TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Maxnl

Replacing Hard Drive Question

Hello all.

I have a TiVo HD TCD652160 with no hard drive at all, but with lifetime service. I also have a TiVo HD XL TCD658000 with lifetime as well. I was thinking I would buy a drive and be able to copy over the TiVo software from the working box to put into this box, but I worry that I might end up with a 1Tb drive with slightly less usable space than the one currently in the TiVo.

All the instructions I've read talk about expanding the partitions to cover the whole drive and make it all available as recording space, but I haven't seen anything about possibly shrinking the partitions is necessary.
Is there a way to accomplish this is I need to?

Also, are the WD AV series drives still the only really recommended drives, or are there others that people are using these days? The FAQ at the top hasn't been updated in a few years as far as I can tell.

Thanks to anyone and everyone that can offer any assistance or input. It's greatly appreciated.
Maxnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

This question would probably be better asked in the upgrade forum, to be honest.

You use generic "in the Tivo" in a place or two which makes your question hard to follow- "in which tivo"?

Anyhow I think you are looking to copy the 1TB to another drive to drop in another box. I would just get a 2TB box and use the JMFS software to copy it. In the other forum I believe you may be able to find other versions of the software to use for the image.

Why are you thinking you would need to shrink an image? Seems like a waste of time with drives being so cheap these days.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Maxnl

When I said currently in the tivo, I meant the currently operational tivo.

I know that all drives come with some variation, two different 1Tb drives can have different actual usable space. Additionally, the AV series drives are still a bit more than traditional desktop hard drives.

I don't want to invest too much into this box since I don't think it will be used much longer and will probably end up being sold sooner or later.
Maxnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Then you don't need an AV drive. Most folks do not.

The price difference of a 1tb or 2tb is minimal ($10/$15) and should probably pay for itself when you sell. If you must go smaller, search out an image file.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You cannot put a drive with a TCD658 into a TCD652. Thery have to be from the exact same model. You can download an image for the 652 and use WinMFS or MFSlive (with the proper image file.)
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxnl View Post
Hello all.

I have a TiVo HD TCD652160 with no hard drive at all, but with lifetime service. I also have a TiVo HD XL TCD658000 with lifetime as well. I was thinking I would buy a drive and be able to copy over the TiVo software from the working box to put into this box, but I worry that I might end up with a 1Tb drive with slightly less usable space than the one currently in the TiVo.

All the instructions I've read talk about expanding the partitions to cover the whole drive and make it all available as recording space, but I haven't seen anything about possibly shrinking the partitions is necessary.
Is there a way to accomplish this is I need to?

Also, are the WD AV series drives still the only really recommended drives, or are there others that people are using these days? The FAQ at the top hasn't been updated in a few years as far as I can tell.

Thanks to anyone and everyone that can offer any assistance or input. It's greatly appreciated.
I booted a 652 with a 658 image as an experiment, and it did boot, but I'm sure the first time it "phoned home" it, and the TiVo, Inc. servers, would have gotten rather confused, and since I had a valid 652 image I didn't need to continue the experiment and would only do so out of desperation.

If you have the necessary gear to have both drives connected at the same time to copy one to the other, then you should be able to use either the MFS Live cd v1.4 or the WinMFS program running under Windows to restore a 652 image to the blank drive and leave the 1TB in the 658 where it belongs.

This would probably be faster than having to take two TiVos apart and copy the entire 658 drive.

There are some older 1TB drives that should work okay, but I haven't had the money to throw around to try the newer ones, and I think I've read of some folks who did have trouble with newer models.

I don't know if it's how 4k sector "advanced format" is done on them, or because of being 6Gb/s instead of 3 or 1.5, which were the data rates available when the S2 and S3 TiVos were designed and built, or if it's because of some other reason entirely of which I'm unaware.

You should be able to get a WD20EURS for $100 or less, and it's known to work in all the S3 models, as well as the S4s.

I can hook you up with 652 images that are 11.0k (the version, as far as I know, needed to deal with partitions bigger than 1.2TB, which you'll have on a fully expanded 2TB drive), which is the TiVo software version the S3s have been running the past year or 3.

There has been a more recent release, 11.0m, which basically is 11.0k with the "expired cookie" problem that broke TiVo Desktop from last February fixed.

If you restore 11.0k it should update itself to m without any problems.

I have successfully used the WD1001FALS, the WD10EACS (after disabling Intellipark with wdidle3.exe), and the pre-being bought out by Seagate Samsung HD103SJ, each of which is a 1TB drive, in S2s (with a suitable SATA/IDE adapter), so I have no doubt they'd be fine in S3s (though I'd put an extra fan on the FALS 'cause the Caviar Blacks run toasty) if you could find any in good shape.

But my 648 and both 652s are chugging happily away with WD20EURSs in them.

Because there's no such thing as too much hard drive space.

Even though you won't need an adapter to run a SATA drive on an IDE controller, you could read through the adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

to get an idea of what 1TB drives people have successfully used in S1s and S2s. It's probably got more recent info than any other thread, and if it worked in an S1 or S2 with an adapter it should be fine in an S3 hooked direct.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote