TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #61
Timbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I finished the first season of 'The Shield' last night. Burned through all 13 episodes in about a week. Very entertaining show! I love the frenetic camera work, and Chiklis does a great job. Prior to this show, I was only familiar with him from The Fantastic Four movies. It's also interesting to see a much younger Walton Goggins. I've always liked his character on 'Justified'.
It's funny to hear you say that about Chiklis, when I first watched the Shield I had only seen him in The Commish and it took me quite a few episodes to get that out of my head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #62
SocratesJohnson

The final season of The Shield was the most tense and suspenseful television viewing I have ever experienced. Before there was Walter White, Vick Mackey was the original "Why the hell am I rooting for this guy?" guy.
That being said, you can't go wrong choosing either one.
SocratesJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #63
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
In my opinion, The Wire was gripping and very well executed TV and, like many others, rank it right up there with the best that's ever been on TV.

That being said, I was much more a fan of The Shield and found it to be much more 'entertaining' TV. And I have to give a nod to Timbeau, my prior exposure to Chiklis was strictly from The Commish - took a wee bit of getting used to, but he made me forget that role rather quickly and he 'became' Vic Mackey.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #64
GoPackGo

When Chiklis originally auditioned for the role, all the producers knew him from was as the aging, shlubby Commish too.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #65
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The Wire.

I haven't as yet caught back up with The Shield.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #66
kimsan
underling

The Wire wins for me. Large ensemble where nearly everyone has a story and depth of character. It's as much about the life of a city as the people in it. Not just the cops vs dealers story of the first season.

The Shield has the smaller enseble, but centers on them. Definitely more action for the primaries!

Both worthy choices. As noted by others, Homicide: Life on the Street is another winner though a bit more procedural. Great "intro" to Baltimore and The Wire

No bad choices there

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #67
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
When Chiklis originally auditioned for the role, all the producers knew him from was as the aging, shlubby Commish too.
Chikis was also John Belushi in Wired which got him blackballed.

He did a great job as Jerry/Curley Howard in the 2000 The Three Stooges.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #68
bengalfreak

I also forgot. You should watch The Wire, for no other reason, than seeing a young Callie Thorne topless.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #69
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I also forgot. You should watch The Wire, for no other reason, than seeing a young Callie Thorne topless.
Or you could just google it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #70
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Or you could just google it.
A quick search found this tasty little scene from Californication ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15...opless_redband
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #71
frombhto323

The Wire. All the accolades are spot on. The Shield was also great, but it was a 4 or 5-time All Star performer compared to The Wire being a no-doubt-about-it 1st ballot HOF and on the very short list for greatest player ever. The thing about The Wire that made it so compelling for me is that it immerses the viewer into a subset of society that most viewers would not otherwise experience, much less inhabit.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #72
gweempose

I'm now done with Season 2 of The Shield, and still very much enjoying it.
(3) Minis

Last edited by gweempose : 01-08-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Accidentally referred to the wrong show.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #73
gweempose

I just watched the last episode of Season 5 of The Shield ...

Spoiler:
Holy crap! My heart is still racing. The scene where Shane kills Lem was really hard to watch. Just heartbreaking stuff. Out of all the Strike Team guys, Lem was easily the most likable. I'm still in utter disbelief that they killed him off.

What a great show! I can't wait to see what happens in the last two seasons.
(3) Minis

Last edited by gweempose : 01-08-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Post edited to avoid confusion about what show I was talking about.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #74
cheesesteak
Meh.

Your spoiler is for The Shield but I assumed it would be for The Wire based on your post immediately before it.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #75
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Your spoiler is for The Shield but I assumed it would be for The Wire based on your post immediately before it.
Yeah, that would have been good to know.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #76
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I almost clicked it too, but then noticed the "last two seasons" comment; the Wire only had 5 seasons. Still it would be best to be very clear about what show you're spoiling when there are more than one in the subject.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #77
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Yeah, that would have been good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I almost clicked it too, but then noticed the "last two seasons" comment; the Wire only had 5 seasons. Still it would be best to be very clear about what show you're spoiling when there are more than one in the subject.
My sincere apologies, guys. I had accidentally typed "The Wire" in the first post, when I meant to type "The Shield". I haven't actually watched any of The Wire yet. Since nobody had commented since my last post, I mistakenly thought my second post was an extension of the first. I went back and edited both of my posts to avoid any future confusion. Once again, I'm very sorry if this spoiled anything for anyone.
(3) Minis

Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #78
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
My sincere apologies, guys. I had accidentally typed "The Wire" in the first post, when I meant to type "The Shield". I haven't actually watched any of The Wire yet. Since nobody had commented since my last post, I mistakenly thought my second post was an extension of the first. I went back and edited both of my posts to avoid any future confusion. Once again, I'm very sorry if this spoiled anything for anyone.
No problem, at least from me. Spoilers don't bother me much. Plus, I can't remember worth a crap, anyway.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #79
DavidJL

Quote:
I just watched the last episode of Season 5 of The Shield ...

What a great show! I can't wait to see what happens in the last two seasons.
Amazing show, one of my favorites, some very powerful moments.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #80
jradosh
Newlywed

By the time I ever get to watch "The Shield" I'll have forgotten the spoiler so... no worries here

Check out
Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #81
gweempose

I finally watched the finale of The Shield last night. It was a powerful and fitting conclusion to an excellent series.

And now on to The Wire ...
(3) Minis

Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #82
Bob Coxner

Quote:
I finally watched the finale of The Shield last night. It was a powerful and fitting conclusion to an excellent series.

Omar's comin!
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #83
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:

Remember... at least 3 episodes before passing any judgement

Check out
Old 02-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #84
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
I'd say, watch the whole first season, if you don't enjoy it then something is wrong with you

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #85
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I'd say, watch the whole first season, if you don't enjoy it then something is wrong with you
Of course once he watches 3 episodes he'll be hooked. My point was not to bail after 1 or 2 episodes because it's "slow" or "confusing".

Check out
Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 AM   #86
bengalfreak

Quote:
Great recommendation. We bailed after the first episode originally aired on HBO because it was so slow. It, and now Breaking Bad, are the two greatest shows of all time IMHO.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #87
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Just finished season 3 of The Wire. Great show!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #88
Doggie Bear

Any thoughts on a potential correlation between preference for "The Shield" or "The Wire" with geographic location of the viewer? The cities in which the shows take place are, from what I gather, important characters in their own right. This is certainly true for "The Shield"; I haven't watched "The Wire" so I can't attest to it myself, but everything I've read about it suggests that it really captures the feel of Baltimore.

I grew up all over SoCal, and while I didn't hang out, go to school, or work in the parts of L.A. that are like Farmington, I recognize various locations in the show, and the ethnic/racial tensions that underlie so many of the arcs.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #89
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
Any thoughts on a potential correlation between preference for "The Shield" or "The Wire" with geographic location of the viewer? The cities in which the shows take place are, from what I gather, important characters in their own right. This is certainly true for "The Shield"; I haven't watched "The Wire" so I can't attest to it myself, but everything I've read about it suggests that it really captures the feel of Baltimore.

I grew up all over SoCal, and while I didn't hang out, go to school, or work in the parts of L.A. that are like Farmington, I recognize various locations in the show, and the ethnic/racial tensions that underlie so many of the arcs.
Good question. Having never been to either place, I'm interested to hear input from those who have.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #90
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post

I grew up, went to school in a few locations in the L.A. area; even had a couple of stints residing in L.A. jails. I later worked at a few L.A. locations. I don't think that really enhanced my love for The Shield much, just thought it was a great drama. What really got me about The Shield was something similar to what I loved in Breaking Bad and Justified and Dexter to some degree:
Spoiler:
I was rooting for the bad guys

I've never been to Baltimore, but I've always suspected The Wire was very realistic almost to the level of a documentary. I really liked The Wire, and thought it educational and entertaining; a great combination, but where The Shield is in my top 10, The Wire is in 20-30 range.

I saw The Shield on TV when it aired, then later heard about The Wire and watched the DVDs. I think, and this might be a good warning for those intending to watch The Wire, the hyperbole I read about The Wire prior to watching might have hurt my impression. I really enjoyed it but not as much as I expected to enjoy it.

In either case I don't think my knowledge of the location helped or hurt my enjoyment. Arrested Development on the other hand probably was more enjoyable due to being familiar with the location.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote