TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #91
pautler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Biggest issue with Roamio WiFi I see is there is no "off" button. Once you've enabled it, even when you plug in ethernet cable or use MoCA the WiFi link remains alive. After testing it out of curiosity (I am wired now) I had to choose a neighbor's WiFi network and enter a bogus password to effectively turn it off - prior to that my router kept showing my Roamio as a wireless client. It would seem like this could create network collisions and may explain some of the networking problems some are having with Roamios.
It wouldn't necessarily cause any problems, but any/all devices that are using RF (including WiFi clients, cordless phones, microwaves, etc) will certainly increase the amount of collisions and interference in the airwaves, and will decrease the performance of other WiFi devices. There really should be a way to turn off the WiFi on the Roamio if you're not using it (because you are using a wired connection instead).

Can anyone confirm that there was indeed a software update yesterday, and that it resolves the 'green switch' issue?

My Roamio & Mini are scheduled for delivery on Monday, and I need to add another switch to my home network. I was planning on ordering the D-Link DGS-1008G from Amazon, but I want to be sure that it will work ok. If not, I'll order the Netgear GS608NA ($15 more).

Thanks!

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #92
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pautler View Post
It wouldn't necessarily cause any problems, but any/all devices that are using RF (including WiFi clients, cordless phones, microwaves, etc) will certainly increase the amount of collisions and interference in the airwaves, and will decrease the performance of other WiFi devices. There really should be a way to turn off the WiFi on the Roamio if you're not using it (because you are using a wired connection instead).

Can anyone confirm that there was indeed a software update yesterday, and that it resolves the 'green switch' issue?

My Roamio & Mini are scheduled for delivery on Monday, and I need to add another switch to my home network. I was planning on ordering the D-Link DGS-1008G from Amazon, but I want to be sure that it will work ok. If not, I'll order the Netgear GS608NA ($15 more).

Thanks!

-Joe
Margaret said it did in the thread about the update. But I have not gone back to my green Dlink switch to test it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Yes, three main fixes in the 10/9 update:
- a fix for the problem connecting to "green switches"
- support for older versions of Motorola CableCARDS from Verizon
- a fix for failed recordings and fast-forward/rewind problems on some channels (like FOX in Seattle)

I expect another update within two weeks that will include fixes for:
- boxes that reboot when connected to some models of TV and the TV is OFF
- TiVo Minis that lose HDMI sync with some models of TV, and have to be rebooted
- missed recordings and video glitches due to back-to-back recordings
- improvements in RF remote reception in areas with WiFi interference

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #93
Tweety_pbe98

Strange Issue with Fios

Setup:
I have a Tivo Roamio Plus connected via ethernet and a Mini connected via Moca. I have Fios with coax from the box to an Actiontec router. Everything worked fine for about a month.

Problem:
Twice in the past two weeks the Actiontec router has completely stopped working. All the indicator lights on both the router and the Fios box are showing no problems, but I have no internet access and cannot even access the router to diagnose the connection issue.

Current Workaround:
After much trial and error, I realized that disconnecting the COAX from the Roamio solved all my problems. I tried swapping out every piece of coax and the splitter, but nothing worked if the Roamio remained connected. The first time, I thought that I might have setup Moca broadcasting on the Roamio and that it was interfering somehow with the Actiontec. I disabled Moca on the Roamio and rebooted everything and everything worked for a little over a week. Then the same problem occurred; the Actiontec was completely out of commission. I unplugged the coax from the Roamio and everything worked fine. I plugged the coax back in and rebooted and all was well.

Tivo customer service is blaming the Router, but I'm not clear how this is the router's fault since disconnecting the coax from the Tivo immediately solves all issues.

Has anyone seen a similar issue? Could it be some Moca leak from the Roamio?
Tweety_pbe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #94
jmpage2

Do you have a PoE filter installed? This sounds like a MoCA type of issue. To prove it you could simply turn off MoCA on the Roamio for a few days and see if you still have this issue.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #95
Tweety_pbe98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Do you have a PoE filter installed? This sounds like a MoCA type of issue. To prove it you could simply turn off MoCA on the Roamio for a few days and see if you still have this issue.
I have MoCA turned off on the Roamio. I'm using the Fios MoCA network for the Mini. I don't have a POE filter. I didn't think I needed one with Fios.
Tweety_pbe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #96
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_pbe98 View Post
Setup:
I have a Tivo Roamio Plus connected via ethernet and a Mini connected via Moca. I have Fios with coax from the box to an Actiontec router. Everything worked fine for about a month.

Problem:
Twice in the past two weeks the Actiontec router has completely stopped working. All the indicator lights on both the router and the Fios box are showing no problems, but I have no internet access and cannot even access the router to diagnose the connection issue.

Tivo customer service is blaming the Router, but I'm not clear how this is the router's fault since disconnecting the coax from the Tivo immediately solves all issues.

Has anyone seen a similar issue? Could it be some Moca leak from the Roamio?
No POE filter needed with Fios.

Have you tried using the Roamio without the ethernet, and using it as a moca client like the Mini?

This might have popped up before... Not sure exactly what's going on but it seems like a bug where Tivo can sometimes jam the Actiontec's moca network even when not explicitly selected to create its own moca network.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-10-2013 at 10:35 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #97
PHeadland

The 10/9 update has cured the "green switch" problem on my Roamio Pro.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #98
IMD

I just added a Roamio Plus to my collection. I was just going to run over to BestBuy to pick up a Gigabit switch before I stumbled across this thread. Can you recommend a good Gigabit Switch (5 or 8-port) that is compatible with the Roamio, or did the update make all switches compatible now?
Thanks!
IMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #99
jmpage2

The "green switch" issue is resolved, as you should see from this and other threads. Get whatever gigabit switch you like. Personally I like the d-link green switches as they have extremely low power consumption and good performance.... and no problems with the TiVo that I am aware of.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #100
DigitalDawn

As a Control4 dealer we are always instructed to use higher-end networking gear. So I've learned to never buy any of the cheaper residential stuff if possible.

I recently purchased the Cisco SR2016T 16-Port Gigabit Switch, and it's been great. Using it with a Roamio Pro, XL4, 5 Minis, and several home automation products.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #101
aaronwt
HD Addict

The cheaper residential gigabit switches work perfectly fine. They are just unmanaged switches.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #102
DebiLee

Ok so is there a list of routers and switches that are problematic with the Romeo? What about the Linksys SE2800 8 port gigabit switch one any of their SMART routers?
DebiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #103
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
Ok so is there a list of routers and switches that are problematic with the Romeo? What about the Linksys SE2800 8 port gigabit switch one any of their SMART routers?
Could you please say how tech-smart you are, and if you are having problems, or just looking for advice before buying? Could you please list any routers and/or switches you may already have, and/or are using? Also, could you please describe your network config, and what you intend to change about it, with some idea of what combination of devices you intend to have on it, by what means?

I get accused of being overly-technical, and some people here get mad when my advice isn't "buy the cheapest one that meets your needs".

I'll say that I love the Netgear GS605AV switches, which often go on sale on Newegg, for as low as $19.99 ($14.99 after rebate), like right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122363 It doesn't get much cheaper than that, for a quality unmanaged switch, that has functions often reserved for managed, smart, or more expensive switches.

It's not a smart/managed switch. It's a Priority Tag/QoS honoring switch that will either assign priority (itself) by what color-coded port you use, or will honor the router QoS rules that can be set on many modern consumer-grade routers. It meant for AV use, and has worked great for me, both for TiVo, and for cured my VoIP issues, which would have otherwise required each VoIP box to go straight into the router switch (like TiVo wants the Roamios connected, to avoid dealing with tech support for switches beyond the built-in router switch).
Old 08-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #104
DebiLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Could you please say how tech-smart you are, and if you are having problems, or just looking for advice before buying? Could you please list any routers and/or switches you may already have, and/or are using? Also, could you please describe your network config, and what you intend to change about it, with some idea of what combination of devices you intend to have on it, by what means?

I get accused of being overly-technical, and some people here get mad when my advice isn't "buy the cheapest one that meets your needs".

I'll say that I love the Netgear GS605AV switches, which often go on sale on Newegg, for as low as $19.99 ($14.99 after rebate), like right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122363 It doesn't get much cheaper than that, for a quality unmanaged switch, that has functions often reserved for managed, smart, or more expensive switches.

It's not a smart/managed switch. It's a Priority Tag/QoS honoring switch that will either assign priority (itself) by what color-coded port you use, or will honor the router QoS rules that can be set on many modern consumer-grade routers. It meant for AV use, and has worked great for me, both for TiVo, and for cured my VoIP issues, which would have otherwise required each VoIP box to go straight into the router switch (like TiVo wants the Roamios connected, to avoid dealing with tech support for switches beyond the built-in router switch).
Extremely tech savvy, looking to learn all I can for my clients. Gigabit Cat 6 Ethernet throughout. Routers are Linksys WRT1900AC and switches are Linksys SE2800 and Linksys SE3008. What would be added to the network are Linksys LAPAC1750 wireless access points, four TiVo Roamio Pro units, three TiVo Premiere 4 units, and three TiVo Stream units. Also Western Digital My Book AV extenders on each DVR. I realize that's a lot but there are very large numbers of users per household.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #105
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Extremely tech savvy, looking to learn all I can for my clients. Gigabit Cat 6 Ethernet throughout. Routers are Linksys WRT1900AC and switches are Linksys SE2800 and Linksys SE3008. What would be added to the network are Linksys LAPAC1750 wireless access points, four TiVo Roamio Pro units, three TiVo Premiere 4 units, and three TiVo Stream units. Also Western Digital My Book AV extenders on each DVR. I realize that's a lot but there are very large numbers of users per household.
Wow! I can honestly say I have never owned, used, or setup any of those particular devices (other than the TiVos). I'll take a guess, that you are a professional installer, and just wish to avoid using switches outside a list of "acceptable" or "supported" ones TiVo is hiding somewhere.

Here's the bad news: TiVo will only provide support for ethernet with switches, if the ethernet switches are built-into the router. I don't even think they provide support for multiple router scenarios. They only provide support for ethernet home runs to a single router, and a built-in switch. There is no secret "approved" or "supported" list of switches (or it's one of TiVo's best-kept secrets).

The argument that some have is the definition of "support", when TiVo says "Sorry, we don't support switches". I, like others see this as "Sorry, we don't (provide technical) support (for) switches". They do, however, provide technical support for MoCA (for whatever their reasoning is).

The switches I mentioned in my prior post have worked wonders for me. Many here claim that it's not possible for the results to have been from the switches, or that I'm networking incorrectly, and have applied a band-aid, lucking-out it worked. Many say "buy the cheapest one that meets your needs, case-closed". Some even take TiVo's side, and say if you need help with a switch, call the company that made the switch, not TiVo.

I would advise using switches that match the brands of routers you use. I use netgear, so besides the GS605AV ones I use at endpoints, I use the unmanaged GS108 switches where honoring and passing packet tags is necessary, but using GS605AV would be restrictive, and the unmanaged, but highly configurable, GS108E, where I might want to not use the just-short-of-managed switch functions built-into the router.

For netgear, the GS108E is what I'd recommend for the tech-savvy, not wanting a fully managed, or smart switch, also for those not fond of "by color" things.

As for the product brands you use, I'm better-off letting those who have experience with your specific routers take over.

Some swear they can use any switch, any time, any place, for the lowest price, and never have an issue. It did seem it was that simple, before the Roamio came out...
Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #106
DebiLee

I do dabble here and there with installations for fun, yes. Not looking for any lists, was just curious if the switches I listed would have any problems with the green fiasco mentioned in earlier posts. I know TiVo doesn't like to support switches in their troubleshooting steps but I'm not sure why they'd need to be told that one is in place since they can't see. One could easily connect the upstream Ethernet cable to a TiVo or network device that has its own Ethernet cable via RJ45 coupler and bypass the switch or fib and say one is not in place at all or just relocate devices or router to each other? TiVo I think also supports MoCA since they use it in their own products as well as sell MoCA bridges.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #107
JWhites

Those Linksys SE2800 switches I use all the time and they're constantly hammered with data day and night. I've installed them in data centers and enterprise networks in daisy chains (not the best solution but it's what the boss wanted and works great) and I haven't had to replace a single switch going on I think seven years now since initial installation. I use these switches at home as well because of their reliability and cool factor.

Last edited by JWhites : 08-26-2014 at 04:02 AM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #108
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I do dabble here and there with installations for fun, yes. Not looking for any lists, was just curious if the switches I listed would have any problems with the green fiasco mentioned in earlier posts. I know TiVo doesn't like to support switches in their troubleshooting steps but I'm not sure why they'd need to be told that one is in place since they can't see. One could easily connect the upstream Ethernet cable to a TiVo or network device that has its own Ethernet cable via RJ45 coupler and bypass the switch or fib and say one is not in place at all or just relocate devices or router to each other? TiVo I think also supports MoCA since they use it in their own products as well as sell MoCA bridges.
The "green" or "energy efficient ethernet" switch problem was addressed quite a while ago. I was worried that the shipping software would still have it (a legit concern, a bit short of a year ago), but it didn't stop my installs, or cause a failure to update to the software with the "fix". I had changed to all green switches, before the Roamio came out. A workaround was to simply place a non-green switch between the TiVo and green switch, until updated with the fix, then remove it.

I'm not even going to speculate on the rest of it. It sounds like you'll be fine.