucrative Pro and Plus sales. I'm sure TiVo profit margin is much higher on those than the base model (much like a 16GB iPad sells for $499 but a 64GB sells for $200 more when the extra flash memory likely costs them an extra $30 at most).

Come on TiVo, help us, especially your new users who could be your biggest advocates. I get that you could not have tested EVERY card with EVERY cable company beforehand but work with those companies and prove to us you're really trying to do this. Communication is important.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #438
Am_I_Evil

still waiting here...NDS card...initially i refused to lower the tuner amount under i thought i paid for 6 i'm using 6...but after numerous missed recordings i bit the bullet and lowered the amount...really hope an updated firmware is released soon though...(after a reboot i would occasionally have 6 working, but eventually that would stop and recordings would be missed)
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #439
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
still waiting here...NDS card...after a reboot i would occasionally have 6 working, but eventually that would stop and recordings would be missed
Same here. I would reboot to get 6 but eventually go back down to 4 because I was afraid of missing recordings or getting 2 minutes of a recording.

FCC complaint did nothing IMO. All that happened was a call from Cablevision saying we're working on it. Of course now it doesn't matter since there's nobody working at the FCC for the past couple of weeks.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #440
Ryan Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Nelson View Post
I'm on Charter in Alabama and can only get 4 tuners to work on a Roamio Pro. I read this thread and returned my very old cable card with firmware 1.5.2_F.p.1601 to Charter for a swapout. I've tried several cable cards and still have the issue. My current cable card is a Cisco PKM803 with a firmware of PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401. They've tried doing firmware updates over the coax with no luck multiple times with multiple cards. I had 2 charter techs and a supervisor at my house looking at it today for several hours. They are going to try to upgrade a card at their office to 1.5.2_2801 or higher, but not 1.5.3_0601, and then physically bring it to my house for a swapout. They can't figure out why the firwmare upgrade won't happen over the network - signal is great, and they can refresh etc.
Still trying to get 1.5.2_2801 or higher card - Charter is working on it. They did put two cisco tuning adapters on my Roamio and it has helped dramatically. I can record with 4 or 5 tuners (depends) - all of which are on encrypted SDV channels. I still have it set at 6 tuners and its working fine as long as one tuner is on an unencrypted local channel (which is common if I'm recording 6 shows).
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #441
sanyewest

update: i just email margret with my info. today had cable guy replace old cable card with new one yup still nds card n still getin some ch with (V58) on tuner 5,6
sanyewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #442
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyewest View Post
update: i just email margret with my info. today had cable guy replace old cable card with new one yup still nds card n still getin some ch with (V58) on tuner 5,6
Yep. You need to drop down to 4 tuners. Not really an acceptable solution but it's really the only one us NDS card people have.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #443
HDRyder9

I was fine until I got the October update, now I'm down to five tuners.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #444
TimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2 View Post
So has TiVo been working to get the tuner problem with the Cisco/SA cards issue resolved? I have the 3001 firmware. Is there any progress?
Your 3001 Firmware CableCard doesn't work? According a to post from TivoMargret (below) the PKM800 with the 3001 firmware is a "heavily tested configuration". Luckily, I learned this information before I purchased a Roamio Pro. After I got my Pro and paired the CableCard (Comcast), I was able to successfully record 6 simultaneous premium channels. Although I have 6 working tuners, I still get the "channel unauthorized" problem which goes away if I jump between several different channels.

"Re: Post #226/generaltso - Yours is a heavily tested configuration, and we
have not experienced any issues. On the next failure, please gather the
information described in post #212."

Post #226 is a PKM800 with the 3001 firmware
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #445
jaj2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
Your 3001 Firmware CableCard doesn't work? According a to post from TivoMargret (below) the PKM800 with the 3001 firmware is a "heavily tested configuration". Luckily, I learned this information before I purchased a Roamio Pro. After I got my Pro and paired the CableCard (Comcast), I was able to successfully record 6 simultaneous premium channels. Although I have 6 working tuners, I still get the "channel unauthorized" problem which goes away if I jump between several different channels.

Read my post #388. This configuration does not work in ALL markets. I suppose maybe it works in some, but definitely not all. I haven't switched back to using 5 or 6 tuners so can't say if it's magically fixed itself (although I can confirm I'm still using 3001 and on PKM800).

It's weird, this thread was super active once the problem first appeared and it seemed as if it was going to result in a quick resolution. Now however it's a post every few days and the posts are from people who are just now realizing they don't really have all 6 tuners.
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #446
MyITGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Windows media center is your friend! (Or DirecTV)
While I initially loved my MCE box with the Ceton Tuner...I ditched it when I moved from Melbourne, FL to Miami, FL in favor of the Roamio and I'm not looking back.

With the MCE box there were too many issues that cropped up due to the latest Ceton Firmware and/or MCE Updates that caused too many missed/failed recordings.
MyITGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #447
WeBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyheyn View Post
I'm here in Naples, as well, same firmware. I believe two out of the six tuners have the V58 error here locally.
Estero here. Currently set to 5 and seems to be working ok.
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #448
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

Yeah, the 3001 firmware definitely does not work in all markets. My PKM800 with 3001 can only use 5 tuners. My PKM801 card with 3001 can only use 4 tuners. I think it will be a long time before we see Comcast roll out a newer firmware that fixes this issue in all markets.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #449
andyf

Running with only 5 tuners on version 3001 in Houston on Comcast with Cisco CC.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #450
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
I was fine until I got the October update, now I'm down to five tuners.
Oh, can't be, according to TiVo and the bright house networks tech it's all the cisco tuning adapter's fault! (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote