Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #1501
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjacks View Post
Anyone have a image for tcd24004a?
I've got an 80 hour image for the 240 platform, but it came from one of those slightly larger than the other brands Maxtors, so you'll probably need at least a 100GB drive to put it on.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #1502
mdjacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I've got an 80 hour image for the 240 platform, but it came from one of those slightly larger than the other brands Maxtors, so you'll probably need at least a 100GB drive to put it on.
My drive died, so im upgrading to a 500GB. So that would be great if i could get a copy.

Thanks
mdjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #1503
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjacks View Post
My drive died, so im upgrading to a 500GB. So that would be great if i could get a copy.

Thanks
Go here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post8707432

and if you don't have a free DropBox account, let's talk about how we can both get extra free space if I get credit for you signing up.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #1504
unitron

540 "c" images

Okay, I think I killed my own 540 in the process, but here are 540 images that start in Guided Setup and have the recent "c" version of the software.

To use either of these, you must have a target drive with an LBA number of at least 80293248, which is just like a 40GB drive, only a little bit larger than the non-Maxtor 40GB drives of that era.

This one is for use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49887720/540c.bak

and this one is for use with WinMFS:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49887720/540c.tbk

and my free DropBox account is almost full, so anyone who doesn't yet have a free DropBox account, let me send you an invitation to get one, and when you go through me to get it, we both get extra free space.

You have to install the software on your Windows PC, but it takes up very little space, doesn't hog resources (it's pretty much dormant unless you're actually uploading something), you don't actually have to upload any files to it if you don't want to, and they don't spam you.

Last edited by unitron : 10-02-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #1505
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

The new 540 MFSLive backup of software version 9.3.2c-01-2-540 restored without any issues. My trusty old S2 is up and running again and can actually survive daily calls and reboots. Thanks unitron, I really appreciate it!
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #1506
pnut

Hey all,
Another TCD746320 drive failure . I've been trying to use these instructions to recover, but the drive is in rough shape (clicking then stops) and cannot get it to show up (before even attempting to read). This thread turned me on to DvrBARS; can anyone provide a link to an image (ggieseke?)?

Also, is it possible to image a smaller drive? I only use Tivo as a tuner for a projector. Just curious more than anything (have a bigger replacement available at the moment).

TIA
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #1507
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
Also, is it possible to image a smaller drive? I only use Tivo as a tuner for a projector. Just curious more than anything (have a bigger replacement available at the moment).
No.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #1508
pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
No.
That's what I figured; was worth asking.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #1509
ggieseke

Quote:
Hey all,
Another TCD746320 drive failure . I've been trying to use these instructions to recover, but the drive is in rough shape (clicking then stops) and cannot get it to show up (before even attempting to read). This thread turned me on to DvrBARS; can anyone provide a link to an image (ggieseke?)?

TIA
PM sent.

The drive you restore it to has to be at least 320GB.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1510
pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.

The drive you restore it to has to be at least 320GB.
Much appreciated
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #1511
faiginwells98

Help please

Hi guys,

I have a TCD 540040 that I successfully replaced the drive on back in March with a Maxtor Maxline II 320 GB drive. Last month I too ended up getting the constant reboot.

I bought a new 1TB WD NAS drive and was going to try and use that, thinking my Maxtor went bad, but in researching how to redo another drive, I saw that others had the same problem that I did.

So I want to try and set up my Maxtor drive again with the new 540 image, but I can't find the instructions that I used last time, nor can I recall how I go about setting up the drive.

A review of my computer found that I have a copy of winmfs_beta9_3f and also a copy of weaknees_lba_boot_cd.

Can somebody point me to the current step by step process for setting up the drive again.

Thank you in advance.
faiginwells98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #1512
faiginwells98

O.k. I have been playing with this for hours and can't make any head way.

