TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
glensanford

New House + CableCard + TiVo Series4 XL = Hurt

I'm cross-posting this in the XFinity forums, may the best forum win.

TL;DR: Con: Yes, EBCP: Yes, Val: ? 0x00

I live in the SF bay area, and I've been using TiVos and CableCards since it became possible to do so. Most recently I used a TiVo Series4 XL on my housemate's account with an M-Card, worked just fine. I moved to my own place a couple of weeks ago, taking the TiVo with me. I did a self install of Xfinity TV/Internet, with my own cable modem and a CableCard I picked up at the local comcast office.*

The internet works fine. I have the cable modem and the TiVo on a splitter, but otherwise the line goes straight to the utility pole.

I called the friendly Eastern European people at the comcast CableCard activation line, they took down my HostID and DataID, and "sent the signal," but with no luck. We rechecked everything, I rechecked the connections, they rechecked the numbers, they "sent the signal" again, no dice.

Next they sent me to the local office to get a new cable card. Same problem, but this time with "Con: No". Third card, back to "Con: Yes" but still "Val: ?"

At this point we scheduled a service appointment for a tech to come out and check things out.*

A week later, the tech shows up, who's super nice. Tells me the line is fine, tests all the connections, runs some line diagnostics. Everything looks fine. He calls up the activation people, they "send a signal," no change. He said he doesn't really know cable cards, and that I should call the russians again.

For fun, I swap the card again, but the fourth and fifth cards are no better. Another round of calls to the russians and more signal sending. That afternoon, someone claiming to be "Comcast" calls to make sure everything is working. I told him it isn't, he "sends a signal," which doesn't work, he said his supervising tech will be calling me back to set up an appointment. This never happens. End of week one.

A week later, I try doing Comcast chat support, for kicks. I talk to "Mike" who "sends a signal," asks me to reboot the box, and then we get disconnected. Chat attempt two yields "Mary" who is about to "Send a signal" but we get disconnected. Chat attempt three yields a different "Mike," who tells me he can't help me with cable cards and I should call the cable card activation line (aka the russians).

I try calling the russians again, who are typically friendly, ask me for my phone number, address and name, "send a signal" but can't help. They advise me to get another cable card.

Cable card six doesn't work. The russians, after*asking me for my phone number, address and name, "send a signal" which doesn't work, and they put me on hold to write a report and schedule a tech to come out. End of week two, because there are no technicians until next week.

So I'm two weeks in, the internet continues to work great, and my TiVo is dead in the water. We hooked up an antenna and are using a comination of Netflix and Hulu Plus to get most of the shows we're missing, but I'm trying to figure out what the extra $25/month I'm paying for cable is getting me, aside from the ability to stream Game of Thrones on my AppleTV.

Has anyone had any luck with Comcast in a situation like this? Is there some tiger team I can call who knows anything about cable cards? Is there anything they can do from their end besides "sending a signal?" Should I contact TiVo support instead?

I have no reason to suspect anything wrong with the TiVO box, since it worked fine at my other house and I hand moved it to this one. The line works, because my internet screams. If six out of six cable cards are broken, then Motorola has bigger problems, but it seems like the most likeley possiblilty is something is wrong with my account provisioning.

Another couple of weeks of this and I'm probably just going to ask for my money back and move to internet-only service. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by glensanford : 10-10-2013 at 05:49 PM.
glensanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Not much experience with Comcast, but random thought... Apparently they have "billing codes"? You can try having them make sure your billing code is correct for your package. (HD service with cablecard, not standard def service, etc.)

It's apparently happened before in the bay area.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-10-2013 at 06:18 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
glensanford

Yeah, I definitely asked about if my account was properly configured. at this point several different eyes have been on it, nobody saw a problem.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=316310

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363797

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
hershey4

I doubt its the billing account info because I am in a similar situation (not dead in the water, just missing VOD). I just switched Tivo boxes only... same m-card, same billing account, same network. had VOD before. Not now. Val=x035 (used to =x026). It's something magical in the pairing settings. Sure wish I knew what. The first Tivo box, one call to the Card activation line did the trick. Not so this time.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

My advice:

1) Make sure you are talking to the cable card installation line on the phone. Accept no substitutes.

2) Get that person to re-pair your card. After I finally got them to admit that my first card would not work, and swapped the card at the office, I had to tell one rep multiple times that I had a new card before I could convince her to re-enter the new ID numbers.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
glensanford

yeah, i've talked to literally 20 nice russian (ukrainian? definitely eastern european) men and women over the course of six cable cards, and each of them has read the host/data/serial numbers back to me before sending the pairing signal, which they politely sent over and over.

About have of the cards got "Con: No" and never connected. The other half got "Con: Yes" but I've never gotten the Validation to work. At this point I'm pretty sure the card works fine, I'm pretty sure the tivo works fine, and I'm pretty sure the cable line works fine. Not sure what other moving parts there are.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
scottgreenwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by glensanford View Post
yeah, i've talked to literally 20 nice russian (ukrainian? definitely eastern european) men and women over the course of six cable cards, and each of them has read the host/data/serial numbers back to me before sending the pairing signal, which they politely sent over and over.

About have of the cards got "Con: No" and never connected. The other half got "Con: Yes" but I've never gotten the Validation to work. At this point I'm pretty sure the card works fine, I'm pretty sure the tivo works fine, and I'm pretty sure the cable line works fine. Not sure what other moving parts there are.
Have they ever resolved your issue? I am having a similar problem with TimeWarner.
scottgreenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
glensanford

Took an elite team of three guys to figure out that the signal wasn't strong enough for the cable card, but was strong enough for the cable modem. all better now.