TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

Glee - ANyone still watching?

Haven't seen a post yet this thread. Anyone still watching?
702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Not here. I still check out the songs online, but I've lost what little interest I had in the show. I'll still watch this week's episode though.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Still watching

Finn dies this week.

Spoiler alert.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
hummingbird_206

I didn't watch last season and haven't watched this season so far, but yeah, I'll be recording this week.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
SNJpage1

Wife and I still watch but we fast forward thru a lot of it and just watch the singing parts. Sue's character has once again become hard to watch. I have gotten to the point where they need to dump her.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
TonyD79

I watch and still enjoy.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #7

I had a very small laugh at the Carrie scene in the 2nd week of the Beatles.
702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

No
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
mattack

Just like most shows, I batch up & watch at some point, but I'm "only" one behind on this one.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
DavidJL

No
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
MikeCC
TiVotee

No. I gave up on this show early last year.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Alfer
WOOSAH!

No

Our local news radio host sort of ripped the latest Glee episode that's dedicated to the drug addict actor.

He called it the show honoring a "junky". He went on to say it was somewhat offensive that they are honoring a junky for an hour as opposed to honoring folks who died honorably etc etc.

I can see his point...they seem to be glorifying this kid who's been on drugs for some time, hasn't really done much other than this one flash in the pan show and now he gets a nationwide audience send off. All for being a drug addict.

Last edited by Alfer : 10-10-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

I still watch because I still enjoy the music. I don't enjoy the newer cast members as much as the originals.

On a side note, the guy who made the Ed Sullivan Beatle suits for the premiere episode participates on a Beatles forum that I'm on. He didn't do the Sgt Pepper costumes.

www.beatlesuits.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Spud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
kettledrum

I'm a season behind. I had planned on watching Season 4 this summer but my TiVo got struck by lightning so bye bye Season 4 of Glee that I had saved up.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I bailed after season 1, and tried to come back this season. I couldn't make it through the episodes.

I will watch Finn's episode though, and then no more.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
busyba
The Funcooker

I stopped watching after they stole Jonathan Coulton's Baby Got Back arrangement and gave him zero credit, and then told JC that he should be grateful to them for doing so.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I still watch but its definitely losing steam. 1st couple season were the best.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
gweempose

I'm still watching because my wife likes it, but I think the show sucks now, and has sucked for a while. I'm the first to admit that season 1 was extremely entertaining. In fact, my wife an I went to see them live that summer, and it was damn fun. Unfortunately, the show has gotten worse and worse every season since.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I stopped watching after they stole Jonathan Coulton's Baby Got Back arrangement and gave him zero credit, and then told JC that he should be grateful to them for doing so.
You mean the one he is now marketing as "In the Style of Glee" and that he violated the copyright agreement on when he did the arrangement. Okay.

Not that I am taking a side. There are two sides to everything.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
You mean the one he is now marketing as "In the Style of Glee"
Yes. That was his form of protest.

Quote:
and that he violated the copyright agreement on when he did the arrangement.
No. He paid all the royalties due to the rightsholder for his derivative work.

Quote:
Not that I am taking a side. There are two sides to everything.
True, but not all sides are of equal merit.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

busyba is correct. JoCo licensed "Baby Got Back" under a mechanical compulsory license, which permits rearrangements of the song, so he was OK on that end. However, he got caught unaware when he didn't realize that under a compulsory license, any rights for the song, including any rearrangements made to the song, remain with the original rights holder. Legally, Glee was safe to use JoCo's arrangement. Morally, though, one might have hoped that Glee's musical producers to at least contact JoCo to let him know that they intended to use it.

There remains an *extremely* high likelihood that they used his original performance track, one he released on the internet as a karaoke version. There, Glee was definitely in the wrong, as they would have needed to obtain a synchronization license from JoCo, which they did not. However, he opted not to pursue that (rightfully judging 20th's lawyers to be bigger and badder than his lawyers).

I believe there also was a reasonable legal argument that, given the original "song" was a rap song with no melody, technically all JoCo licensed under the compulsory license was the words. Therefore, JoCo's melody was a unique creation that he should have owned... but again, that would have required a much more protracted legal fight that he probably would have lost.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
busyba is correct. JoCo licensed "Baby Got Back" under a mechanical compulsory license, which permits rearrangements of the song, so he was OK on that end. However, he got caught unaware when he didn't realize that under a compulsory license, any rights for the song, including any rearrangements made to the song, remain with the original rights holder. Legally, Glee was safe to use JoCo's arrangement. Morally, though, one might have hoped that Glee's musical producers to at least contact JoCo to let him know that they intended to use it. There remains an *extremely* high likelihood that they used his original performance track, one he released on the internet as a karaoke version. There, Glee was definitely in the wrong, as they would have needed to obtain a synchronization license from JoCo, which they did not. However, he opted not to pursue that (rightfully judging 20th's lawyers to be bigger and badder than his lawyers). I believe there also was a reasonable legal argument that, given the original "song" was a rap song with no melody, technically all JoCo licensed under the compulsory license was the words. Therefore, JoCo's melody was a unique creation that he should have owned... but again, that would have required a much more protracted legal fight that he probably would have lost.
My point was I don't give a crap. The Glee people did their due diligence. He didn't. So we should protest and stamp our feet because he thought he was wronged when he wasn't? What is this, Congress?

Maybe he should also apologize to Richard Head who put the song to melody before he did.

There is a reason for laws like these. Glee did their job. Just because some "artist" didn't understand the law and got in a snit doesn't make either side "morally right" or not. Let's see. He thought he had rights to the song. He was wrong. But he pouts better. Good for him.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
Langree
The Gimp

I don't have as much of an issue with Glee honoring Cory as I did with the Emmy awards. Regardless of how, they lost a friend. Now if the writer's really wanted to deal with "issues", they wouldn't candy coat the OD.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
jamesl

Quote:
My point was I don't give a crap. The Glee people did their due diligence. He didn't. So we should protest and stamp our feet because he thought he was wronged when he wasn't? What is this, Congress?

Maybe he should also apologize to Richard Head who put the song to melody before he did.

There is a reason for laws like these. Glee did their job. Just because some "artist" didn't understand the law and got in a snit doesn't make either side "morally right" or not. Let's see. He thought he had rights to the song. He was wrong. But he pouts better. Good for him.
for someone who doesn't give a crap you've certainly put a lot of thought into this

Glee is crap
always has been
always will be

Glee is to music and talent what Twilight is to vampire movies
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
for someone who doesn't give a crap you've certainly put a lot of thought into this

Glee is crap
always has been
always will be

Glee is to music and talent what Twilight is to vampire movies
speaking of crap.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

They put a lot of thought into it.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
for someone who doesn't give a crap you've certainly put a lot of thought into this Glee is crap always has been always will be Glee is to music and talent what Twilight is to vampire movies

As any intelligent person, I researched the topic then figured out that I don't give a crap about the whining artiste.

As for the rest of your post, classic thread crapping. Thanks for participating.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
MusicMama

Watched bits and pieces of last season based on recaps. If I liked what I heard in the recap, then I watched, otherwise just deleted the ep from my Tivo. Skipped the first two eps but watched this one live. Cried like a baby at some of the scenes between the characters, especially at the last scene with Mr. Shue.
MusicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #29
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMama View Post
Watched bits and pieces of last season based on recaps. If I liked what I heard in the recap, then I watched, otherwise just deleted the ep from my Tivo. Skipped the first two eps but watched this one live. Cried like a baby at some of the scenes between the characters, especially at the last scene with Mr. Shue.
God bless commercials, for breaking up the sad scenes with butter and automobiles, or I would have lost it. That was the most heartfelt episode I have ever seen of any show. Yes, he was a junkie, but he was their friend and co-worker, and that showed.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
My point was I don't give a crap.
If what you don't give a crap about is being factually correct, that much is obvious.

If it's something else, then one has to wonder how you gave enough a crap to post your response in the first place.

Quote:
So we should protest and stamp our feet because he thought he was wronged when he wasn't?
A) He absolutely was wronged, regardless of whether or not the actions stood up to legal scrutiny. There's a lot more to right and wrong than merely what's written in law books.

2) Who's stamping their feet and protesting? I simply decided that I had no interest in being a patron of an artist who plagiarizes (even if in a legal manner) other artists' (JC was not the first indie artist to be treated in that way, just the one with the most fans and publicity "juice") work.

Quote:
He was wrong. But he pouts better.
Apparently he's got nothing on you.