Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
I wasn't saying you should be paying attention to me...my own family doesn't care what I say - why should you?? ...I was just making fun of myself for being repetitive, and assuming a defensive position because I was sure somebody would eventually call me out on it...but I really like the show.

If you give it a shot, be prepared for something super dark and disturbing...almost "this is really on TV" disturbing.
I know. I was just giving you a hard time. Glad you mentioned the disturbing part as I was going to see if the 13 year old wanted to watch. I'm thinking not. Thanks for the heads up.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
gweempose

I didn't like the second season as much as the first, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was top notch. I thought both James Cromwell and Lily Rabe were fantastic. I also was quite impressed by Evan Peters' versatility. I'm not sure how I feel about a witch based story line, but I'm sure the acting will once again shine.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I was thankful that the Bs play tomorrow when I remembered this was starting tonight.

Are the Hawks playing on Wednesday Night Rivalry tonight? I thought I saw that somewhere, but I can't find a schedule for it. If so, that would make my night a little more complicated.
I don't know if it's called that, but they play the Blows tonight (on NBCSN)...and, yes, it's a re-emerging rivalry. I attended the Hawks/Blows games in St. Louis when I was in college in the 70s, and there were always multiple fights....in the stands.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #34
sharkster

Looking forward to this. A lot of acting talent! I'm really not into witch-stuff or anything, but I couldn't pass up watching these great actors, plus this particular franchise takes everything to a level of crazy that I rather enjoy.

I still need to watch S01 (started and something screwed up my SP so I never got back, but have the DVDs). Enjoyed S02, for the most part, although I feel like I need to watch it again. So much going on and I think I watched too many of the episodes too close to my bedtime (the time when I'm falling asleep on the couch a lot).
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #35
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I don't know if it's called that, but they play the Blows tonight (on NBCSN)...and, yes, it's a re-emerging rivalry. I attended the Hawks/Blows games in St. Louis when I was in college in the 70s, and there were always multiple fights....in the stands.
That's how the wednesday NBCN games are being advertised here.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #36
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I still need to watch S01 (started and something screwed up my SP so I never got back, but have the DVDs). Enjoyed S02, for the most part, although I feel like I need to watch it again. So much going on and I think I watched too many of the episodes too close to my bedtime (the time when I'm falling asleep on the couch a lot).
I just watched the first three eps of S01 on Netflix. I cannot believe I had not watched this before now! Glad I stumbled into this thread and I up have SP set up for S03 that begins tonight.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #37
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Yeah, but who listens to you anyway? Kidding. The recent promo spots I've seen recently looked pretty interesting, so I decided to poke my head into the thread and you did say exactly that in the second post but it's such a foreign concept, I wasn't sure I understood it correctly. I think I may check this one out.
Definitely a foreign concept as applied to TV series, but it is a model that has deep roots: it's basically repertory theater, where Players in a troupe would do multiple plays. Different stories, same actors, playing different parts from play to play. The brilliant thing about it, as done here is: (1) it lets each season tell a complete story; and (2) high-calibre actors (like Lange) that might not otherwise sign on to a role in a typical continuing television series because of its open-endedness are more likely to come on board because it's "just a season." Thing is, it's such good tv that once they come in board they've tended to stay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #38
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

For some reason I was relying on my old "American Horror" season pass to pick this up- glad I double checked as it did not.

That was close!!!

Check your DVR!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #39
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Yeah, because the show name changes every season you have to reset the SP. Annoying.

But worth it, I hope! Due to lack of tuners I have to get one of the repeats so I won't be watching for a day or two (IIRC).
Old 10-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #40
JammasterC
giggty, giggty

I was so excited for this.

It better get back to terrifying me.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #41
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Loved season 1. Hated season 2. I actually gave up after about three-four episodes.

This one looks very promising. Especially because of Kathy Bates.

I love movies with people that have supernatural powers. Carrie comes to mind as I was watching. Also surprised to learn the teen lead (Zoe) is the younger sister of Vera Farmiga (Norman Bates' mom on Bates Motel, among other things).
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #42
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

Interesting show. I'll keep watching.
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #43
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I hope this season is better. Season 2 was awful with a capital A.
I agree. I loved season 1. Watched all of season 2 but didn't enjoy most of it. First episode of season 3 was pretty good! I am looking forward to this season!

I love the concept of the same actors playing different parts every year. For years I have wondered what it would be like to see a drama played by the cast of Friends or something similar!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #44
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Watched this one last night... looks fantastic. I mean, Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Angela Bassett... are you kidding me!!

Although S2 wasn't as good as S1, I still enjoyed it a lot. I think if they'd cut out 1 to 3 episodes in S2 and condensed the storylines it would have been great. It felt to me like they didn't have enough material to fill out the season so it got a little draggy at times.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Watched this one last night... looks fantastic. I mean, Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Angela Bassett... are you kidding me!!

Although S2 wasn't as good as S1, I still enjoyed it a lot. I think if they'd cut out 1 to 3 episodes in S2 and condensed the storylines it would have been great. It felt to me like they didn't have enough material to fill out the season so it got a little draggy at times.
I'm with you. The alien stuff was completely extraneous.

And I loved 3x01! This could be the best one yet.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #46
danterner
Not it!

I thought this was a very promising start to the season, as well. I really enjoyed it! My only regret was that

Spoiler:
a few of my favorite actors from prior seasons seemed to get quickly sidelined this season after just what amounted to brief cameos. Then again, this is AHS and so it is possible they could be woven back into the story one way or another (as flashbacks, resurrections, voodoo zombies, ghosts, or who knows what else - everything is pretty much on the table with this series and particularly with this setting and subject matter). It would be a shame if they were really just "one and done."

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #47
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I thought this was a very promising start to the season, as well. I really enjoyed it! My only regret was that

Spoiler:
a few of my favorite actors from prior seasons seemed to get quickly sidelined this season after just what amounted to brief cameos. Then again, this is AHS and so it is possible they could be woven back into the story one way or another (as flashbacks, resurrections, voodoo zombies, ghosts, or who knows what else - everything is pretty much on the table with this series and particularly with this setting and subject matter). It would be a shame if they were really just "one and done."
I have to imagine that the latter is the case.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #48
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Already way better than S2. I was watching S2 out of obligation most of the time.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #49
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I don't know if it's because S2 was my first AHS experience, but I liked it more than season 1.

I wasn't overly thrilled about the premise of season 3 once I started watching it, but I still enjoyed it.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #50
2004raptor

Quote:
I don't know if it's because S2 was my first AHS experience, but I liked it more than season 1.
I was thinking the same thing. I never even heard of the show until S2's premier episode. Then I didn't even watch season 2 until 5 or 6 episodes in. Watched them over 2 or 3 nights and I was hooked.

But then my wife like season one better

Either way, I enjoyed S3e1.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #51
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

You guys need to watch S1; if you liked S2, you'll love S1...
Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #52
headless chicken

I have a feeling this will be my favorite show of the year, hands down. I mean Ryan Murphy + witches? Are you kidding me?! That's the recipe for crack cocaine.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #53
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

And a ratings hit - "Coven premiered to series-high ratings this week (5.5 million total viewers, a 44 percent improvement on last season's "Asylum") and topped all of its broadcast competition among adults under 35."
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #54
DLiquid
Progressive User

Season three has started off so much better than season two, which I just couldn't make it through. I liked season one, though. It's interesting, since each season is a miniseries, you don't have to give up on the show when it gets bad, you can just give up on that season.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #55
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I may have missed a part of the first episode. I did see the part where Jessica Lange's character dug up Kathy Bates. What I'm not clear on is how she knew she was buried alive. If Angela Basset appeared in the first episode, I missed it.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #56
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
What I'm not clear on is how she knew she was buried alive.
Spoiler:
One of the girl witches is clairvoyant and "heard" Kathy Bates. She pointed to the ground where she was buried telling Jessica Lange's character. Angela Basset appeared in a flashback in the first episode. She "poisoned" Bates.

Last edited by Malcontent : 10-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #57
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Spoiler:
One of the girl witches is clairvoyant and "heard" Kathy Bates. She pointed to the ground where she was buried telling Jessica Lange's character. Angela Basset appeared in a flashback in the first episode. She "poisoned" Bates.
Thanks, I don't remember that part.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #58
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Thanks, I don't remember that part.
Spoiler:
Here's what I don't get: Lange is the Supreme, and the Supreme is supposed to have all the powers, right? So wouldn't that mean that she is clairvoyant and should have been able to hear Kathy Bates, too, even without the girl witch pointing it out?

I'm really liking this season, so far. And I feel like it definitely merits per-episode threads, and not just a season-long catch-all.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #59
sharkster

Finally (!) I watched E01 and E02 last night. This one is very interesting and I'm really enjoying it so far. Love the Jessica Lange character.

My favorite line from E01 (not spoilery) was the Jessica Lange character with "Don't make me drop a house on you.". Great line, perfectly executed.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #60
secondclaw

As a photographer the show is really fascinating to me. Their use of fish-eye lenses, symmetrical composition, and just an obvious attempt at clever cinematography is really appreciated. Acting is superb as well, of course, and so is the soundtrack.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote