Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
That sounds exactly like what I am seeing.

Others in this thread have indicated calling the special Comcast Cable Card number and having them ensure it is configured using the TP (TiVo Premiere?) setting.
I caved in and called the Comcast CableCard line. In under 5 minutes, the issue was resolved for me. There was -one tiny additional setting- (apparently) that needed to be configured to show that I could support Xfinity OnDemand that had not been toggled when I moved the CableCard to my Roamio from my TiVoHD on Tuesday. When I called just now to say that all other channels were fine, and that my symptoms were that an OnDemand show would play for a few seconds and then stop, the woman on the phone sighed knowingly, and and said, "just one moment, sir..." then asked me to try again. All was well.

So - if you have a Roamio, and otherwise have a working CC configuration (other than Xfinity OnDemand) Comcast should be able to fix this quickly without having to re-pair your CableCard.

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
garryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
I caved in and called the Comcast CableCard line. In under 5 minutes, the issue was resolved for me. There was -one tiny additional setting- (apparently) that needed to be configured to show that I could support Xfinity OnDemand that had not been toggled when I moved the CableCard to my Roamio from my TiVoHD on Tuesday. When I called just now to say that all other channels were fine, and that my symptoms were that an OnDemand show would play for a few seconds and then stop, the woman on the phone sighed knowingly, and and said, "just one moment, sir..." then asked me to try again. All was well.

So - if you have a Roamio, and otherwise have a working CC configuration (other than Xfinity OnDemand) Comcast should be able to fix this quickly without having to re-pair your CableCard.

John
+1
I too had good cablecard pairing but after the Xfinity OnDemand app appeared I had the "video freeze after a few seconds" issue. I live close to an Xfinity store, so instead of calling the dedicated cablecard number again and doing the transfer/hold dance, I drove there to talk directly with a service rep, who happened to be the same one that had issued my cablecard a few days earlier -- at that time I had told him the cablecard was for a TiVo Roamio model. I explained my issue and asked if my account had the "TiVo Premier" option applied to it, and it did not. When he issued the cablecard, he had been unaware of the "TiVo Premier" option and its relevance to the TiVo/Xfinity OnDemand app. He was a bit dubious that applying the option to my account would do any good, but he did so anyway. When I returned home VOD was working just fine

The good news is that this particular issue should be solvable by first tier support, but it also sounds like there's a disconnect in Comcast's information pipeline regarding what's required for TiVo and VOD in the first place...
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram501 View Post
. ... If it's not paired you will see a "??" in the "Val" field. If it's paired you should see a "V".
Thanks for that info. I have Premier not Roamio but this was helpful. In my case I see "Val ? 0x1F" Kinda looks like the "?" could be a delimiter for the Val question. And 0x1F is 00011111 and probably indicates 8 different settings.

In any case, I guess I am going to have to call. I think I may not be paired because HBO and VOD are not there.

The installation seemed to be a big chicken and egg issue because the installer was certainly not going to wait around for 2 hours of Tivo downloading and installing everything. And he couldn't do channel testing without this. This was a brand new Tivo Premiere, brand new cable and internet installation.

I didn't know there was a special Comcast Cable Card number. All I know is 800-comcast. I will have to look around for that # to hopefully skip some layers.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #34
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
Thanks for that info. I have Premier not Roamio but this was helpful. In my case I see "Val ? 0x1F" Kinda looks like the "?" could be a delimiter for the Val question. And 0x1F is 00011111 and probably indicates 8 different settings.

In any case, I guess I am going to have to call. I think I may not be paired because HBO and VOD are not there.

The installation seemed to be a big chicken and egg issue because the installer was certainly not going to wait around for 2 hours of Tivo downloading and installing everything. And he couldn't do channel testing without this. This was a brand new Tivo Premiere, brand new cable and internet installation.

I didn't know there was a special Comcast Cable Card number. All I know is 800-comcast. I will have to look around for that # to hopefully skip some layers.
Comcast special # 877-405-2298

Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #35
hershey4

I'm hopeful... I called and got the pairing completed fairly painlessly. HBO was on in a jif. She thought she was setting up On Demand because she said it would take about 45 minutes for everything to download. But alas no VOD after all. :-(

I will call again tomorrow. I will mention the Tivo Premiere setting to see if that helps.

(But this still beats the 6 weeks of torture I went thru getting Comcast to snake an underground wire successfully!!)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #36
lessd

Quote:
I'm hopeful... I called and got the pairing completed fairly painlessly. HBO was on in a jif. She thought she was setting up On Demand because she said it would take about 45 minutes for everything to download. But alas no VOD after all. :-(

I will call again tomorrow. I will mention the Tivo Premiere setting to see if that helps.

(But this still beats the 6 weeks of torture I went thru getting Comcast to snake an underground wire successfully!!)
Had the exact VOD Comcast problem your having, had to have a tec out to my home, he could not get it to work, so he changed cable cards, paired the new cable card and VOD worked, no problem. I can't see why the old cable card did not work with VOD as it did in my TP.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #37
hershey4

Called again and he verified various settings, (V=x026) and sent a new signal. This time I got the VOD app via Find Programs, but still do not have Channel 1 VOD. He said Ch-1 would take 45 min to an hour to complete and download. Seems that's their mantra when things are not going quite right!!! I've heard it a lot!

Is there much difference in the interface? Should I pursue getting Channel 1 setup?

I discovered that Fast Forward is disabled with VOD, so after all this, I probably won't be using VOD a lot. Commercials...what a drag!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #38
Rkkeller

I do not think you will get Channel 1. Comcast VOD is an app in the menu.

Last edited by Rkkeller : 09-11-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #39
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I second that you don't get channel 1 on TiVo. You use the OnDemand app.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #40
cr33p

I too have had Ondemand in my area for quite some time, it has never worked, my cable card was never paired, got my new Roamio, paired my card, ensured she had "premiere" selected and it has worked fine since.

Also, I have never seen channel 1 VOD work on any of my TiVo's
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #41
jmpage2

Quote:
Called again and he verified various settings, (V=x026) and sent a new signal. This time I got the VOD app via Find Programs, but still do not have Channel 1 VOD. He said Ch-1 would take 45 min to an hour to complete and download. Seems that's their mantra when things are not going quite right!!! I've heard it a lot!

Is there much difference in the interface? Should I pursue getting Channel 1 setup?

I discovered that Fast Forward is disabled with VOD, so after all this, I probably won't be using VOD a lot. Commercials...what a drag!
VOD does not inherently disable ff/rew it depends on the show, HBO during their freeview last weekend allowed FF/REW of all of their programming that I played.

Also, I don't know where you got the idea you would ever get VOD on Channel 1, I don't believe that works or ever will work.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #42
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
VOD does not inherently disable ff/rew it depends on the show, HBO during their freeview last weekend allowed FF/REW of all of their programming that I played.

Also, I don't know where you got the idea you would ever get VOD on Channel 1, I don't believe that works or ever will work.
The ch 1 thing comes from the cabler box not TiVo, Comcast has VOD labeled on ch 1 in the TiVo channel lineup, a error that TiVo never corrected.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
beevik

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwill View Post
I do have access to On Demand content - in a way! In short, I can navigate around the content available but when I try to play something I hear audio, see 2-3 seconds of content (so, I basically have permission to see the content) but then it just freezes (no audio and a frozen picture). This happens on any content, 100% of the time
I'm also in the Seattle area and had the exact same problem. Fortunately, I was able to get it working with the help of a Comcast online rep. I highly recommend that you use the online rep. Phone reps couldn't help me, and I got bounced between 5 different people, all clueless.

Here is what the online rep told me she did to fix the problem:

She added the "Tivo Premier Cable Card Install" code, which is a free $0.00 code. When she first added it to my account, the problem didn't go away; I still got the freeze. Then she removed the code and added it again. At that point, my VOD started working.

When I asked her why it was so difficult to solve the problem, she said, "we need to really look for it, for the name is not labelled correctly in some accounts." So apparently the proper billing code is hard to find in their system. If they tell you it doesn't exist, let them know what this service rep told me.

(See my other thread for a complete transcript of my conversation with the online rep.)
beevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
Cleo256

I called the CableCARD number the other night and talked to a gentleman who acted like he knew exactly what the problem was. He did something on his end, my cable signal blinked out and blinked back on. I asked if he had set the "TiVo Premier Cable Card Install" code, and he said he had. Unfortunately, it still didn't work after that. If anything, it seems like it freezes faster now (after 1 second instead of 3).

