TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
markp99
TakoKichi

pyTiVo Pushed Recording - not streamable on Ipad

I pushed a recording (.mp4) to my Roamio using pyTiVo. I notice I cannot stream this program (or any others like it) on an iPad. Only option is to watch now on the TV.

I am guessing there is video a format issue here that Roamio can decode on the fly, but ipad cannot handle.

Any suggestions to make .mp4 an iPad compatible format?

I'm guessing KMTTG can assist here, but my results with that tool have been meager so far.

Suggestions?
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Alan_r

Just a guess, but maybe it only supports streaming of .tivo files?

How about just trying kmttg to download that .mp4 as a .tivo (is that even possible?) then pushing it back in that format and try to stream?
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
tatergator1

This is a known issue with the built-in stream in the Roamio's as well as the stand-alone streams; they are unable to stream native .mp4 files to an iPad. It's believed this is a software limitation and will eventually be fixed, but no one knows for sure at this point. The same problem is encountered by Tivo owners whose cable company has started to broadcast certain channels in H.264 (.mp4); recordings from H.264 channels cannot be streamed to an iPad.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
moyekj

If you're making mp4 files why push them to the TiVo and then the iPad? Just transfer to the iPad directly assuming they are iPad compatible to begin with.

If you must go the pyTivo route then PULL them to the TiVo so they are transcoded to mpeg2 (assuming you don't use ts=on setting), and then you can stream that to the iPad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
markp99
TakoKichi

pyTiVo Pushed Recording - not streamable on Ipad

Wife wanted to stream that program while I watched baseball.

Just tried pulling from TiVo then stream to ipad. Worked.

Thanks
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
mattack

You could watch them in e.g. VLC directly on your iPad. You can quickly transfer them to the iPad in iTunes.. select iPad, select Apps "Tab", go down to the apps section at the bottom, select VLC, and drag the file to the right column.. Sounds like a lot of steps, but it is easy.

I use this for SOME shows instead of directly transferring with Tivo Stream, since with VLC, I can play faster than realtime with sound (which is useful for talk shows & the fluff of reality shows).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
mike1273

Just stream the m4vs to iPad with Air Video.
mike1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
ajayabb

Or you can use VLC Streamer and stream videos to your device without having to drag and drop with itunes. http://hobbyistsoftware.com/vlcstreamer

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
mattack

I may try out that VLC streamer.. But I wonder if it's fast enough... When I tried downloading over a "direct" wifi connection (private network created by the computer), it took FOREVER to download.. drag & drop in iTunes was much much faster.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote