TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
DLL66

Said Good Bye Tivo

I decided to update my viewing experience and traded my 2 Series 2s for Directv's Genie. I don't have anything negative to say about my Series 2 because they have served me well for the past 12 years.

I'll still be around on this forum! The forum is great!
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
I decided to update my viewing experience and traded my 2 Series 2s for Directv's Genie. I don't have anything negative to say about my Series 2 because they have served me well for the past 12 years.

So ... how much is this costing you, up front and monthly or yearly? And what is your contract obligation?

How many TV sets does this cover? How many simultaneous feeds can you watch and/or record?

After all, if you're still going to hang out here, you need something to talk about.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I would like to know that as well, give a great oportunity to compare the GENIE to the Roamio line.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
DLL66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
So ... how much is this costing you, up front and monthly or yearly? And what is your contract obligation?

How many TV sets does this cover? How many simultaneous feeds can you watch and/or record?

After all, if you're still going to hang out here, you need something to talk about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I would like to know that as well, give a great oportunity to compare the GENIE to the Roamio line.
I've been with DirecTV this go around since 2007. Up front cost was the $36 for the installation and a 2 year extension. They waived the equipment cost because I mentioned that ATT Uverse offered me $200 for their DVR service. Cost of the service is $13 a month and DirecTV has waived that for a year.

I've got the Genie and the Mini Genie that operates two TV's independently. It can record up to 5 different shows at a time.

My wife and I were paying for HDTV, but mostly watching SD through the Series 2s. The only negative that I have is that I purchased Lifetime Service when I bought them. I surely got my money's worth with that.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
swinca
Menace to society

Quote:
My wife and I were paying for HDTV, but mostly watching SD through the Series 2s. The only negative that I have is that I purchased Lifetime Service when I bought them. I surely got my money's worth with that.
I hated to let my lifetime Series 2 go too, but it was time. I upgraded my last SD TV to an HD model and dropped the Dish for DirecTV. I got more than my money's worth from the Tivo.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinca View Post
I hated to let my lifetime Series 2 go too, but it was time. I upgraded my last SD TV to an HD model and dropped the Dish for DirecTV. I got more than my money's worth from the Tivo.
How is Direct TV DVR and The Hopper from Dish compared to your Tivo software wise?
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
How is Direct TV DVR and The Hopper from Dish compared to your Tivo software wise?
Comparing a modern Hopper to a Series 2 isn't going to be much of a comparison. I would hope that the Hopper blows the Series 2 away!

The Series 2 came out in 2002 - it is a Dinosaur... But it sure does sound like the OP got the value out of his money on it.

I notice Direct TV is marketing the heck out of it's DVR and services right now. It doesn't surprise me to see more move towards that platform.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:

When you say you traded them, did you have to physically give them to DirecTV?

Because for people on analog cable, those lifetimed S2s are still quite usable.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Series3Sub

Also, satellite stands by their equipment and will replace at no charge or, in the case of Dish, shipping charge only, unless one has Protection Plan, then no postage charges. They will send out. Dealing with a dead or truly malfunctioning TiVo through TiVo is a money wasting nightmare. If this is just a dead HDD, than power users can fix that themselves, but the masses are out of luck dealing with TiVo. One is better off going through Weeknees, but they are pricey, but at least they send you a working box, unlike TiVo much of the time. Again, one must consider that the masses are not going to do any DIY. This is one of the reasons TiVo is often passed over by so many: the upfront and eventual additional costs to owning one. Most people choose the freebie route because they can afford monthly charges and the Sat Co will replace malfunctioning equipment. TiVo is in no position to compete with that. TiVo, a really great technology, really is for the affluent and wealthy.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
If this is just a dead HDD, than power users can fix that themselves, but the masses are out of luck dealing with TiVo.
TiVo changed how drive replacement works in the Roamio line. They installed the basic system software into flash memory so you can simply drop in any blank hard drive, up to 3TB, and the system will automatically recognize it and use it. And with the 4 tuner Roamio basic model the power supply is now an external power brick. What this means is that the two most common reasons for TiVo failure are now easily user serviceable, no hacking or special skills needed. Replacing a power supply is as simple as buying a new plug, and replacing a hard drive is nothing more then plugging two connectors into the drive. (SATA and power)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
mattack

Though don't you still need Torx screwdrivers to open a Tivo, and 'officially' opening the unit voids your warranty?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
... and replacing a hard drive is nothing more then plugging two connectors into the drive. (SATA and power)
So does that mean they've abandoned the combo connector introduced in the S3s?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Actually I haven't looked. I bought the Pro so no reason to upgrade. I just assumed it was separate SATA and power cables. But if it is a combo connector then that would be even simpler.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
DLL66

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you say you traded them, did you have to physically give them to DirecTV?

Because for people on analog cable, those lifetimed S2s are still quite usable.
I didn't actually trade. More like shelved the S2s.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Actually I haven't looked. I bought the Pro so no reason to upgrade. I just assumed it was separate SATA and power cables. But if it is a combo connector then that would be even simpler.
It is a combo connector on the hard drive, a hard drive upgrade/replacement could not be any easier as T10 and T15 tool can be purchased almost anywhere.
Things may get more complicated when or if somebody gets tools to use a 4Tb drive in the Roamio as WK has already done, but I would bet the demand to go to 600h of HD record time from 450h is somewhat low.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
Also, satellite stands by their equipment and will replace at no charge or, in the case of Dish, shipping charge only, unless one has Protection Plan, then no postage charges. They will send out. Dealing with a dead or truly malfunctioning TiVo through TiVo is a money wasting nightmare.
You are also in some cases paying an arm and a leg for satellite. Their solution at least in my experience of standing by the equipment is to send a replacement sometimes for a fee and then extend your contract for two more years. DirecTV released an update that broke some boxes so they would no longer be compatible with Sunday Ticket. He had to pay $100 for a replacement box and they extended him another two years. The $100 got him a refurb old box that was no longer made.

DirecTV also charges you $20 if your access card goes bad.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
DLL66

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
You are also in some cases paying an arm and a leg for satellite. Their solution at least in my experience of standing by the equipment is to send a replacement sometimes for a fee and then extend your contract for two more years. DirecTV released an update that broke some boxes so they would no longer be compatible with Sunday Ticket. He had to pay $100 for a replacement box and they extended him another two years. The $100 got him a refurb old box that was no longer made.

DirecTV also charges you $20 if your access card goes bad.

Arm and Leg? I haven't spent a whole lot of money for the Genie. So far about $45.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
innocentfreak

Quote:
Arm and Leg? I haven't spent a whole lot of money for the Genie. So far about $45.
I am talking about the cost of service for DirecTV.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I am talking about the cost of service for DirecTV.
and he did say "in some cases"
Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
palover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though don't you still need Torx screwdrivers to open a Tivo, and 'officially' opening the unit voids your warranty?
Torx drivers are cheap and easy to find. Most multifunction screwdriver kits have 'em. As for Tivo's warranty, I don't know what they charge for replacing a hard drive, but after 90 days you pay for labor, and the chances of a drive going bad after 3 months and before 12 are slim.

I'm coming from cable to Tivo, not from DirectTV, and even though I could easily swap a cable co. DVR out when it gave me problems, it just seemed like I was always swapping one problem box for another. Paying $50 a month rental for a couple of sorry, 2 tuner boxes got really old. I'm happy to take my chances with Tivo, especially with the basic Roamio making the main problem issues easily fixable.
palover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by palover View Post
Torx drivers are cheap and easy to find. Most multifunction screwdriver kits have 'em. As for Tivo's warranty, I don't know what they charge for replacing a hard drive, but after 90 days you pay for labor, and the chances of a drive going bad after 3 months and before 12 are slim.

I'm coming from cable to Tivo, not from DirectTV, and even though I could easily swap a cable co. DVR out when it gave me problems, it just seemed like I was always swapping one problem box for another. Paying $50 a month rental for a couple of sorry, 2 tuner boxes got really old. I'm happy to take my chances with Tivo, especially with the basic Roamio making the main problem issues easily fixable.

As far as I'm concerned, the main problem with any and all of them is that if anything goes wrong that requires replacing the unit you lose all of your recordings. Even VCR's weren't that screwed up.