I have tried the win mfs on two computers and can't get it to see either my Maxtor or the new WD NAS drive. I also downloaded the MFS live and couldn't get that to work. I got to the prompt after boot up, but I could get it to restore the 540c.bak.
Finally, I tried the Weeknees ISO, which is just another Linux program, and I couldn't get that to work either.

I could really use some help on the current step by step process.

Thanks again.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiginwells98 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a TCD 540040 that I successfully replaced the drive on back in March with a Maxtor Maxline II 320 GB drive. Last month I too ended up getting the constant reboot.

I bought a new 1TB WD NAS drive and was going to try and use that, thinking my Maxtor went bad, but in researching how to redo another drive, I saw that others had the same problem that I did.

So I want to try and set up my Maxtor drive again with the new 540 image, but I can't find the instructions that I used last time, nor can I recall how I go about setting up the drive.

A review of my computer found that I have a copy of winmfs_beta9_3f and also a copy of weaknees_lba_boot_cd.

Can somebody point me to the current step by step process for setting up the drive again.

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #1513
unitron

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you in advance.
The constant reboot may or may not be a failed attempt to switch over to the alternate boot partitions that have just been updated to "c".

It's also possible that the drive is going bad or that the 540's power supply is going bad (go read up on "capacitor plague) or both.

Here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...54#post9838454

just a few posts north, are 540 images with the latest version (c) of the software.

If by "I have a copy of winmfs_beta9_3f " you mean you have winmfs.exe somewhere on the (or a) hard drive on a PC running Windows, then it'll be easier using the .tbk file.

If you mean you have a zip file with winmfs in the name, it should unzip to winmfs.exe.

Probably easiest to put it on the root of the C: drive and let it put an icon on the desktop.

In addition to proving them on my own 540, I've gotten confirmation that the .bak file intended for use with the MFS Live cd v1.4 is working for others.

No one has tried the WinMFS version (the .tbk file) yet besides me, but it worked for me and came from the same drive.

Even if you use WinMFS, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to burn yourself a bootable copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 to have handy, and also make yourself a bootable copy of the Ultimate Boot cd, in case you need hard drive diagnostic software from the people who made the drive.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #1514
faiginwells98

Unitron,

Thank you for your quick reply. I was just going back in to delete my previous two posts. I slowly worked my way back to up and running thanks to your 540c.tbk.

For those who might have gotten stuck in the "c" problem, and are struggling, a good reminder is that you MUST run winMFS as administrator or you absolutely will not see your drives. I'm embarrassed to say it took me quite a while to figure that out.

Once I got that figured out, it took no time to redo my drive with your .tbk.

I am currently in the "loading" part of the getting started menu. So far so good. I will keep an eye on it for a day or two and let you know how the .tbk is working.

I wanted to use MFS Live (which I downloaded) but I seemed to be having problems at the prompt. Is there a good step by step tutorial that you can recommend for using MFS Live.

Once again, thank you for all of your help!

Quote:
The constant reboot may or may not be a failed attempt to switch over to the alternate boot partitions that have just been updated to "c".

It's also possible that the drive is going bad or that the 540's power supply is going bad (go read up on "capacitor plague) or both.

Here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...54#post9838454

just a few posts north, are 540 images with the latest version (c) of the software.

If by "I have a copy of winmfs_beta9_3f " you mean you have winmfs.exe somewhere on the (or a) hard drive on a PC running Windows, then it'll be easier using the .tbk file.

If you mean you have a zip file with winmfs in the name, it should unzip to winmfs.exe.

Probably easiest to put it on the root of the C: drive and let it put an icon on the desktop.

In addition to proving them on my own 540, I've gotten confirmation that the .bak file intended for use with the MFS Live cd v1.4 is working for others.

No one has tried the WinMFS version (the .tbk file) yet besides me, but it worked for me and came from the same drive.

Even if you use WinMFS, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to burn yourself a bootable copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 to have handy, and also make yourself a bootable copy of the Ultimate Boot cd, in case you need hard drive diagnostic software from the people who made the drive.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #1515
Steny

Up and running thank you Unitron!
Steny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #1516
pnut

Well, still having issues after replacing the drive with a 500GB Seagate. I downloaded the TCD746320 image twice (in case there was corruption), applied the quick and full restores, as well as attempted to use the jmfs boot disc to expand/supersize the drive. With all the combinations I've tried, I'm still getting the reboots (says starting up on the screen, all lights flash, then reboots). Any suggestions? Does it need to be connected to the internet / coax during the initial boot?

edit: I was able to get the old drive up and running without clicking, and performed the truncated and modified backups. Long story short, I was able to get the modified backup to apply to the new drive, and Tivo started as normal. The bad news is once I got the Tivo buttoned back up to normal, it started the reboot cycle again. I know this isn't a hardware thread, but anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting the hardware?

edit2: Based on the troubleshooting from the other forum sections, I believe it is the hard drive as the source. Tivo attempts to start up and is displayed on the screen, all lights flash, then reboots. I'll try imaging the drive again.

Quote:
Hey all,

TIA

Last edited by pnut : 10-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #1517
faiginwells98

So I got my 540 up and running with the 540c.tbk, but I got the error 51 saying that I could not record etc. I went into the restart and cleared and deleted everything, and it appears to now be working. Apparently the TSN number didn't catch the first time. I will keep an eye on it over the next day or so, but so far so good.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Unitron,

Thank you for your quick reply. I was just going back in to delete my previous two posts. I slowly worked my way back to up and running thanks to your 540c.tbk.

For those who might have gotten stuck in the "c" problem, and are struggling, a good reminder is that you MUST run winMFS as administrator or you absolutely will not see your drives. I'm embarrassed to say it took me quite a while to figure that out.

Once I got that figured out, it took no time to redo my drive with your .tbk.

I am currently in the "loading" part of the getting started menu. So far so good. I will keep an eye on it for a day or two and let you know how the .tbk is working.

I wanted to use MFS Live (which I downloaded) but I seemed to be having problems at the prompt. Is there a good step by step tutorial that you can recommend for using MFS Live.

Once again, thank you for all of your help!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #1518
Todd B.

Quote:
Okay, I think I killed my own 540 in the process, but here are 540 images that start in Guided Setup and have the recent "c" version of the software.
Thanks so much, unitron, for your help and for these images. Both of them worked successfully in restoring on my Tivo, via both MFSLive and WinMFS.
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #1519
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Thanks so much, unitron, for your help and for these images. Both of them worked successfully in restoring on my Tivo, via both MFSLive and WinMFS.
Thanks for confirming both work.

Is there anybody out there who hasn't buttoned up their 540 yet who could look on the power supply and tell me what amp amount the sticker on the big capacitor says for the 12 V output?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #1520
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Is there anybody out there who hasn't buttoned up their 540 yet who could look on the power supply and tell me what amp amount the sticker on the big capacitor says for the 12 V output?
The sticker on mine says 1.16A @ 12V.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1521
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
The sticker on mine says 1.16A @ 12V.
Thanks.

I've got a 540 and a 240 and swapped power supplies at some point a couple of years ago while troubleshooting and couldn't remember if I'd ever swapped them back.

So apparently it's the 240 supply that can deliver a lot more current (4.51A) on the 12V rail.

If it's working.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #1522
jeffputts

Help I need an image for my Series 1 Phillips HDR112 that has lifetime. got the GSOD and ive been searing forums for days, had an old PM from stan from 2004 when I upgraded the drive lol but the link doesnt work anymore. Can anyone help? Thanks so much!!
jeffputts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #1523
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffputts View Post
Help I need an image for my Series 1 Phillips HDR112 that has lifetime. got the GSOD and ive been searing forums for days, had an old PM from stan from 2004 when I upgraded the drive lol but the link doesnt work anymore. Can anyone help? Thanks so much!!
You need to test the drive with the manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test.

This can probably be found (along with lots of other stuff) on the Ultimate Boot CD.

Go here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

and go down to the bottom of the page to the list of mirror sites and right-click on one of the icons just left of one of the mirror site names and chose "Save link as" or whatever the IE or Chrome equivalent is to download the .iso file which you can burn to a cd as an image to get a bootable cd.

Once you've established that you've got a drive worth using (or gotten another drive), here is what I think is the smallest footprint image available for the S1, and it should be kernel patched for drives over 137GB in size.

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/13Phil48.bak

For use with WinMFS:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/13Phil48.tbk

I'm sure it'll go on a drive as small as 30GB, and maybe a 20GB.

It'll only set up one MFS pair.

Unfortunately, I don't remember which version of the TiVo software this is, so you might need the internal modem to work and need a "real" phone line to hook it to.

If you need the MFS Live cd .iso, go here:

http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic....516367edb293c8

and click on the attachment link in the lower left hand corner.

If it doesn't work, PM or email me.

And if the last time you messed with any of this was the old MFS Tools, go here to get up to speed on the things that have and haven't changed in MFS Live:

http://www.mfslive.org/fullguide.htm

and read the release notes as well:

http://www.mfslive.org/readme.txt

and if you need the zip file that turns into winmfs.exe, email or PM me.

And if you don't already have a free DropBox account, if you sign up for one via an invite from me, we both get extra free space, which I'm running short on because of making so many images available.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #1524
unitron

Quote:
And one other thing.

Series 1s are very persnickety about which hard drives they will or won't work with in which configuration.

Stuff that works fine in an S2 might just sit there and refuse to boot on an S1.

If you need a new drive, it may be easier, or at least cheaper, to find a SATA drive instead of an IDE, and going with a SATA drive or 2 will let you hit the limit of 1TB per drive.

Series 1s have to use a Marvell chipset based SATA/IDE adapter, regardless of which brand or model SATA drive.

(if it's an IDE drive then it doesn't matter which chipset is on the adapter you won't be needing in the first place. )

They can't use a Western Digital Caviar Blue drive, either IDE or SATA.

Don't know why, just know they can't (or won't)

And if you want to do a 2 drive setup, even IDE, and have 2 identical Seagates, that may not work, although one of the Seagates may work just fine and even work with some other brand as the other drive.

The SATA/IDE adapater thread is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

and you should read all of it if you go with a SATA drive.

I think a Caviar Black or a Caviar Green will work, but if using a Caviar Green, familiarize yourself with the Intellipark soft boot problem and how to use wdidle3.exe (also available on the UBCD) to disable it.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #1525
jeffputts

thank you so much!! I am up and running, WinMFS is waaay easier then the old way

Thanks again
jeffputts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #1526
unitron

Quote:
thank you so much!! I am up and running, WinMFS is waaay easier then the old way

Thanks again
How did you have that S1 talk to the TiVo servers during setup?

Internal modem, external modem, network card, ???

Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #1527
anand123

tcd652160

Could I get a tcd652160 image please? I'm stuck in a reboot and need a clean image to start with. Thanks.
anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #1528
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand123 View Post
Could I get a tcd652160 image please? I'm stuck in a reboot and need a clean image to start with. Thanks.
These are 11.0k images and not 11.0m, but they're new enough to let you use a 2TB drive and should automatically update soon.

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.bak

For use with the WinMFS program:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.tbk

Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #1529
anand123

Thanks!

Wonderful. Thanks! I will try it out when my new drive comes in. Much appreciated.
anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #1530
pnut

I thought I would give a quick update on my scenario; after replacing my bad hard drive, I was still having issues. Tried a couple different images and only had success once. Long story short, I had a bad SATA cable. After taking a dremel to the adapter to separate the power to the drive, I was able to replace the SATA cable and was back to being fully functional.