TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
headless chicken

Angry Verizon FiOS now charging whopping $5 per card

As of September 2013, Verizon is now charging $5/month for each CableCARD. Absolute highway robbery!

Optimum (Cablevision), my previous cable provider only charged $2 per card. Comcast customers get their first card free of charge and second card at a subsidized cost if its for use in the Series3. Meanwhile Verizon customers with S3 are getting screwed over and now paying $10 per month, QUADRUPLE what a Comcast customer pays to operate an original Series3 OLED.

What can be done about this? Aren't FCC rules and regulations in place to ensure cable companies don't engage in this kind of unethical price gauging aimed at discouraging use of third party hardware??
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
WRX09MD

The price just went to 5 for me in my area also. Maryland.
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
headless chicken

I think the new pricing is nationwide, not regional.

I started a complaint thread on the official Verizon forum where it will be seen my someone with at least a modicum of authority:
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Y...e/idi-p/630499

If you're as outraged as I am please post a message in that thread in protest of penalizing Series3 users. Verizon's CC prices are bad enough being double their major competitors, but charging S3 users for not one but two cards to operate the same device crosses a line.

The last time I posted a complaint on Verizon's forum I got an e-mail and a call from the legal department within a few days of posting to followup, so its worth making your voice heard.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
mr.unnatural

Last time I checked it was $5.99 for a cablecard in Howard Co., MD, on FIOS. They hiked up the price quite a while ago. I'm still grandfathered in at the $3.99 price.

People shouldn't be bitching at Verizon about the use of two cablecards with a S3 Tivo. That's a flaw in the Tivo design. Unfortunately, multi-stream cards (i.e. M-cards) weren't available at the time the S3 was developed so it had to use the existing technology. The ability to use a single M-card in the Tivo HD was a hardware design change based on what was currently available. It is what it is. If you don't like it, go with a newer model Tivo or switch to a HTPC with cablecard tuners and get more bang for your buck (up to six tuners with a single cablecard).
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I'm still grandfathered in at the $3.99 price.
How long have you had service with Verizon?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
jay_man2
jay_man-also

That explains the mysterious $2 increase in my monthly charges. I have two cable cards.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
WRX09MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
We should all be grandfathered in at our current rate and new customers should get the increase.
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
We should all be grandfathered in at our current rate and new customers should get the increase.
Then I should have been grandfathered into the $2.99 price I got back in 2007. I had eight cable cards with FiOS. Then they raised it to $3.99 a few years ago and I got down to three or four cable cards. Now that the price has been raised to $4.99(it just showed up on my recent bill) I am down to one cable card with a Roamio Pro and two Minis(and one Premiere with OTA).

The solution is to get a new or used TiVo that does not need two cable cards. You won't miss the OLED display. When I first switched from my three S3 OLED boxes to Premiere boxes I thought I would miss having that screen. But now I couldn't imagine going back to it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
bmgoodman

Quote:
now paying $10 per month, QUADRUPLE what a Comcast customer pays to operate an original Series3 OLED.
I've lately been paying $9.95 per cable card, less a $2.50 per card discount for having my own hardware. So my S3 is costing me $14.90. On top of that, they charge me $10 for HD (a per-home charge).
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The solution is to get a new or used TiVo that does not need two cable cards. You won't miss the OLED display. When I first switched from my three S3 OLED boxes to Premiere boxes I thought I would miss having that screen. But now I couldn't imagine going back to it.
Not everyone wants to or can afford to upgrade to the latest model. Why should I pay $800 + tax for a 1TB HD Roamio with lifetime service when I have an upgraded 1TB Series3 with lifetime that works perfectly fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I've lately been paying $9.95 per cable card, less a $2.50 per card discount for having my own hardware. So my S3 is costing me $14.90. On top of that, they charge me $10 for HD (a per-home charge).
That's ludicrous. Who is your cable provider?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

Quote:
I've been with them for at least six years now. When I bought my first S3 Tivo, cablecards were only $2.99 each. The price went up to $3.99 after a couple of years.

I just checked my bill and it would appear that Verizon jacked up my cablecards to $4.99 each. I thought I was supposed to be grandfathered in at the old price. Looks like I'll be calling Verizon next week to complain.

I've been thinking about swapping out my two Ceton InfiniTV4's for a single PCI-e InfiniTV6. Verizon may have just made up my mind for me.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Not everyone wants to or can afford to upgrade to the latest model. Why should I pay $800 + tax for a 1TB HD Roamio with lifetime service when I have an upgraded 1TB Series3 with lifetime that works perfectly fine?
I said used or new TiVo. There are plenty of used Lifetime Premiere models that handle H.264 that are on the used market that cost almost half that. And also have four tuners and a 2TB drive. So you get double your current tuners and twice the storage.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
HerronScott

Quote:
Meanwhile Verizon customers with S3 are getting screwed over and now paying $10 per month, QUADRUPLE what a Comcast customer pays to operate an original Series3 OLED.
More than quadruple. Our price is $1.15 for the 1st CableCARD and the 2nd in the same device is free. I am paying $1.15 for each of the CableCARDs in my 2nd S3 OLED but I'm good with that.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
headless chicken

Quote:
I said used or new TiVo. There are plenty of used Lifetime Premiere models that handle H.264 that are on the used market that cost almost half that. And also have four tuners and a 2TB drive. So you get double your current tuners and twice the storage.
You're missing the point. Why pay any money when there may be a free, zero dollar solution? You said so yourself said in another thread:

Quote:
If you can get them to waive the fee that is great. I only wish they would have done it years ago when I had those three OLED S3 boxes along with several TiVoHD boxes.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
More than quadruple. Our price is $1.15 for the 1st CableCARD and the 2nd in the same device is free. I am paying $1.15 for each of the CableCARDs in my 2nd S3 OLED but I'm good with that.

Scott
That's is very reasonable pricing. Who is your cable provider?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
You're missing the point. Why pay any money when there may be a free, zero dollar solution? You said so yourself said in another thread:
Of course it would be great if you could get them to waive the second cable card fee. I hope you get what you are asking for. But I wouldn't be holding my breath.

And knowing how Verizon is, even if you can get them to drop it, the time spend doing it would probably not be worth it. I look back on last year and all the time I wasted talking to people when they screwed up my upgrade to GPON and my services went down. I would not have gone through that many hours of aggravation for a cable card. But since all my services were down I had no choice.

And years ago when I had another issue I got credits issued but had to spend at least an hour on the phone each month to get them. It wasn't worth it and eventually I gave up since I was spending far too much time. Verizon billing has always been atrocious. If the FiOS product was not so good I would have left them years ago because of their billing. Although things seem to be better now than in the past. But I still read about people having problems with billing.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #17
HerronScott

Quote:
That's is very reasonable pricing. Who is your cable provider?
Comcast.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
Solman

I'm very happy with my set-up. Two tivo series 3 hooked up to a HD antenna, a premiere with a cable card, and an old series 2 in the back yard that I use only for transferred shows from the other tivos. My premier has a 2tb hd and I just upgraded the two series 3s so they each have 2tb hd as well. All are lifetime. All air channels are recorded on the two series 3s and the premiere is set for cable channels only. I pay $150/mo for all channels (ultimate) including all premium channels, landline, and Internet. This is a 2 yr contract up in march, when it goes up to $180. My home has 10 TVs and I can shoot any tivo signal (or DVD) to any room I want with a remote switch. If I'm in the bedroom I can switch to any component I want using my master remote, while the wife watches another tivo in her sewing room. YES, I do watch WAY too much TV! Oh yeah, the ten TVs include one in the bathroom, two in the back yard, one in the garage, one in the office, and one in each bedroom. My series two is 12 years old now and kept in the back yard thanks to the nice southern cal weather. And back to the thread- my one cable card is $4.99 and is part of that $150.
Solman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I would gladly pay $5 for a CC if it meant not having to suffer the hassle and unreliability of Tuning Adapters (which FIOS never uses). Even figured at just the minimum wage, my time spent rebooting and talking to TWC support exceeds the additional $2.50/month. (CC's are $2.50/month for me.)

You guys should count your blessings!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
SNJpage1

When it came time to renew my yearly contract with Comcast I skipped the regular service person and asked to be connected to the department that deals with contracts and fees. I was able to get the cost of the CC and the outlet fee waivered in return for not going the dish network.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
mr.unnatural

I've been noticing a promo on Verizon's website that caught my interest so I finally bit the bullet last week and signed up for it. If you commit to a 2-year contract you can lock in the current rates with no price increase. You also get a discount for the 2-year agreement. I signed up and locked in my landline phone, internet, and FIOS TV service for $125 per month. As a bonus, they bumped up my internet download speed from 20Mbps to 50Mbps as part of the package. There are a few other extra features I didn't have before, but I need to check and see what they're all about. One has to do with digital voice mail or something along those lines.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
hooper

Quote:
I've been noticing a promo on Verizon's website that caught my interest so I finally bit the bullet last week and signed up for it. If you commit to a 2-year contract you can lock in the current rates with no price increase. You also get a discount for the 2-year agreement. I signed up and locked in my landline phone, internet, and FIOS TV service for $125 per month. As a bonus, they bumped up my internet download speed from 20Mbps to 50Mbps as part of the package. There are a few other extra features I didn't have before, but I need to check and see what they're all about. One has to do with digital voice mail or something along those lines.
Hardware rental fees are no longer locked in or guaranteed in their contracts. In theory they could offer you a cable card for free for 1 month and then jack the price up to $15/mo. Also if you move out of the Fios service area, then you pay the ETF on what remains of the 2 year contract. They used to waive it, now you pay it no matter what.

I will never again sign a contract with Verizon.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
synch22

Rolled off S3 and HD with lifetime to roamio and 2 minis

Lifetime TiVos will fetch $225-250. Covers the minis at least. Good luck roamio is light years ahead of theS3 models.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I'll need to check it out. I wouldn't mind signing a two year deal to keep my current rate of $150 a month for 150/65 Internet, ultimate HD, and digital voice.
Was the deal just listed somewhere on the website?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
Hardware rental fees are no longer locked in or guaranteed in their contracts. In theory they could offer you a cable card for free for 1 month and then jack the price up to $15/mo. Also if you move out of the Fios service area, then you pay the ETF on what remains of the 2 year contract. They used to waive it, now you pay it no matter what.

I will never again sign a contract with Verizon.
That's no different than what any provider will offer. Most of them will offer you an introductory rate and lock you in for one or two years and then jack up the rates when the period expires. That's just the way the game is played.

I used to feel the same way about DirecTV (and still do). However, I won't be going anywhere for at least two years and Verizon FIOS gives me the best TV and internet package vs. any other provider so I have no problem signing a contract if it keeps my costs down.

Obviously, this could be a problem for anyone that may be more transient than me.

Case in point - I used to lose the TV signal with DirecTV and Comcast anytime the weather got severe. I've never had a TV service outage in the six years or so that I've been with Verizon, except when we lost power, which has only happened a few times due to severe storms. No other provider can offer the same internet speeds that Verizon provides.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

You want sympathy?

Comcast was changing me over $12 a month per card, with an $8 outlet fee for the second card in the same TiVo.

That's why I no longer have Comcast.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
You want sympathy?

Comcast was changing me over $12 a month per card, with an $8 outlet fee for the second card in the same TiVo.

That's why I no longer have Comcast.
That's unusual for Comcast, but I guess it varies with your location. Most Comcast users report getting the first card for free and each additional card for as little as $1.50 per month.

I dropped Comcast TV service over 15 years ago but I got gouged for their wideband internet for about 10 years while I had DirecTV because it was the fastest around. When FIOS came to my area I couldn't drop Comcast fast enough.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
That's unusual for Comcast, but I guess it varies with your location. Most Comcast users report getting the first card for free and each additional card for as little as $1.50 per month.

I dropped Comcast TV service over 15 years ago but I got gouged for their wideband internet for about 10 years while I had DirecTV because it was the fastest around. When FIOS came to my area I couldn't drop Comcast fast enough.
Comcast charged me a ridiculous fee for the card and an outlet fee on top of that. This FiOS increase sucks, but it's still better than Comcast ever was for me.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
That's against their own policy. http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ut-cablecards/

First card is free, second card is at "nominal fee," usually $1.50
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
bmgoodman

Quote:
That's against their own policy. http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ut-cablecards/

First card is free, second card is at "nominal fee," usually $1.50
Comcast seems to have no qualms disregarding their policy. Believe me, I tried and tried and escalated, and *still* I'm paying ridiculous "outlet charges", including 2 for one Series 3.

I gave up, finally. I plan to get one Roamio Pro and do away with the other Tivos and ditch the little digital tuner for a mini.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote