Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Tomorrow People 10/9/2013 (S01E01) "Pilot"

The CW knows how to do a superhero show.

Marvel should be ashamed.

The Tomorrow People was great. Kinda neat that we've got two actors out of the same extended family playing the lead roles on two different shows on the same network.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

To be fair, this is a completely different show than SHIELD. Which is, among other things, kind of the opposite of a superhero show (i.e., a show without superheroes set in a superhero world).

But you're right in that so far, TP does what it does far better than SHIELD does what it does.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
mattack

Quote:
The Tomorrow People was great. Kinda neat that we've got two actors out of the same extended family playing the lead roles on two different shows on the same network.
Not even "extended" family -- Zooey Deschanel on "New Girl" and Emily Deschanel of "Bones".

(Tangent -- Richard Anderson playing Oscar Goldman on ABC (The Six Million Dollar Man) and NBC (The Bionic Woman) at the same time.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
(Tangent -- Richard Anderson playing Oscar Goldman on ABC (The Six Million Dollar Man) and NBC (The Bionic Woman) at the same time.)
Or in that vein, Richard Belzer playing John Munch on, well, virtually every cop show ever made.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
kdmorse

Quote:

I didn't even know this show existed until now. But I liked it.

It's really odd how standard and formulatic the setup was - and how well it worked. Sure, it's another coming-of-age superhero show, one of many. But if it's good and entertaining, who the hell cares...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Flop

I liked it. A bit formulaic in setup, but the execution was good. Although not extravagant, the special effects were done well too.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

A bit heavy on the Dawson Casting.

And they audio cut "wet dream?" Interesting.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
A bit heavy on the Dawson Casting.
So generically Dawsony were the first two male characters, that I initially thought they were the same person. And when they first met and we saw the subway/underground for the second time, I thought maybe the premise of the show was going to be one person, with their 'tomorrow' actions overlapping the current days actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
And they audio cut "wet dream?" Interesting.
Not only did they cut it, but they cut it so badly that they took out the background noise out with it. The brief moment of silence for the exact right amount of time practically screamed "WET".
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
JYoung
Series 3

I had heard of the British series that this is based on but had never seen it.

I was originally going to give this a pass, afraid that this would be another CW teenage angst fest but it doesn't seem to have gone there yet.

Seeing that Greg Berlanti was involved and Mark Pellegrino was a regular changed my mind and I found the pilot interesting and want to see more.

I did smile a bit when Robbie Amell was wearing red and green hoodies.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
Church AV Guy

Quote:
I had heard of the British series that this is based on but had never seen it.

Well, it was on in the early 80s on Nickelodeon so it's not surprising that you missed it. I have to admit, as least in part, there were similarities between this pilot episode and the pilot episode of the original series--well as much as I remember it anyway. I think the computer had a different name. I also recall that they could teleport short distances by themselves, but for longer distance teleportation, they needed some computerized assist for navigation. I seem to remember that they would get easily lost after a certain teleport "length".

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
Peter000

Pretty good. I'm in.

A bit too CWish for me, but since that's the network, I'll forgive it.

That mole beneath the guy's lip is distracting. In a bad way.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
danterner
Not it!

I liked it enough that I'll keep watching. His decision at the end took it from "meh" to "okay, I'm in, for now," for me. I was glad to see Mark Pelligrino involved. Can Mark Sheppard be far behind?

It took me a few minutes to recall why I recognized his mom - Nina Myers, from 24.

I had an audio miss-sync that persisted through the episode, just on this one channel, that was just far enough off that it made it seem like everything was dubbed into English.

I was surprised at how bad some of the fight choreography was - on a large number of occasions it was very easy to see that the stage punches were nowhere near connecting. Normally shows are better at using camera angles that obfuscate more and make it appear that the hits are landing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I was surprised at how bad some of the fight choreography was - on a large number of occasions it was very easy to see that the stage punches were nowhere near connecting. Normally shows are better at using camera angles that obfuscate more and make it appear that the hits are landing.
Probably complicated by the fact that in a lot of the shots the actors aren't on the same set (i.e., when they're teleporting in and out, and often throwing punches at the same time)...

Hopefully they'll work out the challenges of combining extensive CGI with fight scenes.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Had same audio problem here. I couldn't look at their faces when they were talking.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Peter000

fortunately audio was fine here. THAT would have driven me insane.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I had an audio miss-sync that persisted through the episode, just on this one channel, that was just far enough off that it made it seem like everything was dubbed into English.
There was also a closed-caption miss-sync. The words often appeared a couple seconds after the audio, which is really, really disconcerting for us faithful CC viewers. Wonder if it's related?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hope I don't start another which really came first argument, but did anyone else feel like it was a mashup of X-Men and the Matrix?

I group of mutants looking for "the one"?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I hope I don't start another which really came first argument, but did anyone else feel like it was a mashup of X-Men and the Matrix? I group of mutants looking for "the one"?
The whole way though, I kept thinking "poor-man's X-Men."

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Well, it was on in the early 80s on Nickelodeon so it's not surprising that you missed it.
Plenty of vintage Tomorrow People stuff out there on the internet...

But if you enjoyed watching Tomorrow People in the 80s, don't go searching out the old footage, since you'll probably be appalled by the bad acting and 1970s production values.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
nyc13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Plenty of vintage Tomorrow People stuff out there on the internet...

But if you enjoyed watching Tomorrow People in the 80s, don't go searching out the old footage, since you'll probably be appalled by the bad acting and 1970s production values.
I enjoyed watching it on Nickelodeon as a a kid and still managed to enjoy rewatching it a year or so ago. But I knew it was cheesy when I first watched it.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I think the computer had a different name. I also recall that they could teleport short distances by themselves, but for longer distance teleportation, they needed some computerized assist for navigation. I seem to remember that they would get easily lost after a certain teleport "length".
I'm pretty sure that the computer in the original series was also called Tim, but I think that it was an acronym then.

I seem to recall that the original series called their teleportation "jaunting", and I think they wore some computerized assistive device, like a belt or wristband, that helped them "jaunt".

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Shakhari

I thought Mark Pellegrino was really over the top. It was almost like he forgot he was on a different show and was still playing Lucifer on Supernatural.

And what is it with Hollywood that they don't get that telekinesis is moving things with your mind? Apparently, TK doesn't work on screen without being accompanied by dramatic hand gestures.

Oh, and the Tomorrow People are genetically incapable of killing? How convenient ...
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post

Oh, and the Tomorrow People are genetically incapable of killing? How convenient ...
I hope that the show explores that with different scenarios. Take, for example, the first Spider-Man movie, where the thug that kills Uncle Ben, having been cornered by Spider-Man, trips over a pipe and falls out the factory window to his death. If Peter Parker were a Tomorrow Person, what would have happened?

If Walter White were a Tomorrow Person, would the outcome for

Spoiler:
Jane
have been any different?

How about for
Spoiler:
Gus
?

How directly do you have to be trying to kill the person? Can you intentionally, with malice aforethought, set up a Rube Goldberg device that results in their death, inevitably but indirectly?

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I've known about this show for a while and could have sworn I set my DVR to record it. Just checked and I'm not seeing it recorded. Off to usenet when I get home.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Peter000

Quote:
How directly do you have to be trying to kill the person? Can you intentionally, with malice aforethought, set up a Rube Goldberg device that results in their death, inevitably but indirectly?
Or inversely, if a Tomorrow Person sees a person that's about to die, does their genetics compel them to save that person? Ala the three laws of robotics?

Spoiler:
(I guess that's the Jane scenario you mention in BB)

EDIT: Upon reflection, I don't think so. They're able to beat up and hurl people across the room. That could lead to a mortal injury. Intent must matter.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
What if you know the gun is loaded with blanks, and you're firing at a distance you know the person you're firing at won't be harmed in any way by anything ejected by the firing of the blank... but someone, completely unbeknownst to you, and when you thought there's no possible way anyone could have gotten access to the gun to do so, has replaced the blanks with real bullets...

Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I've known about this show for a while and could have sworn I set my DVR to record it. Just checked and I'm not seeing it recorded. Off to usenet when I get home.
repeats tomorrow
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
And what is it with Hollywood that they don't get that telekinesis is moving things with your mind? Apparently, TK doesn't work on screen without being accompanied by dramatic hand gestures.
I just roll with it and assume the hand gestures help them with their focus so they can do whatever it is they are trying to do.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I hope I don't start another which really came first argument, but did anyone else feel like it was a mashup of X-Men and the Matrix?

I group of mutants looking for "the one"?
Felt more like Jumper or Push.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #30
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
Felt more like Jumper or Push.
I think it's clearly drawing from certain common precepts in the genre, if not outright from several of the shows that have been mentioned. But then, it's certainly better that it draws from several in different ways than it being just a remake with no though about stories, characters or plot arcs, which is what too many new series are guilty of being.

Keep it interesting to the viewer. Develop the characters. Move the story along intelligently. Maintain some level of consistency within the Universe as its laid out for the show. Don't dumb it down, but simply allow some things to go over the heads of some viewers. And it'll do well.

And frankly Jumper, Push, X-Men and Matrix are certainly among some of the enjoyable top 10-20% of movies I've seen, too. So all in all, that's a pretty good pedigree.