I guess maybe there's some relationship between this issue and this other one (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...89#post9819289). Maybe this is something that TiVo and Comcast need to work together to solve? And I just need to sit tight?

At any rate, I'm probably going to hold off on bugging Comcast about it again until that TiVo/Fox/Seattle issue is worked out.
Cleo256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #45
jrtroo
User

Normally, its an issue with their back office in the card set up. call again or escallate through the email support for executive complaints.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #46
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Normally, its an issue with their back office in the card set up. call again or escallate through the email support for executive complaints.
executive complaints??? that sounds interesting. I have PLENTY!!!

Unfortunately, I had to get a new Tivo replacement box and have to do this all over again. This time getting the right pairing and validation code is a nightmare. Right now I have V=35. Before, after it finally worked I had V=26. The "special" number people said they did not have access to change the code so they transferred me to regular people. OMG. what a disaster. idiots times 100!!!!!!!!!! They tried to give me the Tivo number.

I will call again and try to get a different rep another time at the "special" number. However, the situation is different because last time I went from "?" to 26. Going from 35 to 26 (or whatever) might be a different issue. lucky me.

(at least thanks to this thread I could refresh myself on the details before I tackled the problem)

Last edited by hershey4 : 10-10-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: I had 26 and 35 mixed up.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #47
jmpage2

TiVo also has a number for assisting with cablecard setup.. at least they used to. I'm surprised you are having trouble with the Comcast cablecard line. I had my card swapped over in a few minutes.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #48
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
TiVo also has a number for assisting with cablecard setup..
but this is something on the comcast end of things. I can't imagine how Tivo could help other than call Comcast in a 3-way.

The general pairing went fine, but this last switch seems to be problematic. DId you have Comcast Xfinity On Demand app?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #49
skid71

I've called and chatted with Comcast several times to get this issue fixed. It's a lesson in patience and/or futility, take your pick. Now I have a tech coming out in a couple of weeks to try another cablecard. I'm thinking of just going to our local office and getting one myself.

It's not like we use it all the time, but it's handy to have.
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #50
hershey4

Quote:
I will call again and try to get a different rep another time at the "special" number. However, the situation is different because last time I went from "?" to 26. Going from 35 to 26 (or whatever) might be a different issue. ...
I never got around to calling back again but I happened to notice yesterday, that VOD was there!!! Not sure who did that or when it happened. The earlier time it was immediate. This time, there was definitely some significant amount of delay. Now V=0x36 fwiw.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #51
jmpage2

Quote:
but this is something on the comcast end of things. I can't imagine how Tivo could help other than call Comcast in a 3-way.

The general pairing went fine, but this last switch seems to be problematic. DId you have Comcast Xfinity On Demand app?
That's exactly what TiVo has done in the past to help customers with cable card setup... Set up a three way call with the cable provider to sort the issue out.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #52
tivoROCKSme

Just looking for clarification. Will Xfinity On Demand work on my TivoHD?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #53
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoROCKSme View Post
It depends what area/market you are in.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #54
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoROCKSme View Post
I think you need a Premiere or a Roamio to have Xfinity on Demand work. As mentioned above, it is location dependant too.

Check out the bottom of this page and enter your zip code to see if it is available in your area.

http://www.tivo.com/discover/cable
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #55
crwalter2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo256 View Post
Having the same issue described in the original post. Spent 90 minutes on the line with Comcast last night, talking to a 2nd-level rep who really sincerely believed I misunderstood how this was supposed to work, that my account included On Demand, but that I had to watch it over the web or my smartphone, and that the TiVo itself wouldn't actually play it.
Maybe he thought he works for FIOS, instead of Comcast.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #56
sayremr

+1

I also had to drive to the Comcast store and have them add the Tivo Premier code. Previous calls to tech support and a chat session did not work.

After the code was added, the Xfinity app disappeared from the list of video providers on Tivo. This required a connection with Tivo to re-enable it.

Then a 6th and final call to the Comcast Cable Card phone line resulted in a tech who knew what he was doing. He confirmed that the Tivo Premier code was in place. He repaired the cable card after the code was in the system and that finally solved the problem.

Total investment of my time exceeded 3 hours and 6 phone calls to Comcast.
sayremr is offline   Reply With Quote